Pass to set up the run

SKIPPER_01

5 hours ago, selias said:

Could this behavior have been drummed into his head by coaches? Ball security is obviously important but some element of risk is needed for reward. Has the coaching staff made JS so risk averse he has become gun shy?

I do think this is a big issue. After LSU, the media asked JS something to the tune of "what do you need to do differently against Arkansas". His first response is "not throw the ball to the other team."

He only had 2 INTs in that game. What that tells me is the coaches have made it absolutely paramount to Jarrett to be conservative. To "not lose" instead of win. 

I'm fine with throwing interceptions if it means we are being aggressive. I'd rather Jarrett finish the year with 35 TDs and 12 INTs, than 17 TDs and 5 INTs.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I agree that it’s not likely the coaches got on him too bd about the int’s, but why has Stidham regressed?  Something changed and I don’t think it was his engagement. 

I think he felt more comfortable with the line he had last year (well except for the Clemson meltdown), as the season went along. His line is a work in progress right now, and doesn't give him consistent protection.

I think now that his name and picture is in all the college pubs, and all the analysts are promoting him as possibly a 1st round pick, there is new pressure on him to produce and earn that 1st round pick. 

The OC and even Stidham have said they are just out of sync, and not progressing as smooth as they hoped for starting the year.

So JS seems to have happy feet, at times missing open WRs on long passes, not seeing the field clearly, and at times not going through his progressions effectively. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I do think this is a big issue. After LSU, the media asked JS something to the tune of "what do you need to do differently against Arkansas". His first response is "not throw the ball to the other team."

He only had 2 INTs in that game. What that tells me is the coaches have made it absolutely paramount to Jarrett to be conservative. To "not lose" instead of win. 

I'm fine with throwing interceptions if it means we are being aggressive. I'd rather Jarrett finish the year with 35 TDs and 12 INTs, than 17 TDs and 5 INTs.

he ONLY had 2 INTs? Not if you are throwing 2 in a critical SEC game, is it alright. The coaches don't mind you being aggressive, just make sure you are making good reads and progressions on the pass plays. They in no way are asking him to be conservative. The play called is the play called, if it is a passing call. If they don't move the chains or get into the red zone, the offense fails. 

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Now that I saw this snapshot, it makes sense. This is the play that was 3rd down, JS sits and sits, doesnt pull the trigger, feels pressure, and tried to escape but gets sacked.

Then the tv crew pans to the coaches box and shows Lindsey throwing up his hands, and rubbing his face, as he is so frustrated after this play. He sees what we see, that JS had 2 very open WRs, and 1 that if he leads him, is maybe a TD or at least a 30+ pass play. 

I sense there are more of these type snapshots. The QB needs to make these plays.

Since you know which play it was, would it be possible for you to link the youtube actual video of it when it becomes available?  That split second freeze frame, often looks a lot different when the play is live.  Seriously, if he has been coached to look at the primary receiver and he is covered, then it becomes a little different in real time live action to pick up the next read especially when you think you're about to take a dirt nap.  No idea if that is the case, I'd just like to see the actual play in real time on video to get a better idea of what was happening on that play.  Regardless, I agree he's got to get better at his progressions, assuming that is something we do in practice and teach.

8 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I know this is beating a dead horse (Zeek haha) but this was pointed out in the ARK game as well. Early in the ARK game on the second and third drives, they ended in punts when Stidham missed wide open targets. He had plenty of time and just did not throw good balls. Go back and watch the drives. Something is wrong with him. This was early in the game and he had time, so there was no reason to panic. He is just "off". He has to be hurt, right? He does not look like the same QB that ended last year. He looks like the QB from the Clemson game last year... even when he has time. 

I have also wondered if something is amiss with him, yet once again we have no backup who has thrown a pass in a meaningful situation. Time, and again I see other teams trot out backup QB's for a spark, or to let the starter gather themselves. We do not have that option. 

22 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I have also wondered if something is amiss with him, yet once again we have no backup who has thrown a pass in a meaningful situation. Time, and again I see other teams trot out backup QB's for a spark, or to let the starter gather themselves. We do not have that option. 

I don’t think he even looks the same as the Washington game. Didn’t he take a bad hit in that game? (I’m grabbing at straws here I know). 

