Pass to set up the run

SKIPPER_01

Poor system fit or not, you gotta hit SOMEBODY on this play. I don't know if the guy the LG is supposed to block is about to hammer him here but it looks like these WRs/Sal are SO open that even a full second prior to this snapshot he could've hit the underneath guys

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, alexava said:

Al was hired to look at opposite defenses. Not develop our offense. But chip was hired to develop qbs. It’s impossible to see this on tv. But could be very well the primary reason for our problems. They are not going to throw JS under the bus in pressers but this might explain a lot. Even makes NCM exit more of a not on coaches but qb thing. If so kinda shows his character for not throwing the qb under the bus. He knows when he’s open better than us couch coaches. 

I believe you but if that's truly it, it was a wasted opportunity to improve the passing game.  I think Al baby ended up underrated since the BBQ gang reigned him in.  Just my opinion though...

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

Al was hired to look at opposite defenses. Not develop our offense. But chip was hired to develop qbs. It’s impossible to see this on tv. But could be very well the primary reason for our problems. They are not going to throw JS under the bus in pressers but this might explain a lot. Even makes NCM exit more of a not on coaches but qb thing. If so kinda shows his character for not throwing the qb under the bus. He knows when he’s open better than us couch coaches. 

I think someone posted on here that there was a players meeting and NCM (and maybe a few others) voiced their displeasure with the number of targets they received in the pass game and were told by Stidham and others leading the meeting (Marlon, Ryan Davis, Cox, Deshaun Davis) that they need to earn their targets. Probably not what he wanted to hear, if true, after busting his butt blocking on the edge for 2 years

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Poor system fit or not, you gotta hit SOMEBODY on this play. I don't know if the guy the LG is supposed to block is about to hammer him here but it looks like these WRs/Sal are SO open that even a full second prior to this snapshot he could've hit the underneath guys

That's it.  It can be a game of micro-seconds (is there such a thing) and a really good QB would already be in a throwing motion in that photo.

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If this is "normal" and not just a one time situation that happened to be pointed out, then that explains more of CCL's reactions in the booth and maybe why NCM left and Sal considered it (Sal appears to be the open underneath receiver) and maybe why Stids showed so much frustration.

I'm wondering if the WR's are getting onto Stids during the week....wonder if that's the "players meeting", etc.  If that play resulted in a sack as he's dead looking at two of the open guys, that's inexcusable.

But ... Again, this is only one snapshot.  What can truly be gleaned from that?

Good point but you can’t get more open 3 guys. His feet appear set to pull the trigger to the left and he would not even need feet to hit the one on the right. I would suspect this is the most obvious snapshot but more plays with options as well. Just one first down completion can build a drive and create more opposed to trotting the punt team out. We always seem so tightly wound with a lead. 

Just now, AUsince72 said:

That's it.  It can be a game of micro-seconds (is there such a thing) and a really good QB would already be in a throwing motion in that photo.

Out of reactions again (can we do something about this?????? Why am I limited in the amount of love I can give my fellow fam??)

but

Great point. Either he doesn't have the instincts, lacks confidence in the guys around him (including staff/playcalls), or is just scared to let it fly. The last 2 could be intertwined. It's got to be something, I mean this looks like a Jeremy Johnson level type of bad decision here. JJ was throwing directly to LBs and Stidham is apparently not throwing at all with 3 wiiiiide open options on a play. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

Good point but you can’t get more open 3 guys. His feet appear set to pull the trigger to the left and he would not even need feet to hit the one on the right. I would suspect this is the most obvious snapshot but more plays with options as well. Just one first down completion can build a drive and create more opposed to trotting the punt team out. We always seem so tightly wound with a lead. 

Gus seems like a tightly wound guy during games and a team generally takes on the personality of it's coach so......

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I think someone posted on here that there was a players meeting and NCM (and maybe a few others) voiced their displeasure with the number of targets they received in the pass game and were told by Stidham and others leading the meeting (Marlon, Ryan Davis, Cox, Deshaun Davis) that they need to earn their targets. Probably not what he wanted to hear, if true, after busting his butt blocking on the edge for 2 years

I think he did earn targets. I honestly don’t know why he didn’t get them but McElroy might be on to it.  

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I think he did earn targets. I honestly don’t know why he didn’t get them but McElroy might be on to it.  

I'm right there with you. If anyone deserved targets it was NCM for doing all the dirty work on the outside for multiple seasons.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Gus seems like a tightly wound guy during games and a team generally takes on the personality of it's coach so......

That’s just lacking confidence. I saw so much confidence from Gus earlier in his career I can’t let myself believe he now has none. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

That’s just lacking confidence. I saw so much confidence from Gus earlier in his career I can’t let myself believe he now has none. 

His confidence fizzled out with Jeremy Johnson's. He has been a total shell of himself since that fiasco.

I don't think I've ever seen coach less confident in his team than what Gus trotted out there in 2016 vs Clemson. That was a legendary.

To be fair, he seemed to be feeling his mojo pretty hard late last season when he was talking crap to Kirby but the bit of juice he regained flew out the window with Kerryon's injury. Ugh.

I know this is beating a dead horse (Zeek haha) but this was pointed out in the ARK game as well. Early in the ARK game on the second and third drives, they ended in punts when Stidham missed wide open targets. He had plenty of time and just did not throw good balls. Go back and watch the drives. Something is wrong with him. This was early in the game and he had time, so there was no reason to panic. He is just "off". He has to be hurt, right? He does not look like the same QB that ended last year. He looks like the QB from the Clemson game last year... even when he has time. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

If you have to coach a qb to sling this one, he has no instinct. Sack, no way. This is where Sean White was good I would not bet the bus Nix would unload this too. 

