Will Stidham Return for 2019 Season?

triangletiger

Poll: Will Stidham return for 2019?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. I know it's still early in the season and a lot can happen between now and the end of the season, but, so far, Jarrett Stidham hasn't looked like a QB who's ready to take his game to the next level. He certainly has the physical tools, but may need some more development on the mental side. That being said, does anyone think he will return to Auburn for his senior season?

• Yes
    • No

25 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

lolololololololololololol 

I'll have what you're having....

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many posters sleeping on Joey Cam-Mahomes Gatewood. ?

I’d usually hate to rub it in, but I think y’all will be happy with the taste of the crow I’ll be serving. 

43 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’d usually hate to rub it in, but I think y’all will be happy with the taste of the crow I’ll be serving. 

One can dream! Again we just haven’t seen enough lol

On 9/25/2018 at 5:00 PM, Zeek said:

One can dream! Again we just haven’t seen enough lol

True. We haven’t seen enough of Cord, Willis or Nix either. Especially Cord or Nix. Lot of speculation over minuscule sample sizes.

Fields or Kelly Bryant is transferring in though, and we are going back to our bread and butter. Gatewood or Nix will hot seat their successes. Now that the problem is solved, everyone can sit by the fire and sing Kumbaya.

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

True. We haven’t seen enough of Cord, Willis or Nix either. Especially Cord or Nix. Lot of speculation over minuscule sample sizes.

Fields or Kelly Bryant is transferring in through,  and we are going back to our bread and butter. Gatewood and Nix will hot seat their successes. Now that the problem is solved, everyone can sit by the fire and sing Kumbaya.

Lol I thought Hurts was coming to save the day!

23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Lol I thought Hurts was coming to save the day!

Lol. Saban is going to say “anywhere but!”

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Lol. Saban is going to say “anywhere but!”

His opinion means jack for a grad transfer, right?

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Isn't he still injured too?

21 minutes ago, Zeek said:

His opinion means jack for a grad transfer, right?

No. From what I remember he tried to block a Grad Transfer from going to Georgia. He claimed he was just upholding the SEC’s superior rule. He said he didn’t want free agency in the SEC. I have no clue if the rule has been changed or not though. 

So say Stidham leaves. How hard would we go after Kelly Bryant now that he’s a free agent? That would give Bo a year to adjust to the college level and give gatewood a chance at improving before being given a chance. Maybe Willis is the answer but it just seems like he doesn’t make great reads when running the option and tries to do too much himself. Also have no clue about his passing skills with his not letting him do that in mop up duty. 

25 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

So say Stidham leaves. How hard would we go after Kelly Bryant now that he’s a free agent? That would give Bo a year to adjust to the college level and give gatewood a chance at improving before being given a chance. Maybe Willis is the answer but it just seems like he doesn’t make great reads when running the option and tries to do too much himself. Also have no clue about his passing skills with his not letting him do that in mop up duty. 

Don't forget about Sandberg, who has shown (me, at least) more moxie in limited duty than Willis has. And Sandberg is very capable physically. 

I don't think that talent at the QB position is our problem, so I'm not sure that bringing in another transfer will help us all that much. Not that I'd turn him down if he wants to come. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Don't forget about Sandberg, who has shown (me, at least) more moxie in limited duty than Willis has. And Sandberg is very capable physically. 

I don't think that talent at the QB position is our problem, so I'm not sure that bringing in another transfer will help us all that much. Not that I'd turn him down if he wants to come. 

The know-it-all in me says Auburn is LOADED with QB talent.  I don't think talent is the issue at all.... it's how the talent is being mentored/coached/used that's the issue.

I'll bet at least 3 (maybe 4) AU QB's could be QB1 on a lot of D1 teams right now. + Woody Barrett....

18 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Again people: It’s the O-line, it’s the O-line, it’s the O-line. 

I can't tell if you are kidding but it is both. JS looks plain terrible on several throws. He is not hitting passes even when guys are open and he has time. I think he is hurt (or something else is wrong). He has to help out the OL by hitting some of these passes that he should hit early in the games. 

22 hours ago, Zeek said:

You want the truth? I'll tell you what we all know but don't say on this forum as to why each player is regarded the way they are.

Malik Willis- a black mobile quarterback, which are categorically stereotyped as being inaccurate. Not arguing that he isn't inaccurate but that seems to always be the assumption. He made a bad decision that caused a safety and now everyone is on the hate train. When, realistically, none of us have seen enough of him to make a realistic prediction. His speed interest people but our recent history with mobile quarterbacks has actually been a lot more struggling than success. The short of it: he's being left out of the talks because everyone is hoping there is something better behind door # 3. So really they're pulling for a better option to emerge.

