Post-Arkansas -- Coordinators Speak

RunInRed

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Because the offense (and I guess, officiating) was the REAL problem.....again.  Just like last year's LSU game. How anybody could lay the blame at the feet of the Defense and Special Teams when the Offense totally disappeared just shows they don't understand the meaning of TEAM effort.

So many sports writers are just like regular fans who don't understand the actual nuances of the game.  They just see a "result" and don't dissect all the factors that go into it. 

If I were the DC and the other side kept hanging my guys out to dry in games like that, I'd be mad too for taking the blame.

It is a team game. We were up 11 in the 3rd quarter against a team with a terrible QB. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

It is a team game. We were up 11 in the 3rd quarter against a team with a terrible QB. 

A terrible QB that the offense just kept giving the ball back to, just like last year. 

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

And I think many of us expected Auburn would be up by 4 TD's by then.  It's football and that's why they play.  The defense just can't shut everybody out. It was LSU afterall and frankly I think we, as fans, underestimated them.  

I mean look at this past Saturday.  If you just look at the stats you might think Arky won....instead of getting hammered by 4 TD's.

So many sports writers are morons anymore.

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

And I think many of us expected Auburn would be up by 4 TD's by then.  It's football and that's why they play.  The defense just can't shut everybody out. It was LSU afterall and frankly I think we, as fans, underestimated them.  

I mean look at this past Saturday.  If you just look at the stats you might think Arky won....instead of getting hammered by 4 TD's.

So many sports writers are morons anymore.

I've noticed that it's actually a fairly popular opinion that the defense is better than the offense, so anytime we lose it is the defense's fault. I don't get that. Like I pointed out in another conversation, Cam Newton and his offense took us to a national title game. And then the defense won it. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've noticed that it's actually a fairly popular opinion that the defense is better than the offense, so anytime we lose it is the defense's fault. I don't get that. Like I pointed out in another conversation, Cam Newton and his offense took us to a national title game. And then the defense won it. 

Exactly.   2010 the D had some good moments, and even a few good games, but the Offense won the natty.  I mean the defense SUCKED against aTm and Johnny Freaking Football in 2013 but Dee Ford gets that one sack at the end and the D win that game.. Remember putting over 40 up against bammer....and losing?  The defense was pedestrian at best until Boom and CKS and now the tables have turned and it's STILL the defenses fault?

14 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Seems like I saw him go off on Big Kat for jumping off sides late in the game.  It looked a little more than necessary.  I don't mind him getting in a few ear holes, but he definitely needs to clean up his side of the ball before going off the rails on anything on the D. 

No, I think he had a right to go off on Big Kat. It was third down, and the D has to be disciplined enough to not give them a free 1st down, especially if it is at a critical time. Steele getting on him was ok with me. Defensive coaches hate mental lapses for than anything....

14 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Hopefully that they need to get their crap together and in a hurry.  Coaches know the way we're playing won't be nearly enough in November.

Its not going to be enough in October too, bc they have to be on the road so much, and that in itself can create issues for an Offense.

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

No, I think he had a right to go off on Big Kat. It was third down, and the D has to be disciplined enough to not give them a free 1st down, especially if it is at a critical time. Steele getting on him was ok with me. Defensive coaches hate mental lapses for than anything....

Big Kat needed to hear it for that mistake.

But the first time all season that we see Gus go off on a player, he's going off on a defensive guy who's played better than half the guys on offense have? Like, maybe if he lit into his under-performing offense like that, they wouldn't be under-performing so badly? Like, if you made a list of the 20 worst things about that game, Big Kat Bryant's mistakes likely wouldn't show up on it.

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Its not going to be enough in October too, bc they have to be on the road so much, and that in itself can create issues for an Offense.

Our October schedule is charmin soft outside of MSU.  You ever been to Oxford?  Not an intimidating place to play.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Our October schedule is charmin soft outside of MSU.  You ever been to Oxford?  Not an intimidating place to play.

Yes i have, but I want to see the offense show they can put together long drives and pull their weight. I've been to many out of town games to see us struggle for a win against an SEC team that we  were strong favorites to beat. 

Yes, we should score a lot against OM, but right now I want to see it on the field in the next 2 games. 

lol. yes, October LOOKS like a soft breeze compared to the hurricanes we will see in November. 

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The only problem I had with it, is that was the only time Ive seen Gus really light into someone. Perhaps he should be more balanced and get in the ear hole of some of these O-linemen who are allowing penetration and disruption every other play. 

100% he should be ripping the Oline for sure . Heck he should be ripping the entire offense , but if he was ripping the D-staff, not good at all . The time I was talking about happened later in the game, I recorded it this morning and find it tonight. 

Justin Garrett tweeted out after we won ...."If only the offense was held to the same standard of our defense"

Correction , just looked it up . He said "Only if offensive players were held to the same standards as defensive players." This was 9/22 at 10:10 pm (Just wanted to clarify)

That spoke volumes to me , i'm not in the know but just watching games it looks like he baby's the offensive players majority of time.

