Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)

Auburn2Eugene

Any idea if we would pursue Kelly Bryant if/when he announces his transfer from Clemson? 

He would be an exceptional addition to the roster for next year's QB battle.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He announced his intention to transfer today. 

Seems like it would be a good idea to bring him in. I know that he only has 1 year remaining, and most people want 2 years out of transfers, but he has played at the highest levels of this sport. 

It would make a lot of sense to bring him in for next season, so we could give Bo a year in the offense without having to play him as a true freshman. 

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Will transfer from Clemson. 

Any likelihood we go after him? He’d be a great fit for our offense 

We better

36 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I know that he only has 1 year remaining, and most people want 2 years out of transfers, but he has played at the highest levels of this sport. 

With QB's under Gus, I'd prefer they only have 1 year of eligibility.

God yes, I hope we do. We're still a legit contender with a lot of offensive talent and a QB position that will in all likelihood be his for the taking next season.

He has a cannon on him, likes to flex, and he wears a number that I'm curious if we'd let him wear at quarterback...

KB does a good job with the zone read as well and has decent enough wheels to make things happen. Yes please.

SDS already speculating that it's between us and the porkers. Considering the state of affairs in Fayettevillle and him having one year of eligibility (is that correct?), I think we have a much better shot.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/2-sec-fan-bases-are-pleading-for-recent-clemson-qb-commit-kelly-bryant-on-twitter/

Of course, SDS is an SEC oriented site so it's possible he goes somewhere else. Who else is in need of a QB next year and where he can immediately be successful? Nebraska? UCLA? Penn State?

Just now, CT Tiger said:

SDS already speculating that it's between us and the porkers. Considering the state of affairs in Fayettevillle and him having one year of eligibility (is that correct?), I think we have a much better shot.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/2-sec-fan-bases-are-pleading-for-recent-clemson-qb-commit-kelly-bryant-on-twitter/

Of course, SDS is an SEC oriented site so it's possible he goes somewhere else. Who else is in need of a QB next year and where he can immediately be successful? Nebraska? UCLA? Penn State?

No idea on his current mindset but... if it's down between us and Arkansas then boy howdy do I like our chances. He can keep all of his orange gear here, go to a far superior school academically, with much more beautiful women, a far better football team, and an offense that fits him better. War Eagle let's make this happen Gus!

We'd be crazy not to at least try. If I'm not mistaken though, unless he's granted a release he won't be eligible to play until 2020 at his new school correct? Assuming he wouldn't be a grad transfer.

Just now, JBiGGiE said:

We'd be crazy not to at least try. If I'm not mistaken though, unless he's granted a release he won't be eligible to play until 2020 at his new school correct? Assuming he wouldn't be a grad transfer.

That is a good question. I was under the impression that he would be eligible next year, but I have no real basis in why I think that. Can anyone clear this up?

Just now, NoALtiger said:

We’d be crazy not to at least try and go after this guy. Easy answer. 

Honestly it seems like a better fit than even Hurts coming over and it's out of conference so Dabo shouldn't mind as much.

If I were this kid there are a few teams that would truly use me well:
Oregon, Clemson, Texas A&M, Auburn, UCF, Oklahoma, and maybe Florida

4 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I'm not sure on this either but I think if he redshirts and transfers he would be able to play by the 2019 season. I think that redshirt year is now serving as the usual JuCo or transfer year now. I do know that Grad Transfers are a lot easier to pull off.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/9/26/17900294/kelly-bryant-transfer-clemson

Clemson senior quarterback Kelly Bryant is transferring, he told the Greenville News in an article published Wednesday:

“I feel like it’s what’s best for me and my future,” Bryant said in an exclusive interview with The Greenville News. “I was just going to control what I could control and try to make the most of my opportunity, but at the end of the day, I just don’t feel like I’ve gotten a fair shot.”

The Tigers named five-star freshman and No. 1 overall QB recruit Trevor Lawrence their starter for their Week 5 game against Syracuse, replacing Bryant, who’d started since the beginning of the 2017 season. Bryant doesn’t want to be a backup, he told the paper:

“I was like, ‘I’m not discrediting Trevor. He’s doing everything asked of him, but on my side of it, I feel like I haven’t done anything to not be the starter. I’ve been here. I’ve waited my turn. I’ve done everything y’all have asked me to do, plus more.’

