Couple questions

NorthGATiger

Do you think that last night was a game where Gus kept everything as watered down as possible against the worst Arkansas team ever?  

If we really wanted to we would have routes where JS threw the ball before the WR was actually open in order to beat the pass rush.  Gus stated in his halftime interview that we had to come out in the 2nd half and run the football.  We came out on our 1st possession and called 3 straight pass plays.  Last night looked like we let someone call plays just for fun.  I agree that JS does not have a great O-Line in front of him but he has got to start throwing the ball and letting his WRs make plays.  Everyone in the country can see WR's open downfield on TV while JS is too gun shy to let it go unless they have beat their man by two yards.  If you know how to read a defense, and read the safety pre snap then it is not that hard to know pre snap where during their routes that your WR's will be open and which ones to look for.  In my opinion we have dumbed the QB's down by making them look to the sideline to get the play once the defense is set instead of letting our QB's see it for themselves and realize where the ball needs to go. 

I also think Gus has drummed into the QB's heads the idea of not turning the ball over so much that Stidham has been reluctant to let it fly at times and chooses to take the sack, run it out of bounds or throw it away instead of looking downfield, especially in the middle of the field. He tends to look for the guys at the sidelines rather.

Something is just way off and we are not coaching or calling plays that are fundamental football.  The announcers are spending an incredible amount of time pointing it out.  Either Gus is a brilliant strategist on another level or he has no understanding of the offensive game of football outside of his system.  When you are playing an overmatched opponent like Arkansas there is always something to call to make the defense pay for what they are doing.  Gus just seems to call the next play in his book regardless of what the defense is doing.  He has absolutely zero in game adjustments other than to turn to page 3 of his 2 page playbook.

20 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Do you think that last night was a game where Gus kept everything as watered down as possible against the worst Arkansas team ever?  

If we really wanted to we would have routes where JS threw the ball before the WR was actually open in order to beat the pass rush.  Gus stated in his halftime interview that we had to come out in the 2nd half and run the football.  We came out on our 1st possession and called 3 straight pass plays.  Last night looked like we let someone call plays just for fun.  I agree that JS does not have a great O-Line in front of him but he has got to start throwing the ball and letting his WRs make plays.  Everyone in the country can see WR's open downfield on TV while JS is too gun shy to let it go unless they have beat their man by two yards.  If you know how to read a defense, and read the safety pre snap then it is not that hard to know pre snap where during their routes that your WR's will be open and which ones to look for.  In my opinion we have dumbed the QB's down by making them look to the sideline to get the play once the defense is set instead of letting our QB's see it for themselves and realize where the ball needs to go. 

I think we played pretty vanilla last night but not because of the opponent but because of our lack of execution so far on the season.  You have to find a way to consistently move the ball and it's all over the offense.  Missed blocks, missed reads on coverages, backs not using great vision, WRs dropping passes (not calling him out but how many screen passes has RD missed already this year), and don't get me started on Stidham.  So it's an all around offensive crapfest.  

I’m sorry but personally I think it’s crap when you make a game plan vanilla due to the opponent. This is another fundamental problem I have with Gus. Many great coaches say you play the game not the opponent. You need to execute your plays and you should be running your whole offense every game. Yes in game adjustments are needed but watering down a game plan because we think we can “out talent” someone is ridiculous. 

30 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Best case scenario is Gus is keeping it vanilla byt not likely. He has real issues that need fixing. We don’t have time to be vanilla or chocolate.

Strawberry?

36 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Best case scenario is Gus is keeping it vanilla byt not likely. He has real issues that need fixing. We don’t have time to be vanilla or chocolate.

More like a Rocky Road.

Why do we always get 3-4 games in and pull our hair out?  Did we do this in the 80's and 90's?  

As fans we always want the best and now we are paying $7 mil/yr.   I just have higher expectations for $583,000/month.

54 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Why do we always get 3-4 games in and pull our hair out?  Did we do this in the 80's and 90's?  

As fans we always want the best and now we are paying $7 mil/yr.   I just have higher expectations for $583,000/month.

Short answer is yes.   Honestly it’s been AU football, scratch that, AU athletics since forever.    Except swimming when Marsh was st AU.

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

Gotta keep things vanilla for a Southern Miss. They're the true threat.

Same thought crossed my mind...

Archived