You know Stidham said him and Chip are on the same page now so that’s why he can audible. Maybe that’s the problem . Maybe Chip has rendered JS’s mind useless now. Next up he will call the twirly bird Cox move except he will run it. SMH ?‍♀️ 

9 hours ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

McElroy makes a great point and maybe Gus has been trying to pass more. First 5 plays vs LSU were 4 passes. 1st was picked. Ok. But next three were on the very next possession and all hit recievers in hands. Seth was in traffic on 3rd down but I feel it should have been caught.

So it is player execution in alot of areas and they just need to keep trying, don't be scared. Keep playing and working at it.

Hopefully this offense does start clicking like Gus is saying. It usually does happen mid season so I'm gonna trust them.

The most concerning thing for me is players leaving. Sal and Kam need to stay and we need to utilize the TE.

They did hit the receivers hands but I would call them catchable. Two were behind the receivers and the other was over the head of the receiver. Try sometime catching one behind you while your running in traffic. If you go back and look his receivers have made him look better than he has been.

9 hours ago, steeleagle said:

he ONLY had 2 INTs? Not if you are throwing 2 in a critical SEC game, is it alright. The coaches don't mind you being aggressive, just make sure you are making good reads and progressions on the pass plays. They in no way are asking him to be conservative. The play called is the play called, if it is a passing call. If they don't move the chains or get into the red zone, the offense fails. 

I would never want my QB to be so gun shy that his number 1 priority is not throwing interceptions. I think he is being coached, due to how great our defense is, to be conservative. We will continue to struggle as long as this is the case. 

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I would never want my QB to be so gun shy that his number 1 priority is not throwing interceptions. I think he is being coached, due to how great our defense is, to be conservative. We will continue to struggle as long as this is the case. 

You can look at many things that have happened over the last few years and see a pattern of Gus being overly risk-averse. Even when Nick Marshall was here, he would either throw to a WIDE open guy or toss the ball into the bleachers. Or pull it down and run, of course. Very few exceptions. 

The LSU game last year, the Clemson game the year before that, refusing to let anybody but KJ tote the rock... plenty of other examples...

Drilling it into Stidham's head that job #1 is not doing anything risky like throwing a football to a guy who isn't WIDE open to the point that Stidham is rendered impotent would fit right into Gus's MO. 

16 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I agree that it’s not likely the coaches got on him too bd about the int’s, but why has Stidham regressed?  Something changed and I don’t think it was his engagement. 

All we can do is speculate, as we will never know what Stidham is or is not coached to do.  The screenshot all over this thread depicts at least one instance of him struggling to see the field or make the quick decision to go with any of his available targets.  One of those targets was in a position where is clearly running free behind defenders looking elsewhere, and a completion to him has great odds of becoming a touchdown.  I have no doubt that very play is one that he is getting coached on this week, and I am not certain that he has regressed.  He has seldom lit up the opponent when the offense is not also steamrolling them on the ground.  The offense was hot and cold running the ball in the last two games, and Stidham was hot and cold too.

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don't agree with this at all. Sorry. I went back and looked at the play by play chart, and there were plenty of 1st down passing plays called. Yes, many of them were screens, but more than 30% were plays like the one in the screenshot where he had 3 different options. And i don't believe CGM told him to only throw it if it is wide open. 

We tried more than 2 deep balls against Ark, and JS just flat out missed them. The one to Schwartz down the middle may have been completed if the DB had not held Schwartz shoulder, but the others were overthrows or just off target.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't agree with this at all. Sorry. I went back and looked at the play by play chart, and there were plenty of 1st down passing plays called. Yes, many of them were screens, but more than 30% were plays like the one in the screenshot where he had 3 different options. And i don't believe CGM told him to only throw it if it is wide open. 

We tried more than 2 deep balls against Ark, and JS just flat out missed them. The one to Schwartz down the middle may have been completed if the DB had not held Schwartz shoulder, but the others were overthrows or just off target.

Did you watch the broadcast? They made a point of showing how conservative we were in the passing game. Through 3 quarters, I think we didn't attempt a single pass of more than 10 yards downfield. We had better get back to the gunslinging we saw against UGA and Alabama last year.

48 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Did you watch the broadcast? They made a point of showing how conservative we were in the passing game. Through 3 quarters, I think we didn't attempt a single pass of more than 10 yards downfield. We had better get back to the gunslinging we saw against UGA and Alabama last year.

You're slightly off....

When they showed that chart they did have 1 attempt past 10 yards.  He was 0/1 on the attempt.  But it WAS there.

:beer2:

Archived