Open Club  ·  57 members

BBQ Boys

Smoking with a propane grill

SaturdayGT

Has anyone ever tried taking a cheap, Walmart, cast iron skillet, throw some wood chips or chunks in it, and put it in a propane grill when cooking meats? Ive heard of this being a trick for electric smokers.  I cant imagine why it wouldn't work in a Weber propane grill.  A buddy of mine has a propane Weber, and thought about running this by him. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, SaturdayGT said:

Has anyone ever tried taking a cheap, Walmart, cast iron skillet, throw some wood chips or chunks in it, and put it in a propane grill when cooking meats? Ive heard of this being a trick for electric smokers.  I cant imagine why it wouldn't work in a Weber propane grill.  A buddy of mine has a propane Weber, and thought about running this by him. Any thoughts?

It's doable, but not the same.  I've done it with charcoal too (soak chips, put them in tin foil, poke holes in tin foil, put onto the charcoal itself).  Unfortunately you just get the penetration that you would normally associate as you would with traditional smokers.  It's like drinking Diet Coke.

Archived