Pump The Brakes!

AUFriction

Just now, AU64 said:

I think you under rate this team...JMO

I think we are in some serious trouble down the stretch unless we see major changes.  I'd wager a lunch bet on that sometime, but you are in NC and I'm in TN. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I think we are in some serious trouble down the stretch unless we see major changes.  I'd wager a lunch bet on that sometime, but you are in NC and I'm in TN. 

I don't deny the trouble....got two more top 5 teams.....ahead of us...at a minimum.  But that does not diminish the capability of the team.  Other than bama, and probably UGA (road games) there is only one non-SEC team that I think is our equal.....Ohio State....and I admit that I don't think AU is playing it's best ball yet. 

OOPs..forgot Clemson...:)

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Other than bama, and probably UGA (road games) there is only one non-SEC team that I think is our equal.....Ohio State....and I admit that I don't think AU is playing it's best ball yet. 

I'm certainly not with you there from what I've seen on the field.  Clemson is significantly better BTW.  I'd say we are slightly better than a middle of the pack SEC team at the moment, and trending down. I think we could take Nebraska though.

Lunch and a beer on me next time you are in Nashvegas if the only games we drop from here on out are UGA and Bama, and we are remotely competitive in those games. 

Ok so I was not really a business major, but I thought we paid Gus $49 million to not have these issues?  Or did we pay him $49 million for  something else?

11 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Ok so I was not really a business major, but I thought we paid Gus $49 million to not have these issues?  Or did we pay him $49 million for  something else?

Again, there’s a difference between being upset about the offense and a lot of what I’m seeing on this forum. There are people saying that Stidham is a bust. There are people saying that Kam Martin is a bust. There are people saying Grimes is a bust. There are people calling for Gus’s job. There are people acting like our team is falling apart.

I’m not happy with where our offense is. While I believe it will be straightened out, we should be playing better on offense at this point in the season. I’m not happy that our (should be) future first round QB is being neutralized because our offense is struggling. In all, the offensive struggles are frustrating. 

However, we are 3-1 (and should be 4-0 if not for 2 bad pass interference calls), and are still ranked in the top 10. If we win out, we’ll be in the playoff. If we happen to lose more games or if the offense doesn’t make strides forward between now and amen corner, okay. Hit the panick button. But Auburn fans are supposed to be some of the most supportive and loyal fans. Yet it seems like many folks are way too angry over circumstances that most fan bases would be happy to be in.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I don't deny the trouble....got two more top 5 teams.....ahead of us...at a minimum.  But that does not diminish the capability of the team.  Other than bama, and probably UGA (road games) there is only one non-SEC team that I think is our equal.....Ohio State....and I admit that I don't think AU is playing it's best ball yet. 

OOPs..forgot Clemson...:)

Oklahoma.

Penn State.

I wouldn't want a rematch with Washington.

Stanford.

WVU.

I could go on.

7 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Again, there’s a difference between being upset about the offense and a lot of what I’m seeing on this forum. There are people saying that Stidham is a bust. There are people saying that Kam Martin is a bust. There are people saying Grimes is a bust. There are people calling for Gus’s job. There are people acting like our team is falling apart.

I’m not happy with where our offense is. While I believe it will be straightened out, we should be playing better on offense at this point in the season. I’m not happy that our (should be) future first round QB is being neutralized because our offense is struggling. In all, the offensive struggles are frustrating. 

However, we are 3-1 (and should be 4-0 if not for 2 bad pass interference calls), and are still ranked in the top 10. If we win out, we’ll be in the playoff. If we happen to lose more games or if the offense doesn’t make strides forward between now and amen corner, okay. Hit the panick button. But Auburn fans are supposed to be some of the most supportive and loyal fans. Yet it seems like many folks are way too angry over circumstances that most fan bases would be happy to be in.

Good points but seems that lots of folks posting here come with a negative view right from the start....or perhaps what I consider an over-elevated set of expectations. 

Guess maybe my more tolerant tone comes from being any AU fan for 50+ years and living through all the ups and downs such that our recent "problem" years look pretty good compared to the many real downers l that I have witnessed in the past where we would have a few good seasons and then disappear from the top 20 for a while, and repeat that performance again a few years later, often under a different coach. . As that books noted..."these are the best of times and the worst of times"  ...mostly made that way by our neighbors across the state.

Just now, selias said:

Oklahoma.

Penn State.

I wouldn't want a rematch with Washington.

Stanford.

WVU.

I could go on.

Wait...Oklahoma barely beat Army in OT and Penn State also slipped by App State in OT.....maybe you missed those...and of course Ok and PSU have not even played a top ten ...or maybe top 20 team yet.

Just thinking that there are not many good reference points out there yet...

Just now, AU64 said:

Wait...Oklahoma barely beat Army in OT and Penn State also slipped by App State in OT.....maybe you missed those...and of course Ok and PSU have not even played a top ten ...or maybe top 20 team yet.

Just thinking that there are not many good reference points out there yet...

