My Thoughts From the Stadium (Arkansas)

abw0004

Good morning all,

I hope this finds you well.  We are already a fourth of the way through the regular football season.  That is hard to believe considering it feels like an eternity in the off-season.  Lets get started shall we?

Arkansas Fans:  For as much as the Arkansas forums hate Auburn and Gus Malzahn, the fans that attended the game were very nice.  It was also nice to see how supportive their fans were of their own players, despite their season so far.  They went over and beyond for them which was nice to see.  Once the game ended it was fun to see Gus and Chad Morris' friendship play out when they met at half-field.  It wasn't just a handshake and walk-away.  That is why I was so glad to see Bret Bielema go (the infamous handshake rejection in the first meeting between the two).

Auburn Fans:  We still did not pack out the game, but I expected that with the type of game in the manner of the expected score.  Auburn fans were still extremely supportive all of our players in the player intros, which was really nice to hear.

Special Teams:  After how poorly we played last year, it was really nice to see how well we are playing this year.  Gus made a great move in who coaches the kick returns and punt returns.  I am as excited to watch Ryan Davis return a punt as I was Chris Davis in 2013.  It is like a video game the way he can juke and change direction on a dime.  And what about Iggy?  That guy can run, and I am excited to also continue to watch him excel as a corner.  I also think Arryn Siposs is coming into his own now.  His average for kicks is going up and that is a welcome sight.  We also need to give Anders Carlson some slack.  He will find his groove.

Defense:  For as much as the defense was on the field, they never seemed to tire.  I also noticed well into the fourth quarter the players dancing on the field, which exudes a sense of calm and the pure enjoyment of the game.  I am not sure why Kevin Steele was so upset in his press conference the next day, but he had a well coached game in my opinion.  This does not mean we need to start speculating.  Javaris Davis also had a pick-six that should not have been called back.  I also noticed Dean's back was really continuing to hurt him into the fourth quarter.  I hope everything is alright.

Offense:  For whatever reason our offense just has not clicked yet.  Luckily we do have at least another week to figure it out.  I do think Nick Brahms played well in his first start ever.  People need to realize that the center is the QB of the offensive line, so it takes time to settle in and get the line to mesh.  I noticed in particular Tega was doing very well.  Hopefully things are now clicking for him.  We did not get the push we are still looking for, or get the rush yards, but many people do not know Arkansas, for as poorly as they are doing this year, have a top 15 rush defense.  Many people are also getting on Stidham for regressing this year, but as does any quarterback when the offensive line is not doing extraordinarily well.  A good case in point is the Mississippi State, Georgia, and Alabama games last year.  Very good quarterbacks that played poorly against us.  Why?  We were in the backfield on most plays.  Just something to consider, as the guy behind me kept calling for Willis to come in which just told me he truly has no idea what is going on.

This Forum:  I think some posters on this forum need to take a breather before posting.  People are reacting way to fast and acting irrationally at times.  After the win, some are going as far to saying we are on a sinking ship.  How are we on a sinking ship being a top 10 team?  2012 was a sinking ship.  2018 is not.  We have already beaten a top 10 team and lost by 1 point to another top 10 team.  We have a better record that this point last year.  We had a few guys transfer.  So what?  This is common and will be more common around the sport.  If guys are not starting they will now transfer.  Yes Nate Craig-Meyers was a starter and Gus gave him every opportunity, but just had some difficulty in getting some separation.  But we still need to wish him nothing but the best because he was hard worker here and cared about his team.  Some players on other teams are now quitting mid-game.  It is just how it is and we need to realize it is just a 19 year old doing what they think is best for them.  This isn't out of spite.  Many on this forum did the same thing last year when Kyle Davis was kicked off and Byron Cowart left and we did just fine the rest of the season.  Just relax!

Interesting question:  I was thinking today and looked back at the majority of our losses dating back to 2013.  We typically lose when it is extremely hot and humid outside.  And we start to play better as the weather cools down.  I noticed this trend started right when the indoor practice facility opened.  Probably a coincidence, but I thought I would pose the question for discussion.

Moving Forward:  It is homecoming this week against Southern Mississippi.  No color is asked to be worn for this game, but as always let's continue to show our support!  :wareagle:

Great post as usual @abw0004 on your perspective. There is one thing that has been said more than once in the past week regarding the LSU game. It's a matter of semantics I guess but we did not lose to a Top 10 LSU team. Sorry, I just get into particulars  with things like that. They moved up after they beat Auburn. No offense to you intended. I like your posts each week. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Great post as usual @abw0004 on your perspective. There is one thing that has been said more than once in the past week regarding the LSU game. It's a matter of semantics I guess but we did not lose to a Top 10 LSU team. Sorry, I just get into particulars  with things like that. They moved up after they beat Auburn. No offense to you intended. I like your posts each week. 

No offense taken!  I am glad you are enjoying them!

Sorry, but I've got to do some bragging.  If any of you were there early enough before the game you got to see my grandfather, Don Machen, receive the Walter Gilbert award.  He played football from 58-61.  

2 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Sorry, but I've got to do some bragging.  If any of you were there early enough before the game you got to see my grandfather, Don Machen, receive the Walter Gilbert award.  He played football from 58-61.  

