ESPN story, Myers, Chinese team

I heard something about this at the games yesterday.  espn.com/Olympics/softball/story.  I found the story just by doing search "clint myers".  A lot of information to take in.  

edit...maybe someone can fix the link to the article since it is above my pay grade.

Interesting....former player urging the town not to make the deal though I truly wonder if she is really worried about Chinese players being at risk by having CM and sons coaching them.   Interesting too that Hunter Veach….brother of former AU player Kendall Veach is part of the proposed coaching staff.    I'm sure in today's climate, Gibbs made a persuasive argument though none of the Myers clan was ever indicted or convicted or anything criminal......some very bad judgment for sure but apparently nothing criminal.

Meanwhile,  US softball interests should be worried because I expect Clint will be able to turn out a cracker jack team from the talent he will get from China...and it will happen somewhere, if not in PC Auburn.  

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Interesting....former player urging the town not to make the deal though I truly wonder if she is really worried about Chinese players being at risk by having CM and sons coaching them.   Interesting too that Hunter Veach….brother of former AU player Kendall Veach is part of the proposed coaching staff.    I'm sure in today's climate, Gibbs made a persuasive argument though none of the Myers clan was ever indicted or convicted or anything criminal......some very bad judgment for sure but apparently nothing criminal.

Meanwhile,  US softball interests should be worried because I expect Clint will be able to turn out a cracker jack team from the talent he will get from China...and it will happen somewhere, if not in PC Auburn.  

What does criminal have to do with it?

With what Corey Meyers did with any of those girls, which got him fired, and his father to retire, still is fresh in Auburn's mind. It was wrong, even though it was not criminal. 

Are you being sarcastic with your PC Auburn comment? Do you think Auburn or Opelika should have allowed the Meyers to work with the Chinese girls here? Just wondering.

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

What does criminal have to do with it?

With what Corey Meyers did with any of those girls, which got him fired, and his father to retire, still is fresh in Auburn's mind. It was wrong, even though it was not criminal. 

Are you being sarcastic with your PC Auburn comment? Do you think Auburn or Opelika should have allowed the Meyers to work with the Chinese girls here? Just wondering.

Why not?    Set up a "softball school"....this was not on AU campus.....

This was a request to establish a legal business and I'm guessing they would pay for the use of  the field.....or they should at least.    

I could accept the towns might not rent out the rec fields …to anyone for a business purpose...but just wondering if they do a background check on everyone coaching a team or group that uses the rec. fields.?  

And what does Chinese have to do with it....we have foreign students at AU and have hosted Olympic swimmers from many countries. 

Saw an article in Opelika-Auburn stating they (Opelika Parks and Recreation) had determined not to move forward with the any proposal prior to contact by Gibbs.  Stated there was difficulty in doing a contract due to lack of information provided by Myers, difficulty in communications with people in China and not enough time to have any potential contract evaluated by the City.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Why not?    Set up a "softball school"....this was not on AU campus.....

This was a request to establish a legal business and I'm guessing they would pay for the use of  the field.....or they should at least.    

I could accept the towns might not rent out the rec fields …to anyone for a business purpose...but just wondering if they do a background check on everyone coaching a team or group that uses the rec. fields.?  

And what does Chinese have to do with it....we have foreign students at AU and have hosted Olympic swimmers from many countries. 

There is a very close  business/social/political relationship with Auburn University, Auburn and Opelika.

The climate in this world now is a lot different, in regards to sexual abuse, and inappropriate relationships with an employee and students as in this case. 

So put the 2 together, and whether it was a good business deal and project, the perception of allowing Chinese women to be coached by 2 ex Auburn coaches who were let go because of inappropriate and unethical relationships of a Auburn coach and a college female student/athlete was not going to allow this to happen. It was going to be a media nightmare.

This is a small town and they take their perception seriously. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

It was going to be a media nightmare.

Well no doubt about that...

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I thought these were two far out cities..this family is composed of imbeciles if they thought this would already be blown over locally.

Seems that the local politicians did not think  this was a lingering issue either since the Chinese and the Myers group had received enough encouragement that they had made all kinds of arrangements for the players in the area for accommodation and more.... and it was not until  Ms Gibbs raised the issue that they got concerned.  I agree that it was tone deaf to include Corey in the "package" .   

• WarTiger changed the title to ESPN story, Myers, Chinese team

Will be interested to see how this plays out.  Either Clint still doesn't understand that Corey is persona non grata  in softball in America, or he doesn't think he can do it without him.

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

Well no doubt about that...

Seems that the local politicians did not think  this was a lingering issue either since the Chinese and the Myers group had received enough encouragement that they had made all kinds of arrangements for the players in the area for accommodation and more.... and it was not until  Ms Gibbs raised the issue that they got concerned.  I agree that it was tone deaf to include Corey in the "package" .   

In the OANOW article I referenced in my post above the Opelika Parks and Recreation Board indicates they had decided not to proceed prior to contact by Gibbs.  However, it is surprising to me they would have even entertained this proposal and  been involved in any type of negotiation.  

7 hours ago, slot canyon said:

In the OANOW article I referenced in my post above the Opelika Parks and Recreation Board indicates they had decided not to proceed prior to contact by Gibbs.  However, it is surprising to me they would have even entertained this proposal and  been involved in any type of negotiation.  

Not sure I believe the Parks Board.....can't imagine Clint or the Chinese sponsors making such financial commitments without some encouragement from someone who had involvement in the matter. 

But looks dead as far as Lee County is concerned. 

18 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not sure I believe the Parks Board.....can't imagine Clint or the Chinese sponsors making such financial commitments without some encouragement from someone who had involvement in the matter. 

But looks dead as far as Lee County is concerned. 

Bingo...it was all a "go" until.  Hearing some of the businesses may pursue for lost revenue.  Guess we'll see.

You all are slipping not one person noticed this!

They're bringing in a chef, and Corey has found a Japanese steakhouse that's not open at lunch where the chef is going to prepare their food," bureau official Cindy Pugh said earlier this week.

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I saw it, but figured it was nol prossed if they couldn't rent the fields.  Who is Cindy Pugh?  An official of what bureau? 

Auburn-Opelika Tourism Bureau.  As I stated above, I am surprised the proposal even got off the ground.  When people begin to see $$$$$$ coming in the front door it is not unusual to see common sense going out the back door. 

• 1 month later...

Justin's World of Softball has a 10/29 article stating that apparently the Myers deal was canned and they have hired a staff that includes Michael Lotief the former Louisana-Lafayette coach who was forced out amid various allegations at that school.  This of course had an impact on AU due to Coach Glasco taking the job.  Article does not state the location where the coaching/practices will occur. 

Archived