If you were the coach

AUJedi

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Let CCL run the offense like I let CKS run the defense.

This is NOT CCL's offense and I'm not sure CCL is doing the best job he can to be honest, based on that totally uninspired junk last night.  (My tin-foil hat tells me there might be some dissention on the O side of the ball right now).

I would just be the CEO and make sure they have the tools they need and let them both do their jobs.

Gotta  disagree.....think I would take the offense back and call all the plays...fun the offense like Jimbo, Petrino and at least a half dozen other HCs who came up through the OC role.      

This hybrid coaching situation is not efficient nor does it seem to have a cohesive strategy associated with it.  ..almost like it is....let chip call and play and then gus call a play.  What was that offense we had some years ago...Nallmenger or ????? 

Gus was a better OC than HC and in my view, it's when he started sharing the duties that the offense got stale.  Several offensive oriented coaches do their own play calling there is little for him or AU to lose by going back to what he was doing back as the OC.  

The fact that a guy is a good OC or good DC does not automatically translate into him becoming a good HC. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was Gus I would spend the next two weeks studying the best three or four passing offenses in the past 5 years. Figure out about a dozen route combinations that somewhat consistently get receivers open for 5-7 yard quick passes. One read routes two at most. Seems like we have a hard time getting anything open unless it’s a screen or delayed cross. It’s always been this way for Auburn even before Gus. The one year with Petrino and Borges first year the exceptions. 

14 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

So are we thinking that a Rhett Lashlee or Chip Lindsey is a better offensive coach then Gus?

NO....and that's why I posted my comment above.   We gained a passable head coach and lost a very good OC with his promotion. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Gotta  disagree.....think I would take the offense back and call all the plays...fun the offense like Jimbo, Petrino and at least a half dozen other HCs who came up through the OC role.      

This hybrid coaching situation is not efficient nor does it seem to have a cohesive strategy associated with it.  ..almost like it is....let chip call and play and then gus call a play.  What was that offense we had some years ago...Nallmenger or ????? 

Gus was a better OC than HC and in my view, it's when he started sharing the duties that the offense got stale.  Several offensive oriented coaches do their own play calling there is little for him or AU to lose by going back to what he was doing back as the OC.  

The fact that a guy is a good OC or good DC does not automatically translate into him becoming a good HC. 

I agree mostly.  If we're talking about the future (next year, moving forward).

The only reason I went the direction I did is due to the QB THIS YEAR.  Gus' "real" offense seems to need the true DT which I've (more than) suggested in many threads but many disagree with me.  That would require that he had prepared MW properly and have him ready to go.

However, since JS is the QB right now, for this year, I'd let CCL run it because I believe he has a better system for this particular QB.

Again, I think one of Gus' biggest issues is this notion of recruiting pocket passers for a DT QB style Offense.  ..... square peg/round hole.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree mostly.  If we're talking about the future (next year, moving forward).

The only reason I went the direction I did is due to the QB THIS YEAR.  Gus' "real" offense seems to need the true DT which I've (more than) suggested in many threads but many disagree with me.  That would require that he had prepared MW properly and have him ready to go.

However, since JS is the QB right now, for this year, I'd let CCL run it because I believe he has a better system for this particular QB.

Again, I think one of Gus' biggest issues is this notion of recruiting pocket passers for a DT QB style Offense.  ..... square peg/round hole.

That's an issue of course but there are not many real DT guys around and the recent ones we brought in ….Barrett and Joey JFIII and maybe even Willis...not up to the task. ...and even JS was often described as at DT.  

Gus's first QB (Todd) at AU was not a DT and Gus had a pretty good offense for him..   I worry that Chip is less able to come up with a good offense for JS than Gus could do.  

But Gus is locked into the system at AU. ..which in my view means that Chip calls the game plays and gus gets the blame for whatever does not work. JMO

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

That's an issue of course but there are not many real DT guys around and the recent ones we brought in ….Barrett and Joey JFIII and maybe even Willis...not up to the task. ...and even JS was often described as at DT.  

Gus's first QB (Todd) at AU was not a DT and Gus had a pretty good offense for him..   I worry that Chip is less able to come up with a good offense for JS than Gus could do.  

But Gus is locked into the system at AU. ..which in my view means that Chip calls the game plays and gus gets the blame for whatever does not work. JMO

If he ran the '09 (Todd) offense or what he ran at Tulsa, I'd be good with that.  But that's not what they're running.  It very much looks like the 2013 Offense only without the QB run option (since the QB can't really run).

And in my opinion JS nor Bo Nix are DT.  They're simply "mobile".  Joey Gatewood MIGHT be, but I'm not sure since we haven't really seen him.  I think of DT's more like Lamar Jackson, Michael Vick, Nick Marshall, etc.  Granted, those are special talents but my point being, they are true DT.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I’m going to have to respond to this on my laptop. I have a lot to say lol.

preach it brother....? 