10 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Exactly.   2010 the D had some good moments, and even a few good games, but the Offense won the natty.  I mean the defense SUCKED against aTm and Johnny Freaking Football in 2013 but Dee Ford gets that one sack at the end and the D win that game.. Remember putting over 40 up against bammer....and losing?  The defense was pedestrian at best until Boom and CKS and now the tables have turned and it's STILL the defenses fault?

2010 Natty I remember a little differently.  I agree the Offense got us to the Natty, but the Natty was a Defensive game 22-19.  Oregon stuffs us on the goal line on 4th down and two plays later we get a safety.  Game changer.  Cam fumbles and Oregon ties it up late.  Dye doesn’t go down and runs us into field goal range, who designed that play?

Roof was a genius at half time adjustments, rumor is that he had nothing to do with the original defensive plan and had to make adjustments to keep up in games.  The Iron Bowl that year is an example.  Knocking the ball out of their Heisman trophy winning RB for a touchback and Fairly causing and recovering a fumble in the first half of that game were great individual plays that kept us within striking distance until the Offense could work it’s magic.

Holding Bama to 3 points in the second half was an amazing Defensive win when you realize they only reason they scored 3 points was because of a muffed punt deep in our territory. A you mentioned in an earlier post, it is a TEAM sport.  One side has to support the other, but both sides have to do their jobs.

5 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

Justin Garrett tweeted out after we won ...."If only the offense was held to the same standard of our defense"

I hope our Gus apologists read this before insulting their fellow fans. 

1 minute ago, bmartin3228 said:

100% he should be ripping the Oline for sure . Heck he should be ripping the entire offense , but if he was ripping the D-staff, not good at all . The time I was talking about happened later in the game, I recorded it this morning and find it tonight. 

That spoke volumes to me , i'm not in the know but just watching games it looks like he baby's the offensive players majority of time.

We already know Gus is a stickler for perfection with his offense. He grinds on those players all the time, when they don't execute or make a mistake or are not playing hard.

What we see on the sidelines has nothing to do with what has to be expected of a coach with his offensive players. And I know I have seen Gus jerk a guy on offense who made a bad mental mistake or didn't execute properly. 

The problem is more of getting so many new guys to be in sync on offense. OL replaced most of the starters from last year except Prince and Horton. All but one of his RBs (KMart) are FR, and now his WR's who are FR are having to play a lot now.

OFC there are dumb play calls. But on that 4th and 1, I think it was a delayed draw ( I didnt like that call), but someone missed a block or JS, should have audibled to another play.

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

2010 Natty I remember a little differently.  I agree the Offense got us to the Natty, but the Natty was a Defensive game 22-19.  Oregon stuffs us on the goal line on 4th down and two plays later we get a safety.  Game changer.  Cam fumbles and Oregon ties it up late.  Dye doesn’t go down and runs us into field goal range, who designed that play?

Roof was a genius at half time adjustments, rumor is that he had nothing to do with the original defensive plan and had to make adjustments to keep up in games.  The Iron Bowl that year is an example.  Knocking the ball out of their Heisman trophy winning RB for a touchback and Fairly causing and recovering a fumble in the first half of that game were great individual plays that kept us within striking distance until the Offense could work it’s magic.

Holding Bama to 3 points in the second half was an amazing Defensive win when you realize they only reason they scored 3 points was because of a muffed punt deep in our territory. A you mentioned in an earlier post, it is a TEAM sport.  One side has to support the other, but both sides have to do their jobs.

I agree and stated the D had some good games that year.  And I'm not as hard on Ted Roof as others.  But no Cam, no Natty.

Point is, people (we) pointed to the defense as the biggest deficiency for years (and under EJ it was) but it is definitely not that way now.

If you want to say "team win" or "team loss", yes.  But to blame the Defense for either of the past two LSU games is asinine.

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

We already know Gus is a stickler for perfection with his offense. He grinds on those players all the time, when they don't execute or make a mistake or are not playing hard.

What we see on the sidelines has nothing to do with what has to be expected of a coach with his offensive players. And I know I have seen Gus jerk a guy on offense who made a bad mental mistake or didn't execute properly. 

The problem is more of getting so many new guys to be in sync on offense. OL replaced most of the starters from last year except Prince and Horton. All but one of his RBs (KMart) are FR, and now his WR's who are FR are having to play a lot now.

OFC there are dumb play calls. But on that 4th and 1, I think it was a delayed draw ( I didnt like that call), but someone missed a block or JS, should have audibled to another play.

Well I have read how much of a stickler he is with offense but like I said i'm not sitting at practice or in film room. You would think a perfectionist of the offense would have the offense better prepared every week. 

Was it 2 delay of games , and two timeouts wasted on offense because of not getting play in ?

Anyways hope he and the rest of staff figures it out, and get everybody in sync . Especially the returning guys who have been in the system for awhile .

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree and stated the D had some good games that year.  And I'm not as hard on Ted Roof as others.  But no Cam, no Natty.

Point is, people (we) pointed to the defense as the biggest deficiency for years (and under EJ it was) but it is definitely not that way now.

If you want to say "team win" or "team loss", yes.  But to blame the Defense for either of the past two LSU games is asinine.

