Jalen, Nate And JM gone now.

Eagle Eye 7

14 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Bunch of favorites left the program mid-season, yesterday. This board is discussing it like it was created to do. Seems most posts are giving everybody a fair shake. Why are you so upset about it? I'm a fan of yours, but you've been dogging since yesterday corch.

I just wish we could switch to talking about tomorrow’s game. I hope the player’s heads are not somewhere else tomorrow like this board’s is. (Not dogging anyone with this statement)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I just wish we could switch to talking about tomorrow’s game. I hope the player’s heads are not somewhere else tomorrow like this board’s is. (Not dogging anyone with this statement)

Well, thank goodness Arkansas is so putrid right now that even if our players show up in uniform with a semblance of a pulse they should handle the Hogs easily.  I feel for Morris, he had to take the leftovers from Burt and now he has to start all over from scratch with a fan base that's been on suicide watch for the past 3 yrs.

18 minutes ago, keesler said:

Well, thank goodness Arkansas is so putrid right now that even if our players show up in uniform with a semblance of a pulse they should handle the Hogs easily.  I feel for Morris, he had to take the leftovers from Burt and now he has to start all over from scratch with a fan base that's been on suicide watch for the past 3 yrs.

Just hope it ends up being as easy as everyone seems to think. I have not seen Arkansas play at all. I just know they had six interceptions last week. Starting a freshmen qb this week, which sometimes we end up making look like world beaters. Lol

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

8 per game ?   We have a diverse passing game with lots of receivers and almost nobody gets 8 in a game on a regular basis.....and no way 2 or 3 will see that many balls...JMO but if that is the expectation there will be lots of disappointed people.

Yeah, 8 is a lot in our offense.  But we don't know what is being told to the WRs during recruiting.   Do we think Gus tells top tier WR recruits 'yeah we will be a run first offense with Stidham and Nix but you may get 2 or 3 targets per game'?  No way he tells them that.  Eventually, this will catch up to him.  

Anyone see saban’s quotes from yesterday about some of this? Paraphrasing but does not like the fact the red shirt rule enhances prospects for graduate transfers.  Called it unintended consequences.

The article also said he was subtly talking to his players by saying they shouldn’t worry about the number of catches and carries they have but instead focus on better practice habits.

I’m not fond of him but he slways is very direct

14 hours ago, corchjay said:

This situation isn’t as much about the 4 game rule as it is about JayVaughn not getting playing time and NCM getting passed by a freshman. 

6 hours ago, auburnphan said:

My thought on transfers, just throwing it out there.  The guys were willing to make sacrifices for a championship run, once that got ruined, it was time to give themselves an opportunity to showcase themselves, to fulfill their life long dream. 

These two pretty much sum up the situation imo. All 4 players probably came into the season a bit tentative about their playing time or how they were being used, and as soon as things went south and they were still frustrated, they are looking for a better opportunity elsewhere.

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

Just hope it ends up being as easy as everyone seems to think. I have not seen Arkansas play at all. I just know they had six interceptions last week. Starting a freshmen qb this week, which sometimes we end up making look like world beaters. Lol

Arkansas is honestly god awful and internally in a disarray . If we can’t dominate them from start to finish then we should be worried. Especially coming after a loss.

Let’s just support the guys we have that are going to take the field on Saturday not the ones who quit.  I was raised to believe you don’t quit on your teammates.  I hate this feeling of entitlement that if I don’t get exactly what I want I’m going to quit.  As a coach you owe it to your team to put the best guys you have on the field.  When that puts someone else on the bench I’m sorry but it is what it is.  

4 hours ago, boomstick said:

I worry that this isn’t the last we’re going to see of the transfers. Come Sunday/Monday, we here of several more names. Things 

I think you are correct- and this does not seem to be about playing time and whatnot.  

We may see a repeat of 2012

The idea that these players are quitting has to be put to rest. The new rules in place leave the door open for a kid to preview his season and if he doesn't like what he sees or it's evident coaches were being less than truthful about things they now do not have to throw an entire year into the toilet. They get to save that year after the first month of the season. 

