Jalen, Nate And JM gone now.

Eagle Eye 7

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sorry but I have to disagree....the finish line is (or should be) the end of the season....like the guy at Buffalo retiring at halftime last Sunday.   

As for the AU guys, the rest of the team was counting on them to be there to do their best in the very difficult ball games ahead.    I accept that the new 'red shirt' rule probably influenced the timing of the decisions.  But....they have let their former team mates down and left the team short handed for the rest of the year. They were not just playing for Gus, they were playing for the other 80+ guys who make up the team and for Auburn University....  JMO 

And Nate and Jalen were counting on somebody to throw them the ball. See how that works?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

And Nate and Jalen were counting on somebody to throw them the ball. See how that works?

nope…..it's not supposed to be about them.....how about what is good for the TEAM.....though that might be a foreign concept these days.....

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

nope…..it's not supposed to be about them.....how about what is good for the TEAM.....though that might be a foreign concept these days.....

What a luxury it must be to honestly think that you'd be willing to compromise your chance at a multi million dollar contract to maybe help some guys win some games. 

Not to mention you just posted in another thread that he'd lost his job. So how much were these guys really depending on him?

Seems like you're just kinda making stuff up to support a position.

20 hours ago, DAG said:

You serious? Of course, the opportunity to play is more important. These guys are trying to go to the freaking NFL 

Which is exactly my point. The degree is secondary if that. Very few will get a shot at the NFL to begin with. 

6 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Just hope it ends up being as easy as everyone seems to think. I have not seen Arkansas play at all. I just know they had six interceptions last week. Starting a freshmen qb this week, which sometimes we end up making look like world beaters. Lol

Last week against LSU was supposed to be a cakewalk. Unfortunately, Auburn ended up wearing the cake instead of eating it. Show up ready to play and take care of business. :muscles:

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Today’s generation doesn’t see TEAM the same way we did. It’s generational. It’s a dying concept. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What a luxury it must be to honestly think that you'd be willing to compromise your chance at a multi million dollar contract to maybe help some guys win some games. 

Not to mention you just posted in another thread that he'd lost his job. So how much were these guys really depending on him?

Seems like you're just kinda making stuff up to support a position.

So , having trouble holding off a freshman competitor and you think he's gonna have a better chance at a multi-million dollar contract?   History is not on his side....but still he could have left before fall practice started and that would have been fine...but to wait part way through a season ….:dunno:  That's the point...IMO

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So , having trouble holding off a freshman competitor and you think he's gonna have a better chance at a multi-million dollar contract?   History is not on his side....but still he could have left before fall practice started and that would have been fine...but to wait part way through a season ….:dunno:  That's the point...IMO

He had no way of knowing before fall practice that it would play out this way. Not that it matters, because it's not like they were going to get someone else in that time and clearly he doesn't factor significantly into the offense. 

I apologize, btw, for the making stuff up comment. That was rude and unnecessary from me. I have more respect for you than that.

23 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Today’s generation doesn’t see TEAM the same way we did. It’s generational. It’s a dying concept. 

Team isn't a dying concept at all.

If you knew a guy back in the day who willingly sacrificed any shot at making millions of dollars just to help some other guys and a coach who may or may not have had his best interests in mind win a few college games- by doing something that he didn't join that team to do in the first place- then I question that guy's priorities a lot more than NCM's. I don't know his circumstances but him catching footballs might be the difference between his family being comfortable or not being comfortable. It's kind of sick and pathetically selfish to question a guy for doing what he needs to do in that situation.

And if Gus truly- *truly*- cares about Nate as much as some think Nate should care about Gus and his teammates, then Nate is leaving with Gus's full blessing.

And I guaran-gd-tee you his teammates are okay with it. 

Question: there have been three games this season. They can each play one more, right (technically)? Do they chose to play one and say bye or are they done now since they are clearly on their way out? And then what? They can’t come to practice anymore...etc.? 

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

Question: there have been three games this season. They can each play one more, right (technically)? Do they chose to play one and say bye or are they done now since they are clearly on their way out? And then what? They can’t come to practice anymore...etc.? 

Speculation on my part.  Tuition is paid for the semester, so they can obviously go to class.  I'm sure they could continue practice, but would you want them there?

