Stidham's Accuracy

RunInRed

35 minutes ago, around4ever said:

It's hard to blame Stidham for the shortcomings of the offense.   The offense has no identity, as auburnphan noted, is typical of Gus. Even with Cam, no identity until the 3rd game.   The OLine is not good because of inherent blocking schemes designed in.  The plays are designed for a 3 or 4 man defensive front.  The DCs have figured that out and we consistently see 6, 7, 8 and the occasional 9 in the box.  We don't have provisions to block that as most teams do not.  The difference is we still try to run into it.  Teams know we are not going to throw over the middle crossing routes or slant routes that LBs are normally responsible for covering so the LBs just creep up into the box and stop the run or blitz the QB.  Until we can prove we will throw intermediate passes, slants and crossing routes, this will continue.  

In a nutshell, Gus's offense is due for a major overhaul. All of the offensive coaches need to spend the entire winter spring and summer redesigning the offense.  But we all know Gus is the guru and his offense is the best there is when everybody executes perfectly and the defense does what he expects them to do. 

Excellent post. I’ve been saying many of these same things and it’s maddening that Gus can’t seem to see and understand all that you stated.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you realize that we only had one (1) drive for a TD last night?  All other scores were scored or set up by Special Teams or Defense creating a turnover giving the Offense a short field.  That is unreal!!  Come on Gus!!!  You are better than that, I think. 

It seemed to me Stidham was getting a little frustrated with the tempo of the game at times.  Several times, when the play clock was winding down, we either took a penalty or called time out.  Stidham tossed the ball to the ground in what seemed frustration.  I know in the pro game QBs will do that to signal the play has stopped, but last night there was no rush to worry about in those situations.

The offense is regressing, not passing the eyeball test.

27 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Do you realize that we only had one (1) drive for a TD last night?  All other scores were scored or set up by Special Teams or Defense creating a turnover giving the Offense a short field.  That is unreal!!  Come on Gus!!!  You are better than that, I think. 

True...but you do have to consider that those turnover opportunities took away drive opportunities or made the resulting drives quite short which affects the total yardage of the game and time of possession....and puts the D right back on the field.    But...  I recall last season that bama had some ungodly number of pick 6s or returned fumbles for TDs …..so JMO but you have to love those zero or three play drives that show up on the scoreboard. 

As for pace of play.....seems to me that since Chip took over and calling from booth..,  we have really been slow getting the play in to the QB...not sure how many people the decision has to go through on the way to JS but the days of 75 plays seems to be far in the rear view mirror.  

Like or not, when Gus was calling plays, he usually had something ready to go with plenty of time.   Now, even with the option to change the play at the line, JS rarely gets a play with enough time left on the clock for him to do anything but run what has been called.  

Play calling is hugely inefficient. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

True...but you do have to consider that those turnover opportunities took away drive opportunities or made the resulting drives quite short which affects the total yardage of the game and time of possession....and puts the D right back on the field.    But...  I recall last season that bama had some ungodly number of pick 6s or returned fumbles for TDs …..so JMO but you have to love those zero or three play drives that show up on the scoreboard. 

As for pace of play.....seems to me that since Chip took over and calling from the play box,  we have really been slow getting the play in to the QB...not sure how many people the decision has to go through on the way to JS but the days of 75 plays seems to be far in the rear view mirror.  

Like or not, when Gus was calling plays, he usually had something ready to go with plenty of time.   Now, even with the option to change the play at the line, JS rarely gets a play with enough time left on the clock for him to do anything but run what has been called.  

Play calling is hugely inefficient. 

They're stalling. Probably resting the D or trimming snap numbers to guard against injuries, something over-thunk like that. It's identical to when we see MW in q4 run 2 plays every minute and a half. 

need quick, predetermined slants and drag routes to loosen things up. we were doing 2-4 per game earlier. no time to stand back a scan the field for a five yard pass. this was the worse game we have played in years.

3 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

They're stalling. Probably resting the D or trimming snap numbers to guard against injuries, something over-thunk like that. It's identical to when we see MW in q4 run 2 plays every minute and a half. 

I am good to milk the clock when we have a big lead...but our "milking" starts right out of the gate and again, if JS gets the play with 8 seconds left, he does not have time to assess, then consider alternatives and change the play.    Gotta give him more time to do that if we want the system to work. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I am good to milk the clock when we have a big lead...but our "milking" starts right out of the gate and again, if JS gets the play with 8 seconds left, he does not have time to assess, then consider alternatives and change the play.    Gotta give him more time to do that if we want the system to work. 

Supposedly, Stidham was going to be given freedom to change plays at the line this year.  Gus has never given a QB that freedom other than the read option that Cam and Nick ran so well.  Maybe the delays are to prevent Stidham from actually changing the plays. 