This rule is a gift to the players and they'd be stupid as **** if they didn't utilize and take advantage of the options given to them to better position themselves in life for the sake of some message board Joe Schmoe wiping doritos dust off his fingers calling him a quitter.

And prepare yourselves for more names to be added to the list come next week. Mostly guys who have barely seen the field this year or last year.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

The idea that these players are quitting has to be put to rest

Why? They are quitting, that's indisputable. What their reasoning may be is an entirely different subject but they are certainly quitting the Auburn program. Somewhere between 8 and 16 payers quit every year, the new rule just  compresses the timetable of the announcements.

14 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

I think you are correct- and this does not seem to be about playing time and whatnot.  

I hope not. I don't think I watched a single game that year. I just couldn't stomach it. 

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why? They are quitting, that's indisputable. What their reasoning may be is an entirely different subject but they are certainly quitting the Auburn program. Somewhere between 8 and 16 payers quit every year, the new rule just  compresses the timetable of the announcements.

Eh "Moving on" seems to be more appropriate than "quitting" to me. Quitting or being called a quitter has a much more negative connotation than what is really happening here IMO.  

If this was your son would you advise him to stay in the program, no matter how detrimental to his potential NFL career, and the money that comes from that, it may be?

In NCM's case, it's evident he would not improve his NFL stock here the way he has been used 2.3333 years in the program. So he is going somewhere where he could. I suppose it's the same as quitting a job for a better paycheck at another place of employment. But when someone mentions quitting in that sense it has quite a bit less vitriol attached to it. 

Good luck to them. 

This is football. People come and go all the time. Last year we lost our best Wr and Rb after a few games. The year before that our rb was lost right before the season. It happens. 

I am happy to see the freshmen play more now. 

39 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

I don't think it's 2012 bad or close to that. I don't think it's about players quitting. I just think there's some frustration with usage in the offense and the younger guys coming in and having such big roles, and I think there are some older guys getting upset about it. It could have something to do with the favoritism shown in the past to veteran players that doesn't seem to be happening along with some guys feeling like they were led to believe something about how the offense and defense were going to be run and it's not going that way right now. And I think depth is going to be the biggest thing impacted if we have more players leave. 

32 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's the way I see it.....and it's an advantage to players to pull the trigger and still be able to save a season of eligibility. 

JMO but once guys lose their position to some incoming freshman, their days of having an impact are over.    How many plays by Schwartz and Seth did C-M have to watch to know that those kids were taking his job? 

Look how hard Saban is working to keep Hurts on board....and lucky for him that they are so good, or the schedule so weak that he can give Hurts lots of playing time to keep him happy.    JMO but if bama were playing close games against good teams,  Tua would be getting the lion's share of the time and it would be clearer to Hurts that he has no real future at bama.   

Out of likes but good posts, @Tiger, @gr82b4au and @boomstick.

-These guys are technically quitting the team, but they're not "quitters". There's not some finish line that they're too tired to reach. If that were the case, they wouldn't be transferring to keep playing football. 

-This isn't some huge deal or referendum on Gus's control over the program. 

-2012? No.

3 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

They have no oline - our D will have to hold each other back or someone will kill that green QB.  Their defense is non-existent even with "Chief" running the show, AU will run all over them.  And if you saw the trick North Texas pulled on them on special teams last week on that kick return, you'd laugh your ass off.  (I don't know how to link $h!t or I'd provide a clip)

AU will dial it up, tally the points at +/-55 and call it a day.  All will be well in the Loveliest Village on the Plains, the fans will be happy once again! 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

-These guys are technically quitting the team, but they're not "quitters". There's not some finish line that they're too tired to reach. If that were the case, they wouldn't be transferring to keep playing football. 

-2012? No.

Yeah, they're definitely quitting the team, but it's about doing what they think is best for them. It's a really difficult topic to discuss IMO because there's a fine line to walk there, and it usually (not always) is an age/generational issue when discussing if it's right or wrong to do. I don't think Gus has lost control of this team. I think a combination of frustration and the new "out" guys were given by the NCAA on this RS rule has allowed for more of this to be immediate and public than in past years. And it's going to be a whirlwind for the next week or so with guys leaving before their 5th games. I don't think Auburn will be alone here, although we might get the most coverage as one of the higher profile schools to have multiple of these occur.

