Not liking this new 4 game rule

steeleagle

I thought the intent of the 4 game rule the NCAA put into place this year was to help teams determine if it would help to redshirt players who either get hurt or get to play a little but dont look to contribute to the team that much during the season. 

But it looks like players are using it, in order to save their current scholarship year, bc they aren't happy with their playing status. Now they can just leave before the 4th game they play in order to save eligibility, and transfer to another school. 

Not sure I'm liking what it does to a team, especially if they are play and contributing, but not to their satisfaction. Luckily we have depth at WR, but if we didn't we would be in a world of hurt at WR....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I thought the intent of the 4 game rule the NCAA put into place this year was to help teams determine if it would help to redshirt players who either get hurt or get to play a little but dont look to contribute to the team that much during the season. 

But it looks like players are using it, in order to save their current scholarship year, bc they aren't happy with their playing status. Now they can just leave before the 4th game they play in order to save eligibility, and transfer to another school. 

Not sure I'm liking what it does to a team, especially if they are play and contributing, but not to their satisfaction. Luckily we have depth at WR, but if we didn't we would be in a world of hurt at WR....

So you hate it because the players now have some sort of power and control? Haha okay 

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The new rule is there to help both the student-athlete and the coaching staff.  It can't and shouldn't be all one-sided, the player should benefit more than the program.  JMHO

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

So you hate because the players now have some sort of power and control? Haha okay 

I knew someone would blow it back at me. lol.

No, I am glad for players who are unhappy to have another way to save their eligibility. I just have a problem with it disrupting a team who is in the middle of their season and use players like NCM to contribute. Granted it wasn't to his liking and he is leaving, but it still creates a problem for coaches. Just saying...

I continue to be an advocate for athletes being held to the same standard as regular students. If a regular student is unhappy at a school, he or she goes elsewhere. NCM and JH are doing the same. I wish them all the luck in the world. Also, I bet a lot of teammates  and fans of Casey Dunn and Jack Driscoll were upset when they left their respective schools, but we welcomed them with open arms. It’s a two way street now. 

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

No, I am glad for players who are unhappy to have another way to save their eligibility. I just have a problem with it disrupting a team who is in the middle of their season and use players like NCM to contribute. Granted it wasn't to his liking and he is leaving, but it still creates a problem for coaches. Just saying...

Hardly. It seems like he wasn't getting many passing attempts his way since ”he can't separate.” So what exactly disruption is it causing?  It’s like if Jalen Hurts wanted to transfer. Tua is already starting. Jalen has very limited time left in his career. Why should he stay and not be utilized to what he considers is his potential just to play in garbage time?

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I don't see how it's affecting the team. How many catches does he have? Will it really be a loss? Same thing with Jalen Harris. Just put a couple extra backup OL in to block and call it a day. We can run 7 OL, HB, RB, WR sets.

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Being devil’s advocate, if he is unhappy would you rather him stay in the locker room and potentially have a negative vibe for other players? 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Being devil’s advocate, if he is unhappy would you rather him stay in the locker room and potentially have a negative vibe for other players? 

I think it depends on his personality. Some players pout and carry it around the team or are disruptive, Some players deal with it, as they are team players, play their part on the team and when the season is over, they leave, or before the season.

I know NCM was one of their best blockers at WR, so if they can replace that, then no problem.

But if NCM is that unhappy and wants a change, then I wish him well. 

These guys are basically giving AU a four game chance and saying hey, utilizing me better or I’ll find someone who will. Harris and NCM were both great student athletes. It’s AUs fault for not using them. No one can blame a TE or a WR from leaving AU. The coaching staff needs to fix this problem. 

23 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I continue to be an advocate for athletes being held to the same standard as regular students. If a regular student is unhappy at a school, he or she goes elsewhere. NCM and JH are doing the same. I wish them all the luck in the world. Also, I bet a lot of teammates  and fans of Casey Dunn and Jack Driscoll were upset when they left their respective schools, but we welcomed them with open arms. It’s a two way street now. 

