If you were the coach

AUJedi

7 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Doing well as can be brotha.  Hit the chair for round 3 tomorrow and the side effects are worse each time but we're fighting

Glad you are doing as you put it as well as can be. How many treatments are you going to have if you don't mind me asking? My wife had to take 6 for her breast cancer. Still thinking of you and praying for you and your family. I lived it with my wife and trust me it's hard on your family too. My GOD be with you.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

We beat the number 1 team twice in three weeks last year. Then we got beat down as a team and to play a former #1 team again. 3 out of 4 weeks we played a top team. That’s hard but we blew UGA out and could have blown out Bama. It was working so it was probably Chips offense up until we lost then it was Gus’s?

At last you understand.....?

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

At the very least, you'd have a guy in the booth calling plays he believes in.  They showed shots last night of CCL throwing up his hands, and Stids slamming the ball and yelling angrily (NEVER seen that before) and there was no cohesion in why they did things....I couldn't pick out a strategy or game plan.

I can't remember if it was 3rd or 4th qtr but they showed the passing play breakdown and they had only 1 (one) attempt beyond 10 yards.  Then suddenly it was overthrown bomb after overthrown bomb....like they watched the stat come up on TV.

I'm telling you, I've watched AU football for 40+ years and last night had a very strange vibe to it that I'm real curious to see how this week plays out.

That confused me so  much last night.

If I was Gus I would sit down with my offensive staff and say" Men, what can we do to get this offense clicking like it did last season when we were beating our rivals to a tune of 10-2 regular season.

Make Boobie the feature back with at least 20 carries per game

Bring in Shivers and possibly Asa for enough plays to give Boobie a breather and if they get hot, let them run more plays.

Run the jet sweep with Schwartz and Stove at least 4 or more times per game.

Run the slant pattern especially with Schwartz and some of the freshmen who have shown promise

.(Run at least 5 pass plays over the middle (10-20 yard patterns)

Run at least 5 pass plays of 20-30 yard patterns.

Go long whenever the defense is looking for something totally different

Throw to the TE at least 3-4 times per game

Throw at least 3-4 times to Cox out of the backfield.

On short yardage situation (4th & 1 or 2) line up JS under center with Cox as the up back and Boobie in the RB position and give it to Cox. He has proven he can get short yards when needed.

Run a reverse with Schwarz or Shivers, or Stove at least 1 time per game.

Have JB to have a heart to heart come to Jesus meeting with his O-line and tell them that they will become the meanest and nastiest (legal that is) in.the SEC linemen. Have these meetings on a regular basis until it soaks in)

Let CKS have total free reign with his defense.

I’m no expert but it seems to me that putting Cox in the wildcat and having him spin around aimlessly before running up the middle would be a fantastic strategy.  Then, I would run straight up the middle 15 times in a row, run a sweep, then a bubble screen, and top it off with a go route deep on 3rd and 4... 

16 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

If I was Gus I would sit down with my offensive staff and say" Men, what can we do to get this offense clicking like it did last season when we were beating our rivals to a tune of 10-2 regular season.

Make Boobie the feature back with at least 20 carries per game

Bring in Shivers and possibly Asa for enough plays to give Boobie a breather and if they get hot, let them run more plays.

Run the jet sweep with Schwartz and Stove at least 4 or more times per game.

Run the slant pattern especially with Schwartz and some of the freshmen who have shown promise

.(Run at least 5 pass plays over the middle (10-20 yard patterns)

Run at least 5 pass plays of 20-30 yard patterns.

Go long whenever the defense is looking for something totally different

Throw to the TE at least 3-4 times per game

Throw at least 3-4 times to Cox out of the backfield.

On short yardage situation (4th & 1 or 2) line up JS under center with Cox as the up back and Boobie in the RB position and give it to Cox. He has proven he can get short yards when needed.

Run a reverse with Schwarz or Shivers, or Stove at least 1 time per game.

Have JB to have a heart to heart come to Jesus meeting with his O-line and tell them that they will become the meanest and nastiest (legal that is) in.the SEC linemen. Have these meetings on a regular basis until it soaks in)

Let CKS have total free reign with his defense.

I’m not being a smart butt here. Just talking. I figured with all you want there,  you need at least 60 plays or more. I think I saw a box score of last night we had 58-59 plays I think. Gonna be hard to get all that in if the D is not giving it to you and then if you leave out some of those plays, how many fans will blame the performance because you didn’t run some of that stuff? 

My stud qb is Stidham. My o-line can pass protect decently, when including a senior at h-back (Cox). To the right and left are countless top 20 type targets, Canella, Davis, Shwarts, Mclain, Craig-Myers and Harris(until), and Williams. My run game is really a committee of scat backs with no holes, and no give-and-take game planners calling the shots.