A lot of folks are acting like a third of our roster will be gone by Sunday, and AU will be the only program with players taking advantage of some new found choices. I’m fine with seeing more of Seth Williams, and Schwartz, and Shivers, and Boobie, and Shenker, and Tutt, and Monday, etc...For those on their way out, thanks for representing us the right way and best wishes. For those staying, next man up and fight to run the table. And for those upset about it all, welcome to a new era of college football. WDE and lets go whip some Hawgs. 

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's the way I see it.....and it's an advantage to players to pull the trigger and still be able to save a season of eligibility. 

JMO but once guys lose their position to some incoming freshman, their days of having an impact are over.    How many plays by Schwartz and Seth did C-M have to watch to know that those kids were taking his job? 

Look how hard Saban is working to keep Hurts on board....and lucky for him that they are so good, or the schedule so weak that he can give Hurts lots of playing time to keep him happy.    JMO but if bama were playing close games against good teams,  Tua would be getting the lion's share of the time and it would be clearer to Hurts that he has no real future at bama.   

Saban has told Hurts he's playing him, period.  Saban's not janking around with the 4 game/red-shirt year horseshyte - Saban's not saving games or delaying playing Jalen to salvage his red-shirt year. 

Now, Jalen can be a "team player" and do what he's been asked to do for his team, or he can make the announcement after the aTm game that he's done with uat, will transfer and like his daddy said earlier, he'll be the biggest free agent in college football.   But, I promise you Saban laid it down before the season ever started that he'd play Jalen in every game and the kid had the right to make his own decision for his future.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Saban has told Hurts he's playing him, period.  Saban's not janking around with the 4 game/red-shirt year horseshyte - Saban's not saving games or delaying playing Jalen for salvage his year. 

Now, Jalen can be a "team player" and do what he's been asked to do for his team, or he can make the announcement after the aTm game that he's done with uat, will transfer and like his daddy said earlier he'll be the biggest free agent in college football.   But, I promise you Saban laid it down before the season ever started that he'd play Jalen in every game and the kid had the right to make his own decision for his future.

I don't know what NS said (nor do you) but when Hurt's father started talking transfer he did take some action.   He has the luxury of playing Jalen and I guess that's all that JH wants is partial playing time which I think he is mostly getting when the game is already over.    I don't pay that much attention to what bama does but I wonder if JH will ever start a game this season?    though I really don't care either.   

Just opining that coaches are having to do some work and maybe make some promises to keep some kids engaged for the whole season whereas in the past there was not much worry about an unhappy player departing at mid season.    And keeping in mind it is participation in 4 games so it might be a bit later in the season for some guys to made the decision. 

Looking down on this from 30,000 feet. If a talent like Craig-Myers sees the writing on the wall for his future with Auburn, and that writing spells Seth Williams, I would say  Auburn's future at that position must be sound.

5 hours ago, around4ever said:

Yeah, 8 is a lot in our offense.  But we don't know what is being told to the WRs during recruiting.   Do we think Gus tells top tier WR recruits 'yeah we will be a run first offense with Stidham and Nix but you may get 2 or 3 targets per game'?  No way he tells them that.  Eventually, this will catch up to him.  

Most of the guys we recruit have been to multiple AU games and know what an AU offense looks like and hopefully are here because of AU and not just some idea of what offense Gus is going to tailor just for them.     I doubt the kids are that naïve...or the coaches that duplicitous. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

-2012? No.

Sorry but I have to disagree....the finish line is (or should be) the end of the season....like the guy at Buffalo retiring at halftime last Sunday.   

As for the AU guys, the rest of the team was counting on them to be there to do their best in the very difficult ball games ahead.    I accept that the new 'red shirt' rule probably influenced the timing of the decisions.  But....they have let their former team mates down and left the team short handed for the rest of the year. They were not just playing for Gus, they were playing for the other 80+ guys who make up the team and for Auburn University....  JMO 

Archived