Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)

Auburn2Eugene

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes and he wanted JF3 start . It was fairly obvious that he couldn’t pass with accuracy at all..BUT a hand full of us wanted this other guy,who shall not be named, as he seemed to be a better mold . 

Oh yes, not doubt JFIII was brought in to start but had too many liabilities....so him who shall remain nameless was jerked around a bit to cover while JFIII tried to learn to be an SEC quarterback.   But since you only have one year or two at most with a transfer, there is no point of the guy not getting serious playing time right away. 

I guess this all depends on what JS decides.....and what the NFL scouts decide about him....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Oh yes, not doubt JFIII was brought in to start but had too many liabilities....so him who shall remain nameless was jerked around a bit to cover while JFIII tried to learn to be an SEC quarterback.   But since you only have one year or two at most with a transfer, there is no point of the guy not getting serious playing time right away. 

I guess this all depends on what JS decides.....and what the NFL scouts decide about him....

That’s all but decided. The NFL loves measurables which JS has. They will absolutely overlook JS time at AU because he has those key measurables and one team will pick up on that, draft him early and have him sit until they feel like they can tap into the potential from those measurables. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The NFL loves measurables which JS has

I guess so....just wondering how many guys with his measurables there are playing college football now....and trying to get hooked up with some pro team as part of their back up squad.    

The main thing that JS has going for him IMO is the dearth of good upper classmen QBs in college these days.   As I look around, the best guys in terms of 'getting the job done" are young....very young. 

23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

So to summarize the thread so far:

1. First and foremost we don't know of any interest from the staff and really can't say much else until we hear something on this front.
  2. The majority of us would be excited to have him if all the dominos lineup correctly
    1. JS has to be guaranteed leaving and we need to be able to confidently tell KB as much
    2. KB would have to feel confident that he would win the starting job
    3. KB has to be a Grad Transfer to be eligible for 2019-20 season (check and confirmed) 
    4. Again, the staff themselves have to be interested in KB and confident that he would start
    5. Likely that we would have to get him here on a visit/workout first
  3. The fallout from bringing him in for one season may or may not cost us Gatewood/Willis
  4. We, as fans, aren't sure if he would beat out Bo Nix and Cord out but we're giving him the benefit of the doubt as a qb who did  lead his teams to the playoffs (something Auburn hasn't been in yet).

On sub point 5. Not sure that will be needed. There is already a lot of film on KB & he's already familiar with Cus's O due to similarities from Clemson.

On point 3. If we lose Joey/Malik it won't have to do with KB. They just flat out need to progress. Also KB only has 1 year left so little impact there.

On point 4. Gus has proven many times he doesn't see things the way fans do a good bit.

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

E

That’s all but decided. The NFL loves measurables which JS has. They will absolutely overlook JS time at AU because he has those key measurables and one team will pick up on that, draft him early and have him sit until they feel like they can tap into the potential from those measurables. 

I don't know about that. I've already seen some back pedaling on his NFL potential based on this season so far. That's why I'm waiting to see info from the program on his likelihood of leaving & if it's still the same.

Also his NFL measurables are not elite although they are good. I still think he needs to perform well to keep his stock high.

4 hours ago, oracle79 said:

With QB's under Gus, I'd prefer they only have 1 year of eligibility.

Why's that? Cam could of stayed 2 years, Marshall played for 2 years, Stidham for 3 years, but will only stay 2.

All of our transfer in QBs had more than 1 season of eligibility. Either way, I think bringing him in for next season could help not having a true freshman be thrown into the fire too soon and it break him. Now if Bo were to beat him out, more power to him. I just don't see a good reason NOT to bring him in for next season 

49 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Unless that kid heads to baseball...I think he was drafted #9. Also they have a goood freshman coming in somewhere from out here in Arizona.

Thanks, totally forgot baseball?

Arky probably has a leg up for a couple of reasons.  They have no Power 5 caliber QB. HC Chad Morris and OC Joe Craddock got close to Bryant when they were recruiting him to Clemson. 

Just now, around4ever said:

Arky probably has a leg up for a couple of reasons.  They have no Power 5 caliber QB. HC Chad Morris and OC Joe Craddock got close to Bryant when they were recruiting him to Clemson. 

