Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)

Auburn2Eugene

12 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

KB can't throw, right?

If 66% completion % is your definition of can't throw then I'd hate to see your definition of can throw. One would like to see a better TD/INT ratio than 16/10 though.

17 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

we would need better OL play

FWIW Miami is involved because they think they're  OL is pretty weak & will need an athletic QB to better deal with poor OL play.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say what's in Keith VIP Insider from earlier today but I can say Arky is not in the spot many believe they are in including a free article from Mike Farrell of Rivals earlier today. Looks like it will be a 3, maybe 4 team race.

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Miami is involved because they think they're  OL is pretty weak & will need an athletic QB to better deal with poor OL play.

That does make a lot of sense. An athletic QB can mask a bad OL

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

If 66% completion % is your definition of can't throw then I'd hate to see your definition of can throw. One would like to see a better TD/INT ratio than 16/10 though.

That was Clemson passing routes only hope he could do as well at Auburn 

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I think he is better than any other QB we have on campus right now however I would like to see what Nix has to offer. KB can't throw, right? I mean a true freshman (albeit a very good one) beat him out. It seems like hB would be very good in a read-option offense aka AU 2013 but we would need better OL play and a stud RB to go with him. 

I think Nix is going to shock a lot of people. He is very good. 

So you just said Kelly Bryant is going to need better OL play and a stud RB, yet you think true freshman QB Bo Nix can offset this without such. Take a gander and look at Bo Nix completion rating at the high school level. I think Bo Nix will be a good QB in the future, but you are completely gambling by putting a true freshman out there like this. Not many transition very well. 

13 hours ago, DAG said:

So you just said Kelly Bryant is going to need better OL play and a stud RB, yet you think true freshman QB Bo Nix can offset this without such. Take a gander and look at Bo Nix completion rating at the high school level. I think Bo Nix will be a good QB in the future, but you are completely gambling by putting a true freshman out there like this. Not many transition very well. 

Yep.....I think some folks just don't grasp how big the step is from one level to the next in the football system....how much better the competition is...HS to SEC is huge and from Div 1 to NFL is at least as big.   And just from observation it's even more of an issue for QBs.  

Hoping that it is not necessary for Nix to play next year.

1-on-1 with Clemson transfer Kelly Bryant

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 

PIEDMONT S.C., -- For Clemson transfer Kelly Bryant, a former starter for the Tigers who left the program earlier this fall after losing his job, it’s the homestretch of his second recruitment. While in high school, picking Clemson was not a difficult choice for Bryant, who grew up not far from the school. But today, are not as clear. He has one year of eligibility remaining and that means finding the perfect fit is absolutely critical.

Six schools remain in the hunt: Arkansas, Auburn, Miami, Mississippi State, Missouri and North Carolina. Bryant will officially visit the Bulldogs this weekend and the Hurricanes the next. He will unofficially visit Auburn either next week or the week after with his parents. Sometime on the day of Dec. 4, Bryant will announce his college choice. He isn't yet sure how he will reveal his decision. He'll arrive at that school in January.

Each of these schools has something to sell.

Arkansas’ coach, Chad Morris, was Bryant’s primary recruiter when Bryant was in high school and that bond between them remains strong today. At Auburn, the Tigers have many pieces on offense returning in 2019 and the man (Gus Malzahn) running the program coached one of his childhood idols (Cam Newton). With Miami, coach Mark Richt's history of developing quarterbacks has Bryant intrigued. At Mississippi State, the current players on the team have hammered home that program’s family environment and the need for his services. With Missouri, the success first-year offensive coordinator Derek Dooley has had with quarterback Drew Lock has been an eye opener. Then you have North Carolina, which has struggled of late, but in 2017 had former quarterback Mitch Trubisky go No. 2 overall in the NFL Draft.

While at Clemson, Bryant passed for 3,338 yards and rushed for another 973. In 2017, he completed 65.8 percent of his passes for 2,802 yards, 13 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

Wednesday, 247Sports sat down with Bryant and here’s a Q&A from that chat ...

247Sports: Entering these final few visits, do you have any schools that have moved ahead from this group of six?

Bryant: “I do have some that are ahead. Especially the schools I’ve visited of course. But I’m getting ready to go to Mississippi State and then Miami next weekend. I haven’t made a decision. Now, I just want to make sure it’s a fair opportunity. I don’t want to be going into a situation where I know where I want to go and I’m still going to these schools. I just want to be open minded.”

