Stidham's Accuracy

RunInRed

I believe @JMR touched on this last week after LSU but it does feel like he's regressed since last season.  He's gone from "dropping dimes" to consistently missing key throws.  Yes, he was harassed all night tonight but he also missed some fairly easy TDs if he didn't overthrow his receiver.  Thoughts?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I believe @JMR touched on this last week after LSU but it does feel like he's regressed since last season.  He's gone from "dropping dimes" to consistently missing key throws.  Yes, he was harassed all night tonight but he also missed some fairly easy TDs if he didn't overthrow his receiver.  Thoughts?

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5ba7174a426434596b

His surgery was on the non throwing shoulder. Any chance that could be somewhat of a cause? I know it probably makes no sense and is a dumb question, but aside from the OL and KJ leaving, what changed?

I used to hate the argument that Gus absolutely requires a mobile QB to have success in this offense; but as each game goes by, I’m being convinced that we need a QB with some wheels. 

Stid doesn’t exactly have Clint Moseley’s lead boots, but he really doesn’t have any elusiveness or speed either.

Poor accuracy, poor pocket presence.  I haven’t really studied his mechanics this year because everything seemed pretty tight and accurate last year.  

But so far isn’t playing very well.  

I found out the title to our playbook that we give to our quarterbacks:

”Screens, handoffs, and long bombs. Literally nothing else.”

Stidham should be at a true spread team running a West Coast offense where he can get into a rhythm with confidence building passes. He’s got an arm on him but he needs better timing and presumably more reps on his long bomb.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I found out the title to our playbook that we give to our quarterbacks:

”Screens, handoffs, and long bombs. Literally nothing else.”

Stidham should be at a true spread team running a West Coast offense where he can get into a rhythm with confidence building passes. He’s got an arm on him but he needs better timing and presumably more reps on his long bomb.

He missed Slayton also on a wide open intermediate throw as well.  Missed the corner route to Seth by 15 yards.  Over threw the fly/go to Slayton by 10 yards and over threw Schwartz as well.  

Timing is way off and not because of lack of throws just isn’t setting his feet and delivering the ball it seems to me.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

He missed Slayton also on a wide open intermediate throw as well.  Missed the corner route to Seth by 15 yards.  Over threw the fly/go to Slayton by 10 yards and over threw Schwartz as well.  

Timing is way off and not because of lack of throws just isn’t setting his feet and delivering the ball it seems to me.  

He thinks he needs to be ready to run for yardage...and his life...at any given moment. 

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

He thinks he needs to be ready to run for yardage...and his life...at any given moment. 

I agree the line isn’t playing well but in reality he’s only been sacked 1 time each the past 2 games.  Sometimes you have to man up and stand in the pocket.  That’s my take on it

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I agree the line isn’t playing well but in reality he’s only been sacked 1 time each the past 2 games.  Sometimes you have to man up and stand in the pocket.  That’s my take on it

Fair enough, could be playing scared though

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

exactly, if he dont find some pocket moxie, sundays will be his day of rest just like the rest of us

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Oh I agree with you that he needs to stand in the pocket. It's just that I believe he is very skittish.....or maybe he's trying to compensate for the O-line's limited abilities right now. 

5 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Oh I agree with you that he needs to stand in the pocket. It's just that I believe he is very skittish.....or maybe he's trying to compensate for the O-line's limited abilities right now. 

it seems like he has been this way since the day he got here ... always happy feet and a lot of times he just takes off scramblin around when there wasnt any pressure at all

I've been trying to defend him but I can't anymore 

Somebody must be upset he didn't get engaged to them and thereby....

IMG_1499.GIF

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

I think he doesn't trust his O-line, and it's messing with his head. 

Spot on. It's mental, and from how much he bails you can tell he isn't comfortable and focusing on the throw. Too worried about getting hit.

The best thing that could happen to Jarrett honestly is to get his bell ring by a Linebacker (and hop up okay, obviously). He is petrified of contact in the pocket. 

