Will Stidham Return for 2019 Season?

triangletiger

Poll: Will Stidham return for 2019?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. I know it's still early in the season and a lot can happen between now and the end of the season, but, so far, Jarrett Stidham hasn't looked like a QB who's ready to take his game to the next level. He certainly has the physical tools, but may need some more development on the mental side. That being said, does anyone think he will return to Auburn for his senior season?

• Yes
    • No

On 9/21/2018 at 4:17 AM, WarEagle1983 said:

Even NFL scouts are saying exactly this. He doesn't fit our system. This is why i said in the post LSU game thread that i think JS would be a better pro than college player. We simply do not utilize his strengths to full potential. Granted he still needs to work on his reads when protection breaks down and his happy feet but he was killing it in Baylor's offense. You can clearly see he had a different confidence level at Baylor. Our passing plays take way too long to develop. JS is at his best when he can make quick decisions with the football. 4 and 5 WR sets with crossing and intermediate route options. 

If only  we were paying a coach 49 million dollars that was able to realize this and start running 4 and 5 wr sets to take advantage of our QBs skill set.......... I have only seen Gus ran that offense one time extensively at AU. The first half of the 2014 Arky game with Jeremy Johnson when nick had to sit out the first half. If it can make jeremy johnson look good imagine how great Stidham would look running that. 

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/21/2018 at 6:11 AM, AUsince72 said:

You're far more expert than me but yes with Stidham, Nix, JJ running it sure, it's figured out.  I contend a dynamic, true DT can still make it work.  Guess we'll never know...

I only push this because it's clearly what Gus is still running.... but without the appropriate QB.  Stidham, Nix, Cord should be in an offense that's much more sophisticated as far as passing game.  I thought Chip could bring this, but evidence suggests it ain't happening.

That is because it is very very clear Chip is not running his real offense. Is it the 2013 offense? No. But he is still running a gus system with a few new wrinkles mixed in. Not enough to make a difference though. That is the problem with Gus he can never just fully let a OC go and do his own thing. Anything he says about giving up full control of the offense is just BS and I never believe him when he says he has given up playcalling. Chip may be calling the plays but it is from a playsheet that gus approves.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is because it is very very clear Chip is not running his real offense. Is it the 2013 offense? No. But he is still running a gus system with a few new wrinkles mixed in. Not enough to make a difference though. That is the problem with Gus he can never just fully let a OC go and do his own thing. Anything he says about giving up full control of the offense is just BS and I never believe him when he says he has given up playcalling. Chip may be calling the plays but it is from a playsheet that gus approves.

Yes, that had been very evident.  I was hoping last week would be a coming out party for Auburn and CCL but you're absolutely right that even though Gus ain't roaming the sidelines with the play sheet that's just a ruse.  It's clearly still just Gus' (watered down) offense.

20 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

We must be watching a different QB. The Stidham I've seen isn't scared to lower his shoulder and try to get an extra yard or two. Now if he gets the extra yardage or not is a different story... But he certainly tries... 

I mean in the LSU game, we were 3rd and long, and he scampered for almost all those yards, lowered his shoulder, and came up a yard or so short, but he didn't run out of bounds "avoiding contact at all costs." 

Oh, and include me in #TeamMeta.

Stidham is severely hampered by our offense, and for all of you who complain about Stidham are going to complain even more about Nix.

Nix is a shorter Stidham with less arm strength. Neither have any business in our offense. Had Patrick not attended Auburn, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hades Bo comes to Auburn. 

I don't think there is any chance Stidham returns to Auburn, and I also don't think he gets drafted anywhere but the 1st round. He has the things NFL scouts drool over, and how he preforms in our Mikey Mouse high school offense means very little to them. 

THIS x10000000000000000000000000000000000 well said. I agree with every point. It is not the player it is gus and his "system.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, Win4AU said:

Based purely on what I saw against ASU It’ll be 

1) Cord

2) Willis, Nix, or Gatewood 

I need to see Gatewood in a real game scenario even if it’s mop up against Tennessee or Liberty

I know Auburn’s two biggest rivals prove me wrong but a true freshman Qb in the SEC makes me nervous.  Especially when he’s going to be asked to run against SEC defenses

What did Cord do to make you think he's an SEC QB? Maybe he is but he hasn't had a chance to show it yet. My money would be on a true freshman Nix winning out over Soph Cord, on ability. Nix has been consistently top-notch in high school and at the camps.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Yes, that had been very evident.  I was hoping last week would be a coming out party for Auburn and CCL but you're absolutely right that even though Gus ain't roaming the sidelines with the play sheet that's just a ruse.  It's clearly still just Gus' (watered down) offense.

Which is why I am sure there are rumblings of Chip wanting to leave. Gus will never be able to attract a big time OC if they are just calling the plays but from malzahns offense. No proven big time hot shot coordinator will want to do that.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Which is why I am sure there are rumblings of Chip wanting to leave

Got a link, or even a name to connect to those rumblings?

Just now, Mikey said:

Got a link, or even a name to connect to those rumblings?

Sure. scour this board for people here that would know saying them. MIKEY!!!!!!!! where ya been fam?!?! we have not conversed in a while. Miss ya muhhhhhhhhhhhh dude.

Sure. scour this board for people here that would know saying them. MIKEY!!!!!!!! where ya been fam?!?! we have not conversed in a while. Miss ya muhhhhhhhhhhhh dude.

