Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)

Auburn2Eugene

2 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Why were the other receivers turned looking back as if the ball could come there way. I have seen some of the one receiver routes in this offense and usually the receivers are not looking for the ball or they are blocking.

Decoys

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/27/2018 at 12:57 PM, Scotty2Hotty said:

Since the 2017 SECCG, Stidham has done nothing but regress. But some want an additional season of a 1st Round QB talent putting up FA results? Pass. 

And no, I do not believe Nix will start next season. 

Is it Stidham's fault that he hasn't progressed?  It could be a coaching issue.  It could be play designs affecting blocking, routes and QB progressions. 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:37 PM, DAG said:

You keep saying this haha. Bo Nix would not start over Kelly Bryant in this offense . Just stop.

You are so right Carl

19 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Two reasons. Number 1 is all three of those receivers are between the hashmarks. Malzahn is not throwing in the middle of the field

Malzahn is not throwing anywhere. Apparently Malzahn called/approved a play that required throwing to the middle of the field but Stidham didn't turn the ball loose. Otherwise, why are there three WR between the hashmarks?

17 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Why were the other receivers turned looking back as if the ball could come there way. I have seen some of the one receiver routes in this offense and usually the receivers are not looking for the ball or they are blocking.

Sorry but you apparently don't understand the intent.....those posters did not want it to sound as if JS actually missed the play....gotta find some way to blame it on Gus 

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Malzahn is not throwing anywhere. Apparently Malzahn called/approved a play that required throwing to the middle of the field but Stidham didn't turn the ball loose. Otherwise, why are there three WR between the hashmarks?

One could also ask why is he looking left, instead of between the hashmarks, unless he was given the one receiver to throw it to on sideline. 

No one on this site knows but can only speculate.

47 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

One could also ask why is he looking left, instead of between the hashmarks, unless he was given the one receiver to throw it to on sideline. 

No one on this site knows but can only speculate.

I understand that most good quarterbacks try not to "stare down" their receivers...look left and throw right.....unfortunately JS seems to identify his receiver with his eyes almost immediately. 

So do we stand a real chance for this guy or is all this just wishful thinking ( just asking because we almost never obsess on things on this board that might never happen).  

2 hours ago, bg5 said:

So do we stand a real chance for this guy or is all this just wishful thinking ( just asking because we almost never obsess on things on this board that might never happen).  

Not sure....seems we can obsess for page after page over about anything....real or fanciful....?

1 hour ago, War to the Eagle said:

Huh.

Well, I have no info. But I've been asking myself if events at Clemson would have unfolded the way they did if there were no "issues"?

21 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

From what I hear from Clemson contacts we don't want Bryant at Auburn. And it's definitely not sour grapes.

How would Clemson folks know what Auburn wants?

I don't think Bryant is the answer. One as the season has progressed I have changed my view on Stidham. I don't see him leaving for NFL. We talk about our coaches developing QB's but we never put any of the onus on the QB himself.  Over the years bama has brought in one great HS QB after another and they have flopped and yet Tua comes in and as a freshman in biggest game plays lights out and then matches it this year. Same coaches who couldn't develop the other great HS QB's at bama all of a sudden are geniuses when Tua shows up.. You can talk it and talk it but the player has to do it. Every coach worth his salt works on footwork, checking through your passing tree, not locking in on one receiver.  The coach is not on the field the QB is.

I have watched Tua he does so many things naturally quick reads and check downs, looking off the defender, etc. He was doing this as a freshman Stidham has played three years and still does not do this. How much of that is Stidham and how much is the coaches. No doubt Stidham can make all the throws when given time but a great QB an NFL ready QB can do it when the world seems to be collapsing around him.

I am not letting the coaches off  when a QB has issues you can adjust the Offense around the QB to take advantage of QB's strengths and limit his weaknesses. With Stidham quick slants to Seth Williams, wheel routes to back, Cox leaking out, throwing to TE. all of these plays force LB's to stay home instead of blitzing. The word is out Stidham has happy feet when pressured so teams like So Miss are blitzing on almost every down. We have not adjusted the O to take advantage of this.

https://rubbingtherock.com/2018/10/01/clemson-football-5-transfer-options-kelly-bryant/

It's a slideshow so I can't really quote it but I'll list the 5 teams they mention with my thoughts, FWIW.

