Will Stidham Return for 2019 Season?

triangletiger

Poll: Will Stidham return for 2019?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. I know it's still early in the season and a lot can happen between now and the end of the season, but, so far, Jarrett Stidham hasn't looked like a QB who's ready to take his game to the next level. He certainly has the physical tools, but may need some more development on the mental side. That being said, does anyone think he will return to Auburn for his senior season?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, EagleReedle said:

Makes sense. When you have a qb who can throw to them then you do well with that. War Eagle. 

Yup, Stidham and Nix have been good for WR recruiting plus Kodi Burns has done a tremendous job recruiting.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think Stidham will not come back next year. It will be interesting to see how Gus develops his backups this year.  Time will tell.  If Gus goes the juco route in the off season, it will be telling. 

Seriously doubt it. His arm talent and skill set are enough for teams to take him, and probably fairly highly too. NFL scouts probably look at his work in this offense and throw out most of what they see. David Pollack said recently on the Russillo podcast that he's a first round QB no doubt, regardless of what he looks like in our passing system. Not sure he goes that high because of some of the issues he shows occasionally, but I think the offense severely limits him and is the cause of some of the bad habits he has.

If he does not return to Auburn for his senior year, he will probably get drafted but will end up like Daniel Carlson - unemployed! 

2 minutes ago, Roos said:

If he does not return to Auburn for his senior year, he will probably get drafted but will end up like Daniel Carlson - unemployed! 

They don't make a face palm emoticon powerful enough for this situation. 

44 minutes ago, metafour said:

He does not have "so far" to go LOL.  He would look 10x better in a competent offense immediately.  He looked better as a true freshman at Baylor.

Most of you continue to fail to understand that NFL teams scout tools, not perceived performance which very often isn't a reflection of the QB at all.

Nix doesn't belong in this offense either.

Isn’t nix classed as a dt qb? True dual threat makes this offense hummm. 

6 minutes ago, Roos said:

https://deadspin.com/mike-zimmer-on-whey-he-cut-kicker-daniel-carlson-did-1829117746

Welcome to real life. Yikes.

At least he walks away with over 200k

3 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Isn’t nix classed as a dt qb? True dual threat makes this offense hummm. 

So was JS. I am hoping Nix can be baker Mayfield like at the next level. And Mayfield was classified as pro-style. We don't need NM athleticism. Only enough to navigate the pocket and complete passes. I do fear that Nix will need his own personal QB coach though.

21 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If Gus goes the judo route in the off season, it will be telling. 

iur.jpg

3 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

iur.jpg

Hey, if that's how he chooses to address the pitiful calls by the refs then I support it 100%. 

Can someone tell me how Nix does in the pocket? Can he navigate the rush and keep his eyes down field or does he get flustered like JS? I may be wrong here, but if Stidham had a splash of Sean White in him he'd be incredible. SW was pretty good at getting away from the rush and finding someone down field.

I really liked how quick Cord looked vs Alabama St. He looked like he can move. Of course he may look different vs an SEC D.

Whatever is happening in practice isn't carrying over to gameday (poor/incorrect preparation). Listen to Tiger Talk tonight and its almost a sure thing Gus will say we have had

a great week of practice, players have responded well. have put the LSU loss behind them, anxious to play Saturday

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Can someone tell me how Nix does in the pocket? Can he navigate the rush and keep his eyes down field or does he get flustered like JS? I may be wrong here, but if Stidham had a splash of Sean White in him he'd be incredible. SW was pretty good at getting away from the rush and finding someone down field.

I really liked how quick Cord looked vs Alabama St. He looked like he can move. Of course he may look different vs an SEC D.

I'd say Nix is more mobile than Stidham. Probably not at the Baker Mayfield/Trace McSorley level and probably a little better than Sean White. That's going to be the key with Nix. Can he make plays with his feet to extend plays when our plays break down? Because they will break down. They seem to have always done that under Gus. Stidham isn't great at extending plays with his feet. Can Nix or Sandberg do that? If so, the offense could be really explosive again. In its current situation, the offense needs to be modified significantly to work with Stidham's strengths and protect his weaknesses.

There is no doubt he has the arm talent but that said he seems to get antsy feet and this year his long ball has not been very good. He is good when every thing is good but he has not shown the ability to decide when to throw away the ball and when he panics he makes stupid plays. A great example the throw to Seth where Seth made what I still think was a miraculous catch. that was a very bad decision.

Coaches can help with decision making to a point but eventually it falls on the QB.  In some ways he has regressed since last year. The quick throws to Davis last year were in stride where Davis could do something with the reception this year it seems Davis is stopping a to catch the ball.  The one area he has improved on is not taking sacks like he did at the beginning of last year which considering this years line is not as good as last years that is a big improvement.

I think it is about 60-40 he goes to NFL next year but if he does I hope he goes to a team with a solid QB where they will have time to develop him. If not he will have a short career.

