Immigration

NolaAuTiger

Some of you know that I am representing Asylum applicants this semester as an accredited law student under federal law. I can say that after today, I have truly seen just how "screwed up" the process is. And to be honest, a lot of the hurdles I am facing were not present under the previous administration. That said, the previous admin did have troubles of their own (removing more applicants than any other administration in modern history). Nonetheless, my patience may have run out today with the current state of things - ahem, looking at you Sessions. 

What is even more troubling is the fact that republicans and democrats have been failing all of us for years on immigration. Take the EB-5 program (investor visas), for example. The backlogging is ridiculous because of how many files are on the docket. Sadly, the program will likely extinguish (after nearly 30 years), because it is no longer functional in the context of its initial intended purpose. 

If the very policy purposes for which our immigration procedures were initially set in place are continually being undermined, then what exactly is the explanation? I do not care if you maintain a "humanitarian" theory on immigration or an "economic" one. We can all be objectively fed up with this. 

Anyways, thoughts? Why has congress been so lazy? 

I certainly agree. I've said for a long time the last think you want to do is get involved with the so-called JD.

I think Sessions was a good Senator but a pitiful AG. He was recognized at halftime in last weeek's FB game and got lots of boos. I hate that but he deserves it.

3 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Anyways, thoughts? Why has congress been so lazy? 

Thanks for sharing this.  I don't have your legal knowledge on this matter, but if you have the time to educate the forum you've got at least one reader.

As far as Congress and laziness, that's a mischaracterization, in my opinion.  It isn't that Congress is lazy, but that it lacks incentive to do anything.  If a liberal congressman pushes solutions based on his philosophy, that congressman is tagged an open boarders, job destroying anti-patriot.  If a conservative proposes solutions based on his philosophy, that congressman is labeled a heartless, ignorant xenophobe or racist.

I guess that doesn't matter much though.  The way maps are drawn now congressmen frequently only have to say what their base wants to hear and point the finger at the opposing side, blaming them for any inaction on important issues.  It is easy enough to fact check voting records, but people/voters are becoming deaf to facts that don't agree with their chosen narrative.

So what are they incentivized to do?  Redraw election maps whenever possible to fortify the strongholds, keep the constituency angry at strawmen and dial for donor dollars?

My vote for the past few years has been based on which candidate gets us closer to the overturn of Citizens United and the reduction of gerrymandering.  Until these things are accomplished I don't see much change in incentives.

By the way, I know we don't agree on a lot politically, but what you're doing sounds like a lot of necessary good.  Thank you for that.

14 hours ago, HVAU said:

As far as Congress and laziness, that's a mischaracterization, in my opinion

I can accept that. Be it laziness, or an unwillingness to compromise, the result is likely the same.

Notably, the ones who suffer the most from all of this are the very ones for whom our immigration policies were intended to benefit. When you look from the broad spectrum (economic theories and humanitarian theories), thats us and immigrants

11 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:
15 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

What is even more troubling is the fact that republicans and democrats have been failing all of us for years on immigration.

Combined "forces" for different reasons....many republicans happy for a cheap source of labor

And to my surprise nobody seems to see that minorities (Latino and Af-Am) already in the US are the losers with this current immigration non-policies because it is they who are being undercut by cheap labor coming in almost unabated. 

Entry level jobs in just about every area around here are mostly now held by Latinos ….who to their credit,  show good work ethic and reliability and whom small business employers can always count on to bring a "friend" for an interview when  a new job opening arises. 

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Entry level jobs in just about every area around here are mostly now held by Latinos ….who to their credit,  show good work ethic and reliability and whom small business employers can always count on to bring a "friend" for an interview when  a new job opening arises. 

Problem is, even when states have cracked down and undocumented immigrants leave and there are plentiful entry level jobs around, regular ol' Americans won't take the work.  Even when they raise the pay, they can't get enough folks to go out and pick crops for instance because it's hard, hot, manual labor and they think it's beneath them.

