Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)

Auburn2Eugene

2 hours ago, Linayus said:

One factor I think many of you are not considering (or at least are not voicing) is his chance at playing in another championship game and even the playoffs. What team on his list can offer that opportunity? It may not be his biggest concern this late in his college career but you'd be crazy to think it's not a factor in the final decision if he's legit torn between 2-3 schools.

FWIW he wants to go where he thinks he can best be developed for the NFL. Championship opportunity may be a factor but I haven't seen it mentioned. The success of Mitch Trubisky this season for the Bears & Drew Locke this season at Mizzou as it pertains to his draft stock is what appears to have UNC & Mizzou on top atm.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW he wants to go where he thinks he can best be developed for the NFL. Championship opportunity may be a factor but I haven't seen it mentioned. The success of Mitch Trubisky this season for the Bears & Drew Locke this season at Mizzou as it pertains to his draft stock is what appears to have UNC & Mizzou on top atm.

Well that ship has sailed then. Any other QBs out there? 

I’m no scout but as far as draft stock do you think he is going to get much love no matter where he goes ? At end of day it’s about abilities . If anything hope we can atleast sell the fact that he could be a complete game changer for Gus offense and have players around him to potentially  get us back to a top 10 team. Those other schools do not have that.  Yeah offensive line , but player with his athleticism takes a lot off oline  as far as them having to respect his running capabilities and not sending the house as much . Off the bus and Bryant could potentially be a Gus savior, but at end of day I just want us back at the top .

edit : now I think of it , as far as offense and GETTING scouted we are screwed. Screen right , left , short throws. Tough to get a look with that.

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Like to TE...

Oooohhhh, with Freeze that schemed Evan Ingram.  Like I said Oooooooh!

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Oooohhhh, with Freeze that schemed Evan Ingram.  Like I said Oooooooh!

Freeze scheming Seth, Schwartz, Gatewood, Slayton with Shivers as RB would create nightmare match ups

Just now, bigbird said:

Freeze scheming Seth, Schwartz, Gatewood, Slayton with Shivers as RB would create nightmare match ups

As long as the hiring negotiations go something like this: 

Gus: Hugh,  good buddy, let's work together again and fix this thing. You won't be given a company phone,  however. 

Freeze:  Gus,  I accept if you can't have a headset. 

28 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Gus: Hugh,  good buddy, let's work together again and fix this thing. You won't be given a company phone,  however. 

LMAO. Too funny.

I will say it one more time and not again.... I understand the desire for experienced DT QB at AU BUT this kid was let go by his current school because his throwing ability wasnt to par for winning in the ACC.  I do not believe he can come in here and be a savior for AU.  I know people are going to mention his completion percentage but truth is Clemson did not feel they could win with him.  We should not feel that we can be any better.  We will absolutely have a new OC next year.  Who or what that OC can do with a QB is yet to be known. But this kids passing ability has been addressed by many as not NFL caliber.  No magic transfer to AU with new OC is going to change that.

That is all... Let the flaming begin.

P.S. "Of course that is my opinion.  I could be wrong"

10 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I will say it one more time and not again.... I understand the desire for experienced DT QB at AU BUT this kid was let go by his current school because his throwing ability wasnt to par for winning in the ACC. 

He literally won the ACC last year.

3 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I will say it one more time and not again.... I understand the desire for experienced DT QB at AU BUT this kid was let go by his current school because his throwing ability wasnt to par for winning in the ACC.  I do not believe he can come in here and be a savior for AU.  I know people are going to mention his completion percentage but truth is Clemson did not feel they could win with him.  We should not feel that we can be any better.  We will absolutely have a new OC next year.  Who or what that OC can do with a QB is yet to be known. But this kids passing ability has been addressed by many as not NFL caliber.  No magic transfer to AU with new OC is going to change that.

That is all... Let the flaming begin.

P.S. "Of course that is my opinion.  I could be wrong"

3 hours ago, The Freak said:

He literally won the ACC last year.

And they had a Phenom take his spot.  We don’t.  

Clemson had one of a few players to upgrade too.  

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

In that case, we're off his short list

8 hours ago, aubie17 said:

Is he being told that the plan is for Freeze to be his QB coach and the OC?

Would guess so but not sure. Besides plans like that fall through as much if not more than happen anyway.

7 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I nominate this for post of the year.

7 hours ago, AUBwins said:

72om.gif

12 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

this kid was let go by his current school because his throwing ability wasnt to par for winning in the ACC.