Just now, BJCrawford said:

Do we have any type of list of players who have transferred and were much more successful at another university? And I mean one at the same level as auburn.

I have been watching that for as long as al.com has been running pieces on AU transfers and I think you will find the number is close to zero.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:33 PM, corchjay said:

JaLen Hurts dad said he would be the biggest free agent in football if he wasn’t the starter.  Saban has wronged Jalen?  Made promises he didn’t keep?  How will Saban ever recruit again?  

Has Gus always had the designated blocker WR?  Nope... so why think that’s a role in the offense for some great receiver. 

Heres an idea if you want 8-10catches a game go to the Air Raid big 12...  if you want to play in the best conference and go against the best to challenge yourself go to an SEC school and if you want to go to an SEC with a chance to win championships go to a place like Auburn.  

Its weird that “blocking WR position” that Seth Williams plays already has more catches then NCM in about a 10th of the playing time this year.  

Guess Gus just has it in for Nate because obviously us fans know more about the talents of the player then the coaches.  

You answered your own question. See what nick did he found a way to keep a good player by telling them both he needed them . Jalen still getting air time and showing his talent for the NFL. Exactly what I said Gus should have made an effort to keep Our Jalen and NCM. When Seth and Schratz go. Down and they will if they play much then who you going to play. I’m not a Saben fan but do you see how many guys he subs in each game a lot. He has 4 or 5 RBs every year turning yards . He ain’t interested in having a 1000 yard back he would rathe have 5 600 yard backs . The new rule is going to take coaches learning to do things different. Play more folks then you won’t  wind up at amen corner without a backup RB. This is exactly why uat can always reload because they are playing all their folks.

By the way in case you don’t know it Deshaun Davis almost left AU also under Muschamp because they would not give him a shot at LB. fortunately TW took over gave him a chance and we got   a world beater at Mike lb . Just saying.

I dont think NCM left cause of lack of playing time but he just wasnt deemed an integral part of AU's passing game. How I feel about that isnt even the important part, but when you look at a number like 7 targets in 3 games, that tells you all you need to know. Seth is an incredible talent and needs to be on the field, but you'd be remiss to say he couldnt also do that designated slant/post that Seth got open on twice last game. He did it against Bama through two defenders off the top of my head.

Its my speculation purely, but Id think its the designated targets and being called on more to block than be an actual receiver. On another note: I feel like the scheme doesnt allow for a Mike Williams or NCM who mainly works only in the short-intermediate. Possession guys here HAVE to have a little extra step to get in that second level, e.g Kyle Davis. I think the Sean White-KD possession was better than any Stidham-(insert possession receiver) yet, maybe it was play calling, maybe it was Sean being a smarter passer

7 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Speculation on my part.  Tuition is paid for the semester, so they can obviously go to class.  I'm sure they could continue practice, but would you want them there?

I wouldn’t. Even though it seems everything was handled correctly. 

I wonder if they will stay and go to class...and just workout on their own? 

8 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Do we have any type of list of players who have transferred and were much more successful at another university? And I mean one at the same level as auburn.

We have had several who have transferred in to Auburn from same level schools who have been very successful at Auburn. Just to name a few recent transfers: Cam (with a Juco stop) Corey Grant, Nick Marshall, Trey Matthews.  

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any who have succeeded after transferring out. 

If you're the type of receiver he was, you're going to block in this offensive scheme. Quicker receivers are going to catch screen passes, run sweeps and flail at our constant rain of hail mary's. The question I have is how we recruit these higher rated possession receivers anyway. The middle of the field is a place we very rarely attack. 

10 hours ago, AidiAU said:

I'm not their coach, but if I was and they are leaving the team, I'd help them clean out their lockers and wish them good luck. Probably move them to a different dorm away from the players, if possible. "Lead, follow or get out of the way".  They've chosen a different path, they are no longer part of the team so they need to move (or be moved) out of the way. I cannot see the slightest benefit to keeping them around the players.

9 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

By the way in case you don’t know it Deshaun Davis almost left AU also under Muschamp because they would not give him a shot at LB. fortunately TW took over gave him a chance and we got   a world beater at Mike lb . Just saying.

So did Bo Jackson. The oft-told story is that he was sitting on the bus bench waiting for his bus back to B'ham and decided to fight through it at Auburn one more time. "Almost" leaving is quite common. Some fight through it, some depart. The list of departees that have succeeded at other P-5 level schools, as @AU64 noted above, is probably zero. I can't name one.

