QB & WR development?

SKIPPER_01

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We are melting really hard after a 1 point loss to a current top 10 team. It's never quite as bad as it seems nor is it quite as good as it seems under Gus. Even with all of Gus' weak points, and all the valid points of contention people have with him, barring Gus losing the team I think we have a shot to win 10 games still with some improvement/adjustments.

That is the positive me. I'm trying not to think about how TAMU has a better coach than us for the forseeable future making our road to win the division that much harder. Or that we can't recruit OL. Or develop the studs we get at WR. Or teach a QB seemingly anything that they didn't already know before they got here. Or that we can't seem to beat Ed Orgeron due to him literally outcoaching Gus in the only times they've faced off. At this point Gus has a losing record against Saban, Smart, Ed O, and Jimbo. Those are the 4 teams I see giving us major fits moving forward unfortunately.

I'm having a schitzo Friday, I know...I know...

And players leaving. Don't forget about players leaving. 

And lack of focus. Gus's teams exhibit an unrivaled ability to blow double digit leads.

13 UGA/13 Natty/14 IB/LSU 17 & 18.

Tega came out and said it in the press conference, "We relaxed when we got the lead." I mean what in the actual #&$*$¥@,@£#;#£$,@...?

That attitude comes directly from coaching. I hope Gus can fix these issues. We have no killer instinct; I mean, when we play good teams that adjust and don't quit. It's almost like it surprises Gus and co. when this happens. 

Losing by one point to LSU is not a big deal at all in a vacuum. Auburn has real issues that they need to get a handle on. Only people that can do that is Gus/coaches/Jarret. We need a freaking leader on offense. We got nodda. 

Melt [ON] Off

I'm sorry guys. I'm just pissed. 

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

They were close in style but not in ability.    Baker was quick on his feet and faster.    He also , in my opinion,  had way more arm strength 

SW  bong skills off the charts though.....

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Petrino isn’t half the coach that Gus is, but he knows how to coach up QBs. I put Gus in this light.

Wow. Interesting view.  Can you expand on the coaching advantages?

The answer is yes, Gus struggles with developing players. I have said that for years.  Name a skill position player who was substantially better when he left than when he arrived.  It's not all on Gus but he is ultimately responsible. 

6 minutes ago, AUgrad97 said:

Wow. Interesting view.  Can you expand on the coaching advantages?

What do you mean? I don’t have the intricacies of why Petrino seems to be a better QB coach than Gus but if you look at Petrino track record , his QBs tend to produce at a much higher level :

Jake Plummer

Brian Brohm

Ryan Mallet

Tyler Wilson 

Lamar Jackson

1 hour ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

And players leaving. Don't forget about players leaving. 

And lack of focus. Gus's teams exhibit an unrivaled ability to blow double digit leads.

13 UGA/13 Natty/14 IB/LSU 17 & 18.

Tega came out and said it in the press conference, "We relaxed when we got the lead." I mean what in the actual #&$*$¥@,@£#;#£$,@...?

That attitude comes directly from coaching. I hope Gus can fix these issues. We have no killer instinct; I mean, when we play good teams that adjust and don't quit. It's almost like it surprises Gus and co. when this happens. 

Losing by one point to LSU is not a big deal at all in a vacuum. Auburn has real issues that they need to get a handle on. Only people that can do that is Gus/coaches/Jarret. We need a freaking leader on offense. We got nodda. 

Melt [ON] Off

I'm sorry guys. I'm just pissed. 

Well...You aren't wrong

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

What do you mean? I don’t have the intricacies of why Petrino seems to be a better QB coach than Gus but if you look at Petrino track record , his QBs tend to produce at a much higher level :

Jake Plummer

Brian Brohm

Ryan Mallet

Tyler Wilson 

Lamar Jackson

I don't even think its debatable on Petrino vs Gus in the QB coaching/development department. At all.

I hold out hope that Gus can bring in a quarterback developer as an OC or at least a position coach.

Here's a bizarre stat that surely only Auburn can boast: the last QB AU signed out of high school that went on to be a legitimate, multi-year starter was Brandon Cox. It's been 11 years since he suited up. 

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

Jake Plummer

Brian Brohm

Ryan Mallet

Tyler Wilson 

Lamar Jackson

My comment was centered on the notion that CGM was twice the coach CBP is.  I found that observation to be curious and was interested in why you felt Gus was overall a much better coach.  I have always felt Petrino was a very good coach but made poor moral and ethical decisions.  

1 minute ago, AUgrad97 said:

My comment was centered on the notion that CGM was twice the coach CBP is.  I found that observation to be curious and was interested in why you felt Gus was overall a much better coach.  I have always felt Petrino was a very good coach but made poor moral and ethical decisions.  

Petrino is not a very good recruiter for one. He tends to prioritize on one aspect and not another. For example, he is part of the reason Arkansas was devoid of talent in his absence. He highlighted skill players, but was abysmal in identifying needs such as on the defensive side and between the trenches.

We are seeing this once again in UL right now. Also, the couple of years Arkansas offense went off..those players were home grown Arkansas boys. Ryan Mallett , the warren 5 , joe Adams..all studs who fell in his lap. I also think he does a bad job in finding quality assistants. Also like you said, he seemed devoid of character. It is hard to lead and build a foundation when you don’t have an infustructure to stand on. For example, he was known as a flight risk coach.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I hold out hope that Gus can bring in a quarterback developer as an OC or at least a position coach.

Here's a bizarre stat that surely only Auburn can boast: the last QB AU signed out of high school that went on to be a legitimate, multi-year starter was Brandon Cox. It's been 11 years since he suited up. 

Hold out hope?  Every NCAA program just added a coach to their staff this year, Gus had a prime opportunity to add a QB position coach.:dunno:

42 minutes ago, keesler said:

Hold out hope?  Every NCAA program just added a coach to their staff this year, Gus had a prime opportunity to add a QB position coach.:dunno:

Well what else can I do? I'm not a donor so I can't lobby to see him fired.

But even if I was, I wouldn't. I don't want to see Gus gone because I think, despite his obvious shortcomings, he's inarguably a top 10 head coach (currently).

18 hours ago, keesler said:

Remember it was just last year Gus “allowed” the QBs to have a personal coach.  Gus has wanted to have complete control of his QBs which might be the reason he hasn’t been able to get quality QBs on campus straight out of HS.  Baby steps.

On 9/21/2018 at 9:53 AM, Win4AU said:

People forget how fast Sean was.  He broke off a couple of 40+ yard runs in his time.  

?????

The fact someone said the NFL loves our wr blocking ability just about sums up how good we've been developing skill positions

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

The fact someone said the NFL loves our wr blocking ability just about sums up how good we've been developing skill positions

I know. How ironic is that...

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Yes, Auburn wide receivers are so loved by the NFL, for their blocking ability, that we have one on an active roster

Archived