Jalen Harris to redshirt then transfer

GwillMac6

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Prior meetings could have happened last year or over the summer. Shrug. I know nothing. 

I'll say this: if Harris, NCM, Jayvaughn and Barrett all leave, we'll lose virtually nothing in terms of production and the freshmen who are producing will only be further emboldened. And those guys might land somewhere that is a better fit. I don't like what it says about our staff's ability to scout, recruit and develop- I mean, it might not say anything negative, but it definitely doesn't say anything positive- but I don't think it's really a loss for the program. 

I don't think anyone is referencing losing those guys as losing production, but its a bad look for a couple reasons:

1. its just a bad look to recruits in general, and other coaches will be using it in negative recruiting 

2. you lose guys that at least was around when the system was operating efficiently last season to pass it on to those freshmen

3. you lose your best blocking TE and WR on an offense that can't block anyway. Not to mention losing two guys at a position that barely has depth 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, bigbird said:

Hahaha...so if the two most important things on offense get better we'll be fine?  Man do I feel better...

?   But, hey....you are a coach....don't you expect the players to get better each game?     But you are right......if they don't ….not gonna be an easy season.  

As for the TE being a good safety valve for our QB, can't disagree but right now I'm still looking for our QB to find his second option on most pass plays though he has found Cox a few times as our safety valve or maybe it was designed that way for him to look one way and then throw back but mostly you can tell where the ball is going by just following JS's eyes/head.   

And transfer wave?    check Mikey's comments.   Guys transferring are not critical to the success of the team and for better or worse that includes the latest announced transfer.    Players have to go where they are happy and not many guys with high goals are happy sitting on a bench somewhere.  Jalen got his degree and some grad work too....so good for him if he can find a place to play another season.

So AU is still a top 10 rated team.?  not sure you could tell it from reading this site....:dunno:    

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I hope you're right. I just fear that he's led them before but nobody was buying what he was selling. 

It's not like there have been many chances/reasons to have a players only meeting lately. I mean after the LSU loss last year, sure but he was still new to the team at that point. He wasn't going to be leading any at that point. Then there wouldn't have been any reason to have another one until around the SEC Championship. 

There haven't been many reasons to have one at other times. 

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Prior meetings could have happened last year or over the summer. Shrug. I know nothing. 

I'll say this: if Harris, NCM, Jayvaughn and Barrett all leave, we'll lose virtually nothing in terms of production and the freshmen who are producing will only be further emboldened. And those guys might land somewhere that is a better fit. I don't like what it says about our staff's ability to scout, recruit and develop- I mean, it might not say anything negative, but it definitely doesn't say anything positive- but I don't think it's really a loss for the program. 

Lane Kiffin is waiting to add them to his roster!

If all this is true just doesn't seem good for team chemistry. Just from reading on here sounds seems like the team is cliquey and dividing. Hopefully this is just a few players and is not taking over the team. I can definitely see the frustration with NCM and the other guys. NCM is one of my favorite players and love how he plays. I'm as frustrated as everybody else but at the end of the day Coaches are going to play the best guy, to me they are obviously being out performed at practice.  Heck I don't know, Auburn couldn't have Saturday come soon enough to put last week behind them.

6 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It's not like there have been many chances/reasons to have a players only meeting lately. I mean after the LSU loss last year, sure but he was still new to the team at that point. He wasn't going to be leading any at that point. Then there wouldn't have been any reason to have another one until around the SEC Championship. 

There haven't been many reasons to have one at other times. 

After LSU loss, after the UCF loss going into the offseason. Heck, the rumor around the mill was he wasn't going to come back unless he got more responsibility. Heck, if you want that type of responsibility, you got to earn it. And here we are once again.

1 minute ago, bmartin3228 said:

If all this is true just doesn't seem good for team chemistry. Just from reading on here sounds seems like the team is cliquey and dividing. Hopefully this is just a few players and is not taking over the team. I can definitely see the frustration with NCM and the other guys. NCM is one of my favorite players and love how he plays. I'm as frustrated as everybody else but at the end of the day Coaches are going to play the best guy, to me they are obviously being out performed at practice.  Heck I don't know, Auburn couldn't have Saturday come soon enough to put last week behind them.