You know I respect you Keel but you do realize he helped lead Clemson to an ACC title last year right? In fact the only game they lost last conference season was when he was injured in the 1st half vs. Syracuse. A 66 completion % is nothing to sneeze at. It's a damn good clip. He was let go/left because he was beat out by a phenom of a true freshman.

I do not believe he can come in here and be a savior for AU.

Nobody can with our OL. Not even Super Cam.

This kids passing ability has been addressed by many as not NFL caliber. 

Truth is they just felt they had someone better.

this kids passing ability has been addressed by many as not NFL caliber.

Good thing it's not a requirement to be a successful college QB. Countless college QBs have been successful in college without ever going pro & will continue to as long as football is around.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

You know I respect you Keel but you do realize he helped lead Clemson to an ACC title last year right? In fact the only game they lost last conference season was when he was injured in the 1st half vs. Syracuse. A 66 completion % is nothing to sneeze at. It's a damn good clip. He was let go/left because he was beat out by a phenom of a true freshman.

Yes I understand he won the ACC.  I understand that 66% completion is really good in any conference.  I also understand that he lost his job to a phenom.  I also get that you don't have to be NFL QB to play good\great in college (ie: Nick Marshall).  However, it has been said in this thread that his goal is likely NFL not playoffs.  If he wanted playoffs, then he would have likely stayed at Clemson.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nobody can with our OL. Not even Super Cam.

I agree with this so much.  I can't get my head around what the problem is.  I fully believe it is a combination of coaching & talent.  I am HOPING new coach next year can get more out of the talent we have.  With or without KB

Bottom line is that KB has great wheels.  He MAY be a more polished QB than our backups (ie: next years pool), but with a new OL & OC is this guy going to beat UGa or Bama.  I don't believe he has the talent to do so.  If he had the arm talent to do so then I don't think he would have been pushed out at Clemson.  Let's assume our backup talent on D is comparable to this year.  Maybe a small slip.  We will have most all of skilled positions back next year.  The QB will be a key for us being a better team next year.  To me the question is does this kid beat our rivals and help us get that next step... Again...  I personally don't think he is.  I think he is talented kid.  He is going to be good for someone next year.  I don't think he is going to be great for anyone.

Again, just my opinion.  

Lkeel75 pretty good opinion. I agree D will not be quite as good as we will lose some top notch talent but do have some pretty good backups. Without knowing whether we get a new OC or who the new OC will be it is hard to predict how good or bad our O will be. I have seen slow improvement on O-Line this year in pass blocking and picking up Blitz's but little to no improvement in run blocking.  I have seen times with Stidham if he had wheels could have had some really nice gains instead he bails and tries to outrun people who are faster than him. Bryant would turn some of those plays into big gains.  His running threat also changes the way the D attacks the O-Line and could help O-Line in run blocking. 

Would he be a savior probably not but this year we probably win the LSU game with him, the Tennessee game with him and maybe the Miss. State game with him. His legs would change us  from a losing SEC record to a winning SEC record.  I would like to get him as the worst case is he gives Nix some time to develop.

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

Bottom line is that KB has great wheels.  He MAY be a more polished QB than our backups (ie: next years pool), but with a new OL & OC is this guy going to beat UGa or Bama.  I don't believe he has the talent to do so.  If he had the arm talent to do so then I don't think he would have been pushed out at Clemson.  Let's assume our backup talent on D is comparable to this year.  Maybe a small slip.  We will have most all of skilled positions back next year.  The QB will be a key for us being a better team next year.  To me the question is does this kid beat our rivals and help us get that next step... Again...  I personally don't think he is.  I think he is talented kid.  He is going to be good for someone next year.  I don't think he is going to be great for anyone.

Again, just my opinion.  

To be fair, who else is going to beat Bama? Probably no one. Georgia is definitely beatable though. But I don't understand why you think KB was forced out at Clemson due to his talent. It was honestly just who the coaches felt gave a little more to the offense at that time. Statistically I think they were pretty even which is why KB was so upset to lose the starting job when he had already shown he could lead that team to the playoffs. I think Clemson made the right choice, but I also think KB made the right choice to leave as well.

Also, I mentioned the playoffs in my previous post as a weighting factor if it was a close race between us and a school like UNC. We have the exposure and talent to be a possible contender while UNC is a long shot. But if he's not really torn between two like that then the playoff picture would definitely not be a deciding factor. Been there, done that in his case.

It's nice that we're his last visit. Better chance to sway him. I don't think he goes to UNC though, so I'd bet on us or Mizzou where he can air it out more.

I’m honestly torn between making next year a lame duck year or giving him more security and making a big time OL coach and OC hire. If he is to stay for more than one year we HAVE to make a big splash OL shire. Hoping Freezus can bring one.

Archived