As with many things, Americans think they can have their cake and eat it too.  We want cheap s*** but don't like immigrants coming in to do the manual labor at a lower cost or having things built in China or Mexico.  We want a balanced budget but not if it means closing an unnecessary military base in my town, dropping an unneeded weapons system or piece of equipment because the plant is in my state, or cutting a government program I benefit from.

33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Combined "forces" for different reasons....many republicans happy for a cheap source of labor

And to my surprise nobody seems to see that minorities (Latino and Af-Am) already in the US are the losers with this current immigration non-policies because it is they who are being undercut by cheap labor coming in almost unabated. 

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Problem is, even when states have cracked down and undocumented immigrants leave and there are plentiful entry level jobs around, regular ol' Americans won't take the work.  Even when they raise the pay, they can't get enough folks to go out and pick crops for instance because it's hard, hot, manual labor and they think it's beneath them.

As with many things, Americans think they can have their cake and eat it too.  We want cheap s*** but don't like immigrants coming in to do the manual labor at a lower cost or having things built in China or Mexico.  We want a balanced budget but not if it means closing an unnecessary military base in my town, dropping an unneeded weapons system or piece of equipment because the plant is in my state, or cutting a government program I benefit from.

You guys would be surprised at how many Asylum seekers hold professional degrees from their respective countries, and even from universities here via student visas. Take the Middle East for example: lots of doctors. Or countries in North Africa: lots of engineers. These people are brilliant in their fields. Education is their way to a better life. But they get here, and have immense difficulty finding a job that corresponds to their training, so they take an hourly working manual labor, I.e., construction labor or janitorial. Still have to support their derivatives. It’s truly baffling.

4 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

You guys would be surprised at how many Asylum seekers hold professional degrees from their respective countries, and even from universities here via student visas. Take the Middle East for example: lots of doctors. Or countries in North Africa: lots of engineers. These people are brilliant in their fields. Education is their way to a better life. But they get here, and have immense difficulty finding a job that corresponds to their training, so they take an hourly working manual labor, I.e., construction labor or janitorial. Still have to support their derivatives. It’s truly baffling.

Obviously we don't see that here in NC....but back when I was working I had a couple technicians from Europe on our payroll with 'green cards" because we could not find the skills here in the states.     Most were here for quite a while and were able get extensions.     I am fully in favor of immigrants with valuable or useful skills coming to the US but using uncontrolled immigration as a means of filling non-skilled jobs or entry level jobs at low wages is not good those who are displaced by them.   

And...generally over history I guess it has mostly been the energetic and ambitious who take the big risk to immigrate to another country despite some generalizations to the contrary so maybe it's natural that many of them seem willing to take jobs that others find beneath them, put their kids in public schools and have them educated to speak English.  Around here the next generation of offspring seem to do well. But the numbers are relatively small in our rural county and we have been able to absorb them easily....and beneficially too I guess. 

48 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I am fully in favor of immigrants with valuable or useful skills coming to the US but using uncontrolled immigration as a means of filling non-skilled jobs or entry level jobs at low wages is not good those who are displaced by them.   

That's interesting. In Louisiana, the immigrants who have "done it the right way" and work an hourly-pay job actually make more than the median hourly wage rate of U.S. citizens in the area. I think the idea that they are justing filling low-wage jobs to the detriment of U.S. citizens can be a misnomer. It varies. Sometimes that is the case, while other times it is not. Certainly, I understand your position, and it is a valid one. It is just unique and varies on a case by case basis IMO.

I do not support the unlawful hiring of undocumented immigrants to be sure. It is unfair to U.S. citizens, as well as immigrants who are here with lawful status. Most of my clients are from the Middle East or North Africa. Many times, they will take on research jobs in medicine, or even oil and gas. I have a friend whose father was at the top of his field in engineering, from Sierra Leone. Shockingly could not find an engineering firm that would hire him, so he cleans schools in the afternoons. Don't really have any clients from Central America. 

On 9/25/2018 at 8:23 AM, TitanTiger said:

Why would those "regular ol' Americans" work at one of those jobs when they can sit at home and do nothing and collect basically the same amount of money?  We are a lazy society and we have allowed it.

Archived