I wonder if there reaches a point where some players have the view that "I'm a senior" and I have the right to start or play more".   

I'm surprised at how the freshmen have stood up already this season and gotta be some upper classmen not happy about that. 

Just now, DAG said:

Heck, the rumor around the mill was he wasn't going to come back unless he got more responsibility. Heck, if you want that type of responsibility, you got to earn it. 

He did earn it last year imo. 

Yeah that's true post bowl game, but I'm just saying there haven't been many opportunities for him to hold a players only meeting. 

I just hope this turns out to be a rumor. It's going to hurt losing NCM. And it's going to hurt far worse than just losing his production. *Pickens is watching* I'd like to hear some insight from Momma Worm on this... 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I wonder if there reaches a point where some players have the view that "I'm a senior" and I have the right to start or play more".   

I'm surprised at how the freshmen have stood up already this season and gotta be some upper classmen not happy about that. 

By all accounts, NCM has worked his ass off to get better at blocking and everything else they've asked of him. But your comment might not be directed at him.

Agreed that it can't be a positive for a guy like NCM, who has been languishing for 3 years now, to see guys like Williams and Schwartz get just as many or more looks 3 games into their careers. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

That's what I was getting at but did not want to make assumptions. I hate this attitude , if someone comes in and beats you , you should use that to get better and be better. This may not be case , but I am a head baseball coach in high school in GA. Well I started 3 freshman on varsity over some older guys. All the PARENTS and older players did was cry about it and not fight for it on playing field. Well they quit or were RAN off and we just had best season in school history.

Maybe they realized they aren't going to be better then those guy either way. You know stuff always happens like this on majority of teams after the type of loss Auburn Suffered last weekend. Its just a tough situation. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

By all accounts, NCM has worked his ass off to get better at blocking and everything else they've asked of him. But your comment might not be directed at him.

Agreed that it can't be a positive for a guy like NCM, who has been languishing for 3 years now, to see guys like Williams and Schwartz get just as many or more looks 3 games into their careers. 

I didn't have anyone particular in mind....just noting the situation overall where lots of young guys have moved up the depth chart right away and left older guys behind in the skill positions as some call them....WR, RB, etc.... 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That is true , Just from watching be blocks his but off and gets after it when he's out there.  

10 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Heard Cannella as well... what is Gus doing 

I want to know what they did during the month of August. Gus has never used all the weapons on the sideline.

Does any other team have this kind of rumor/issues? I hate this perceived lackadaisical attitude from the coaching staff.

Jalen was a good one the couple of times I saw him touch the ball. 

We can have a field day passing the rock around, utilizing weapons, generating excitement. The reason is this: We'll only lose the same four games we're gonna lose anyway. It's stupid how we do it.

2 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

That is true , Just from watching be blocks his but off and gets after it when he's out there.  

Yep. For all we know, he's doing *exactly* what he's asked in every game, on every play.

It's not like we have a bunch of really accomplished passing game philosophers coaching this team. Between Gus, Chip and Kodi, I'm not sure how many WRs they've coached are in the NFL but it's not very many. Meanwhile, LSU, bama, uga and Clemson (who we've played more than most SEC East teams) can all claim multiple early round draft picks over the last few years. 

It's astounding to me that we've been able to recruit the position like we have. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. 

NCM is the most cheated player on the roster if you have to pick one not being utilized correctly.

The following should transfer if they really want to show what they can do or at least have fun at a much smaller school:

• Devin Adams
  • Devan Barrett
  • Malik Miller
  • CJ Tolbert
  • Sal Cannella
  • Jalen Harris
  • Nate Craig-Myers
  • Marquis McClain
  • Dalton Brown

Agreed with both sides of this argument that 1. we wouldn't lose much production from this group and how some of them are currently being used and 2. that the more that transfer the more red flags on the Gus Ship start flying. At least it would open up some more spots in recruiting. Regardless of how this year plays out I think next year will be a rebuilding type season with some promising positions here and there. Lots of young or inexperienced players will be leaned on next year.

