Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)

Auburn2Eugene

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If Gus is a good coach he should not need a specific type of QB to succeed. He has only had a QB with wheels and ran that "system" 3 seasons. Cam and Nick Marshalls 2 years. The rest of his college coaching days he has had pass first guys. IDK why everyone thinks Gus is this running qb zone read guru. 

I could have written this same response in a different discussion. This discussion is about how you get a running qb to transfer to your system. It could work. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Doesn't mean he is. But when you're trying to hit the proverbial home run at a transfer QB like Stidham two years ago, combined with Gus' tumultuous current status, you recruit whoever makes you most successful. Bryant has run the zone read with decent success. Gus has run it with National Championship success. Guess what Gus is selling Bryant?

Bryant is not even that great of a runner. Is he better than Stidham? Yes. But Tate is the one that is a perfect fit for the zone read offense. Not KB. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Bryant is not even that great of a runner. Is he better than Stidham? Yes. But Tate is the one that is a perfect fit for the zone read offense. Not KB. 

No argument there, but the question begs, why did Sumlin turn a DT QB into a pocket passer? He did coach JF after all.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Massive difference between the 2. Corey was never a Bama legend.  If Hurts transferred to AU 70-80% of the state would have nothing to do with him after that. I don't mean in football terms either. I mean real life.

Doubt he would give a damn about bammer fans having nothing to do with him. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I could have written this same response in a different discussion. This discussion is about how you get a running qb to transfer to your system. It could work. 

Then we are not selling him on what he wants to be sold on if that is the pitch. He has said numerous times he wants to go to the best place that prepares him for the NFL. I.E. A pass happy offense. That is the whole reason Mizzou is the front runner because of Drew Lockes draft stock.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

To be honest, at this point I would take either one of them.  Hoping Stidham is going pro.  Not that I don't like him, he is just not the right fit for Gus's type of offense.  Either Tate or Bryant would be a better option for next year.

Then we are not selling him on what he wants to be sold on if that is the pitch. He has said numerous times he wants to go to the best place that prepares him for the NFL. I.E. A pass happy offense. That is the whole reason Mizzou is the front runner because of Drew Lockes draft stock.

We are confused. 

2 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

To be honest, at this point I would take either one of them.  Hoping Stidham is going pro.  Not that I don't like him, he is just not the right fit for Gus's type of offense.  Either Tate or Bryant would be a better option for next year.

Malzahns type of offense? Gus has shown time and time again he does not want to run that type of offense. He wants a Pocket Passer who is somewhat mobile. That is who he keeps recruiting.

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

We are confused. 

How? That is what Kelly Bryant said he was looking for.

Malzahns type of offense? Gus has shown time and time again he does not want to run that type of offense. He wants a Pocket Passer who is somewhat mobile. That is who he keeps recruiting.

Hopefully he feels this is his last chance and he better go back to what was working in the beginning.

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

Prob is, Bryant, like every other QB on planet Earth, is looking to get to the NFL, regardless of what any of us think his chances are. Doubtful he would hinge his chances, on his very last season, on being a "running QB", even though we all know that's what Gus is selling him i.e. look at Cam.

3 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

No argument there, but the question begs, why did Sumlin turn a DT QB into a pocket passer? He did coach JF after all.

IDK, but I do know 2012 TAMU and 2013 TAMU offenses were the 2 of the best offenses I have ever seen in the SEC. Right up there with 2010 Auburn and 2008 Florida. Did he not have over 1k yards rushing in both seasons though?

2 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Hopefully he feels this is his last chance and he better go back to what was working in the beginning.

I think even if KB comes it will not be enough to save his job. We may win 6 games instead of not being bowl eligible. 

Random news:

Auburn RB Coach getting some love...

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

Hurts is not coming here. He has to much bama in him as Updyke himself said. 

Just now, roe4christ said:

Random news:

Auburn RB Coach getting some love...

hahaha Horton has wanted out every year for like 3 or 4 straight years. I hope he finally gets his wish. Though I highly doubt they offer it to him. That is a really good job in the sun belt.  He clearly does not want to be here and his recruiting has been meh for sometime. 

16 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

The answer is it's not his offense right now. He's letting it be Noel Mazzone's O atm.

17 minutes ago, alexava said:

You're missing the point. They would put obstacles in his way in real life.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

hahaha Horton has wanted out every year for like 3 or 4 straight years. I hope he finally gets his wish. Though I highly doubt they offer it to him. That is a really good job in the sun belt.  He clearly does not want to be here and his recruiting has been meh for sometime. 

I hope he gets it for his sake and ours. 

Just now, weathergeakal said:

Dont count State out. 

Anybody not AU or Mizzou would be a surprise at this point.

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think even if KB comes it will not be enough to save his job. We may win 6 games instead of not being bowl eligible. 

I know he is thinking it over but I still think he will choose another school if for no it her reason than he will not be guaranteed the starting job at AU. Mizzou has nobody. I am not saying our bench is loaded by any means but with Nix - that will give us 5 qbs if KB joins. That is competition he does not have at the other schools. 

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

IDK, but I do know 2012 TAMU and 2013 TAMU offenses were the 2 of the best offenses I have ever seen in the SEC. Right up there with 2010 Auburn and 2008 Florida. Did he not have over 1k yards rushing in both seasons though?

Well sure, but again, that was then. Sumlin took a leading Heisman DT QB and turned him into a pocket passer. Guy was Heisman history after week 2 or 3.

Point is, could Gus' zone read resurrect his DT career? Perhaps, but IMO, Tate seems like a million to one odds to journey east of the PAC 12. Same as Hurts and Bryant moving west of the SEC.

Archived