Stidham's Accuracy

RunInRed

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Stids is just a step faster than me......which contributes to his problem.....trying to scramble and  just does not have the wheels to make it work against SEC defensives . 

I guess my point is Mayfield ran because he wanted to, was designed to, etc.  Stids is running because he has to or is so gun-shy because of the lack of blocking or imagination in play design, that he THINKS he has to.

Last night there was no imagination, tons of frustration, lack of positive fire...only angry outburst.  2 offensive players (starters) left the team in the last week... 

I have a tin-foil hat on today.  I think there's something wrong with the offense and it ain't simply Jarred Stidham sucks or even the offensive line sucks.

Something deeper is amiss.  A mean how do you excuse not putting Shivers in until late in the fourth only to run him up the gut like he's a Fullback?  The whole offensive game just didn't make any sense.

On a positive note... Ryan Davis for Heisman!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I appreciate it Cole, I'm touched.  Not in the head, though it may seem that way to you, I guess.

Seriously, Stids may or may not have ever turned out great in Oklahoma's Offense but I don't believe Baker Mayfield would have been the QB he turned out to be in THIS offense.

Just my opinion.  Stidham was much better as a freshman under Briles than he is now under Gus/Chip.

I just don't think it's overly fair to judge any QB (JJ, SW, JF3, MW, JS) who plays in this watered down Gus Offense that they seem to be running the last 3-4 years.

I just think Gus is still forcing square pegs into round holes and mixing in High School on top.

Man.....the statement about switch roles, Baker wouldn't be that good here...damn that's good stuff....you win this one sir......but I'll be back. You can't win them all

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Something deeper is amiss.  A mean how do you excuse not putting Shivers in until late in the fourth only to run him up the gut like he's a Fullback?  The whole offensive game just didn't make any sense.

Yep hard to explain though we only had about 40 rushing plays.. BUT....looked like the coaches were wanting  Kam to have a good day.....the result in my view at least….. just showed why he is now #2 and headed for #3. 

I think JS needs better QB coaching is his main problem. He was better when he got here than he is now and that tells me he is getting bad coaching. We need a real SEC proven OC that is also a good QB coach if we are going to ever be a passing team of any kind with Gus as our head coach.

1 minute ago, kd4au said:

I think JS needs better QB coaching is his main problem. He was better when he got here than he is now and that tells me he is getting bad coaching. We need a real SEC proven OC that is also a good QB coach if we are going to ever be a passing team of any kind with Gus as our head coach.

Why?  Gus is the best OC and QB coach in the conference.  

7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Why?  Gus is the best OC and QB coach in the conference.  

You know I thought Gus was a good OC but I've never thought he was a good QB coach.

1 minute ago, kd4au said:

You know I thought Gus was a good OC but I've never thought he was a good QB coach.

He was a good OC until the defenses caught up with him.  His adjustments, when and if he makes any, don't work. 

10 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I Agree with most of your post and would like to add a couple of observations.

I think Stidham also feels some pressure on being a productive passer with all the hype of him being the 1st or 2nd QB taken in the NFL draft. So he seems gunshy, and even though you mentioned he would like to have 3 throws back, he also left the pocket too soon at times with a little pressure but not the kind that should make him give up on the play. He also holds the ball too long. I've noticed he waits UNTIL the WR is open before he wants to throw it. If its a sit down route, he seems fine with, but those over 10 yards, as the WR is moving, he doesnt throw and let the WR go get the ball.

I was watching the game, and I saw one pass play called on a 3rd down, that Stidham, held the ball too long, then scrambled and was sacked. They showed Lindsey in the coaches box, throwing up his hands, and then rubbing his face, so frustrated. I think it was bc he saw wide open WRs, but Stidham wouldnt pull the trigger. 

So timing and confidence seems to be the issue. And don't forget. We had a RFR start at center for the first time. We had to replace 3 or 4 starters on the OL. We have ALL but 1 RB as a FR playing, and now we have true FR playing critical spots in WR. 

I think the two interceptions that Stidham threw in the Washington game got into his head and he is now very reluctant to pull the trigger and thus causing him not to throw the ball when he should. He sure is a different QB than he was last year. It is glaring to me. Another factor is  Gus hates turnovers, but who doesn't. I think all this plays into what Stidham's  problem is and I hope he overcomes it or it's going to be a long season. JMO

WDE

I'm in no way saying the season's shortcomings are on Stidz but it's apparent the shakiness at OL has messed with his game. Even his screen passes aren't as accurate as last year. Ryan Davis is having to jump a little to his right or left to catch the screens whereas last year JS was hitting him on the money making RD's job of getting up-field much easier.

Then of course those beautiful bombs Stidz threw last year have been off this season. Did I read on here he didn't spent much time in AU during the off-season and was in TX instead? With so many new and young players out there that may be hurting us a little bit too.

There was a rumor that he was dealing with a back issue to start fall camp. IMO he’s looked a good bit slower and less quick this year. Plus his accuracy since game one just hasn’t been the same. I’m wondering if he’s dealing with some type of nagging injury. 