Yes and to take it a step further than school (excluding military enlistment) we are all free to leave a job at any time we choose if we aren't happy or feel a better opportunity awaits us. When you give people options you have to expect they might use them. 

Oh, I'm loving it. It's exposing a coach who locks in on the same plays year in and year out while pretending to be wide-open. Players are calling BS. Will anything change?

Lol! Yeah, right.

2 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

What other SEC teams have lost players since the season started?

Florida right off the top of my head in thinking.

It changes everything. I'm curious about how many collective moves are made when the trend takes hold, and more so, which players move up to a bigger program as an upgrade, lateral, or down to a lesser school for more production. That will determine bad news/good news on a team by team basis. Also- does anybody on the board know any background on the new rule and which diabolical coaches sponsored it?

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

That might be to keep from stringing them along with promises till the season starts.

48 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

It changes everything. I'm curious about how many collective moves are made when the trend takes hold, and more so, which players move up to a bigger program as an upgrade, lateral, or down to a lesser school for more production. That will determine bad news/good news on a team by team basis. Also- does anybody on the board know any background on the new rule and which diabolical coaches sponsored it?

I may be wrong on the interpretation of the 4 game redshirt rule, but if I’m not mistaken, players could play 2 or 3 games in the past before losing a redshirt. There’s no reason to believe that juniors and seniors like JH and NCM who feel they being underutilized wouldn’t have left after game 2. So I’m not sure how much the new rule would’ve changed the outcome for those 2. 

You over on 247 and the article today talks about Kodi saying how much moortant NCM was and how my ch his blue class bag played a part of the offense. Anyone who thinks the coaches especially Kodi are ok with thes three transfers are dreaming. This is apparent that something is going wrong fast. It’s not about loosing to LSU. I won’t be surprised to see something like 2012 happen.

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I may be wrong on the interpretation of the 4 game redshirt rule, but if I’m not mistaken, players could play 2 or 3 games in the past before losing a redshirt. There’s no reason to believe that juniors and seniors like JH and NCM who feel they being underutilized wouldn’t have left after game 2. So I’m not sure how much the new rule would’ve changed the outcome for those 2. 

No. They could play less than 3.5 games or so and apply for a medical redshirt only if injured.  Now they can play in 4 and only have to not play in a fifth to redshirt.  There is no applying process nor do that have to suffer an injury. Much more liberal now.  Game changer. 

2 hours ago, AUTigerTime said:

I don't see how it's affecting the team. How many catches does he have? Will it really be a loss? Same thing with Jalen Harris. Just put a couple extra backup OL in to block and call it a day. We can run 7 OL, HB, RB, WR sets.

He is/was the best blocking WR on the team.  That will hurt.  You can't teach an OL to block in space in a week.  

Does perception change if Gus went to NCM and said we are going to play Seth more?

and where’s the love/hate for McClain I’m sure he would have made a huge difference this weekend against LSU he’s underutilized from the fans perspective.  

Remember early fall reports were JayVaughn was running 1st string from the reporters.  Guess he was underutilized and not given a chance but was talented.  

I repeat there is no coach in the country that will not get talented playmakers the ball or deserving players on the field to contribute.  

If one this is certain about this staff is they will play playmakers.  D. Davis anyone?  Worm?  Iggy... just to name a few

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Does perception change if Gus went to NCM and said we are going to play Seth more?

and where’s the love/hate for McClain I’m sure he would have made a huge difference this weekend against LSU he’s underutilized from the fans perspective.  

Remember early fall reports were JayVaughn was running 1st string from the reporters.  Guess he was underutilized and not given a chance but was talented.  

I repeat there is no coach in the country that will not get talented playmakers the ball or deserving players on the field to contribute.  

If one this is certain about this staff is they will play playmakers.  D. Davis anyone?  Worm?  Iggy... just to name a few

They do play JH and NM all the time for their blocking. I think it’s JS looking down certain receivers and not giving those guys a chance.

Archived