QB & WR development?

SKIPPER_01

Does Malzahn stuggle in this department?

Do we even have a QB coach?

Has anyone ever seen a Malzahn QB stand in the pocket and read the defense and throw to a 2nd or 3rd progression? 

I wish we would incorporate some pro style schemes so we could show recruits that you can be groomed for the NFL here. I'm afraid there is a ton of negative recruiting against Auburn because of our scheme. We lucked into getting Stidham and I am not seeing much improvement in his game since he arrived.

Message board talk after Coates and Ricard went to league is that didn't know much about running routes. 

Kodi Burns. I do miss Dameyune Craig. I haven't seen much struggles between our qb and receivers tbh . I think they look pretty good but losing kerryon and the o-line could be a good starting point as to why there have been some early pains. We had a TD on a pro style play against Lsu w the fake toss while under center like 3rd and goal. 

Could always bring Scott Loeffler back LOL 

3 minutes ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

Does Malzahn stuggle in this department?

Do we even have a QB coach?

Has anyone ever seen a Malzahn QB stand in the pocket and read the defense and throw to a 2nd or 3rd progression? 

I wish we would incorporate some pro style schemes so we could show recruits that you can be groomed for the NFL here. I'm afraid there is a ton of negative recruiting against Auburn because of our scheme. We lucked into getting Stidham and I am not seeing much improvement in his game since he arrived.

Message board talk after Coates and Ricard went to league is that didn't know much about running routes. 

SW was actually pretty good at it. Alas, he was taken for granted included by me. He actually was the most fundamentally sound QB under Gus tenure tbh. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

SW was actually pretty good at it. Alas, he was taken for granted included by me. He actually was the most fundamentally sound QB under Gus tenure tbh. 

I liked SW just felt like he needed a more pass happy offense with short-intermediate routes. It's not QB development so much as matching the offense to the qb's skill set or not recruiting kids who don't fit the system. Choose.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I liked SW just felt like he needed a more pass happy offense with short-intermediate routes. It's not QB development so much as matching the offense to the qb's skill set or not recruiting kids who don't fit the system. Choose.

QB development does seem to be an issue though which is okay! Not everybody can be a QB whisperer. Kevin Sumlin is someone who is not a QB whisperer, however, if he hired the right people and found the right type of QB, his offense flourished. Look at Kyler Murray. He is night and day. People always bring up how we missed Lamar Jackson, but the fact is, Petrino made LJ to what he was. Petrino isn’t half the coach that Gus is, but he knows how to coach up QBs. I put Gus in this light.

I think CCL can be a good QB coach, but sometimes it is up to the player to actually follow through as well. Who knows what goes on behind close doors . I am not going to put all the onus on the coaching staff.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Can I pulls Viper in this one? ;D

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Put Sean’s guts into Stidham and you’d have one hell of a QB.  Problem is you’d probably also have an injured Qb.

The way SW glided around the pocket always keeping his eyes down field was so nice to see.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The way SW glided around the pocket always keeping his eyes down field was so nice to see.

Like I said, I watched Baker Mayfield last night...I hope Nix is looking at a lot of his film.

47 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Put Sean’s guts into Stidham and you’d have one hell of a QB.  Problem is you’d probably also have an injured Qb.

I got what you're saying...but let's be careful.  Stidham takes a lot of shots on scrambles...without sliding.  When he's outside of the pocket on the run, he has plenty of guts.

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

Like I said, I watched Baker Mayfield last night...I hope Nix is looking at a lot of his film.

I got crucified when I said SW and Baker were similar. I'm still contend they were...one was just a lot more talented. They were still from the same mold though

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I got crucified when I said SW and Baker were similar. I'm still contend they were...one was just a lot more talented. They were still from the same mold though

They were close in style but not in ability.    Baker was quick on his feet and faster.    He also , in my opinion,  had way more arm strength 

Our system doesn't always develop WR's to the fullest, it is not the WR coach.  NFL loves the blocking ability of our receivers. One issue is terrible route running, from lack of routes to run in this offense.   Reading defenses, they are hardly ever asked to  do this.  Helping a qb when a play breaks down, again has to do with how we practice.

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

People forget how fast Sean was.  He broke off a couple of 40+ yard runs in his time.  

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

They were close in style but not in ability.    Baker was quick on his feet and faster.    He also , in my opinion,  had way more arm strength 

100% agree. 

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Our system doesn't always develop WR's to the fullest, it is not the WR coach.  NFL loves the blocking ability of our receivers. One issue is terrible route running, from lack of routes to run in this offense.   Reading defenses, they are hardly ever asked to  do this.  Helping a qb when a play breaks down, again has to do with how we practice.

You are 100 percent right with this.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Yeah, just ask them to read the DB and run an option route.  They'd probably start looking for someone to block.

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Not to mention "hurt".

59 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Our DBs go up against these routes everyday...interesting that that position is considered our weakest on defense. Just a thought.

25 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Our DBs go up against these routes everyday...interesting that that position is considered our weakest on defense. Just a thought.

I had not even thought it trickling into the defensive development.  Makes sense tho. Sheeeesh.....

We are melting really hard after a 1 point loss to a current top 10 team. It's never quite as bad as it seems nor is it quite as good as it seems under Gus. Even with all of Gus' weak points, and all the valid points of contention people have with him, barring Gus losing the team I think we have a shot to win 10 games still with some improvement/adjustments.

That is the positive me. I'm trying not to think about how TAMU has a better coach than us for the forseeable future making our road to win the division that much harder. Or that we can't recruit OL. Or develop the studs we get at WR. Or teach a QB seemingly anything that they didn't already know before they got here. Or that we can't seem to beat Ed Orgeron due to him literally outcoaching Gus in the only times they've faced off. At this point Gus has a losing record against Saban, Smart, Ed O, and Jimbo. Those are the 4 teams I see giving us major fits moving forward unfortunately.

I'm having a schitzo Friday, I know...I know...

Archived