Those option teams almost always get someone because pretty much nobody practices against it anymore. App State is a quality program, they aren't FCS anymore

1 minute ago, selias said:

Those option teams almost always get someone because pretty much nobody practices against it anymore. App State is a quality program, they aren't FCS anymore

Oklahoma would boat race this team . Yesterday was their wake up call to not overlook opponents . Let me tell you , their fan base is not happy with that performance. In fact their fan base still has a bad taste in their mouth after losing in the PLAYOFFS. And guess what? We should not be okay with the performance displayed on the offensive end either. If you can’t handle criticism then I recommend you spend your days with your family away from the forums.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Oklahoma would boat race this team . Yesterday was their wake up call to not overlook opponents . Let me tell you , their fan base is not happy with that performance. In fact their fan base still has a bad taste in their mouth after losing in the PLAYOFFS. And guess what? We should not be okay with the performance displayed on the offensive end either. If you can’t handle criticism then I recommend you spend your days with your family away from the forums.

It's AU64, it appears he's fine with just a reasonably nice bowl every year with a New Year's 6 sprinkled in occasionally.

And I will tell you this, both army and app state would beat Arkansas. That’s how bad Arkansas is. You think this is bad? Go look at their forum. Army had the ball for 44 minutes against OU. They ran efficiently and timely. They had a great game plan that almost worked. OU will have trouble dealing with teams who can successfully run the ball on the ground. Guess what? We can’t run the ball! So what do you think would happen if we faced OU?

12 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t think most fans have thrown in the towel, but yes, there should be some serious concern as to why we couldn’t generate offense against a very bad Arkansas team. That was a bad team. They might not win a single sec game. That is a huge concern. It’s a lot more than just the offensive line. 

You skipped 2015...why? That is the last time we got outgained by an opponent who we were a high favorite to win against which was Jacksonville state.

So no, we shouldn’t throw in the towel, but there should be a lot of concern on the offensive end right now. It’s one thing to have abysmal performances against Clemson, UGA, etc. There is absolutely no reason that this Arkansas team should’ve outgained us tonight. They averaged more rushing yards than we did. That’s not good. 

Should be a huge huge concern about the offense at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Should be a huge huge concern about the offense at the moment. 

Yep . We were warned about the offensive line woes and a lot of people including myself brushed it off. It has surely reared it’s ugly head, but that is reality. I imagine many people laughed and dismissed Noah when he was saying prepare for a flood. Today is the sabbath so it applies.

What about "slam on the brakes". The ineptness just continues year after year, with a few exceptions along the way. I laughed when he said they would make "adjustments" at halftime. He can't adjust or has nothing to adjust to.

5 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

What's the problem?.........just treat him to some TN barbecue?............jk........in my opinion there is truth in what you both say.

If we lose less than four games this year I will tip my hat to Gus for figuring something out or to Steele for having the defense cover up our idiotic offensive woes. Truthfully I think we may end up losing five which would be a major disappointment but we’re getting accustomed to that feeling now.  Yep, we beat our rivals last year...and then crapped the bed twice in ATL...yep, we beat UW this year....and then crapped the bed at home against LSU....Its been a roller coaster since we crapped the bed in the second half of he FSU game...I don’t see it ending anytime soon.  

You know, I get just as mad as the next fan with the team.  Who knows what will happen. I hope this time next week we will be in a better frame of mind with a nice win and some nice numbers. Two weeks from now I hope we will have come away with a nice win in Starkville then a nice finish with UT.  If we are 6-1 after the UT game, I think a lot of nerves will be soothed if we are 6-1 at that time. ? 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Good points but seems that lots of folks posting here come with a negative view right from the start....or perhaps what I consider an over-elevated set of expectations. 

Guess maybe my more tolerant tone comes from being any AU fan for 50+ years and living through all the ups and downs such that our recent "problem" years look pretty good compared to the many real downers l that I have witnessed in the past where we would have a few good seasons and then disappear from the top 20 for a while, and repeat that performance again a few years later, often under a different coach. . As that books noted..."these are the best of times and the worst of times"  ...mostly made that way by our neighbors across the state.

“over-elevated set of expectations.“ ... here it is again....how dare we poor little ol Auburn folk have high expectations....?

One thing all the irrationals are overlooking is that we may have the best defense in the country. We WILL be in every game we play thanks to them.

Don't write this team out of the playoffs yet. An offense always has a lot better chance of finding a rhythm or identity midseason than a defense does. 

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

One thing all the irrationals are overlooking is that we may have the best defense in the country. We WILL be in every game we play thanks to them.

Don't write this team out of the playoffs yet. An offense always has a lot better chance of finding a rhythm or identity midseason than a defense does. 

If this team makes the playoffs I’ll come mow your lawn and grill you some steaks...

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

This is kind of where I was going with my original post.

I’m not saying we will improve, but saying that we’ve been here before and seen significant mid season improvement. The difference with this team is that we have a good QB, and an elite defense. Those two things will keep us in every game. If we can even find a little improvement offensively, we will be a very good team.

Archived