12 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I'd say Nix is more mobile than Stidham. Probably not at the Baker Mayfield/Trace McSorley level and probably a little better than Stidham. That's going to be the key with Nix. Can he make plays with his feet to extend plays when our plays break down? Because they will break down. They seem to have always done that under Gus. Stidham isn't great at extending plays with his feet. Can Nix or Sandberg do that? If so, the offense could be really explosive again. In its current situation, the offense needs to be modified significantly to work with Stidham's strengths and protect his weaknesses.

very right....when arrived as at DT quarterback I expected more but it was pretty obvious from game 1 that he was no running threat....but still thought he could handle the rush better ....and still time for that to improve.  

JMO but people wanting more zip to Chip's offense have to consider the QB situation and what is likely to work…..looking very pro-style to me lately...except a bunch of meaningless shifting around before the snap. .  

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

This x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

So...there's a chance?

1 hour ago, atl-tiger said:

Yeah he totally looks ready.

He could have been had Gus continued to run that style of O.  Of course he ain't ready now....nor for this offense.

To expound on my previous comment, I'm not just coming out of left field here...  I copied and pasted this post I made in another thread.  True Malik TODAY ain't ready, but had Malik been made ready from the time he arrived for the right Offense then....

"I know plenty disagree with me but I still believe that he should stick to only recruiting TRUE dual-threat QB's with real running prowess and stick to the 2010/2013 style attack.  When the QB is a true threat to break one (not just get a first down, but take it to the house) it makes Gus' running game infinitely harder to defend.

The wishbone or Nebraska's I-bone worked for years (decades?).  Yes, defenses are more sophisticated and maybe better prepared now but it's still up to the "Jimmys and the Joes" and aside from bammer's semi-pro team 90% of college football players are not NFL quality and still would have a hard time matching up to a true RPO/Triple Option with a speedy QB.

Otherwise, Gus'/Chip's current offense is just basic handoffs and primitive passing routes.  For these to work they MUST have a dominant OL.....which they apparently don't have right now.  A Nick Marshall-esque QB can mask a lot of OL issue by reading off their mistakes even.  Malik could be this if he was truly given the opportunity but he's not so when he does get in he's trying to play "hero" and make all the plays on his own."

2 hours ago, nurbis said:

I do not think we have near the blocking capability up front to run the offense like we did in 2013. While I think our running backs have potential, we definitely do not have a Tre Mason to lean on. In my opinion, if we want to win right now, then Stidham gives us the best potential by a wide margin. 

See my post above but part of what made Mason so successful was the number of Defensive players who had to keep an eye on Marshall....and then even on a wide out that Marshall could dump it off to.

That offens did not need a dominant OL.  That offense with a speedy and decisive QB to make decisions based off reads can mask a lot of OL issues.  Remember the OL was the same OL that sucked in 2012...

...and yes, Stidham is the best option today.  Because it's the offense they're going to run.  Basic handoffs and basic passes.  UW and LSU have exposed the O for what it is.  Blah...

38 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

See my post above but part of what made Mason so successful was the number of Defensive players who had to keep an eye on Marshall....and then even on a wide out that Marshall could dump it off to.

That offens did not need a dominant OL.  That offense with a speedy and decisive QB to make decisions based off reads can mask a lot of OL issues.  Remember the OL was the same OL that sucked in 2012...

...and yes, Stidham is the best option today.  Because it's the offense they're going to run.  Basic handoffs and basic passes.  UW and LSU have exposed the O for what it is.  Blah...

and so you have to wonder in meetings back in August, someone asks. Ok Coach what do we do when the defense shuts the run down? Is the answer "they wont"?

Auburn never appears to have plan B or plan C. And halftime usually is the demise of Auburn's offense because the opponent has figured out everything we are doing.

14 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

and so you have to wonder in meetings back in August, someone asks. Ok Coach what do we do when the defense shuts the run down? Is the answer "they wont"?

Auburn never appears to have plan B or plan C. And halftime usually is the demise of Auburn's offense because the opponent has figured out everything we are doing.

Yeah, I don't know what they talk about obviously but it must be let's run our favorite plays over and over.  Then let's try something different and if it works let's NOT try it again but rather go back to what we normally do.  Over and over.  No QB, Stidham, Nix, Malik, Tua is going to be particularly special in the offense we've seen so far this year.

If Jarrett if smart, he will jump to the NFL after this season. He won't be the only Auburn Tiger to leave early. Besides, would you stick around for another year of Gus Malzahn's play calling? think about it real hard before answering.

15 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If Jarrett if smart, he will jump to the NFL after this season. He won't be the only Auburn Tiger to leave early. Besides, would you stick around for another year of Gus Malzahn's play calling? think about it real hard before answering.

Lets hope he doesn't leave before Saturday;)

Archived