6 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

I want to know what they did during the month of August. Gus has never used all the weapons on the sideline.

Does any other team have this kind of rumor/issues? I hate this perceived lackadaisical attitude from the coaching staff.

I'll say this. Every football team in the history of ever has had backups complaining about playing time and hyping each other up about quitting or leaving. Negativity attracts more negativity. However, in this case I think some of the players complaining have legitimate grievances. When three games in, with a NFL caliber quarterback, your leading receiver only has just north of 100 yards... things aren't being handle correctly. No reason we didn't use Alabama State to work on our passing and timing.

When we threw the ball with real routes, no bubble and tunnel screens, we had success moving downfield. We just rarely threw it with legitimate routes and reads for JS to go through. The playbook must be awfully thin...

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'll say this. Every football team in the history of ever has had backups complaining about playing time and hyping each other up about quitting or leaving. Negativity attracts more negativity. However, in this case I think some of the players complaining have legitimate grievances. When three games in, with a NFL caliber quarterback, your leading receiver only has just north of 100 yards... things aren't being handle correctly. No reason we didn't use Alabama State to work on our passing and timing.

When we threw the ball with real routes, no bubble and tunnel screens, we had success moving downfield. We just rarely threw it with legitimate routes and reads for JS to go through. The playbook must be awfully thin...

the Auburn playbook is on an index card and every team we play has it. If additional plays are required there is a web link to Gus's book

15 hours ago, alexava said:

If we threw passes to all the receivers that we bitch about not throwing passes to.....we’d have 80 pass attempts a game. 

While that might be true. Coaches need to realize these guys want to play in the NFL someday. If not only for the sake of AU then for the sake of an extremely loyal and good player like Jalen, Gus and Chip should have made an effort to at least target him once in a while. As other have said he has shown the good hands. I think now we will miss him greatly for his blocking. Just stupid in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. For all we know, he's doing *exactly* what he's asked in every game, on every play.

It's not like we have a bunch of really accomplished passing game philosophers coaching this team. Between Gus, Chip and Kodi, I'm not sure how many WRs they've coached are in the NFL but it's not very many. Meanwhile, LSU, bama, uga and Clemson (who we've played more than most SEC East teams) can all claim multiple early round draft picks over the last few years. 

It's astounding to me that we've been able to recruit the position like we have. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. 

I completely understand , didn't want that assumption of a player that he wasn't doing right. I just stated if that mindset does come into play , its very common especially these days. Like I said I have always liked him , and know we got a long ways to come in the passing game. One that makes me the maddest is the scramble drill. instead of short receivers taking off and long guys running in , most time I look down field at games our receivers are taught to just start blocking it seems instead of getting open. Usually that's when a lot of  big plays can happen. It made Baker Mayfields career in college

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I didn't have anyone particular in mind....just noting the situation overall where lots of young guys have moved up the depth chart right away and left older guys behind in the skill positions as some call them....WR, RB, etc.... 

And this trend may not be unusual, I don't know...but it worries me to have so many upperclassmen consistently be outperformed by players just entering the program. It seems to reflect a notable lack of player development. If these rumors turn out to be true, we may not lose much in immediate numbers but we'll lose depth and have more difficulty recruiting skill positions. We have a lot of coaches on our staff who are known primarily for recruiting. It's hugely important - no doubt - but we need to grow as a team or a couple of off recruiting years will kill us eventually. 

1 minute ago, bmartin3228 said:

I completely understand , didn't want that assumption of a player that he wasn't doing right. I just stated if that mindset does come into play , its very common especially these days. Like I said I have always liked him , and know we got a long ways to come in the passing game. One that makes me the maddest is the scramble drill. instead of short receivers taking off and long guys running in , most time I look down field at games our receivers are taught to just start blocking it seems instead of getting open. Usually that's when a lot of  big plays can happen. It made Baker Mayfields career in college

Absolutely. You haven't suggested anything negative about Nate and I hope my responses haven't come across otherwise. Appreciate your thoughts. 

Archived