If I'm the coach I know deep down this team loses 3 or 4 and wins the rest NO MATTER WHAT, EVEN IF I DON'T EVEN SHOW UP. EVEN IF I QUIT. I would have already heard that Uat can't defend the pass, and my team can't run. So instead of suicide forfeits, I have recievers running all gobblity gook all over the damn place and I throw it, and throw it, and throw it, and then drink a Gatorade and throw the sumbitch again. Because I have the worlds greatest passing team and I own state records play calling at Tulsa, and I'm smart enough to know that it's not even in the cards for my run team to win nine, plus, since I gamble all the time on stupid garbage like going for it on fourth, or leaving in a quarterback with a broke arm, I might as well gamble with my philosophy, generate some excitement, and stop snatching the game-plan rug out from under my top 5 squad of players, causing them to pure quit the damn team.

*reaches back into the ice chest*

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

First things first I’d root out any bad weeds if it hasn’t already happened. I’d grant anyone a transfer if they didn’t want to be here. If there’s a cancer we need to address it; if there’s not a cancer then good have the kids commit to holding each other and myself accountable. Intensity and accountability is about to skyrocket.

Second, I would address the entire offensive staff and explain our current performance is unacceptable and we need to pivot. Our new base formation should have at least 4 receivers with a goal of 30-40 passes per game. Then I would make it known that Boobee is the feature back moving forward and Kam/Shiv will be change of pace options. Then as a staff we start working on a legitimate route tree based off our personnel. We would also need to evaluate if we want to be a HUNH team or accept that time has passed.

Third, I’d get more specific about personnel decisions. JB Grimes is on my hot seat as a recruiter and coach currently. We need to dry something different at the guard positions and I’d heavily consider having Calvin Ashley replace Marquell Harrell against Southern Miss as an experiment. All of the freshmen receivers need more targets and so does Cox.

Fourth, Stidham and receivers need an obnoxious amount of reps working on timing and simulating throwing under pressure. We need to rewind his internal clock and drill in game scenarios. He’s not performing to his standard from last year and ideally he should be outperforming his previous season.

Fifth, I’d work with Kam on being patient and letting blocks develop. His performance would spike upwards dramatically. Asa and Boobee probably are already receiving strip drill practice but can always use more.

I said this in another thread. As a staff they need to answer all of the “what if” scenarios. They should know what they’re going to do on each down and distance at all of the different parts of the field. No more calling a timeout 4th and 1 because the crowd is booing and we’re not sure what we want to do. In wrestling one of the most important things we drill is situational wrestling from all different types of troubling situations. Run a 4th and 1 against our 1st team D and every time the offense doesn’t get it they run a certain amount, so a certain amount of push-ups, or up downs.

Thats about all I can’t think about for offense right now. Too long didn’t read version: pass first run second offense and cover for our OL by having quick routes (not just screens). Spread the defense out and open up running lanes. Oh, and run the ball with different types of schemes (counters, sweeps, pitches, draws, buck sweep, and add some more wrinkles).

Defense

We need a speed rusher on the edge. I’m not sure who can get it done but we really need a edge rush that can close on the quarterback. If we can’t accomplish this we need more twists, stunts, and hidden blitzes.

Secondary is improving, I genuinely believe this, but I’d try to get more safety help over top. Ban our conservative “prevent” mode on 3rd and forever. My favorite play last week was the near interception where we jumped a route and didn’t quite pull it out. Dean, Thomas, Davis, and Iggy have all flashed moments of greatness.

Really all I have for defense is keep rotating the young kids in and focus on getting pressure to make the rest of the defense’s job easier.

Offense has to sustain drives.

Anders Carlson needs high pressure practice which is fine for a freshman kicker. Just simulate pressure for him and have consequences when he misses (team has to run or something). He has the leg strength he just seems a little nervous still.

Siposs is getting into the swing of things. Practice practice practice.

The team needs more energy too. They’re so mild mannered at tiger walk, the crowd has been lackluster, and honestly we could take a page from Bruce Pearl on motivation and hype.

Then again, Gus makes more than I’ll make in my entire life combined in half a year.

Great post! You’ve definitely put a lot of thought into it. 

I can see how these threads go off on a tangent. I think what I’m getting at is many say we need to do this and this and this different. Maybe you and other coaches can help me out. Realistically how much could you change your system, getting however many players we got on the same page, once the season has started? I mean I’d love to see JS throw 50+ times a game,  but could changing up that much even come close to possible? 

45 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Glad you are doing as you put it as well as can be. How many treatments are you going to have if you don't mind me asking? My wife had to take 6 for her breast cancer. Still thinking of you and praying for you and your family. I lived it with my wife and trust me it's hard on your family too. My GOD be with you.