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

I’d have Gus take over the offense completely. Last I checked it was Gus’s offense that helped us win a NT. Gus was very involved in 2013 when we made it to the NT. We griped when Chizik was HC that we need to let Gus open it up and run 80+ plays. We gripe now because Gus is holding back the offense. Just let Gus run the offense and let it ride if it fails then it’s his fault. No guessing.

It took a few years for the DCs to figure Gus out.  His offense will not work as it did in 10 and 13.  We have to make adjustments to it.  

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I’m going to have to respond to this on my laptop. I have a lot to say lol.

I hear ya!

I've been burning it up today cuz I'm back in the chemo chair tomorrow so I probably won't be able to think straight for the next week or so..haha, well not really funny but anyway..

Sorry but this is Gus’ offense with a few different plays and looks implemented by chip.   Running plays are what Gus has always ran, except not having a running QB.   Chip has to call plays based off Gus’ offense.   It was nice seeing them run the power sweep play a couple of times in the fourth quarter for some positive yardage.  Don’t know why they don’t run this more

Just now, Swamp Eagle said:

I wouldn't change a thing. I'm lovin' this sh*tshow.

I LOL'd...

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Comic relief is all I have right now...?

I hear ya' brother!!!

Outta LIKES or I'd give you a few...

25 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If he ran the '09 (Todd) offense or what he ran at Tulsa, I'd be good with that.  But that's not what they're running.  It very much looks like the 2013 Offense only without the QB run option (since the QB can't really run).

And in my opinion JS nor Bo Nix are DT.  They're simply "mobile".  Joey Gatewood MIGHT be, but I'm not sure since we haven't really seen him.  I think of DT's more like Lamar Jackson, Michael Vick, Nick Marshall, etc.  Granted, those are special talents but my point being, they are true DT.

I would love to see Joey but I think he has been injured.  I'm sure whats keeping him off the field if recovered is his throwing. During the All American game he looked like a man among boys. Dude can definitely run the ball . All boils down to throwing it , I could be wrong and I know those All American games is like back yard football but he was very explosive and agile running the ball. Whether it was backyard football or not he still was playing against top guys in the country as far as being able to run. He DId throw some ugly balls that game too though . haha

Hope you doing good brotha

19 minutes ago, around4ever said:

It took a few years for the DCs to figure Gus out.  His offense will not work as it did in 10 and 13.  We have to make adjustments to it.  

We beat the number 1 team twice in three weeks last year. Then we got beat down as a team and to play a former #1 team again. 3 out of 4 weeks we played a top team. That’s hard but we blew UGA out and could have blown out Bama. It was working so it was probably Chips offense up until we lost then it was Gus’s?

I have to preface this wity the fact that I hate these kinds of questions. Coaches keep a lot of info close to the vest, and even the most connected us probably don’t completely know what the rationales of our coaches are. For instance, nobody knows who is really running this offense. There are clearly plays left over from the Gus/Rhett run years. But maybe Chip Lindsay just liked those plays so he chose to adopt them. Technically, Kodi Burns is Co-OC. Maybe he’s the run game coordinator. Either way, we don’t really know where the disconnect is or who is responsible. 

That said, I think the most glaring correction is to use more RPOs. When we’ve relied on RPOs, our offense has had some momentum this season. They neutralize the opposing defense’s effect on our less than stellar OL. 

I also think, for the time being, I’d go away from Kam Martin. I think Kam’s running power is underrated, and I think he’s not getting enough credit. However, I also think he seems less patient as  runner. Rather than waiting for a hole to develop, he tries to hit the hole quickly where it was drawn up to be. If the OLine is doing it’s job, Kam Martin would do well, but I think he isn’t patient enough given the current status of our OLine. 

From there, I think the problem is indecision in play calling. Tempo is our friend, But it’s been nonexistent so far this season. I think the coaches are trying to decide between playing to our strengths vs. trying to grow our weak OL. Given the need to have more tempo, I’d go one of two ways. 

Option 1- If the offensive line has talent and is just lacking cohesion, I’d commit to pounding the rock, even if it means we look a little rough next week. The hope would be that a bunch of run plays may create the missing cohesion in the offensive line that gets our offense back on track. If this happens and the OL starts to play better, I’d start rotating Kam Martin back into the offense again as I think he could be a dangerous weapon behind a good OL.

Option 2- If, given the facts I have, I believe that the the offensive line is going to continue to struggle to open up holes, I’d run our offense like an air raid offense using short passes to open up the deep pass and deep passes to open up the run.

