are fans fair in their remarks

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, Tigercj said:

Gus has been here long enough to have all his recruits in place to run his offense and it's a hot mess. He was the one who brought in herb hand his buddy to coach to line. So if Gus is having a hard time it is all self inflicted. 

It’s worth pointing out that I don’t think that this statement is entirely accurate, and I think it’s part of a lot of people’s frustration. Team recruiting rankings are extremely course grained measures and can be misleading. I don’t think we’ve really gotten Gus’ top choices at QB, RB and maybe OL(?) very often. Gus is THE dual threat QB coach, but the elite, ready to play, dual threat QBs are at UA, UGA, Texas A&M, FSU, etc. We start every recruiting season with a list of elite RBs we are recruiting, and we rarely close on them. We make that worse by bringing in people like Joiner, who will be pointed at as a “top 5 RB”, but who those in the know thought of as a product of his team, and likely to need a good bit of work before being ready to contribute.

You know, I hear people saying that defenses have caught up with Gus, but sometimes I wonder if the problem is that offenses have caught up with him. We are recruiting against a lot more teams, elite recruiting teams, for “Gus type” players, now. 

All that said, Gus needs to evaluate what his team can do, and tailor the game plan to that, period. He also needs to figure out how to light a fire under the OL.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I mean when you keep seeing the same issues over and over and over it gets frustrating. Hearing former players say they were not developed during their time at Auburn is disheartening. Seeing WRs typecasted into certain roles is disappointing. Imagine what this offense could do if we actually ran sophisticated non high school routes. Imagine what we could be if we really opened it up. But that isn't what we see. We see the speed sweep guy getting speed sweeps. We see the screen guy catching screen passes. We see the deep guy running streaks. Imagine if that got swapped up, and Seth started catching screens, Davis started running deep routes, or Schwartz going deep. Imagine if each WR had an option of what route to run, vs being subjected to specific routes that the defense knows what's coming simply by how they are lined up.

I completely agree. Simplistic and predictable. Easy to defend. 

4 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I have a problem with the long-winded posts. No one is asking for an essay, for Pete's sake. Quantity doesn't necessarily translate to quality.

true

some of you missed my point. i am talking about the classless fans who want gus and the team to fail so we can get a new coach. anyone that says that has never been said on this board is not paying attention. insulting players or or even player groups is another one. my thought is it is one thing to be told that at practiceby coaches and another for fans to spew that garbage on message boards. some fans actually get mad if an article by al.com or say a finebaum column is posted. the result? less articles posted on the board. sports articles are never going to always seem fair. it just gets tiresome. and again when other boards copy your comments for the sole purpose of making fun of fans is really bad and should have gotten folks attention. i doubt it is ever going to change but it was a nice thought.

18 hours ago, DAG said:

LSU does. They have an expectation to win the NC every year. They definitely don’t feel like they should be losing to us and they absolutely feel like they should be on Bama’s level. Jim Harbaugh is expected to be tOSU every year. You better not lose to MSU either. That is despicable in their eyes. Lincoln Riley is expected to make the playoffs every year. That is the expectation over there. They are ready to rip his head off right now.

Expectations are high all over the country and many fans expectations are much higher than majority of our fans are asking of Gus. Most fans aren’t asking Gus to be in the playoffs every year or to win an SEC title every year . Most fans aren’t asking him to beat Bama every year or UGA every year. I think what majority of us want is consistency and when you have the talent to take it at the next level, to jump at the opportunity. So I just can’t agree that Gus has the toughest job in the country. If he goes 9-3 this year and the next he will be perfectly fine.

:bow:

Thank you DAG!

Gus' job is nowhere near as demanding as the programs you mentioned above plus LSU/aTM/FSU, etc. 

Hell, AU's expectations are relatively low in comparison as we don't demand he compete for championships every year or beat our main rivals more than once every 3 yrs, and we don't demand he win freaking bowl games. :banghead:

We just want consistency and the product on the field to at minimum live up to the talent on the roster.  Is it too much to expect back to back 10 win seasons for the first time in 30 freaking years?  He's been in this program for 9 yrs, pulls a hefty salary, has his coaches and his players, top notch facilities, a supportive boss, and donors that give him everything he could need to be successful.

I'm not sure where this narrative originated that Gus has the hardest/toughest job in college football.  But I call BS on that notion, the AU people saw fit to extend his contract and give him a very lucrative increase in pay for averaging 4 losses a year and a 1-4 bowl record.  In what world does that make his job or the demands so astronomical that he has the toughest job in college football?  There are programs that would've canned his butt by now for that record.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

:bow:

Thank you DAG!

Gus' job is nowhere near as demanding as the programs you mentioned above plus LSU/aTM/FSU, etc. 

Hell, AU's expectations are relatively low in comparison as we don't demand he compete for championships every year or beat our main rivals more than once every 3 yrs, and we don't demand he win freaking bowl games. :banghead:

We just want consistency and the product on the field to at minimum live up to the talent on the roster.  Is it too much to expect back to back 10 win seasons for the first time in 30 freaking years?  He's been in this program for 9 yrs, pulls a hefty salary, has his coaches and his players, top notch facilities, a supportive boss, and donors that give him everything he could need to be successful.

I'm not sure where this narrative originated that Gus has the hardest/toughest job in college football.  But I call BS on that notion, the AU people saw fit to extend his contract and give him a very lucrative increase in pay for averaging 4 losses a year and a 1-4 bowl record.  In what world does that make his job or the demands so astronomical that he has the toughest job in college football?  There are programs that would've canned his butt by now for that record.

Yep

- Les Miles

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

some of you missed my point. i am talking about the classless fans who want gus and the team to fail so we can get a new coach. anyone that says that has never been said on this board is not paying attention. insulting players or or even player groups is another one. my thought is it is one thing to be told that at practiceby coaches and another for fans to spew that garbage on message boards. some fans actually get mad if an article by al.com or say a finebaum column is posted. the result? less articles posted on the board. sports articles are never going to always seem fair. it just gets tiresome. and again when other boards copy your comments for the sole purpose of making fun of fans is really bad and should have gotten folks attention. i doubt it is ever going to change but it was a nice thought.

dafuq-did-i-just-read.jpg

Just now, selias said:

dafuq-did-i-just-read.jpg

that is just what i said when you ratted me out about some news from a pay site................see how that works?

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

that is just what i said when you ratted me out about some news from a pay site................see how that works?

Wonka.jpg

1 minute ago, selias said:

Wonka.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

Archived