Arkansas Game Report Card

StatTiger

I'd like to see the return of the Malzahn offense. Everyone that hated on it got the change they wanted. Which reminds me. Be careful of what you ask for...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

12 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I'd like to see the return of the Malzahn offense. Everyone that hated on it got the change they wanted. Which reminds me. Be careful of what you ask for...

What do you mean ? 

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

How do you interpret @CleCoTiger‘s statement? Not being combative. 

uninformed.

Lipstick on a pig as they say.  There is no doubt at all this is Gus' offense, Chip just got to put some really subtle lipstick on it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Tonight was the most soulless unimaginative effort I’ve seen from both the players and coaches on offense. Their has to be something going on behind the scenes. We looked much better against Washington.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The whole thing on offense just looks inept right now.  O line is awful.  Passing game is totally out of sync.  Stidham ends up in fetal position about half the time and it is getting in his head.  He can’t even hit open guys any more.  Boobie, Ryan Davis and Schwartz are about the only bright spots.  Just a horrible coaching job all around  on offense.  If it weren’t for the D this team would be in big trouble.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Don't recall seeing Stove or Hastings.....still recovering ???

Thank goodness for D and ST. 

IMO, this isn't far enough away from Malzahn's offense.  It needs to evolve. It has been stagnant for a few years now, and the D's are teeing off.  They know the cues, the blocking schemes, the routes, the tendencies, etc... Gus is just too stubborn to change. 

Kentucky would have beaten us by 2-3 scores last night.

• Like 3

Great job by the D, as we've come to expect.

Outstanding job by special teams, especially in the return game. How long before Davis returns a punt for a TD? I'll be shocked if he doesn't get at least one this season, probably more. I'm anxious for Carlson and his battery to find their groove. He's got the leg talent; just needs to establish consistency.

Offense looked the worst I've seen them all season. Changes on the o-line -- did they work at all?!? Don't expect Stidham to continue missing on all the deep balls, but I'm concerned that we won't find a quick fix for the running game woes.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Thank goodness for D and ST. 

IMO, this isn't far enough away from Malzahn's offense.  It needs to evolve. It has been stagnant for a few years now, and the D's are teeing off.  They know the cues, the blocking schemes, the routes, the tendencies, etc... Gus is just too stubborn to change. 

Kentucky would have beaten us by 2-3 scores last night.

Thank you!!  Exactly what I have been saying. 

• Like 1

Good to beat the Arky’s of the world I guess. Can’t pull up this crap with the big boys though. Gotta couple L’s coming our way I’m afraid. 

8 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Can’t do a face plant without explanation. We’ve had the Malzhan offense since he arrived. He doesn’t have the horses to run the 2010 or 2013 offense so he revert to his 2011 OC style and the 2015, 2016 HC style.

Last night’s offensive showing was disappointing in that it failed the eyeball test, no matter who was running the show.

• Like 1

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

It all starts up front and our O-line is just plain bad. We can't throw deep to back the defense up because we can't block well enough, JS doesn't have time for the route to develop. We can't run the ball either because the O-line can't open up any holes for the backs. Until the O-line is fixed the offense will struggle and I don't see how it's going to get fixed. I had high hopes that JB could fix the mess Hand left, but it's looking like we just don't have the players. It also looks as if the coaches don't know the  identity of this team and if they want to be a passing team or running team or how to use the talent they have. I'm just very depressed over what I've seen from the offense so far this season. On the bright side what about that DEFENSE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

The stat's on Stidham prove out what I thought ... underwhelming start to the season ...

He has a whole different attitude. Last year he was modest and spoke of his need to get better. After the game last week and this week he was like “who cares”. So where is this new attitude coming from. I really wish now he would have just gone on to the pros. I’m sure by year’s end he will wish he had too. 

There was a moment that stood out for me and I think the announcers even mentioned it. Fourth quarter, around 5-6 minutes left, and the defense had a bunch of younger guys in and Steele was continuing to call his gameplan and sending blitzes. He was allowing his younger players to get actual, meaningful game time experience. Not just go out there and coast on the large win. On offense, when we have a lead, the only things we do are run up the middle twice, throw a screen on third and long, and then punt the ball. Players can't become better if they don't get the experience that they need. With how awful this offense is, we should never just go out there and try not to lose rather than win the game.

• Like 2

From where we sat in the stands, you could just see Studham's frustration.  He has a lack of trust in the O-line, that's apparent.  3 or 4 of the O-line are playing hurt and that doesn't help.  Is there no depth there? Gus absolutely knows it is the O-line, because in the after game interview, he refused to even talk about them.  He's not going to call anyone out in public, which is good, I guess.  

Question, is Lindsey in the booth calling plays? Is that why there was a delay getting them a few times?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Oh, contraire...Id LOVE to see the OC Gus. The HC Gus offense isn't a 'Gus offense.'

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

From where we sat in the stands, you could just see Studham's frustration.  He has a lack of trust in the O-line, that's apparent.  3 or 4 of the O-line are playing hurt and that doesn't help.  Is there no depth there? Gus absolutely knows it is the O-line, because in the after game interview, he refused to even talk about them.  He's not going to call anyone out in public, which is good, I guess.  

Question, is Lindsey in the booth calling plays? Is that why there was a delay getting them a few times?

What I saw on last night’s broadcast was Gus on the headset having an animated conversation with someone while we were on offense.