People on this board that would know? There are very, very few of those. The couple of major donors (couple means two that I'm aware of) that are around here have said nothing of the sort.

Just now, Mikey said:

People on this board that would know? There are very, very few of those. The couple of major donors (couple means two that I'm aware of) that are around here have said nothing of the sort.

Sounds good mr mike! Just saying what I have read from time to time for people that I personally trust on here. Just good to have you back. WAR DAMN!!! Here is to hoping we come out tonight running the air raid! lol

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Sounds good mr mike! Just saying what I have read from time to time for people that I personally trust on here. Just good to have you back. WAR DAMN!!! Here is to hoping we come out tonight running the air raid! lol

I haven't been anywhere, I thought it was you who disappeared. You need to post more in the recruiting forum, more weirdness is needed over there. :)

Just now, Mikey said:

I haven't been anywhere, I thought it was you who disappeared. You need to post more in the recruiting forum, more weirdness is needed over there. :)

touche. Well I can def bring that as you know. WOOOO!!!!!!

41 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Which is why I am sure there are rumblings of Chip wanting to leave. Gus will never be able to attract a big time OC if they are just calling the plays but from malzahns offense. No proven big time hot shot coordinator will want to do that.

And this is why the sooner we're able to get rid of him, the better. Just a side note, the last four times the home team lost the Tiger Bowl, that team was looking for a new coach. That December.

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

And this is why the sooner we're able to get rid of him, the better. Just a side note, the last four times the home team lost the Tiger Bowl, that team was looking for a new coach. That December.

Wow. that is a juicy stat!

24 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Why is this even a thought at Week 4 in 2018? After LSU last year, I wanted Gus gone too. But how could you realistically want him gone, AT THIS MOMENT, after the run to the SEC title game, beating our top ranked rivals back to back, our best recruiting class on the way, and even the huge win against UW to start the season? 

I just don't believe people could think axing Gus, as things stand right now, is actually a good idea.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Why is this even a thought at Week 4 in 2018? After LSU last year, I wanted Gus gone too. But how could you realistically want him gone, AT THIS MOMENT, after the run to the SEC title game, beating our top ranked rivals back to back, our best recruiting class on the way, and even the huge win against UW to start the season? 

I just don't believe people could think axing Gus, as things stand right now, is actually a good idea.

"Best recruiting class?" Our OL recruiting has been HORRIBLE, every QB we've had since Marshall has regressed or "became a project."

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

What did Cord do to make you think he's an SEC QB? Maybe he is but he hasn't had a chance to show it yet. My money would be on a true freshman Nix winning out over Soph Cord, on ability. Nix has been consistently top-notch in high school and at the camps.

I thought he looked good running the ball and the couple throws he made looked better than Willis’s.  If Gus is going Tom run the zone read then he needs a Qb that at least has the threat of breaking out a run.  Cord will have a whole year in the Chip/Gus offense.  Nix is in high school so I don’t have anything to gage how good he is.

26 minutes ago, AUwent said:

"Best recruiting class?" Our OL recruiting has been HORRIBLE, every QB we've had since Marshall has regressed or "became a project."

Come February this will likely be our highest rated class. And Bo Nix is just a different guy. He has "it". I'd suggest checking out his highlights.

16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Come February this will likely be our highest rated class. And Bo Nix is just a different guy. He has "it". I'd suggest checking out his highlights.

I'll believe it when I see it.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

How do you know this? What makes you so sure that CCL isn't just a coach who was hired because he has the same offensive philosophy? 

27 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

How do you know this? What makes you so sure that CCL isn't just a coach who was hired because he has the same offensive philosophy? 

look back at any tape from all the previous stops Chip has been OC at. He is a gunslinger. Has some brett favre in his playcalling. This offense he is "running" is not his.

look back at any tape from all the previous stops Chip has been OC at. He is a gunslinger. Has some brett favre in his playcalling. This offense he is "running" is not his.

Auburn isn't totally built for that right now but seems to be evolving. The offense feels like it's caught between those 2 styles more than anything else. That probably has more to do with it than Gus micromanaging Chip.

7 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Auburn isn't totally built for that right now but seems to be evolving. The offense feels like it's caught between those 2 styles more than anything else. That probably has more to do with it than Gus micromanaging Chip.

This year more than ever is the year we should be throwing more than we run. Last year as well but easily this year. There seems to be no road graders on our OL like we usually have. We actually seem to be better at pass protecting this year which is a rarity of a gus team. I see no difference makers at the RB position this year. Our best weapons and players on offense is our QB and WR's we should be going 4 and 5 wide and taking advantage of the riches we have in our WR talent.

This year more than ever is the year we should be throwing more than we pass. Last year as well but easily this year. There seems to be no road graders on our OL like we usually have. We actually seem to be better at pass protecting this year which is a rarity of a gus team. I see no difference makers at the RB position this year. Our best weapons and players on offense is our QB and WR's we should be going 4 and 5 wide and taking advantage of the riches we have in our WR talent.

There hasn't been anything that has really gelled between the QB and the receivers yet. Auburn needs at least one WR to aggressively step up and become Mr Dependable. Like I said....it seems to be evolving from the run first to a Chip Lindsey pass first but pieces are missing.

Archived