10 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Each week, AL.com runs articles updating how AU (and UAT) transfers fared. Summary: the results are mixed.  Tim Irvin and Carlito Gonzalez are not playing very much at ECU and Memphis respectively. Marlon Character sees a little action but doesn’t start at Louisville. Justin Thornton and Tre Threat are playing some and are solid contributors at JSU. Antwan Jackson is not starting or playing much at OSU from what I can tell. On the other hand, Byron Cowart is putting up some good production at Maryland, and Woody Barrett is starting at Kent State and putting up some really good numbers. From last season, Roc Thomas had an excellent year at JSU and is on the Vikings roster in the NFL. The article comes out every week on Monday or Tuesday with rolling updates. WDE!!!

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

We have had several who have transferred in to Auburn from same level schools who have been very successful at Auburn. Just to name a few recent transfers: Cam (with a Juco stop) Corey Grant, Nick Marshall, Trey Matthews.  

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any who have succeeded after transferring out. 

Roc Thomas transferred to JSU, which is not Power 5, and was good enough to make the Vikings roster. This is one case where I feel that our coaches couldn’t find a way to optimize his skill set while at AU. He was more suited to a Kenyan Drake role than he was an every down RB. 

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:
14 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Team isn't a dying concept at all.

If you knew a guy back in the day who willingly sacrificed any shot at making millions of dollars just to help some other guys and a coach who may or may not have had his best interests in mind win a few college games- by doing something that he didn't join that team to do in the first place- then I question that guy's priorities a lot more than NCM's. I don't know his circumstances but him catching footballs might be the difference between his family being comfortable or not being comfortable. It's kind of sick and pathetically selfish to question a guy for doing what he needs to do in that situation.

And if Gus truly- *truly*- cares about Nate as much as some think Nate should care about Gus and his teammates, then Nate is leaving with Gus's full blessing.

And I guaran-gd-tee you his teammates are okay with it. 

I understand both of what you're saying.  

Loof, you're right when talking about the younger generation.  Since the 90's, I'd estimate, the term "business" has been widely used and each group after each group are more and more in tune with that.  Not to mention as decades go by people are genuinely more selfish and more about taking care if no. 1 first. To them "team" is fine but these younger guys see a "teammate" making a financial decision that they also want to make and "get it".  So, you're right, there's usually no hard feelings and they're okay with it.  Look at the number of kids who leave early now that don't even get drafted....  

To EMT's point before the 90's the only guys who ever left early were first round draft picks.... period.  And even then, you rarely saw guys leave early.  I never even HEARD of a grad transfer.  Recruiting star rankings?  Nope.  Only a very select few geeks had any idea what those were.  Coaches actually made players cut their hair and dress like young men instead of today where they look like hippie mountain men or like they have an octopus on their head and dress like they just got out of bed to drink some OJ from the carton in the the middle of the night.

And yes, because NFL salaries and college TV money etc wasn't what it is today, most players understood that they weren't going pro.  They actually were playing the Pinnacle of their dream and WANTED to represent their team and college.  It's just the "way it was".  

Things are just different now.  If you were young then then you miss those days.  If you're young now you don't get it and even mock it. In 10-20 years, I suspect college football as we know it won't even exist.  It'll be 2 hand touch, with 1 hr games (45 mins of which will be commercials) only played by freshmen, sophomores and guys who suck.

33 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Roc Thomas transferred to JSU, which is not Power 5, and was good enough to make the Vikings roster. This is one case where I feel that our coaches couldn’t find a way to optimize his skill set while at AU. He was more suited to a Kenyan Drake role than he was an every down RB. 

I thought the issue was that he wanted to be the every down back and coaches did not see it that way.   Coaches wanted him in the combo role of RB and WR.  BUT... and this is JMO,   2 years as the every down back at AU and he would not survived his career running against UGa, Bama, MSU and the like.  

He made a good move …..but not in the middle of a season however....and I'm happy he is in the NFL....but as noted......he's one of the 5% or fewer.   

FCS is where most of our departees end up and some of them do well but many are never heard from again and I wonder if they ever got a degree from their second school. :dunno: 

Archived