If you were the coach

AUJedi

3 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

If I were the coach, I'm not running 4th and one plays from the shotgun formation.

Yes JS is 6’3 . QB sneak it or put in JG...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Zeek said:

Thats about all I can’t think about for offense right now. Too long didn’t read version: pass first run second offense and cover for our OL by having quick routes (not just screens). Spread the defense out and open up running lanes. Oh, and run the ball with different types of schemes (counters, sweeps, pitches, draws, buck sweep, and add some more wrinkles).

Spot on. I said it before the season. I am saying it even more now. Run the Baylor offense. Pass to run. I know that this is contrary to everything Gus wants to do (which is power running 75% of the time from the shotgun). 

Also I truly believe that Chip is running the offense. Anyone who watched on TV: they showed him throw his hands in the air in the 4th quarter because even he was disgusted with the play on the field. It was like he was saying there was nothing he could call that would work with this OL. The only thing that was working was the WR screens because the OL could not run block, pass blocking was minimal, and when they finally did pass block the QB panicked anyway. 

To sum up: Get the ball out of Stidham's hands quick, and not just screens. Play other RBs. Make more changes at OL - may as well play for the future NOW. Run more jet sweeps, misdirection, etc. 

Also, if I were the coach, Worm would not have had only 2 carries...both in the 4th qtr and both fullback dives up the middle.  I mean WTF was the point in that???

If I were Gus, I'd fly in my only two friends Freeze and Briles in for a long weekend and have them analyze and help re tune our offense.  The D-coordinators have us figured out and we need some offensive minds; not sure Gus or Chip qualify.

Given that our strength offensively seems to be the WRs, I'd run more 4- and 5-wide sets. Scrap the heay sets with TEs, extra OL, the HB, etc. I'd spread defenses out to get more clarity on box counts for RPOs. I'd run a lot of power and dart with 1-back sets. I'd utilize the RB both in motion out wide and out of the backfield in the passing game, especially over the middle and against LBs. I'd throw a lot of quick, decisive routes on early downs that allow Stidham to make easy reads and throws. I'd give him the ability to adjust routes when pressure shows itself. 

I'd start running intermediate quick routes, and I'd run more RPO where Stidham keep a zone read, and looks for the screen. Make the linebacker pick something to defend, and then take off if he goes to the receiver. I'd also utilize our Tight Ends more. Throw in Shenker and Brown and run some outs, drags, flags, flats on Stidham rollouts like Harris ran in the LSU game. I think we've gotta get away from the line because right now, drop backs and up the middle runs are not working at all. Rollouts, screens in space, and jet sweeps could draw the attention away from the line much more, so we could get more defenders out of the box, and make it easier on this line. 

EDIT: Ryan Davis is one of the most electric, elusive players in the country. He makes guys miss and seems to do it so easily. I think he needs the ball even more on screens or slant routes. 

21 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Given that our strength offensively seems to be the WRs, I'd run more 4- and 5-wide sets. Scrap the heay sets with TEs, extra OL, the HB, etc. I'd spread defenses out to get more clarity on box counts for RPOs. I'd run a lot of power and dart with 1-back sets. I'd utilize the RB both in motion out wide and out of the backfield in the passing game, especially over the middle and against LBs. I'd throw a lot of quick, decisive routes on early downs that allow Stidham to make easy reads and throws. I'd give him the ability to adjust routes when pressure shows itself. 

You're hired.

43 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I’d save the AD at least $5 million per year too. 

If what we have now is worth $7M I think all of us forum coaches are worth at least $3M combined.  ?

10 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

If I were the coach, I'm not running 4th and one plays from the shotgun formation.

I would. It has worked much more than it hasn’t over the years. But to use boobie in wildcat you must throw it at least once early in the season. LSU totally sold out on boobie. A pass or even a handoff works. 

On 9/23/2018 at 6:54 PM, aubaseball said:

Sorry but this is Gus’ offense with a few different plays and looks implemented by chip.   Running plays are what Gus has always ran, except not having a running QB.   Chip has to call plays based off Gus’ offense.   It was nice seeing them run the power sweep play a couple of times in the fourth quarter for some positive yardage.  Don’t know why they don’t run this more

I agree.  Gus has only  been truly  successful  with absolute stud running quarterbacks(Cam & Nick).  14-0 and 20-7.  Without them at Auburn 52-31. So with a dynamic dual threat QB Gus and his predictable boring offense with a very vanilla passing game has a winning percentage of 82.93%.  Without it is 62.65%.  With Jarrett it is  72.22%.  Nick Marshal  was 74.07%.   JS still has the rest of 2018 to play.  I am not statTiger, but those are the win percentages.  Let's drop Tulsa as a measuring stick. His offense was new to college football and no one had scene it before.  Now everyone has scene it.  It is boring, dull, and predictable.   It is not a  HUNH.  It only works when Gus has Thor or Black Panther running it.

Archived