Will Stidham Return for 2019 Season?

triangletiger

Poll: Will Stidham return for 2019?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. I know it's still early in the season and a lot can happen between now and the end of the season, but, so far, Jarrett Stidham hasn't looked like a QB who's ready to take his game to the next level. He certainly has the physical tools, but may need some more development on the mental side. That being said, does anyone think he will return to Auburn for his senior season?

• Yes
    • No

15 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

well if you plan on auburn not sitting at home or losing bowl games in embarassing fashions every january, its the only style of offense your boy Gus knows 

You mistake me for a Gus fan. Double Bubble is in WAY over his head and that gimmicky HS offense clearly doesn't cut it anymore.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

well if you plan on auburn not sitting at home or losing bowl games in embarassing fashions every january, its the only style of offense your boy Gus knows 

It’s amazing how much better CGM’s offense works with a dual threat QB. It makes a dramatic difference with opening up running lanes and freezing defenders who don’t know where the ball is. I watched three minutes of these highlights last night (below) and was amazed. On several plays, I couldn’t even tell where the ball was initially. Granted, 2013 had a great o-line, NM, and Tre Mason, but this was also against Bama’s defense (as opposed the 2018 Arkansas).  

NM was great. But IMO, just having a legitimate dual threat take the snap changes everything in our offense.

https://youtu.be/eIN4XnjG59w

3 hours ago, Weagle_Weagle said:

It’s amazing how much better CGM’s offense works with a dual threat QB. It makes a dramatic difference with opening up running lanes and freezing defenders who don’t know where the ball is. I watched three minutes of these highlights last night (below) and was amazed. On several plays, I couldn’t even tell where the ball was initially. Granted, 2013 had a great o-line, NM, and Tre Mason, but this was also against Bama’s defense (as opposed the 2018 Arkansas).  

NM was great. But IMO, just having a legitimate dual threat take the snap changes everything in our offense.

https://youtu.be/eIN4XnjG59w

I just think a DT QB leads to many diff. looks unlike what we've seen since 2016. When the pass has broken down since '16, its been no looks. at all. 

23 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I don’t disagree that Cord will start next year.  I’m never a fan of a true freshman starting Qb in the SEC.  If Nix comes in and wins it then he deserves it.

Completely agree. It should be a helluva battle. 

45 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

At a non-P5 program, agreed. 

Gatewood was raw coming in. The coaching staff knew tbat. Because he was raw coming in, that doesn’t mean he cannot eventually play well as a collegiate Auburn schemed QB.

The former is literally all you’re basing your opinion on. We didn’t bring in NM expecting him to connect on 70% of his throws. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Gatewood was raw coming in. The coaching staff knew tbat. Because he was raw coming in, that doesn’t mean he cannot eventually play as QB. That’s literally all you’re basing your opinion on. 

Nope. Literally my opinion of Gatewood as a successful SEC QB is based off his performance in the Spring game. That coupled with Sandberg and Nix, Gatewood has zero shot of ever starting at QB at AU. Mop-up ala Devin Adams or a classic Gus “just because I can” Wildcat out of left field? You betcha. 

7 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Nope. Literally my opinion of Gatewood as a successful SEC QB is based off his performance in the Spring game. That coupled with Sandberg and Nix, Gatewood has zero shot of ever starting at QB at AU. Mop-up ala Devin Adams or a classic Gus “just because I can” Wildcat out of left field? You betcha. 

Just an observation from our seats being behind the bench, but he doesn't appear to be involved in any part of the game plan.  Hes usually standing off by himself, nowhere near the rest of the offense.  I would expect a new QB would want to hear any game time adjustments or new plans (HAHAHA).  Like i said, just an observation.

21 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Nope. Literally my opinion of Gatewood as a successful SEC QB is based off his performance in the Spring game.

That’s just as absurd. He was a TF that just got to campus. Never mind tbe fact that we have a certain legend that couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn in his only spring game. 

