Lawrence the new starter at Clemson

gr82b4au

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Why would anyone want anyone who quit on a team midyear? Doesn't that matter to any body else?

Why would anyone want anybody who has been kicked off their previous team? This is a business decision. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why would anyone want anybody who has been kicked off their previous team? This is a business decision. 

By all accounts those guys were model teammates and earned the right to return by going to JUCO and spending a year in perdition first.

Taking a guy who quits on his teammates after being demoted is a different thing all together. It's a mentality problem that's becoming rampant in our culture. 

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

By all accounts those guys were model teammates and earned the right to return by going to JUCO and spending a year in perdition first.

Taking a guy who quits on his teammates after being demoted is a different thing all together. It's a mentality problem that's becoming rampant in our culture. 

Model teammate wouldn’t have gotten kicked off their team. 

And I am not dissing them. They redeemed themselves and made the best of their opportunity but if you are willing to overlook that then you can’t honestly be crabby about this.

This is a new day and age. These kids all dream of going pro.  Not sure they dream of graduating and putting their degree in General Studies to use or whatever they call their football degree at Clemson. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

And I am not dissing them. They redeemed themselves and made the best of their opportunity but if you are willing to overlook that then you can’t honestly be crabby about this.

I wasn't willing to overlook that at the time, but the guys made the most of the opportunity and earned my respect in the process. 

I'm honestly pretty salty because our team is so terrible and so many people think that a QB would solve the problem. It's way deeper than that. There are about 5 guys that Gus could call that would help our team, and they are all making 7 figures per year in the NFL.

42 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

There are about 5 guys that Gus could call that would help our team, and they are all making 7 figures per year in the NFL.

All of them you are thinking about are probably offensive linemen....huh?    :)

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I shall file a report that Kelly Bryant stole a laptop immediately.  No need for criminal charges, just get it on the record.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I understand the need for Bryant, but are we always going to kick the can down the road?  Develop somebody Gus.

Aw hell, when kickin the can down the road gets you 8 wins and $7mm/yr, why develop a qb?

:whistle:

1 hour ago, DAG said:

It doesn’t matter what Nix would want. This offense his catered towards someone of Bryant’s ability. Bo Nix would have to be extremely excellent to start over an experienced Kelly Bryant. 

Exactly.  One year of Bryant could be a tremendous bridge for the program to let our young QBs work.  People forget how successful Wisconsin was by bringing in Russell Wilson for a year.  He had a ton of experience and made them a contender immediately.  We should have pretty much the entire offense returning next year except QB.  Give me the experienced winner all day in that scenario.

Obviously Dabo is just not doing a good job of developing QB’s. This is all Dabo’s fault; I mean Dabo is like a high school coach trying to develope at the college level.

Dabo needs to hire someone that can devolope QB’s! What is the matter with Dabo?

On 9/26/2018 at 12:36 PM, I_M4_AU said:

I understand the need for Bryant, but are we always going to kick the can down the road?  Develop somebody Gus.

I'm not upset at bringing in a transfer every couple years. It gives us the best chance to win. We get upset at Gus for trying to fit square pegs into round holes with his personnel, well, I think this is similar. Gus developing QBs is his square peg and winning games is the round hole.

Just give us the best chance to win. I don't care how good QBs get here as long as they get here and are able to produce before our staff taints them like they always do. It's part of who Gus is at this point that he cannot develop QBs. I'd rather us not try to force him to do this and just get the best QBs into our program no matter which road leads them here.

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm not upset at bringing in a transfer every couple years. It gives us the best chance to win. We get upset at Gus for trying to fit square pegs into round holes with his personnel, well, I think this is similar. Gus developing QBs is his square peg and winning games is the round hole.

Just give us the best chance to win. I don't care how good QBs get here as long as they get here and are able to produce before our staff taints them like they always do. It's part of who Gus is at this point that he cannot develop QBs. I'd rather us not try to force him to do this and just get the best QBs into our program no matter which road leads them here.

I do understand the need and really don’t question it if he comes. Gus, for the second time in his career, has a returning QB this year and it’s not looking real good.  NM was the other and the win/loss record did not improve, yes there were other issues I know, but the team did not improve as a whole.

The QB position is somewhat important and to have stability one would think it would be a priority to have a vision for the future and picking up a JUCO/transfer every year doesn’t seem to have a stabilizing effect.  JMO, but I would prefer some stability with that position.  Having said that, the times, they are a-changing.

On 9/26/2018 at 1:44 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Why would anyone want anyone who quit on a team midyear? Doesn't that matter to any body else?

It matters to me. This is what happens when you get kids thinking that playing CFB is only about getting to the NFL or that CFB is a business. Same thing with kids in general at college, when they think it's only about getting a job and that they are "customers." It's just a bad analogy.

Don't you think he has an obligation to his family first to do whatever gives him the best chance at a financially secure future? 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I do understand the need and really don’t question it if he comes. Gus, for the second time in his career, has a returning QB this year and it’s not looking real good.  NM was the other and the win/loss record did not improve, yes there were other issues I know, but the team did not improve as a whole.

The QB position is somewhat important and to have stability one would think it would be a priority to have a vision for the future and picking up a JUCO/transfer every year doesn’t seem to have a stabilizing effect.  JMO, but I would prefer some stability with that position.  Having said that, the times, they are a-changing.

You aren't wrong. I'm just personally ready to accept that Gus can't actually develop a QB and prepared to adjust our program's plan to minimize this deficiency of our staff's as much as possible moving forward.

Makes no sense that the best case for Gus' QB development is that it's debatable if NM stayed the same or got worse in his 2nd year under Gus. Every other QB has essentially gotten worse. 

Thankfully Bo Nix has someone who knows a thing or 2 about Quarterbacking in his family

He could leave a team and save himself 1 more year of opportunity or quit chasing his dream that could potentially change him and his family's life forever

Easy choice IMO. Doesn't matter what his pro prospects are, if he leaves Clemson he's keeping the dream alive. If he stays at Clemson he's "quitting" any chance at achieving his goal.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

He could leave a team and save himself 1 more year of opportunity or quit chasing his dream that could potentially change him and his family's life forever

Easy choice IMO. Doesn't matter what his pro prospects are, if he leaves Clemson he's keeping the dream alive. If he stays at Clemson he's "quitting" any chance at achieving his goal.

Agree. Although, it wouldn’t make him a quitter if he stayed, Wolk...

1 minute ago, wcware said:

Does anyone know if there is any interest from Kelly or our staff at this point. I know it is probably way too early to tell.

Not yet. Arky is probably the favorite to get him though.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Not yet. Arky is probably the favorite to get him though.

Makes sense. Man the new red-shirt rule is changing college football right before our eyes. I just hope we are ahead of the curve and are willing to do whatever is necessary to use the rule to Auburn’s advantage 

3 minutes ago, wcware said:

Makes sense. Man the new red-shirt rule is changing college football right before our eyes. I just hope we are ahead of the curve and are willing to do whatever is necessary to use the rule to Auburn’s advantage 

Exactly. We have to stay in front of the pack on this rule. The rule really isn’t being implemented like I’d like though. I prefer the extra year of eligibility for most of our recruits. I also want more bodies for relief during the last stretch. I want players like McCreary playing on tbe back end. The best teaching moments will come from that time frame. 

9 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Obviously Dabo is just not doing a good job of developing QB’s. This is all Dabo’s fault; I mean Dabo is like a high school coach trying to develope at the college level.

Dabo needs to hire someone that can devolope QB’s! What is the matter with Dabo?

You may have something.....Bryant is the third highly recruited QB to leave Clemson in just the past 2 years...:-\   

Archived