The reason for the LSU loses the last two years is that the Offense let LSU hang around until another phase of the game let us down PERIOD.  It was beyond disappointing this year when the same thing happened, I thought we would have learned our lesson, but nope.  How do you go into that game, spot them 10 points and be satisfied with a 11 point lead in the 3rd.  Did Gus say “we have an 11 point lead, I’m like where we’re at” after the 3rd Qtr?

Cam was the leader of that team, no question.  He was looked up to by the offense and defense, won’t be another like him. That was a team Natty if I ever saw one.  Great year.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The reason for the LSU loses the last two years is that the Offense let LSU hang around until another phase of the game let us down PERIOD.  It was beyond disappointing this year when the same thing happened, I thought we would have learned our lesson, but nope.  How do you go into that game, spot them 10 points and be satisfied with a 11 point lead in the 3rd.  Did Gus say “we have an 11 point lead, I’m like where we’re at” after the 3rd Qtr?

Cam was the leader of that team, no question.  He was looked up to by the offense and defense, won’t be another like him. That was a team Natty if I ever saw one.  Great year.

No quarrel with you here.  I think we're both agreeing it's a team game.  But if the media is going to lay blame on one side or the other anyway, I feel they're choosing the wrong side.  That's all.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

No quarrel with you here.  I think we're both agreeing it's a team game.  But if the media is going to lay blame on one side or the other anyway, I feel they're choosing the wrong side.  That's all.

Not disagreeing at all, just bringing a different perspective.  The media is trying get clicks, even if they’re wrong they get the attention.  A win-win for them.

11 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Not disagreeing at all, just bringing a different perspective.  The media is trying get clicks, even if they’re wrong they get the attention.  A win-win for them.

Outta Likes.  So ??

57 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Ole Miss bothers me, because I don’t know if we have the pass coverage personnel to defend what they are going to throw at us.

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hope our Gus apologists read this before insulting their fellow fans. 

Under Malzahn, it’s been pretty normal for the majority of fans to complain about the strongest aspect of the team when that part fails. The number of fans complaining about redzone offense after the 2014 Iron Bowl.

My complaint after Arkansas is totally on Malzahn. CCL, did not call that game. You could see the frustration from JS and CCL in the Booth all game. We used hardly any motion and were very sporratic with our personnel groupings too.

My tin foil hat theory:

Malzahn typically brings his best against Arkansas. Always several new plays and a attacking mindset. I think Malzahn went vanilla against Arkansas for several reasons. A) establish reps for the new OL with the offense with Brahms at Center B.) Not force the issue against his friend Morris (not big on this, but I can’t help but think about it due to how big of a deal Malzahn made of it) C) Address some player concerns about play time. After LSU, I thought we would see more Shivers and Whitlow. Kam Martin got the start and for the most part struggles to get yards after contact. D) the game played out in a manner in which the offense never needed to deviate from its ‘plan’. 

I do not think Arkansas was a reflection of what our offense is capable of, but it is very frustrating that we would approach ANY game like this. I guess we will see in the weeks to come, but that was a valuable game to get live reps at working on generating explosive plays. I hope I am wrong, but I fear that a major locker room issue is close to surfacing. Something worse than what we had with Whitehead in 2014.

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Ole Miss bothers me, because I don’t know if we have the pass coverage personnel to defend what they are going to throw at us.

I don't think they have the o line to stop our pass rush.  Pretty confident we'll do enough to disrupt their timing.

7 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Under Malzahn, it’s been pretty normal for the majority of fans to complain about the strongest aspect of the team when that part fails. The number of fans complaining about redzone offense after the 2014 Iron Bowl.

My complaint after Arkansas is totally on Malzahn. CCL, did not call that game. You could see the frustration from JS and CCL in the Booth all game. We used hardly any motion and were very sporratic with our personnel groupings too.

My tin foil hat theory:

Malzahn typically brings his best against Arkansas. Always several new plays and a attacking mindset. I think Malzahn went vanilla against Arkansas for several reasons. A) establish reps for the new OL with the offense with Brahms at Center B.) Not force the issue against his friend Morris (not big on this, but I can’t help but think about it due to how big of a deal Malzahn made of it) C) Address some player concerns about play time. After LSU, I thought we would see more Shivers and Whitlow. Kam Martin got the start and for the most part struggles to get yards after contact. D) the game played out in a manner in which the offense never needed to deviate from its ‘plan’. 

I do not think Arkansas was a reflection of what our offense is capable of, but it is very frustrating that we would approach ANY game like this. I guess we will see in the weeks to come, but that was a valuable game to get live reps at working on generating explosive plays. I hope I am wrong, but I fear that a major locker room issue is close to surfacing. Something worse than what we had with Whitehead in 2014.

I can’t wait to, one day, see an Auburn football team that isn’t afraid to embarrass its SEC opponents. Sure we beat up on Alabama St teams like that, but we have never stuck our foot on the throat of an SEC team, even when it’s obvious that we can. 

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't think they have the o line to stop our pass rush.  Pretty confident we'll do enough to disrupt their timing.

What pass rush? Lol. We’ve been having to bring the house to get penetration so far. We should have sacked Arkys QB like 10 times.

Archived