Coaching Staff Approval Ratings

Zeek

https://auburn.247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Auburn-Approval-Ratings-Gus-Malzahn-assistant-coaches-Week-3-122046739/

Head Coach Gus Malzahn 42%

Defensive Coordinator Kevin Steele 81.38%

Defensive Line Rodney Garner 82.32%

Linebackers Travis Williams 90.59%

Safeties Greg Brown 42.37%

Cornerbacks Marcus Woodson 38.88%

Offensive Coordinator Chip Lindsey 33.3%

Offensive Line J.B. Grimes 43.69%

Wide Receivers Kodi Burns 71.38%

Running Backs Tim Horton 67.3%

TE/Special Teams Larry Porter 73.53%

Gus' rating doesn't matter because he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Rodney Garner has a good group but they need help pressuring the qb when there are 7 down lineman they're trying to get through. Excellent recruiter.

Travis Williams has helped transform a position of weakness into one of strength. Solid recruiter. How he replaces these three seniors will speak volumes about his future as a coach.

Personally I think that Marcus Woodson's rating is entirely too low and reactionary to our struggles against LSU; he has been a solid recruiter for us and he does a tremendous job with fundamentals. He doesn't have a loaded group of players to work with right now.

I don't know much about Greg Brown so no comment for him other than I don't think he's been too productive in recruiting either, but I could be entirely off base.

Chip Lindsey is likely another in the long line of OC's that we'll never be able to adequately judge due to the weird "hands off hands on" approach Gus has with the offensive play calling and style. He has shown flashes of potential when it comes to having a diverse passing attack.

J.B. Grimes is a decent OL coach but he's just not there as a recruiter and I have to agree with some others that he was an extremely underwhelming hire at the time.

Kodi has, and continues, to be a tremendous recruiter. I have no complaints with the abilities or playing style of our receivers other than the fact they just don't seem to be targeted much and don't have a real route tree. Not sure that falls on Kodi but I'm not buying the "they aren't getting open" claims.

Tim Horton might be a great coach but I just don't know. Boobee has been more patient waiting for holes and that changed his performance positively against LSU. I just think we could have a better recruiter at the position like @bigbird mentioned we have "whiffed" on a lot of talent at the position. Wouldn't call any of our current backs "complete backs"

Larry Porter is another one I don't know much about but I do think our special teams have looked better other than our field goal unit the last two years missing some kicks we have no business missing.

Wonder what is up with Larry Porter's 73% approval rating? We seem ok in special teams this year and his position group doesn't get used. Guess he gets a lot of recruiting credit?

20 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Wonder what is up with Larry Porter's 73% approval rating? We seem ok in special teams this year and his position group doesn't get used. Guess he gets a lot of recruiting credit?

I would venture to say any running back coach at Auburn will be viewed favorably since it's been such a strength in recent years. Fair question though.

16 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I would venture to say any running back coach at Auburn will be viewed favorably since it's been such a strength in recent years. Fair question though.

He is Special teams/TE coach. But your point is validated by Hortons 67% rating. 

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Safeties Greg Brown 42.37%

Cornerbacks Marcus Woodson 38.88%

Just because some are able to vote, doesn't necessarily mean they should...

tenor.gif?itemid=4948943

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just because some are able to vote, doesn't necessarily mean they should...

tenor.gif?itemid=4948943

I think the same thing about politics... lol

The thing about the running backs is Auburn currently plays 2 true freshmen Asa and Shiver, 1 redshirt freshman Boobie who was injured most of that redshirt, and 1 junior Kam who hasn’t really played much other than mop up duty.  The last true Freshman Auburn had that truly showed out was Dyer and he really didn’t get going till mid part of the season.  I can’t speak about recruiting but Horton has done at minimum a B grade in my opinion.

2 questions 1) why didn’t Kam get anymore touches after that 1st qtr?  2). Miller 5th string now?  Would have been nice to get some size running the ball against LSU.

Did I miss something?? When did AU fall out the playoff race??When did AU fall out the top 25?? When did Gus take his foot off the gas again?? I must've been on Mars after the game Saturday because I missed all of these failures that lead to articles like these.

Players are transferring left and right. Since August of 2018, 7 players have left the program. The latest are Nate Craig Myers and his step brother Jayvaughn Myers. Gus is really earning his new 49 million.

9 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I'm just guessing but I wouldn't be surprised to see KM or MM or both sing happy trails in the not too distant future.:violin:

I am thinking MW

Archived