5. Georgia Tech

The triple option could be interesting with Kelly but I don't think he is that good enough of a runner to make it a main feature of his game. Plus, GaT hasn't been solid and wouldn't likely make Bryant look any better than he already has looked to most. Proximity might be a factor considering Atlanta is relatively closer than some landing spots.

4. NC State

Interesting landing spot. They have done well with quarterbacks who transferred in over the last few years. Kind of an upper-middle tier in the ACC the last few years though and I would think he'd make this decision out of spite. Sure it's somewhat appealing to beat the same ACC teams and the one you left but is it really worth going to a lesser team?

3. Colorado

No, just no.

2. Auburn

Only if Stidham is 100% leaving and even then I just don't know if we'd take him. It makes sense as a fan but the coaches might not think it's needed.

1. Arkansas

Not sure he wants to be a part of the rebuilding process but I get the coaching connection.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't think Bryant is the answer. One as the season has progressed I have changed my view on Stidham. I don't see him leaving for NFL. We talk about our coaches developing QB's but we never put any of the onus on the QB himself.  Over the years bama has brought in one great HS QB after another and they have flopped and yet Tua comes in and as a freshman in biggest game plays lights out and then matches it this year. Same coaches who couldn't develop the other great HS QB's at bama all of a sudden are geniuses when Tua shows up.. You can talk it and talk it but the player has to do it. Every coach worth his salt works on footwork, checking through your passing tree, not locking in on one receiver.  The coach is not on the field the QB is.

I have watched Tua he does so many things naturally quick reads and check downs, looking off the defender, etc. He was doing this as a freshman Stidham has played three years and still does not do this. How much of that is Stidham and how much is the coaches. No doubt Stidham can make all the throws when given time but a great QB an NFL ready QB can do it when the world seems to be collapsing around him.

I am not letting the coaches off  when a QB has issues you can adjust the Offense around the QB to take advantage of QB's strengths and limit his weaknesses. With Stidham quick slants to Seth Williams, wheel routes to back, Cox leaking out, throwing to TE. all of these plays force LB's to stay home instead of blitzing. The word is out Stidham has happy feet when pressured so teams like So Miss are blitzing on almost every down. We have not adjusted the O to take advantage of this.

Wait I am confused. What STARTER at Alabama has flopped besides Blake Barnett? and he ended up getting replaced by Jalen Hurts, who was pretty efficient. The difference is Alabama now has a true dual threat QB and not just a game manager type. 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Wait I am confused. What STARTER at Alabama has flopped besides Blake Barnett? and he ended up getting replaced by Jalen Hurts, who was pretty efficient. The difference is Alabama now has a true dual threat QB and not just a game manager type. 

Yeah. Their starters succeed, period. As for the other guys, getting beat out by the next 5* phenom in line doesn't qualify as flopping. 

On 9/26/2018 at 2:19 PM, abw0004 said:

I may be in the minority, but I am happy with Bo Nix coming in unless Gatewood and/or Willis transfer out.  Besides, I think Arkansas needs him worse and it may be more appealing other than there is nothing there to do in Arkansas.

Northwest Arkansas is actually really nice and one of the fastest growing areas of the country, unlike the rest of Arkansas lol.

We do have arguably the #1 WR recruiting class coming in (depending who you ask it's us or OU) for 2019 so that will help but the OL will still be a major problem. Definitely think he'd beat out Storey, much better fit for this system IMO. Be a nice stopgap to get the younger QBs more seasoning to start in 2020 and beyond.

I didn't realize his cousin is Martavis Bryant until a couple of days ago.

10 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Northwest Arkansas is actually really nice and one of the fastest growing areas of the country, unlike the rest of Arkansas lol.

We do have arguably the #1 WR recruiting class coming in (depending who you ask it's us or OU) for 2019 so that will help but the OL will still be a major problem. Definitely think he'd beat out Storey, much better fit for this system IMO. Be a nice stopgap to get the younger QBs more seasoning to start in 2020 and beyond.

I didn't realize his cousin is Martavis Bryant until a couple of days ago.

I don't know about the other stuff, but can attest to Fayetteville being a really nice place, tucked into a beautiful area. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Their starters succeed, period. As for the other guys, getting beat out by the next 5* phenom in line doesn't qualify as flopping. 

Yeah I got to hear the response to this. I am a tad bit confused on that assessment 

Archived