? Please stop bursting my bubble.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't know about that. I've already seen some back pedaling on his NFL potential based on this season so far. That's why I'm waiting to see info from the program on his likelihood of leaving & if it's still the same.

Also his NFL measurables are not elite although they are good. I still think he needs to perform well to keep his stock high.

I still hope he stays. All of our offensive starters returning would be awesome. Still feel like they'll solve some things before season's end. Would love to see JS serve as a mentor for BN as well.

I may be in the minority, but I am happy with Bo Nix coming in unless Gatewood and/or Willis transfer out.  Besides, I think Arkansas needs him worse and it may be more appealing other than there is nothing there to do in Arkansas.

14 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I thought Storey played decent for his first start in CFB, in a hostile stadium. Showed good pocket presence, better than Stidham and threw for a few more yards than Stidham, with far less talent around him plus faced a top tier defense. Storey will likely start the remainder of the season which will only get him more experience.  

Point being, not a guarantee Bryant would upseat Storey. 

3 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I thought Storey played decent for his first start in CFB, in a hostile stadium. Showed good pocket presence, better than Stidham and threw for a few more yards than Stidham, with far less talent around him. Storey will likely start the remainder of the season which will only get him more experience.  

Point being, not a guarantee Bryant would upseat Storey. 

Storey is also one tough SOB. 

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I may be in the minority, but I am happy with Bo Nix coming in unless Gatewood and/or Willis transfer out.  Besides, I think Arkansas needs him worse and it may be more appealing other than there is nothing there to do in Arkansas.

So, you'd be disappointed for a polished hs qb to come in and lose a guy that couldn't nail down the qb position in hs or an athlete trying to play qb?

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Out of Willis, Sandberg, Gatewood and Nix, you're comfortable that we have a legit SEC quarterback? I'm not. I only see 2 viable candidates in that group and one of them is still in high school. 

53 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Just my opinion, but I believe Mullen will have his choice of Hurts or Bryant. If Hurts goes to Florida, I like our chances with Bryant. 

*** PURE speculation by me ***

And if both happen, the AU @ FL game would get off the charts attention. 

Hurts has decided to stay at Alabama as a back up instead of transferring.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/after-26-wins-in-28-starts-at-alabama-jalen-hurts-gives-up-a-year-of-eligibility-to-be-a-backup/

7 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

So, you'd be disappointed for a polished hs qb to come in and lose a guy that couldn't nail down the qb position in hs or an athlete trying to play qb?

Not saying that.  I am saying that we would have too many QB's at that point.  

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Out of Willis, Sandberg, Gatewood and Nix, you're comfortable that we have a legit SEC quarterback? I'm not. I only see 2 viable candidates in that group and one of them is still in high school. 

I am comfortable with Sandberg and Nix yes.  I would not be surprised at all if Nix was starting next year.  I am impressed with how to takes control of a room, not only on his HS team, but his competitions he did over the summer.  Very mature kid as well and is very accurate.

To everyone as a whole, I just think Arkansas is an easier path for him and Taj Boyd agrees with me as well.  Kelly would have zero competition there.

17 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Arky needs him perhaps but does he want to got to some bottom feeder with nothing going for it?   Having a relationship with the coach probably does not make up for playing on a team that will win two or three games..

JMO but I expect he would prefer to go somewhere with the possibility of being in championship contention.

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Besides, I think Arkansas needs him worse 

Their QB just made his first career start and did fairly well. We have zero real game time experience behind Stid. We can never turn down the opportunity to jump on the talent that Bryant offers.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Arky needs him perhaps but does he want to got to some bottom feeder with nothing going for it?   Having a relationship with the coach probably does not make up for playing on a team that will win two or three games..

JMO but I expect he would prefer to go somewhere with the possibility of being in championship contention.

This is a valid point, but couldn't every recruit say the same about us after the 2012 season?

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Their QB just made his first career start and did fairly well. We have zero real game time experience behind Stid. We can never turn down the opportunity to jump on the talent that Bryant offers.

I do not disagree.  And for this reason, that is why I prefaced my comment that I knew I would be in the minority.

edit:  Good to hear from you @aujeff11.  It has been a while.

Archived