people feel like a QB change is the fix

Dual-Threat Rigby

Now obviously, we're mostly in unison than the OL just isnt good. That goes without saying. But the secondary issue for alot of people, something that's rising to succeed even the Gus playcalling is Jarrett's impotence with noticing receivers deep. I'll preface it with this, I have called for the backup QB often in years since Nick. 2015 was a wash whoever was back there, but 2016, I felt that between KP and Kerryon, plus the speed sweep, using JF3 in spurts to boost the run game would've helped Auburn. In 2017, I felt that using Willis in the red zone would've helped our issues down there more than forcing KJ, who was often running hurt in that area, or letting JS run around aimlessly, refusing to take a shot.

But in 2018, I don't think the alternatives remedy the problems. Here's why:

1. The lack of a QB running presence: Would this open the game up for the RBs a little more,  maybe make it easier for the OLine? Yeah, on paper. BUT, you have to have that throwing threat. We'd need either Gatewood to show he's improved in that regard or hope that Willis has revitalized his ability to read the game. He seems neutered in that regard (more because of Gus than himself, but I digress). Plus the OL hasnt shown the ability to hold up on the edge and the interior isnt going to be good this year. If they just stack the box, the RO is going to be food against UA or UGA.

2. The deep ball disappearing: Has Stidham been horrendous throwing deep? Yes. Has Auburn tried to remedy it with a few different looks? Yes. Has it worked? Well... I think Stidham has been completely demoralized mentally by the pressure in his face combined with having to think over everything deep. He just second and third guesses his passes so much that we dont even get to see the WRs shine when they are working to get open. Now sometimes, they dont work for him after things break down, thats a fact. But between the ASU game,  couple times in the LSU game and today, we have to blame him at least more than the receivers, maybe not as much as the OLine though. Its another fact: when Stidham has a clear pocket and a clear mind, hes as dangerous as anybody. When he doesn't, he's one of the worst field generals in the SEC. But who are you replacing him with? Willis isnt allowed to run the passing game, Gatewood has a cannon but who knows how accurate he is, and Sandberg..If someone can give me like 2 reasons why Sandberg is a better passing option than Stidham, im willing to listen. 

3. Gus: I think its a disservice to yourself to think Gus is going to adjust to the offense to the backups, he doesn't even adjust it to the guy starting right now. It took him a year and a half to get the offense THIS developed to work around Jarrett. When Sean got hurt and JF3 had to come in, the only experience he had throwing was screens and like one slant. Guess what he ran against Vandy? When Jeremy came in against Bama the previous year, Gus tried to basically run the same offense as Sean, but what strengths JJ had wasn't found in developing plays. He worked best with quick short throws (not screens) and had a strong arm. Didnt like getting hit which made him pretty useless running sometimes, but we're not here to rag on JJ. the point is, Gus is going to run generally the same offense that he runs for the starter as for whoever else.

This is a really long read, but its my personal opinion on why I dont think changing the QB would fix this sinking ship unless wholesale changes were made along with it.  

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

unless something is done about the offensive line, does not matter who is behind center. Jmo. but I will also add (like you pointed out) that when given the opportunity and time to go downfield, he has missed and missed badly. 

• WarTiger changed the title to people feel like a QB change is the fix

Quality post. Would give you an reaction but I am fresh out. This is my concern. Bo Nix has been pretty much named the savior by a great many on this forum. What if this offense does him a disservice. I really don’t know where to go with this..I don’t know if it is player? Coach and player? Coach? 

But I just see SW, JS and I can’t help but think, where would they be with another QB coach or offensive scheme. Don’t crush me or call me a Gus basher for typing this. Just thinking out loud. I don’t know if Bo Nix is going to be as good with his feet in the SEC as people think. I feel like he will have potential to be an excellent passer, but if it isn’t being utilized appropriately then what?

just really thrown off at the moment.

Our offensive line can not block consistently. I don’t know with Stidham.. he has his moments when he looks great (Washington game) and moments like tonight. I was concerned after the ASU game because he was overthrowing receivers etc. and he hasn’t had a decent game since that Washington game. I have no idea.. it is crazy. 

Just now, johnnyAU said:

Yes, I know. It means there is no fix and we're mired in mediocrity until he's gone.

Without a proven o line and feature back to run through the holes given, it’s going to be an uphill battle. I’m not sure we can put the issues solely on Gus, even though it’s the popular scapegoat to use. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Without a proven o line and feature back to run through the holes given, it’s going to be an uphill battle. I’m not sure we can put the issues solely on Gus, even though it’s the popular scapegoat to use. 

Popular? He's the obvious problem.

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Why? So he can be sacked multiple times/game and throw 2 dozen screen passes?

Because he is exactly the type of QB that Gus needs.

10 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

HC change is the fix. The problem isn't with the QB. 

5 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Why? So he can be sacked multiple times/game and throw 2 dozen screen passes?

5 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Yes, I know. It means there is no fix and we're mired in mediocrity until he's gone.

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

It isn't Stidham's fault. Gus and company can barely get the freaking play in on time, and when they do, most of the time the D already knows what's coming.

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

tumblr_otf1vdCVCS1qg7cxco1_500.gif

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

But he’s the only problem? Not the anemic offensive line, lack of running game due to such? Lack of Stidham’s reads and over throws?

Gus isn’t the sole problem of the offense, like I said. 

Our offensive woes don’t fall solely on Gus imo. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Because he is exactly the type of QB that Gus needs.

If we can only be successful with one very elite and specific type of QB, then the problem is pretty obvious.

Not the anemic offensive line, lack of running game due to such? Lack of Stidham’s reads and over throws?

How are those not coaching/recruiting responsibilities of the HC?

Just now, johnnyAU said:

How are those not coaching/recruiting responsibilities of the HC?

Well I would assume the offensive line coaching falls on Grimes. But I suppose we could blame Gus for hiring him, if that’s what you’re reaching for. 

Not sure where Gus comes into play when Stidham is overthrowing wide open receivers downfield by 10 yards, or making improper reads. 

4 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

This isn't Malzahn's 1st year. Dude is in his 6th year as HC. He's had ample time to build, and coach the system he thinks he needs. 

Did you complain this much last year heading into UGA and the Iron Bowl? Or did you put it on pause until we lost to UGA in the SECCG and Peach Bowl when we had a less than 100% KJ?

Well I would assume the offensive line coaching falls on Grimes. But I suppose we could blame Gus for hiring him, if that’s what you’re reaching for. 

Not sure where Gus comes into play when Stidham is overthrowing wide open receivers downfield by 10 yards, or making improper reads. 

There's no reaching. Gus is responsible for recruiting the OL that Grimes inherited, and the hiring of Grimes. He's also responsible for the offensive direction, even if he doesn't call every single play now, and he's ultimately responsible for Stidham's development, or lack thereof.

Archived