247Sports: In your head, how close are you to making a decision?

Bryant: “I’d probably say like I’m 40 to 50 percent there.

247Sports: What's different about being recruited now as compared to when you were in high school?

Bryant: “I’ve been through that sales pitch. I can tell it. One thing I’ve been telling coaches is that I don’t want to be recruited. Just give it to me plain and straight. Just tell me what your situation is and just tell me what you’re looking for and I’ll tell you the same thing as well. That’s been the difference from being a 17-year-old fresh out of high school to being 22."

247Sports: What are some of the biggest factors you’ll consider when making this decision?

Bryant: "No. 1, making sure my credits transfer over (he’s in grad school). That, and just being around the guys - that trust factor. That’s why I’m building a relationship with the coaches. Just seeing who doesn’t want me for Kelly Bryant the football player but who wants me for Kelly Bryant the person."

247Sports: When it comes to making your upcoming decision, how high up your wish list for a school is a coaching staff’s ability to develop you?

Bryant: “It’s definitely important. One of the main things that I’m looking for in making this decision. I feel like my best ball is still ahead of me. I’m not a finished product. I still have so much to learn and I’m eager to learn. I’m not satisfied by the type of player I am right now."

247Sports: Are there one or two schools who you feel like really need you the most?

Bryant: “That’s what hard about it because all six of those I feel I could come in and compete and just bring something to the table. That’s probably the toughest thing about making this decision because all the schools have what I'm looking for. Now it’s just like sitting down and going through it. Seeing what school is actually going to benefit me the most."

247Sports: Most fans see you purely as a dual-threat guy that is set on playing in one specific system -- something similar to what Clemson runs with its offense. Are you set on playing in that type of system or are you open-minded when it comes to that?

Bryant: “I’m open to anything. Develop me within that year and also prepare me for that next level.”

247Sports: Is distance from home a factor at all?

Bryant: “Not at all.”

247Sports: You visited Auburn two weeks ago. What can you tell us about that trip?

Bryant: “It was an unofficial so I was only there for like four or five hours. Just sitting down talking with all of the coaches and just really getting a feel for the program and what they’re looking for — just taking the next step. Just seeing all the pieces that they have coming back. Just sitting down with them, watching film. They’ve got outside guys, you know, skill players, and also the offensive line guys that are coming back as well. It was really good to see the similarities in the offense they’re accustomed to running and just seeing how Coach Malzahn can help me prepare for the next step. Get me better within a year and also compete at a high level.”

247Sports: How well did you know Malzahn before that visit? Had you ever met him face to face before?

Bryant: “I camped there and I went to an unofficial visit in high schoo. It was like a junior day or something like that. It was good (this time) to actually sit down with him and pick his brain as he was picking my brain about this whole process. I felt it was a really good sit-down meeting. I feel like we connected. One of the main things that stood out to me was that he was asking me, ‘What do I see? Where do I  want to be? What’s my goals?’ He said hedging to do everything I need to get me where I want. He’s going to push me and be tough on me. And that’s what I’m looking for and what I need.”

247Sports: In 2017, you went against Auburn in your second start of the season. You passed for 181 yards while rushing for 59 yards and two touchdowns as Clemson won 14-6. Did Malzahn talk about that game with you at all?

Bryant: “He mentioned it a little bit that I played pretty well. It was one of the early coming out parties for me. Playing in an environment like that against a team like that from the SEC — that’s something where I feel like I can come in and compete against. That's where I want to be.”

247Sports: How much is North Carolina saying you're the missing piece after two off years for the Tar Heels?

Bryant: “They’ve got everybody returning next year. The experience and I can see the guys they have around (the quarterback) that can make plays. If you look at their schedule, they’re right there in the game. A lot of them. A few plays here and there.”

247Sports: With North Carolina sending Trubisky to the NFL in 2017, how much of a selling point has that been?

Bryant: “Looking at Trubisky and what a year did for him in that system (is big).”

247Sports: What do you like most about North Carolina?

Bryant: “It’s a great environment. College town. It kind of feels like home but it’s not home. Just being around the guys, I really enjoyed them. They’re really down-to-earth guys. They just keep it real with me.”

247Sports: How much communication have you had with Mississippi State coach Joe Moorhead?