Thank you KD!  Don't mind at all.  I pray that I can turn my unfortunate situation into a story of inspiration and trust in our Lord for others so I'm happy to share whenever asked!

I've had two rounds so far.  The chair for five hours plus 2 additional days on a continuous pump.  Then a week off....then start the cycle again.  I have four types of chemo and it's a mutha, I don't mind telling you. (I'm a Christian but I'm a pretty plain spoken one, haha).  I have round 3 tomorrow, round 4 the next couple weeks after that and then a PET scan to see the progress.  From there?  We'll find out but I'm also looking at probable radiation afterwards and possibly radical surgery after that.

I understand about the family.  It's SO hard for my wife!  I feel so bad for her.  Selfishly, I'm glad it's me because I can't imagine how I'd feel it it were her or either of our girls!!!  They are so brave and strong and keep me going.  God is blessing me in so many ways it's amazing let me tell ya'!!!

I hope your wife is good now?????  I pray for y'all too.

God bless!!!

9 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

My stud qb is Stidham. My o-line can pass protect decently, when including a senior at h-back (Cox). To the right and left are countless top 20 type targets, Canella, Davis, Shwarts, Mclain, Craig-Myers and Harris(until), and Williams. My run game is really a committee of scat backs with no holes, and no give-and-take game planners calling the shots.

If I'm the coach I know deep down this team loses 3 or 4 and wins the rest NO MATTER WHAT, EVEN IF I DON'T EVEN SHOW UP. EVEN IF I QUIT. I would have already heard that Uat can't defend the pass, and my team can't run. So instead of suicide forfeits, I have recievers running all gobblity gook all over the damn place and I throw it, and throw it, and throw it, and then drink a Gatorade and throw the sumbitch again. Because I have the worlds greatest passing team and I own state records play calling at Tulsa, and I'm smart enough to know that it's not even in the cards for my run team to win nine, plus, since I gamble all the time on stupid garbage like going for it on fourth, or leaving in a quarterback with a broke arm, I might as well gamble with my philosophy, generate some excitement, and stop snatching the game-plan rug out from under my top 5 squad of players, causing them to pure quit the damn team.

44488F4A-8D04-489F-98F4-4CF944AAC9C1.jpeg

13 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

I’m not being a smart butt here. Just talking. I figured with all you want there,  you need at least 60 plays or more. I think I saw a box score of last night we had 58-59 plays I think. Gonna be hard to get all that in if the D is not giving it to you and then if you leave out some of those plays, how many fans will blame the performance because you didn’t run some of that stuff? 

I understand and know for this offense to really work the way it should have at least close to 65 or more plays if possible. We can do this if we become committed to having a truly dynamic offense. Will Gus do this? Who knows?

33 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I’m no expert but it seems to me that putting Cox in the wildcat and having him spin around aimlessly before running up the middle would be a fantastic strategy.  Then, I would run straight up the middle 15 times in a row, run a sweep, then a bubble screen, and top it off with a go route deep on 3rd and 4... 

Pretty much sums it up.

2 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

We beat the number 1 team twice in three weeks last year. Then we got beat down as a team and to play a former #1 team again. 3 out of 4 weeks we played a top team. That’s hard but we blew UGA out and could have blown out Bama. It was working so it was probably Chips offense up until we lost then it was Gus’s?

Go back and watch those games and compare the offense to this year.  

38 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I hope AD Greene interviews you FIRST once Gus bolts for the NE Patriots when Belichek retires.

5 hours ago, AUJedi said:

If by some miracle you could land in CGM shoes right now, what REALISTICALLY would you and could you do to  improve our offense starting today? Even if you’ve realized you had a bad plan going into the season? 

Run whatever Art Briles did at Baylor minus the serial rapists.

13 hours ago, Zeek said:

First things first I’d root out any bad weeds if it hasn’t already happened. I’d grant anyone a transfer if they didn’t want to be here. If there’s a cancer we need to address it; if there’s not a cancer then good have the kids commit to holding each other and myself accountable. Intensity and accountability is about to skyrocket.

Second, I would address the entire offensive staff and explain our current performance is unacceptable and we need to pivot. Our new base formation should have at least 4 receivers with a goal of 30-40 passes per game. Then I would make it known that Boobee is the feature back moving forward and Kam/Shiv will be change of pace options. Then as a staff we start working on a legitimate route tree based off our personnel. We would also need to evaluate if we want to be a HUNH team or accept that time has passed.

Third, I’d get more specific about personnel decisions. JB Grimes is on my hot seat as a recruiter and coach currently. We need to dry something different at the guard positions and I’d heavily consider having Calvin Ashley replace Marquell Harrell against Southern Miss as an experiment. All of the freshmen receivers need more targets and so does Cox.