37 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Just an observation from our seats being behind the bench, but he doesn't appear to be involved in any part of the game plan.  Hes usually standing off by himself, nowhere near the rest of the offense.  I would expect a new QB would want to hear any game time adjustments or new plans (HAHAHA).  Like i said, just an observation.

This jibes with the tea leaves. 

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That’s just as absurd. He was a TF that just got to campus. Never mind tbe fact that we have a certain legend that couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn in his only spring game. 

Jeff, you’re by far my fav poster here, but in this case, you’re suffering from an extreme case of man crush.

Symptoms include bias, blindness and butthurt. Symptoms can last up to 5 years, but are rarely fatal. Treatment involves transfer, accepting reality or in the most stubborn cases, rubbing prescription ointment on the affected backside areas.

Get well soon my friend. 

Is Malik Willis ever going to get his chance? He's the closest thing on the team right now to lead the style of RPO offense that Gus has had the most success with--- the days of Nick and Cam. I get there was a fumble during practice, yada yada yada.... but it feels like its going from Stidham to Cord/Nix, with Malik being skipped over, when he's truly the only guy on the roster to resemble Cam/Nick.

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This jibes with the tea leaves. 

Yup, he should be taking mental reps and wearing a headset if they really want to get him ready. It's a damn shame.

Next year will be a nightmare on this forum with the Cord, Nix, Gatewood, Malik quarterback battle that Gus is 100% not going to resolve until week 1 where he still won't be sure on what he wants to do. If these kids want my sage advice: don't throw interceptions, bust your butt on zone read plays, don't fumble, and throw the ball away instead of taking a 10 yard sack. Almost guarantees you a chance at starting.

Jeff, you’re by far my fav poster here, but in this case, you’re suffering from an extreme case of man crush.

I admit I am severely biased. And I’m obsessed with the guys body being a damn weapon. Did you see him run over that all American safety last year? The guy got Conte’d! 

Symptoms include bias, blindness and butthurt

I may be the first two but I’m not going to be butthurt until he’s gone. Even then, I’m blaming it on big, bad Gus for not developing him. There’s my game plan, attack it.

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Next year will be a nightmare on this forum with the Cord, Nix, Gatewood, Malik quarterback battle that Gus is 100% not going to resolve until week 1 where he still won't be sure on what he wants to do

Exactly. I've said the same thing, and why I've been supporting Stidham 100%. If people are discouraged with the QB this year, then wait until next year. Oh. My. Goodness.... this place is going into panic mode when we don't have a QB ready to go.  Malik should be playing in every game right now IMO.

10 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Exactly. I've said the same thing, and why I've been supporting Stidham 100%. If people are discouraged with the QB this year, then wait until next year. Oh. My. Goodness.... this place is going into panic mode when we don't have a QB ready to go.  Malik should be playing in every game right now IMO.

Sub Cord for Malik and I'm a little bit with you, but mostly not, because we've only had 1 game where we could afford to use backup QBs. The entire offense needs reps, Stidham included.

But yeah, if we ever get our heads above water, QB2 needs to face live bullets. But that's more likely to be Sandberg than Willis. 

PS- Look at the chances Willis did get so far. He's been awful. 

23 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Is Malik Willis ever going to get his chance? He's the closest thing on the team right now to lead the style of RPO offense that Gus has had the most success with--- the days of Nick and Cam. I get there was a fumble during practice, yada yada yada.... but it feels like its going from Stidham to Cord/Nix, with Malik being skipped over, when he's truly the only guy on the roster to resemble Cam/Nick.

I think Malik's problem is panic.  He sees his chances slipping away so the two opportunities he's had, the Batman play in game 1 and the handful of plays in game 2 he made very bad (selfish) decisions to be a hero and run the ball when he should have distributed it costing a 2 pt conversion fail and safety.

Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't announced his transfer yet.

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

You want the truth? I'll tell you what we all know but don't say on this forum as to why each player is regarded the way they are.