Bryant: “I’ve had a lot of conversations (with him). Pretty much every week. We talk, me and him and the QB coach. Pretty much checking in on me and making sure I’m getting everything situated for this visit. And just what’s really been intriguing to me is that the players have been reaching out. And they just talk about how much they love playing for him. And what makes them different — everybody says it’s a family but hearing players say it before the coaches is something that’s drawing me there.”

247Sports: Have more Mississippi State players reached out to you than the other schools?

Bryant: “Yeah, I’d say they have.”

247Sports: Which players?

Bryant: “Jamal Peters. He texts me, not blowing me up, but telling me a lot about what they have to offer there. It’s been there and UNC as well. Those players have been reaching out and I’ve been hanging out with some of the guys.”

247Sports: You visit the Bulldogs this weekend. What do you need to experience on that visit?

Bryant: “I just want to sit down and talk to the coaches and go through the situation and what all they have to offer. And then, the biggest thing to me at this point is just getting around players and just seeing how they feel and how they like it there."

247Sports: What's your relationship like with Arkansas' Morris?

Bryant: “He recruited me. He was my main guy. It’s important — the relationship is already there so it’s established. Right after I made the decision (to leave Clemson) he was one of the first people, one of the first coaches to reach out. It’s like we didn’t skip a beat. Right there, the relationship seemed like it started right back again. And just having that relationship and knowing what he looks for in a quarterback is big."

247Sports: Has he changed at all since he recruited you?

Bryant: "He’s the same guy. That’s what really has been great for me to see. He’s been at SMU for awhile and now Arkansas, but it’s like he’s still at Clemson. He still looks the same and acts the same.”

247Sports: Besides your relationship with Morris, what else sticks out with Arkansas?

Bryant: “Just the amount of love that they showed me. The fans. I really enjoyed the gameday environment. It was kind of different. That was my first time at Arkansas. I got more out of it then I was expecting. Just sitting down and talking to them — we didn’t even talk ball. That’s been the biggest thing that I enjoyed about that visit.”

247Sports: What does Miami and Richt tell you about the offense and how you'd fit there?

Bryant: “He just tells me the philosophy, you know pro-style but mixing with the spread and RPO. It would be a good situation. The guys they have around them are some really deep threats, good targets and also the offensive line — they feel like next year will be the best since he’s been there."

247Sports: What makes you think you could fit into that offense?

Bryant: "I’m eager to learn. I still feel like I can be developed. I feel like I can go in and learn the offense and contribute as well.”

247Sports: Richt is known for quarterback development; what do you think of his track record?

Bryant: “It speaks for itself. He knows the position. He knows how to get guys there. That’s an automatic attention-drawer right there.

247Sports: What do you want to learn about the Hurricanes when you visit?

Bryant: “Just getting around the coaches. Rather than being on the phone, just talking with them and seeing where they are right now.”

247Sports: Nobody is talking about Missouri much. Are they a sleeper here?

Bryant: "They’re in my top six so I don’t know why they’re not talking about them."

247Sports: What has the Tigers in this?

Bryant: "Coach (Barry) Odom. I could tell from the first time I talked to him he was a down-to-earth guy. And just him and Coach Dooley — Coach Dooley has been in the NFL so he has that track record and was the head coach at Tennessee and all that. Having that experience in the NFL, now he’s carrying it over to the college league."

247Sports: Missouri has had a quarterback (Drew Lock) put up big numbers the past few years. As a quarterback, what do you think about that and is that a factor for you?

Bryant: “Man, that’s everything I want to look for. What really intrigues me with them is that it’s Coach Dooley’s first year there and Drew had to go in and learn the system and you see how he’s playing now. That’s just drawing me. If he can go and learn it in one year I know I can go in and learn it as well."

43 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

I want him. Placeholder for our offense while we get other guys ready. Might be what we need to actually have success next season rather than another Gus Malzahn 7-5, 8-4 year. 

Major change of plans for Kelly Bryant

By Keith Niebuhr

Clemson transfer Kelly Bryant, a former starter for the Tigers who left the program earlier this fall, has shaken up his official visit schedule.

With one official left, Miami is out. Auburn is back in.

According to a source close to Bryant, he will officially visit the Tigers sometime next week (the date is to be determine). He then plans to announce his transfer plans Dec. 4.

Why the change? We can't answer that, but it certaily signals that Auburn is a top contender. According to our intel, Auburn, Missouri and North Carolina might be the three teams to watch but Mississippi State, which Bryant officially visited over the weekend should not be counted out. "He had a great visit to Mississippi State," a source told 247Sports.