Just now, around4ever said:

Supposedly, Stidham was going to be given freedom to change plays at the line this year.  Gus has never given a QB that freedom other than the read option that Cam and Nick ran so well.  Maybe the delays are to prevent Stidham from actually changing the plays. 

Whether deliberate or not, is seems to be having that effect....and worse still,  the slow play calling process has caused us to waste a number of time outs this season when the play was not in... or the right players on the field.  

An over-simplified observation:

Gus thinks too much and comes up with complicated, unnecessary game plans.  

Chip prob knows how to run an O, but has to keep the boss happy.

The result is a complicated strategy from Gus, Chip is trying to incorp that mess into his "gameplan" and Stidham is getting plays without enough time to make any reads.   He didn't have to do that at Baylor, so this is new to him.  

The result: too many moving parts, horrible OL protection and an inconsistent run game (I don't know why).  Spells a mess of a season if the brain trust doesn't simplify this and start playing SEC football.  

He has taken way too many hits already this season - some were his fault for holding onto the ball, some were OL mistakes, and some were designed QB runs. Coaches need to scrap the designed runs and figure out some quicker pass plays to reduce the number of shots he takes. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already a  little banged up. If not, he will be soon enough if we stay the course with this playbook. 

The oline isn’t the main problem for JS it’s a scapegoat. When he holds on to the ball to long that means the protection held up. He scrambles out of the pocket when it’s not necessary that may give the illusion he’s under distress? Sometimes yes it is the oline but it not as much in them as we make it out to be.

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I think there are a combination of things.  Stidham has never had an opportunity to get in a rhythm this season and hasn't been as sharp.  The offensive line getting destroyed up the middle on nearly every passing. play never allows him to set and step into a throw.  And another thing is as fans we might be overreacting. 

He was 7-11 last night in the first half.  Missed his 1st pass to Slayton, looked like a bad throw assuming Slayton was where he was suppose to be.  Missed 2nd pass to Whitlow was ugly.  3rd pass deep in corner of end zone, tough pass, defensive holding was obvious.  Only other incompletion is Schwartz drop.

Second half Stidham 8/11.  Missed on a long one to Slayton, sure JS will say he should have hit him, was also his first pass thrown over 10 yards the entire game in the 3rd quarter.  Next pass incomplete.  Last incompletion just off Schwartz's fingertips after he was held slowing him down, can't fault Stidham.

So I would say he has 3 throws he wants back of all the throws last night.  Many mention guys being open here and there and he missed them, after watching the game with limited camera views I saw guys open but not possible to make the throw or they flashed open before the slow developing first read happened.

Snap count, after how many years you think Gus might want to make some adjustments.

Offensive line, nice guys that you would want to date your daughter, but sure as heck not go to a fight with.  No nasty, no explosion, no leadership.

WR hard to tell when I think 16 of 22 pass plays were screens passes

Coaches job to put QB/offense in situations to succeed

For the forever time in his HC career here, we are a quarter of the way through the season and we still have no offensive identity.

I Agree with most of your post and would like to add a couple of observations.

I think Stidham also feels some pressure on being a productive passer with all the hype of him being the 1st or 2nd QB taken in the NFL draft. So he seems gunshy, and even though you mentioned he would like to have 3 throws back, he also left the pocket too soon at times with a little pressure but not the kind that should make him give up on the play. He also holds the ball too long. I've noticed he waits UNTIL the WR is open before he wants to throw it. If its a sit down route, he seems fine with, but those over 10 yards, as the WR is moving, he doesnt throw and let the WR go get the ball.

I was watching the game, and I saw one pass play called on a 3rd down, that Stidham, held the ball too long, then scrambled and was sacked. They showed Lindsey in the coaches box, throwing up his hands, and then rubbing his face, so frustrated. I think it was bc he saw wide open WRs, but Stidham wouldnt pull the trigger. 

So timing and confidence seems to be the issue. And don't forget. We had a RFR start at center for the first time. We had to replace 3 or 4 starters on the OL. We have ALL but 1 RB as a FR playing, and now we have true FR playing critical spots in WR. 

8 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I think he doesn't trust his O-line, and it's messing with his head. 

This is what I'm thinking.  Not to make light of genuine PTSD but I believe Stidham is always in fear of what's going to happen when the ball snaps.  He's a constant deer in the headlights almost every play.

Whether he has pressure or no pressure he LOOKS like he's under pressure and passes like there's a defender in his face....even when not.  

I still think Gus is running the 2013 style Offense but without the QB run option reads.  Which is simply a high school Offense with the most basic of handoffs and pass routes.  This O is a QB killer and the bad OLine is only making it worse.

Baker Mayfield would have fared no better in this offense.

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I Agree with most of your post and would like to add a couple of observations.