Absolutely!  That is why I am always there 1 hour before kickoff so I can see those things.  Not need to apologize for something like that!

24 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

We aren't on a sinking ship. We are on a ship circling back to mediocrity.

Let me guess.........a ship without a captain that manages to stay somewhat on course in spite of itself....smh

I continue to be amazed at the “we all need to calm down “ type posts...folks, its a message board...its where we come to vent. Its not designed to have everyone cheerful and happy all the time. Thats called Sunday School. If you want that then head to church. If you want real talk and varying opinions then come here. And there is hyperbole on both sides. I’ve seen very few “sinking ship” type posts and more “here we go again” posts which are perfectly reasonable given Gus’s track record and how the offense has looked so far. I believe Gus is overall a good coach who is just a little in over his head and has trouble adapting his offense. He will continue to be what he has been....average mostly with the occasional flash of greatness...which is basically Auburn football for a majority of its existence....all I’m saying is if we want more than that then Gus isn’t going to be the guy....some on here seem perfectly happy with average and if so then ok. But don’t try to control posts on here with the whole “calm down”stuff.  I don’t begrudge an eternal optimist like 64 his sunshine pumping, in fact I’m glad we have him so we can have the lively back and forth banter. So don’t begrudge thise of us who like to remove the orange and blue glasses sometimes and see things for what they are instead of what we wish they were. 

50 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I continue to be amazed at the “we all need to calm down “ type posts...folks, its a message board...its where we come to vent. Its not designed to have everyone cheerful and happy all the time. Thats called Sunday School. If you want that then head to church. If you want real talk and varying opinions then come here. And there is hyperbole on both sides. I’ve seen very few “sinking ship” type posts and more “here we go again” posts which are perfectly reasonable given Gus’s track record and how the offense has looked so far. I believe Gus is overall a good coach who is just a little in over his head and has trouble adapting his offense. He will continue to be what he has been....average mostly with the occasional flash of greatness...which is basically Auburn football for a majority of its existence....all I’m saying is if we want more than that then Gus isn’t going to be the guy....some on here seem perfectly happy with average and if so then ok. But don’t try to control posts on here with the whole “calm down”stuff.  I don’t begrudge an eternal optimist like 64 his sunshine pumping, in fact I’m glad we have him so we can have the lively back and forth banter. So don’t begrudge thise of us who like to remove the orange and blue glasses sometimes and see things for what they are instead of what we wish they were. 

so we are turning into the rant now? there is nothing wrong with being upset with your team it is just in the way it is presented. are you saying it is ok for folks to wish the team loses the rest of it's games so gus can be runnoft? no one is trying to silence anyone. folks are just trying to remind some of you to stay classy...............

25 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

so we are turning into the rant now? there is nothing wrong with being upset with your team it is just in the way it is presented. are you saying it is ok for folks to wish the team loses the rest of it's games so gus can be runnoft? no one is trying to silence anyone. folks are just trying to remind some of you to stay classy...............

Please tell me where on earth I said it’s ok to wish the team loses the rest of its games???? And point out any “unclassy” post please? Ridiculous 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

Please tell me where on earth I said it’s ok to wish the team loses the rest of its games???? And point out any “unclassy” post please? Ridiculous 

pay attention. first i never mentioned any names and was not thinking of you.i am speaking in general and many unclassy statements were made. you either feel guilty or you are just trying to start something. i have no problem calling out anyone by name but i have not yet and i never said YOU specifically did any of the above. not sure why you think i am pointing you out.

Non football observation: The band needs to change up their halftime show.  The guitar hero, video game theme or whatever is not good. The audio doesn't sync up with the video board correctly and it makes the guitar player look like hes faking it. 

3 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Non football observation: The band needs to change up their halftime show.  The guitar hero, video game theme or whatever is not good. The audio doesn't sync up with the video board correctly and it makes the guitar player look like hes faking it. 

It was pretty bad and the guitar is so drowned out that it makes no sense for him to be playing

Well the tone in my section was pretty negative towards the offensive coaches and Gus.  Kind of took some enjoyment out being there. One fellow and his two kids left early in the game out of frustration after a bad offensive play.  Couple of guys dropping F bombs and others adding scattered boos all game for play calls and lack of production.  I was just trying to enjoy being in the stadium with my kids because we only make a 1 or 2 games a year.  I understand why folks are mad though. Our stability ($) and talent level should produce and look more finished at this point in the season. Regardless after finishing the 8 hour drive back home and washing the love bugs off my car in the dark last night I think I'm done for the season.  Cost/aggravation not worth the satisfaction received. 

17 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I guess I am biased because I am a huge Halo fan and just about lost it when I heard the theme song music.  :laugh:

34 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

pay attention. first i never mentioned any names and was not thinking of you.i am speaking in general and many unclassy statements were made. you either feel guilty or you are just trying to start something. i have no problem calling out anyone by name but i have not yet and i never said YOU specifically did any of the above. not sure why you think i am pointing you out.

Ok dude.

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Ok dude.

please.........call me dood.......................lol.

3 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

As long as there is no ceiling there will always be a delay in sound........its why convertibles have terrible sound quality in the world of car audio?

Archived