While at Clemson, Bryant passed for 3,338 yards and rushed for another 973. In 2017, he completed 65.8 percent of his passes for 2,802 yards, 13 touchdowns and eight interceptions

37 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Major change of plans for Kelly Bryant

By Keith Niebuhr

Clemson transfer Kelly Bryant, a former starter for the Tigers who left the program earlier this fall, has shaken up his official visit schedule.

With one official left, Miami is out. Auburn is back in.

According to a source close to Bryant, he will officially visit the Tigers sometime next week (the date is to be determine). He then plans to announce his transfer plans Dec. 4.

Why the change? We can't answer that, but it certaily signals that Auburn is a top contender. According to our intel, Auburn, Missouri and North Carolina might be the three teams to watch but Mississippi State, which Bryant officially visited over the weekend should not be counted out. "He had a great visit to Mississippi State," a source told 247Sports.

While at Clemson, Bryant passed for 3,338 yards and rushed for another 973. In 2017, he completed 65.8 percent of his passes for 2,802 yards, 13 touchdowns and eight interceptions

04307259-CCAB-46F1-8668-AF3C289C5A05.gif

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

04307259-CCAB-46F1-8668-AF3C289C5A05.gif

I just hope that if he doesn’t come to us he stays out of the SEC

56 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I just hope that if he doesn’t come to us he stays out of the SEC

He can go to Missouri. They’re the only real SEC threat and we don’t play them anytime soon.

I seriously doubt Bryant is coming here. He left Clemson because he was no longer guaranteed a starting position. He wouldn’t be guaranteed a starting position at Auburn either. Stidham has not announced whether he’s coming back. Even if Stidham does leave, there will be 4 quarterbacks fighting for the starting job (5 if you count Bryant). That’s hardly good odds for getting a starting position. He’s going to go somewhere that’s really hurting for an adequate QB.

Im betting he ends up at Mississippi State or Arkansas.

12 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I seriously doubt Bryant is coming here. He left Clemson because he was no longer guaranteed a starting position. He wouldn’t be guaranteed a starting position at Auburn either. Stidham has not announced whether he’s coming back. Even if Stidham does leave, there will be 4 quarterbacks fighting for the starting job (5 if you count Bryant). That’s hardly good odds for getting a starting position. He’s going to go somewhere that’s really hurting for an adequate QB.

If he thinks he's better than the 4 other QBs on the roster then why wouldn't he consider us? Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.

35 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Bryant knows the situation at Auburn. He knows Jarrett is leaving whether he gets drafted high or not. He also more importantly knows, of the other four quarterbacks you mentioned the staff doesn’t have confidence in any of them being the starter for 2019. So in the end, we are one of the teams hurting for adequate quarterback in 2019. His odds are very good to be the quarterback at Auburn in 2019 should he choose us.

24 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

If he thinks he's better than the 4 other QBs on the roster then why wouldn't he consider us? Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.

He is considering us and very much so. That’s why he changed his last official visit from Miami to Auburn.

On 11/14/2018 at 4:55 PM, gr82b4au said:

That does make a lot of sense. An athletic QB can mask a bad OL

It can but KB is not on the level of a running QB like Cam or Nick. We certainly need a DT QB though. It would be nice to get KB. It would be less of a crap show next year. But unless KB comes with 2 experienced grad OLmen and a better OC that has total control I'm not getting too excited about KB alone.

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

None of our QBs are proven. KB has shown he can lead a team to the playoffs. There's no question he would be our starter. We might as well move Malik to a new position b/c if we don't trust him to throw and open up the offense when he does play..it's just a waste of everyone's time. I'm just lost on the Joey situation as to what the heck is going on and does he have a real shot at seeing the field as a QB. KB would be a nice 1 year fill in for Bo. Sure...we'd rather redshirt Bo but he'd likely be our best QB on the roster coming in as a freshman. But my fear is that unless we get a real OC....Gus will probably just screw him up too. A lot of changes need to be made with the offense staff after the IB since we can't get of Gus.....everyone else needs to go. 

1 hour ago, TecmoBoJackson said:

If KB ended up at Auburn I don't see there being a big QB battle, as some will leave (transfer).

or change position.

One factor I think many of you are not considering (or at least are not voicing) is his chance at playing in another championship game and even the playoffs. What team on his list can offer that opportunity? It may not be his biggest concern this late in his college career but you'd be crazy to think it's not a factor in the final decision if he's legit torn between 2-3 schools.

Archived