For the record, I’m hoping for option 1, even if it means we look a bit rough next week. But, if this OL just doesn’t have that it factor, we need to move on to option 2 now. Either way, the offense needs to operate faster.

2 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

Have to disagree it was Cam that won us that NT. Our offense in 2011 when he was OC was not great. He did well when we had NM because we had a dual threat that could run his offense. I just wish he would go back to 2009 playcalling when Chris Todd wasn’t mobile but he still had passing concepts instead of run run deep pass rinse wash repeat.  

This has been the biggest mystery to me. Where is that offense?

First things first I’d root out any bad weeds if it hasn’t already happened. I’d grant anyone a transfer if they didn’t want to be here. If there’s a cancer we need to address it; if there’s not a cancer then good have the kids commit to holding each other and myself accountable. Intensity and accountability is about to skyrocket.

Second, I would address the entire offensive staff and explain our current performance is unacceptable and we need to pivot. Our new base formation should have at least 4 receivers with a goal of 30-40 passes per game. Then I would make it known that Boobee is the feature back moving forward and Kam/Shiv will be change of pace options. Then as a staff we start working on a legitimate route tree based off our personnel. We would also need to evaluate if we want to be a HUNH team or accept that time has passed.

Third, I’d get more specific about personnel decisions. JB Grimes is on my hot seat as a recruiter and coach currently. We need to dry something different at the guard positions and I’d heavily consider having Calvin Ashley replace Marquell Harrell against Southern Miss as an experiment. All of the freshmen receivers need more targets and so does Cox.

Fourth, Stidham and receivers need an obnoxious amount of reps working on timing and simulating throwing under pressure. We need to rewind his internal clock and drill in game scenarios. He’s not performing to his standard from last year and ideally he should be outperforming his previous season.

Fifth, I’d work with Kam on being patient and letting blocks develop. His performance would spike upwards dramatically. Asa and Boobee probably are already receiving strip drill practice but can always use more.

I said this in another thread. As a staff they need to answer all of the “what if” scenarios. They should know what they’re going to do on each down and distance at all of the different parts of the field. No more calling a timeout 4th and 1 because the crowd is booing and we’re not sure what we want to do. In wrestling one of the most important things we drill is situational wrestling from all different types of troubling situations. Run a 4th and 1 against our 1st team D and every time the offense doesn’t get it they run a certain amount, so a certain amount of push-ups, or up downs.

Thats about all I can’t think about for offense right now. Too long didn’t read version: pass first run second offense and cover for our OL by having quick routes (not just screens). Spread the defense out and open up running lanes. Oh, and run the ball with different types of schemes (counters, sweeps, pitches, draws, buck sweep, and add some more wrinkles).

Defense

We need a speed rusher on the edge. I’m not sure who can get it done but we really need a edge rush that can close on the quarterback. If we can’t accomplish this we need more twists, stunts, and hidden blitzes.

Secondary is improving, I genuinely believe this, but I’d try to get more safety help over top. Ban our conservative “prevent” mode on 3rd and forever. My favorite play last week was the near interception where we jumped a route and didn’t quite pull it out. Dean, Thomas, Davis, and Iggy have all flashed moments of greatness.

Really all I have for defense is keep rotating the young kids in and focus on getting pressure to make the rest of the defense’s job easier.

Offense has to sustain drives.

Anders Carlson needs high pressure practice which is fine for a freshman kicker. Just simulate pressure for him and have consequences when he misses (team has to run or something). He has the leg strength he just seems a little nervous still.

Siposs is getting into the swing of things. Practice practice practice.

The team needs more energy too. They’re so mild mannered at tiger walk, the crowd has been lackluster, and honestly we could take a page from Bruce Pearl on motivation and hype.

Then again, Gus makes more than I’ll make in my entire life combined in half a year.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Gus' "real" offense seems to need the true DT which I've (more than) suggested in many threads but many disagree with me. 

I used to think Gus did not need a DT QB but I'm starting to change my mind and agree with you on that.

4 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

I would love to see Joey but I think he has been injured.  I'm sure whats keeping him off the field if recovered is his throwing. During the All American game he looked like a man among boys. Dude can definitely run the ball . All boils down to throwing it , I could be wrong and I know those All American games is like back yard football but he was very explosive and agile running the ball. Whether it was backyard football or not he still was playing against top guys in the country as far as being able to run. He DId throw some ugly balls that game too though . haha

Hope you doing good brotha

Yeah, I hate he's hurt otherwise we may have seen him.  Just wishing AU would play to their strength instead of forcing an idea.

Doing well as can be brotha.  Hit the chair for round 3 tomorrow and the side effects are worse each time but we're fighting!!  Thanks for asking.  I hope it's going well y'all's way!!

Archived