Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)

Auburn2Eugene

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

The answer is an emphatic yes! Why would you even remotely celebrate Auburn losing a potential set piece to winning more games? I have all the respect for your input and dedication to the recruiting thread, E. But I like many posters feel this animosity and ill-will toward Gus Malzahn is bordering on anti-Auburn. I know you want what's best for Auburn and obviously we're not always going to see eye-to-eye but I don't see how this revelry in Gus' failings is at all helpful.

tenor.gif

The LOL-ing is to keep from crying.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus is hurting Auburn. And will continue to hurt Auburn as long as he is here. If you are Pro Gus then I have to question if you are Pro Auburn. Because Gus is not what is good or best for AU. I think 32 million will make him feel better than a few message board posters have negative views on him. 

Well it's like I've said before. I am Pro-Auburn and Auburn's success is tied to the coaches success, so yes... in a way I am now Pro-Gus, in that I don't care how Auburn wins and who is at the helm. Just win baby.

Trust me, I understand your lack of confidence. And you have every reason to be. But you can be critical without being antagonistic. Do you believe that Auburn University deserved to be turned down by Kelly Bryant? Because whether we like it or not Gus Malzahn IS Auburn Football.

Sorry if I don't find Auburn missing out on Kelly Bryant, when it appeared all but certain that he was coming, to be comical, or karmic...

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

tenor.gif

The LOL-ing is to keep from crying.

giphy.gif

Hey, as someone who grew up as one of the "fat kids" I understand a good deflection. It's just without context to set the tone, it's easy to make the wrong conclusion. Even easier with the wave of negativity that's washed over the board.

So, hey, I apologize for reading too much into that. From my interpretation it had come across as un-Auburn like and felt the need to address it. Even for all of its dysfunction, I still believe in the Auburn Family so I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.

33 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Well it's like I've said before. I am Pro-Auburn and Auburn's success is tied to the coaches success, so yes... in a way I am now Pro-Gus, in that I don't care how Auburn wins and who is at the helm. Just win baby.

I would say if you are pro Gus, you are Anti-Auburn.  Six years of mediocrity, excuses, boneheaded game plans, destroyed QB prospects, injury excuses, lack of offensive strategy adjustment as a scheme, and lack of in game adjustments, lack of player development, etc.  If you want Gus here, you must want Auburn to maybe not actually fail, but continue mediocrity.  Mediocrity is much worse and insidious than failure.  Failure eventually begets change.  Good is the ENEMY of great.  Why do you want Auburn to continue to miss out on greatness?

3 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Al.com had an article about Derek Dooley developing Drew Lock and that would be the reason for choosing Missouri. Wasn’t he pretty much already developed before Dooley arrived? 

Lock had better numbers in 2017 when he was coached by Josh Huepel. Huepel should get most of the credit for the development of Drew Lock.

8 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I would say if you are pro Gus, you are Anti-Auburn.  Six years of mediocrity, excuses, boneheaded game plans, destroyed QB prospects, injury excuses, lack of offensive strategy adjustment as a scheme, and lack of in game adjustments, lack of player development, etc.  If you want Gus here, you must want Auburn to maybe not actually fail, but continue mediocrity.  Mediocrity is much worse and insidious than failure.  Failure eventually begets change.  Good is the ENEMY of great.  Why do you want Auburn to continue to miss out on greatness?

First off, I think we disagree on how to define mediocrity. Mississippi St. now that's a mediocre program whose best season in my lifetime was in 2014 and even then they couldn't beat Bama or their rival Ole Miss, whom was a struggling team in November, nor Georgia Tech in the bowl game.

Auburn on the other may have a similar average, but has seen more highs and lows, including two trips to the big dance and 2/3 SEC title wins just in the last decade.

And before that team across the state was given free reign to do whatever they want to, it was not out of the question for there to be a sort of ebb and flow when it came to potential title contention or as it used to be called "a down year". Which sort of leads me to the second disagreement, but since when is an excuse invalid simply by virtue of its existence?

I think of Gus' tenure here like the boat that keeps springing leaks; he'll patch one up just in time for another to show. Yet despite such, Auburn has still managed to go where 85% of the rest of the conference has not. With exception to backup preparedness on the offense, I actually think Malzahn has managed to address the issues as they've come about. And ultimately, the people with the money have made the decision to see if he can continue to improve.

There is no perfect situation where Auburn does just enough to fire Malzahn and still manage achieve its goals. If next season gets Malzahn fired it will be some time before Auburn is relevant again. That of course presumes we don't make a lame-duck hire too and further set ourselves back.

So again, that is not so much as me being pro-Gus as I am pro-Auburn.

Auburn University > Gus Malzahn

But make no mistake, if Auburn performs well next year then Gus will be back another year. That may irk some of our fans but I will happily take the wins regardless of my feelings toward the coach. Given the unpredictable nature of Auburn football, I disagree that under Malzahn we are mired in mediocrity. Inconsistency sure, and that can be every bit as maddening but for one choose not to wallow in negativity and will continue to support my Tigers unconditionally.

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The talent is not the problem. It is the guy in charge of getting the most out of that talent.

Chip was the QB coach and he is gone now. Cheer up! Maybe the next QB coach will do a better job.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Chip was the QB coach and he is gone now. Cheer up! Maybe the next QB coach will do a better job.

The QB coach hasn't changed in the last 6 years at Auburn.

35 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

The QB coach hasn't changed in the last 6 years at Auburn.

Yup! The ones who have been "responsible" for the position have just been Gus's minions, so I guess they are Ginions.

39 minutes ago, eibua12 said:

So where does Missouri land next year in the SEC East, solid team coming back (Ole Miss, Arky)

1,2,3?

If things go right for them Mizzou's ceiling next year is 11-1 IMO.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:
3 minutes ago, alexava said:

I just saw this. Damn can he be given a back door technicality exit?

Nothing Poor for KB IMO. I don't think he's going to care about the bowl ban or the 5 less schollied players Mizzou can have during his 1 year there. He went to where he thought he could be best developed for the NFL for a season, not to play in a bowl game.

Per

@CecilHurt

, NCAA bylaw 14.7.2 (c) states if the postseason sanction extends for Kelly Bryant’s remaining career, he can transfer without penalty. There’s your answer if he so chooses

Wonder if we have a shot?

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nothing Poor for KB IMO. I don't think he's going to care about the bowl ban or the 5 less schollied players Mizzou can have during his 1 year there. He went to where he thought he could be best developed for the NFL for a season, not to play in a bowl game.

if other talented players started bailing around him that could change.

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

if other talented players started bailing around him that could change.

Fair point.

Until we hear something about KB wanting out at Mizzou all posts on him will remain here.

He went to Missouri to be the starter, not make it to the playoffs or a bowl game. I'm sure he hopes him and the team do well enough to be bowl eligible, but that wasn't the point of him committing.   If he wanted a championship he could have just rode the bench all the way there this year.

I dont really know why this would put KB back in play......KB chose Mizzou over us to develope and showcase his abilities and make it to the league...after what Lock did i understand why....I'm pretty sure if making the playoffs was a big part of that role then there were other places to choose with much higher opportunity ( even AU ),.....so i dont see this changing one single thing with KB

Archived