Joey Gatewood - some similar issues as stated above. The assumption with GWood is that, since he's behind Malik who is viewed unfavorably, he must be worse than Malik Willis and therefore not even worth considering. His size is enticing but we as a fanbase don't believe that Gus and co. will develop his raw abilities well enough to be successful.

Cord Sandberg - we're assuming that, since we took him in that the staff must feel he was 'needed' and he's being treated like JuCo prospects typically are. "They must have been brought in because the staff isn't confident in what we have." There is also some optimism because there is some success with former baseball players coming back to be quarterbacks. Again we haven't seen enough to really judge him but there is something appealing to an older player leading the team with presumably some maturity. There is also a faction that craves accuracy from a quarterback more than any other quality, not judging said faction but some are very exhausted from watching errant throws that could have been big plays otherwise.

Bo Nix - I don't think any quarterback gets more positivity then a highly touted quarterback coming in to be the next great thing. To be earnest I'm in this camp of hoping Bo Nix is the next SEC freshman to carry a team to a NC game. We all know he has a lot to learn but if he wins the starting job it's presumably because 1) he is a generational talent 2) our current options are trash 3) he is promising and has all the physical abilities and will need to mature through the mental aspects of the position.

TL;DR none of us have seen enough from any of these options and we all have different hopes

The squads (none of which I'm judging)

The Mobile RPO Camp - wants another Nick or Cam and doesn't think we can succeed otherwise

The Accuracy and Consistency Camp - couldn't care less whether the qb can run or not just wants a Tom Brady like "dimer" to lead a legitimate passing threat

The Youth Movement Camp - wanting a younger guy to come in and fill the position for a number of years understanding that next year has the potential to feel like a rebuild.

I think this is the most accurate pose I’ve ever seen on the forum. We don’t really know much about any of these options aside from the fact that, at the beginning of the season, our second best option was Willis. People are making a lot out of the underwhelming spring game performances, which we know how much those mean (see Cam Newton’s terrible performance in the spring of 2010). People are making a lot out of the few garbage reps our quarterbacks have gotten this year. 

The truth is that we won’t “really” know who is good and who isn’t until we announce a starter after stidham leaves and let them start unless they are somehow forced into real game action sooner.

So is Gus on the horn with Kelly Bryant yet? If not, he damn well should be. Stidhams gone after this year and we need a QB to help us transition to Bo Nix. Bryant would allow us to go back to more zone read stuff, but hes a pretty darn good passer too. Thoughts?

4 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

I completely missed your post before posting. Totally agree. Rumors of Jalen Hurts transfer as well, but I like Bryant better. Much better passer imo. 

If I'm an NFL scout the only quarterback entering the draft this year that would interest me is Will Grier but I'd have to work him out first. Then maybe Drew Lock if he goes to a well built team and shows off poise and accuracy. Not a single quarterback coming out this year that I would consider a top 5 or even top 10 pick. Part of this comes from the better qb's being underclassmen right now.

Stidham undoubtedly has the potential but as is I'd be amazed if he was anymore than a late 2nd rounder early 3rd rounder for a team looking to groom someone (Aaron Rodgers, JGar, Alex Smith style). There are probably 6 teams where I think he can succeed all of which would require him learning behind a solid quarterback for a year or two or three. Patriots with Tom Brady, Chargers with Philip Rivers, Packers with AR but I don't think he's retiring anytime soon, Atlanta with Matt Ryan who I think still has a while too, Steelers with Roethlisberger, and the Saints with Drew Brees.

15 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If I'm an NFL scout the only quarterback entering the draft this year that would interest me is Will Grier but I'd have to work him out first. Then maybe Drew Lock if he goes to a well built team and shows off poise and accuracy. Not a single quarterback coming out this year that I would consider a top 5 or even top 10 pick. Part of this comes from the better qb's being underclassmen right now.

So no love for Shae Patterson?

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

So is Gus on the horn with Kelly Bryant yet? If not, he damn well should be. Stidhams gone after this year and we need a QB to help us transition to Bo Nix. Bryant would allow us to go back to more zone read stuff, but hes a pretty darn good passer too. Thoughts?

The zone read offense of Cam & Nick is not coming back. The genie is out of the bottle on stopping that offense.

16 minutes ago, selias said:

The zone read offense of Cam & Nick is not coming back. The genie is out of the bottle on stopping that offense.

I don't know that this is true.  If it were then UAt nor Clemson would have made it to the playoffs last year.  Both teams ran the RO with great RO QBs.

3 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I don't know that this is true.  If it were then UAt nor Clemson would have made it to the playoffs last year.  Both teams ran the RO with great RO QBs.

Agreed but they ran it with different looks. I think the RPO could work for us but everything would have to look different and the run blocking has to be tremendously better or they’ll just blow up both options.

Archived