Bryant didn’t practice on Tuesday and had an emotional conversation with Dabo Swinney, the Tigers’ head coach told reporters. Swinney didn’t make it sound like Bryant would transfer, but on Wednesday, the quarterback said himself that he would.

Bryant is the second high-profile Clemson QB to transfer since May 2018, when former five-star Hunter Johnson left the program and then picked Northwestern. Lawrence’s arrival has reshaped the Tigers’ whole depth chart. The Tigers’ new No. 2 quarterback will probably be three-star redshirt freshman Chase Brice, who’s remained in the fold.

Bryant’s transfer is possible at all because of a new NCAA redshirt rule.
That rule says players can play in up to four games and not be charged a season of eligibility. Bryant’s in his last year of eligibility, but he’s only played four games.

He’s one of a handful of players at major programs to announce a departure for another school after four games of the 2018 season — in an unintended (but not necessarily bad) side effect of a rule the NCAA passed to allow more true freshmen to get onto the field.

Clemson could’ve kept Bryant as the starter for another week before announcing Lawrence would take over. Then he’d have appeared in five games, and 2018 would be guaranteed to be his last season of eligibility. A transfer would’ve been off the table.

To the Tigers’ credit, they appear to have been straightforward with their senior QB — who took them to the Playoff last year — instead of jerking him around.

“If I was worried about that or I was deceitful in some way, I could’ve huddled the coaches up and said, ‘Hey, let’s make sure we start him for Syracuse. And that way he’s got no options.’ That’s not how I operate,” Swinney told reporters at his Tuesday press conference. “We don’t operate that way. I’m just trying to do what’s right, and I’m not going to ever apologize for that.”

That quote might read a bit like grandstanding to you, and Swinney’s really done the only decent thing here. But in a sport where coaches so often mess with players’ futures to serve their own short-term needs, Clemson’s handling of Bryant’s situation is notable and good.

Bryant should be able play next year at whatever school he chooses next.
He’ll be a graduate transfer. The NCAA lets transfers play right away at their next school if they’ve graduated from the one they’re leaving.

Wherever he goes, Bryant will be a catch for some team.
He’s not Lawrence, who’s one of the most hyped QB recruits in history. But he’s pretty good in his own right, and he could start for a whole lot of FBS teams.

Bryant had a 147 passer rating in his four 2018 appearances, completing 35 of 53 passes (66 percent) for 8.6 yards per throw, two touchdowns, and an interception.

He’d run 30 times for 144 yards and two more touchdowns. He’s one of the country’s best QBs at not turning the ball over, and his legs are a significant asset in the right offense. They were an asset in Clemson’s office, and he was the Tigers’ top ball-carrier in 2017.

Clemson, of course, will be fine rolling with Lawrence.
He’s a star, and the Tigers’ offense has picked up in recent games with the freshman on the field. While they moved the ball better against Texas A&M when Bryant was at the helm, they’ve hummed more with Lawrence leading them in the last few games:
Through his first four appearances, all coming off the bench behind Bryant, Lawrence was averaging 9.8 yards per attempt with nine touchdown passes and two interceptions.

He’s an elite talent, with better downfield throwing ability than Bryant. If Lawrence stays healthy and plays to anything near his massive potential, he’ll probably be Clemson’s quarterback through 2020 and then become a high NFL draft pick.

1 minute ago, weathergeakal said:

This could be HUGE for 2019. 2 years of KB and in 2021 on comes Bo

We'd only have him for 1 year I'm pretty sure. He's a senior this year but I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, weathergeakal said:

My B. I thought he was a RS Soph last year. You are correct tho.

Was hoping I wasn't lol still one year of acclimating Bo would be nice.

9 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

Defo. Only thing is if he comes we can say Bye to Malik and probably Joey

As long as we keep Cord as a back up

44 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

If I'm not mistaken though, unless he's granted a release he won't be eligible to play until 2020 at his new school correct?

Redshirt year counts as a transfer year, so he’s eligible in 2019.

As a side note, if he waits to officially transfer on or after October 15th, he can transfer to another ACC school if he desires and Clemson would have no say in the matter. 

1 minute ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Redshirt year counts as a transfer year, so he’s eligible in 2019.

As a side note, if he waits to officially transfer on or after October 15th, he can transfer to another ACC school if he desires and Clemson would have no say in the matter. 

What's the earliest he could be on campus here?

If he went to FSU it'd be a troll

Archived