1 minute ago, boomstick said:

There was a rumor that he was dealing with a back issue to start fall camp. IMO he’s looked a good bit slower and less quick this year. Plus his accuracy since game one just hasn’t been the same. I’m wondering if he’s dealing with some type of nagging injury. 

Good point about his back. Back injuries are no joke -- not to mention he hasn't been able to really settle in. Everything is working together to make our offense look like it's stuck in the mud

Go back and watch the game. Something is off in his throws and early on it had nothing to do with the OL. EARLY in the game we were blocking well and he was just not good. 

1st drive - score. yay!!!!

2nd drive, 3rd and 10, he had plenty of time to throw and missed a wide open receiver by about 2 yards. We had to punt. 

3rd drive, 3rd and 3, checked down to boobie and made a bad pass. It was a 4 yard pass and he missed JW to where he could not catch it. We had to punt. This is concerning. 

If he completes those passes we are off and running and probably blow this game open early. 

Something is wrong with his throws. Maybe he really is hurt. 

23 hours ago, kd4au said:

If I’m not mistaken JS worked out with professional qb coach during the summer. Did it help?

5 hours ago, creed said:

If I’m not mistaken JS worked out with professional qb coach during the summer. Did it help?

If he did it doesn't look like it helped.

He was already gun shy last year and now it’s even worse. Something is up , I think he has lost a bunch of confidence. I just got around to watching game on TV. 3rd quarter around 2:17 mark, 1 and 10 we got 4 wideouts . Inside guy are running a hitch , outside guys are running curls . 3 step drop, Stidham has time , pump fakes and bring ball down  and scrambles. Now he does get out of it. WR worked back to him which gave a 2 yard completion but something is up. A very average college Qb should make this throw on time but Stidham almost seems afraid of throwing a bad ball. Here is a picture , right side hitch already open , right side curl is going to be wide open with that cushion . Maybe he is just scared to get hit07E1CC6A-5210-4ECA-B4BF-EF5E90EF656F.jpeg cause Oline has underachieved , or a lot of those bad throws are starting to kill his confidence. 

7 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

Inside guy are running a hitch , outside guys are running curls . 3 step drop, Stidham has time , pump fakes and bring ball down  and scrambles.

He has definitely been late delivering the ball on timing routes.  BUT, in his defense our receivers NEVER EVER work back to the ball, which allows a hard breaking DB time to break up the pass or jump the route for an INT as on the first play at LSU.  Although that particular play vs LSU looked like the receiver and QB weren't on the same page with the route/break.

Greg McElroy posted this today. Something is definitely off. Im a Stidham fan, but we don’t have much margin for error because of the deficiencies in other parts of the offense. We need him to play like the best player on the offensive side of the ball, which I think he is and should be. We can’t afford the hesitation, the second guessing, indecisiveness. Stidham has to be the guy, and he has to figure out a way to become that guy because he’s not that right now.

42 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

He has definitely been late delivering the ball on timing routes.  BUT, in his defense our receivers NEVER EVER work back to the ball, which allows a hard breaking DB time to break up the pass or jump the route for an INT as on the first play at LSU.  Although that particular play vs LSU looked like the receiver and QB weren't on the same page with the route/break.

I would normally agree , they turn into blockers once he pulls it down. In this case after he pull it down they worked to him to get a short completion. In this particular play , the WR wouldn’t even have to work back to ball . THis is very open for short yardage timing throws. Outside guy still has his hips turned while our outside guy is about to be out of his route . Inside guy , the defender had just planted to work , still an easy throw to outside shoulder of that receiver. Which is where he should have thrown the ball in the LSU game on that pick . He just didn’t make a good throw , or thought WR was opening to inside . As a whole I could see maybe giving him defense but not on this play.

also pay attention to Jarrett in this picture . His timing is good , ball is about to leave hand but then pulls it down .  

4 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

His timing is good , ball is about to leave hand but then pulls it down .

No doubt I agree with you that he is and has been late on timing throws.  I just think he doesn't trust the receivers to come and get it if the DB is going to be close, and maybe he's not confident in his accuracy either...like you said throwing to the outside shoulder.  I dunno, but it's not working or looking good.

3 minutes ago, Jones Field said:

No coach, but that looks like a poor route combo form that sill shot. 4 guys all in the same area and the 5th is close as well. Maybe it was a down/distance thing. Either way, he is not playing well. 

I can’t stand a lot of our route combination . You are right a lot of these routes are same and bunched . In this situation I love it . Defense is giving a ton of cushion presnap , it was 1st and 10. Take your pick , you want the easy 5 yard completion, or easy 10 yard completion to outside guy . This doesn’t include Yac yards which they would have gotten with the amount of cushion they gave . 

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

No doubt I agree with you that he is and has been late on timing throws.  I just think he doesn't trust the receivers to come and get it if the DB is going to be close, and maybe he's not confident in his accuracy either...like you said throwing to the outside shoulder.  I dunno, but it's not working or looking good.

We can all agree , something needs to be fixed ... fast haha 

If he doesn't start anticipating the open receiver or at least hit the open receiver, he will be selling insurance or cars in a year.   At best on someone's practice squad.   

Nothing against sales, it's just not what he is dreaming of today.  

Ol Gus will get this figured out (just hope it is before January).  

Archived