I wrote in the thread after the first game his footwork was horrible and he doesn't seem to trust his o line. Now I see why he's gun shy

6 hours ago, RunInRed said:

I think there are a combination of things.  Stidham has never had an opportunity to get in a rhythm this season and hasn't been as sharp.  The offensive line getting destroyed up the middle on nearly every passing. play never allows him to set and step into a throw.  And another thing is as fans we might be overreacting. 

He was 7-11 last night in the first half.  Missed his 1st pass to Slayton, looked like a bad throw assuming Slayton was where he was suppose to be.  Missed 2nd pass to Whitlow was ugly.  3rd pass deep in corner of end zone, tough pass, defensive holding was obvious.  Only other incompletion is Schwartz drop.

Second half Stidham 8/11.  Missed on a long one to Slayton, sure JS will say he should have hit him, was also his first pass thrown over 10 yards the entire game in the 3rd quarter.  Next pass incomplete.  Last incompletion just off Schwartz's fingertips after he was held slowing him down, can't fault Stidham.

So I would say he has 3 throws he wants back of all the throws last night.  Many mention guys being open here and there and he missed them, after watching the game with limited camera views I saw guys open but not possible to make the throw or they flashed open before the slow developing first read happened.

Snap count, after how many years you think Gus might want to make some adjustments.

Offensive line, nice guys that you would want to date your daughter, but sure as heck not go to a fight with.  No nasty, no explosion, no leadership.

WR hard to tell when I think 16 of 22 pass plays were screens passes

Coaches job to put QB/offense in situations to succeed

For the forever time in his HC career here, we are a quarter of the way through the season and we still have no offensive identity.

It's hard to blame Stidham for the shortcomings of the offense.   The offense has no identity, as auburnphan noted, is typical of Gus. Even with Cam, no identity until the 3rd game.   The OLine is not good because of inherent blocking schemes designed in.  The plays are designed for a 3 or 4 man defensive front.  The DCs have figured that out and we consistently see 6, 7, 8 and the occasional 9 in the box.  We don't have provisions to block that as most teams do not.  The difference is we still try to run into it.  Teams know we are not going to throw over the middle crossing routes or slant routes that LBs are normally responsible for covering so the LBs just creep up into the box and stop the run or blitz the QB.  Until we can prove we will throw intermediate passes, slants and crossing routes, this will continue.  

In a nutshell, Gus's offense is due for a major overhaul. All of the offensive coaches need to spend the entire winter spring and summer redesigning the offense.  But we all know Gus is the guru and his offense is the best there is when everybody executes perfectly and the defense does what he expects them to do. 

One play stood out to me last night.....corner blitz, Stidham looking straight at it.     WR, instead of sitting down right behind the corner who is gone, continues to run a fly right into coverage.    Stidham doesn't know what to do and takes a sack.     Poor QB decision, probably.   Poor scheme, route trees, check offs, etc., definitely.    We have a very unsophisticated passing game that is not up to college standards.     The "here's the play - run it" mentality is about 20 yrs behind the times.  

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I wrote in the thread after the first game his footwork was horrible and he doesn't seem to trust his o line. Now I see why he's gun shy

I wish the Stidham that played the Washington game would show up. He has fallen off a cliff since that game. 

48 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

For the first time in his HC career here, we are a quarter of the way through the season and we still have no offensive identity.

This. 3 things I see the reason for this. First is Oline since they have had issues run and pass blocking.  2nd is we are not seriously considering being a pass first team this year.  3rd, and this is the most frustrating, we find something that is working and don't stick with it. 

The short, middle passing game has been successful when we go there, then it disappears.  My thoughts is go a little west coast offense to break tendencies that have been the same for years.  Give JS short throws beyond the LOS to negate the philosophy and poor oline play

6 hours ago, corchjay said:

Did he make some changes off season?   Wonder if he is getting conflicting instruction....like me and golf lessons which usually ends up hurting my swing more than it helps.

He has played some big games last year, so a little tough to criticize him.

But, I wish he would read the plays a little quicker, seems like takes a little too much time reading everything. We have seen QB's who step in or dodge rushers and then make accurate throws. What do I know, never played a down in my life :-)

Archived