I think Stidham also feels some pressure on being a productive passer with all the hype of him being the 1st or 2nd QB taken in the NFL draft. So he seems gunshy, and even though you mentioned he would like to have 3 throws back, he also left the pocket too soon at times with a little pressure but not the kind that should make him give up on the play. He also holds the ball too long. I've noticed he waits UNTIL the WR is open before he wants to throw it. If its a sit down route, he seems fine with, but those over 10 yards, as the WR is moving, he doesnt throw and let the WR go get the ball.

I was watching the game, and I saw one pass play called on a 3rd down, that Stidham, held the ball too long, then scrambled and was sacked. They showed Lindsey in the coaches box, throwing up his hands, and then rubbing his face, so frustrated. I think it was bc he saw wide open WRs, but Stidham wouldnt pull the trigger. 

So timing and confidence seems to be the issue. And don't forget. We had a RFR start at center for the first time. We had to replace 3 or 4 starters on the OL. We have ALL but 1 RB as a FR playing, and now we have true FR playing critical spots in WR. 

Saw that too, I also wonder if how Gus preaches about turnovers that he now hesitates about tighter throws.

18 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

This is what I'm thinking.  Not to make light of genuine PTSD but I believe Stidham is always in fear of what's going to happen when the ball snaps.  He's a constant deer in the headlights almost every play.

Whether he has pressure or no pressure he LOOKS like he's under pressure and passes like there's a defender in his face....even when not.  

I still think Gus is running the 2013 style Offense but without the QB run option reads.  Which is simply a high school Offense with the most basic of handoffs and pass routes.  This O is a QB killer and the bad OLine is only making it worse.

Baker Mayfield would have fared no better in this offense.

Let's not get carried away

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I think there are a combination of things.  Stidham has never had an opportunity to get in a rhythm this season and hasn't been as sharp.  The offensive line getting destroyed up the middle on nearly every passing. play never allows him to set and step into a throw.  And another thing is as fans we might be overreacting. 

He was 7-11 last night in the first half.  Missed his 1st pass to Slayton, looked like a bad throw assuming Slayton was where he was suppose to be.  Missed 2nd pass to Whitlow was ugly.  3rd pass deep in corner of end zone, tough pass, defensive holding was obvious.  Only other incompletion is Schwartz drop.

Second half Stidham 8/11.  Missed on a long one to Slayton, sure JS will say he should have hit him, was also his first pass thrown over 10 yards the entire game in the 3rd quarter.  Next pass incomplete.  Last incompletion just off Schwartz's fingertips after he was held slowing him down, can't fault Stidham.

So I would say he has 3 throws he wants back of all the throws last night.  Many mention guys being open here and there and he missed them, after watching the game with limited camera views I saw guys open but not possible to make the throw or they flashed open before the slow developing first read happened.

Snap count, after how many years you think Gus might want to make some adjustments.

Offensive line, nice guys that you would want to date your daughter, but sure as heck not go to a fight with.  No nasty, no explosion, no leadership.

WR hard to tell when I think 16 of 22 pass plays were screens passes

Coaches job to put QB/offense in situations to succeed

For the forever time in his HC career here, we are a quarter of the way through the season and we still have no offensive identity.

i think we play hard on oline but it only takes oen guy to whiff on a block to make the whole oline look bad. i just do not agree we have no toughness. and the leadership thing should come around once we settle on who is playing where. i will never say our guys are too nice as i believe that to be unfair and not very accurate. most experts say it takes time for a line to jell and i am sure that is hard to do when you keep changing the pieces around.

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Let's not get carried away

I believe Stids could be everything Mayfield was in the right Offense.

Gus and Chip, but mainly Gus is holding Jarrett back. Gus is not allowing Jarrett to change the play if needed when he gets up to the line. Stadium and out RB's are getting killed before they get close to the line.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I like the rapport we're building. You're one of the guys on here I really like and I value your opinions......so as a friend, don't write this on a public forum again

11 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I think he doesn't trust his O-line, and it's messing with his head. 

That's my theory, too.  That and his fiancé keeps calling him to ask about China patterns, seating charts, and cake tastings.  ???

47 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I like the rapport we're building. You're one of the guys on here I really like and I value your opinions......so as a friend, don't write this on a public forum again

I appreciate it Cole, I'm touched.  Not in the head, though it may seem that way to you, I guess.

Seriously, Stids may or may not have ever turned out great in Oklahoma's Offense but I don't believe Baker Mayfield would have been the QB he turned out to be in THIS offense.

Just my opinion.  Stidham was much better as a freshman under Briles than he is now under Gus/Chip.

I just don't think it's overly fair to judge any QB (JJ, SW, JF3, MW, JS) who plays in this watered down Gus Offense that they seem to be running the last 3-4 years.

I just think Gus is still forcing square pegs into round holes and mixing in High School on top.

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Stids is just a step faster than me......which contributes to his problem.....trying to scramble and  just does not have the wheels to make it work against SEC defensives . 

Archived