Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Arkansas

JMR

21 minutes ago, JMR said:

Enough of the “swinging gate” PAT. That play isn’t fooling anyone anymore, and this week it cost AU a delay-of-game penalty.

Good Lord I hate the swinging gate. Just line up and kick the freaking ball!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

Thanks Coach!!  I look forward to your posts every week during the season.  As much as I watch football, I don’t know much about Xs and Os because I never played (I’m female) and I learn a lot from your posts and a couple of others on this site.  Thanks again!

• Like 4

Thank you Coach.  Fantastic observations as always.

I'm unusually concerned with the offense after this past week....losing two key players and the "weirdness" that the offense displayed.  As you mentioned, the poor communication, the visceral frustration seen by CCL & Stidham, etc.

I hope you're right that it's just 2018's version of the typical Gus Malzahn growing pains.  

Thanks for the level headed approach to counter my little green men approach!!

War Eagle!!

Dean’s hit was awesome.

Do you think we are doing Anders a disservice by letting him kick so far out? I dont want his misses to start messing with his head. I thought his miss against LSU was because of a poor snap, but last night was somewhat weird. 

• Like 1

Excellent as usual!  I do have to question what you saw with the O Line.  I saw each get beaten time and time again.  I did like what I saw with Brahms.  He will be a good one.  Horton is a mystery but it may be due to the injury.  If the injury affects him that badly shouldn't we have somebody else in there?  

• Thanks 1

I thought the line played about as poorly as a line can play.    I maybe too critical since it was first game starting but the center snaps to the QB seemed awfully slow.   

I trust your expertise, JR, but I still can't get the images of our O-Linemen chasing their D-Linemen to our QB out of my head.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, JMR said:

I don’t know whether it was a personnel situation, with Arkansas starting a new QB, or something Kevin Steele saw in Arkansas’ pass protection, but Auburn blitzed a bunch in this game. Those blitzes were effective, “getting home” more often than not.

We have some DBs who get after the QB when turned loose. Tutt was sent once and forced a hurry, and Sherwood, Peters, and Monday gets to the QB quick. Hope we see more of that. While it wasn’t a blitz, and only one play,  Jibunor has great burst off the edge. We need to see more of him on third and long. 

1 hour ago, JMR said:

Enough of the “swinging gate” PAT. That play isn’t fooling anyone anymore, and this week it cost AU a delay-of-game penalty.

Thank you.

• WarTiger changed the title to Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Arkansas

LMAO!! You guys are a tough crowd!  I didn’t say the OL played well. I said they “improved”.  I looked at each individual. Brahms was an improvement. Tega has definitely improved. Driscoll was “ok”.  I saw Horton make a few plays, which is more than he has done so far this season. Harrell was a little better, but still not acceptable. 

Someone asked why Ashley isn’t playing at all. I don’t know, but his coach says he “just isn’t there yet”, whatever that means. I thought Troxell might get a look at guard this week, but guess not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JMR said:

equally as annoying as the Tony Franklin Meerkat pre-snap every offensive possession. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JMR said:
  • Whatever the problem with Anders Carlson, he needs to get it remedied. It’s been a while since Auburn has been without a super-reliable kicker, and with the offense struggling of late, we need him to get in his groove.

The problem is his head coach giving him the unreasonable task of making 52-57 yard field goals. He is a freshman! Anders is fine. Malzahn (and the fans) need to stop acting like these NFL-level kicks are gimmes. I hope Gus doesn't ruin the kid's psyche by asking too much of him this early. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

The problem is his head coach giving him the unreasonable task of making 52-57 yard field goals. He is a freshman! Anders is fine. Malzahn (and the fans) need to stop acting like these NFL-level kicks are gimmes. I hope Gus doesn't ruin the kid's psyche by asking too much of him this early. 

Preach!  Patently unfair to the kid that half of his FG attempts have been from beyond 50 in his first four games.  He's 80% so far this year from under 50.  Lots of college teams would take that in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

coach do you agree with this? i swiped iit from another site but it sounds legit. from a bummer fan as well.

Is this a fair assessment: I've watched 3 of your games. Stidham is actually better than last year, often I see the A and B gaps collapse causing him to get rid of ball quicker or force throws. Team are sitting on your RPOs knowing that it's a quick read. Yes I know you guys have a few O-line issues but some can be covered by moving the pocket to take advantage of Stidham athleticism. I think Gus asking him to sit in the pocket and get to his 3rd reads on long developing plays is killing your offense. Arkansas was playing a soft Cover 2 and occasionally bringing a safety into the box. It should of been Barbeque Pig all night.

19 hours ago, AidiAU said:

Dean’s hit was awesome.

Do you think we are doing Anders a disservice by letting him kick so far out? I dont want his misses to start messing with his head. I thought his miss against LSU was because of a poor snap, but last night was somewhat weird. 

Thought pretty much the same thing.  Other than the end of half, let's keep his kicks to 45 yards or so.  Nobody questions his leg, but the accuracy over 50 hasn't been good.  I'd rather have the field position.

54 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

coach do you agree with this? i swiped iit from another site but it sounds legit. from a bummer fan as well.

Is this a fair assessment: I've watched 3 of your games. Stidham is actually better than last year, often I see the A and B gaps collapse causing him to get rid of ball quicker or force throws. Team are sitting on your RPOs knowing that it's a quick read. Yes I know you guys have a few O-line issues but some can be covered by moving the pocket to take advantage of Stidham athleticism. I think Gus asking him to sit in the pocket and get to his 3rd reads on long developing plays is killing your offense. Arkansas was playing a soft Cover 2 and occasionally bringing a safety into the box. It should of been Barbeque Pig all night.

I agree with some of that, but the statement that “Stidham is actually better than last year” is pretty silly. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Can we play any worse then what we did against Arkansas and still win? This is the same Arkansas who was got blown out of their own stadium by North Texas 44-17. The wasn't as close as the score says.

Edited by auburn4ever

6 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Is there any aspect of the offense that has gotten better vs last year?

No. Absolutely not. 

• Thanks 2

After watching last night’s SNF game, I realized how much we did not appreciate enough KJ.  Granted, RB isn’t our only issue but a star back there covers up (and opens up a lot).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1