Fourth, Stidham and receivers need an obnoxious amount of reps working on timing and simulating throwing under pressure. We need to rewind his internal clock and drill in game scenarios. He’s not performing to his standard from last year and ideally he should be outperforming his previous season.

Fifth, I’d work with Kam on being patient and letting blocks develop. His performance would spike upwards dramatically. Asa and Boobee probably are already receiving strip drill practice but can always use more.

I said this in another thread. As a staff they need to answer all of the “what if” scenarios. They should know what they’re going to do on each down and distance at all of the different parts of the field. No more calling a timeout 4th and 1 because the crowd is booing and we’re not sure what we want to do. In wrestling one of the most important things we drill is situational wrestling from all different types of troubling situations. Run a 4th and 1 against our 1st team D and every time the offense doesn’t get it they run a certain amount, so a certain amount of push-ups, or up downs.

Thats about all I can’t think about for offense right now. Too long didn’t read version: pass first run second offense and cover for our OL by having quick routes (not just screens). Spread the defense out and open up running lanes. Oh, and run the ball with different types of schemes (counters, sweeps, pitches, draws, buck sweep, and add some more wrinkles).

Defense

We need a speed rusher on the edge. I’m not sure who can get it done but we really need a edge rush that can close on the quarterback. If we can’t accomplish this we need more twists, stunts, and hidden blitzes.

Secondary is improving, I genuinely believe this, but I’d try to get more safety help over top. Ban our conservative “prevent” mode on 3rd and forever. My favorite play last week was the near interception where we jumped a route and didn’t quite pull it out. Dean, Thomas, Davis, and Iggy have all flashed moments of greatness.

Really all I have for defense is keep rotating the young kids in and focus on getting pressure to make the rest of the defense’s job easier.

Offense has to sustain drives.

Anders Carlson needs high pressure practice which is fine for a freshman kicker. Just simulate pressure for him and have consequences when he misses (team has to run or something). He has the leg strength he just seems a little nervous still.

Siposs is getting into the swing of things. Practice practice practice.

The team needs more energy too. They’re so mild mannered at tiger walk, the crowd has been lackluster, and honestly we could take a page from Bruce Pearl on motivation and hype.

Then again, Gus makes more than I’ll make in my entire life combined in half a year.

Nice post!!  Well thought out points.  The problem with the offensive points is that much of that should have been installed during the spring and fall camps.  You can't change all of that mid-season.  But still, you have nailed some great points in your post.

Just now, AUDevil said:

The offense worked last year w a healthy Kerryon.  This year?  No Kerryon.

Did we learn our lesson from previous seasons? You can’t  have an offense predicated on one player..

4 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Nice post!!  Well thought out points.  The problem with the offensive points is that much of that should have been installed during the spring and fall camps.  You can't change all of that mid-season.  But still, you have nailed some great points in your post.

This what drives me nuts every year Gus has been here.  He spends all spring and fall camps doing everything other then developing an offensive identity. It’s as if he goes into the year without an identity and it will reveal itself during the season.  If you don’t have a plan, any road will get you there.  

A little leadership please. 

16 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Someone stated in a previous thread we could be worse and have coach O. Well Orgeron is doing this very thing of being a CEO of the team. Both offense and defense at least have an identity. 

did o not run canada off by not letting him run his offense?

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

did o not run canada off by not letting him run his offense?

He actually indirectly fired Canada. It definitely wasn’t by Canada own admission , but O did let Canada run his own style and felt it was not working and went back to LSU bread and butter. What I will say is O is not known as an X and O guy, but a rah-rah type. This is okay if you are willing to hire the right people and let them do what they do best. I think that is what the original poster was getting at. 

For $583,000 per month,   I expect more.   

So many excellent points made.   Thanks for posting.  I was thinking Saturday night I was the most negative person in the world as I rubbed my hands together thinking without the D and special teams, we lose to Ark.  Glad I was not the only one pushing the "something has to change button".   

I stand by my point I made in the Spring - I don't think I have  seen so much talent (collectively) at so many positions in my 35 yrs as an Auburn fan (except the O line).   

We have two weeks to make some improvement.

War Eagle!

17 hours ago, AUJedi said:

If by some miracle you could land in CGM shoes right now, what REALISTICALLY would you and could you do to  improve our offense starting today? Even if you’ve realized you had a bad plan going into the season? 

For starts I’d start using my talent. Boobie, and Worm get the carries, let Stidham throw vertically, use Sal for TE type routes. Then I’d change up the scheme. More slants and drags, less screens. I’d also bring back the speed sweep with Eli and Schwartz. 

Archived