Could this behavior have been drummed into his head by coaches? Ball security is obviously important but some element of risk is needed for reward. Has the coaching staff made JS so risk averse he has become gun shy?

29 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I know this is beating a dead horse (Zeek haha) but this was pointed out in the ARK game as well. Early in the ARK game on the second and third drives, they ended in punts when Stidham missed wide open targets. He had plenty of time and just did not throw good balls. Go back and watch the drives. Something is wrong with him. This was early in the game and he had time, so there was no reason to panic. He is just "off". He has to be hurt, right? He does not look like the same QB that ended last year. He looks like the QB from the Clemson game last year... even when he has time. 

I'm afraid he got the big head, engage to some rich chick, going pro....blah blah.

Just like I just said in another thread, I'd be repping Cord with the 1s this week and he would play significantly against usm. 

Maybe that would get Stidham's head out of his ass. 

But I'd be looking for a quarterback. Cause right now Auburn doesn't have one.

Stidham may need to get drafted so he isn't benched at AU in 2020.

5 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Now that I saw this snapshot, it makes sense. This is the play that was 3rd down, JS sits and sits, doesnt pull the trigger, feels pressure, and tried to escape but gets sacked.

Then the tv crew pans to the coaches box and shows Lindsey throwing up his hands, and rubbing his face, as he is so frustrated after this play. He sees what we see, that JS had 2 very open WRs, and 1 that if he leads him, is maybe a TD or at least a 30+ pass play. 

I sense there are more of these type snapshots. The QB needs to make these plays.

46 minutes ago, selias said:

Could this behavior have been drummed into his head by coaches? Ball security is obviously important but some element of risk is needed for reward. Has the coaching staff made JS so risk averse he has become gun shy?

I do not think that is it.  That pass he threw that was almost a spectacular catch before being ruled incomplete was definitely not a safe throw.  If I recall correctly, it was basically thrown into triple coverage.

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I do not think that is it.  That pass he threw that was almost a spectacular catch before being ruled incomplete was definitely not a safe throw.  If I recall correctly, it was basically thrown into triple coverage.

I do remember one in the LSU game like that, but in the Arky game. Could be wrong. After Stidham’s two int’s in the LSU game the coaches could have instilled the fear of God in him if he turns the ball over again.  I’m not sure how Stidham could digress so much this year under our coaching. 

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I do remember one in the LSU game like that, but in the Arky game. Could be wrong. After Stidham’s two int’s in the LSU game the coaches could have instilled the fear of God in him if he turns the ball over again.  I’m not sure how Stidham could digress so much this year under our coaching. 

It was in the LSU game.  Danielson was flipping back and forth between catch and incomplete the whole time it was reviewed.  It ended up incomplete, but a penalty gave the first down.  I do not think Gus or Chip would be beating the anti-interception song into his head after a bad game against LSU, at least not to the extent that it would cause him to hold on to the ball with three open targets (screenshot in this thread) in the following game.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Even Gary Danielson was correct in saying that the strength of this team is the QB and the WRs. Which, of course, means we should make it a point to run right at a loaded box with our freshman RB as often as possible. 

I facepalmed, but felt the need to let you know it wasn't directed at you. Rather, it was directed at the gameplan you described.

I'm probably going to run out of my reactions for the day on this thread alone.

1 hour ago, selias said:

If you can’t take some element of risk you can’t play the game. You rarely get any more open targets other than bubble screens. Especially in the middle. You have to let that fly. This was the game to drop the worry about risk and build confidence. 

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

If you can’t take some element of risk you can’t play the game. You rarely get any more open targets other than bubble screens. Especially in the middle. You have to let that fly. This was the game to drop the worry about risk and build confidence. 

I don't disagree

36 minutes ago, alexava said:

Other teams damn sure throw these passes against us. 

And those passes are there for JS, looking at snapshots of plays ,where there are WRs in the middle, left and right, and 1 WR doing a post, and all were open. He simply didn't focus and see it, or he prematurely felt pressure and scrambled. 

That was on the QB, so I see where OC CL is running patterns for JS to throw to, but different things cause it to fail, (JS holding the ball, OL collapse,  Pressure..etc)...

....But JS has to let it fly like someone posted here, bc WRs are open to him, and I don't see where the HC or OC is limiting him...

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Now that I saw this snapshot, it makes sense. This is the play that was 3rd down, JS sits and sits, doesnt pull the trigger, feels pressure, and tried to escape but gets sacked.

Then the tv crew pans to the coaches box and shows Lindsey throwing up his hands, and rubbing his face, as he is so frustrated after this play. He sees what we see, that JS had 2 very open WRs, and 1 that if he leads him, is maybe a TD or at least a 30+ pass play. 

I sense there are more of these type snapshots. The QB needs to make these plays.

Imagine if your line loses protection time after time blowing up big passing plays, I bet it's extremely frustrating when the line finally does its job and then your QB doesn't pull the trigger.  And then later in the game when he does pull the trigger he overshoots his target twice for deep TDs.

2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

It was in the LSU game.  Danielson was flipping back and forth between catch and incomplete the whole time it was reviewed.  It ended up incomplete, but a penalty gave the first down.  I do not think Gus or Chip would be beating the anti-interception song into his head after a bad game against LSU, at least not to the extent that it would cause him to hold on to the ball with three open targets (screenshot in this thread) in the following game.

I agree that it’s not likely the coaches got on him too bd about the int’s, but why has Stidham regressed?  Something changed and I don’t think it was his engagement. 

Archived