Malik Willis- a black mobile quarterback, which are categorically stereotyped as being inaccurate. Not arguing that he isn't inaccurate but that seems to always be the assumption. He made a bad decision that caused a safety and now everyone is on the hate train. When, realistically, none of us have seen enough of him to make a realistic prediction. His speed interest people but our recent history with mobile quarterbacks has actually been a lot more struggling than success. The short of it: he's being left out of the talks because everyone is hoping there is something better behind door # 3. So really they're pulling for a better option to emerge.

Joey Gatewood - some similar issues as stated above. The assumption with GWood is that, since he's behind Malik who is viewed unfavorably, he must be worse than Malik Willis and therefore not even worth considering. His size is enticing but we as a fanbase don't believe that Gus and co. will develop his raw abilities well enough to be successful.

Cord Sandberg - we're assuming that, since we took him in that the staff must feel he was 'needed' and he's being treated like JuCo prospects typically are. "They must have been brought in because the staff isn't confident in what we have." There is also some optimism because there is some success with former baseball players coming back to be quarterbacks. Again we haven't seen enough to really judge him but there is something appealing to an older player leading the team with presumably some maturity. There is also a faction that craves accuracy from a quarterback more than any other quality, not judging said faction but some are very exhausted from watching errant throws that could have been big plays otherwise.

Bo Nix - I don't think any quarterback gets more positivity then a highly touted quarterback coming in to be the next great thing. To be earnest I'm in this camp of hoping Bo Nix is the next SEC freshman to carry a team to a NC game. We all know he has a lot to learn but if he wins the starting job it's presumably because 1) he is a generational talent 2) our current options are trash 3) he is promising and has all the physical abilities and will need to mature through the mental aspects of the position.

TL;DR none of us have seen enough from any of these options and we all have different hopes

The squads (none of which I'm judging)

The Mobile RPO Camp - wants another Nick or Cam and doesn't think we can succeed otherwise

The Accuracy and Consistency Camp - couldn't care less whether the qb can run or not just wants a Tom Brady like "dimer" to lead a legitimate passing threat

The Youth Movement Camp - wanting a younger guy to come in and fill the position for a number of years understanding that next year has the potential to feel like a rebuild.

43 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Next year will be a nightmare on this forum with the Cord, Nix, Gatewood, Malik quarterback battle that Gus is 100% not going to resolve until week 1 where he still won't be sure on what he wants to do.

Assuming they are all still on the roster for the first game next year (I would be shocked if Malik and Gatewood are still here - one maybe, but not both), then I would expect to see at least 3 and maybe 4 QB's play against Oregon in the first game.  Very similar to the 2016 Clemson debacle.  And as a bonus, maybe a new OC and/or O-line coach to spice things up a bit.  And yeah, it will be a $#!+ show both in the game and on the forums.

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

PS- Look at the chances Willis did get so far. He's been awful

I just don't think he can be counted out yet. Give him a chance to get some rythm and reps before passing on him.

But as of now the 2019 QB situation feels just like the current 2018 RB situation-- unknown, raw, inexperienced, and the QB position is much more vital than a RB. I know our starting offense needs all the reps it can get, but before we know it we'll be on the back half of the season, with Stidham likley going pro, so I hope they begin to work a backup in when possible. Last year many people called it when Kerryon got injured---that we didn't develop our younger running backs, and it came back to bite us in the SECCG and Bowl game, and now here at the beginning of the season.

4 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I just don't think he can be counted out yet. Give him a chance to get some rythm and reps before passing on him.

I was really big on him, and I certainly hope he can pull it together.

But as of now the 2019 QB situation feels just like the current 2018 RB situation-- unknown, raw, inexperienced, and the QB position is much more vital than a RB. I know our starting offense needs all the reps it can get, but before we know it we'll be on the back half of the season, with Stidham likley going pro, so I hope they begin to work a backup in when possible. Last year many people called it when Kerryon got injured---that we didn't develop our younger running backs, and it came back to bite us in the SECCG and Bowl game.

Let's hope we get some chances to rep somebody. Because I am terrified of going into next season with an inexperienced QB. 

Archived