Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)

Auburn2Eugene

19 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Northwest Arkansas is actually really nice and one of the fastest growing areas of the country, unlike the rest of Arkansas lol.

We do have arguably the #1 WR recruiting class coming in (depending who you ask it's us or OU) for 2019 so that will help but the OL will still be a major problem. Definitely think he'd beat out Storey, much better fit for this system IMO. Be a nice stopgap to get the younger QBs more seasoning to start in 2020 and beyond.

I didn't realize his cousin is Martavis Bryant until a couple of days ago.

One of my favorite trips ever was floating about 45 mi of the Buffalo. Stopped for lunch in Gilbert. Almost drowned, pretty sure we almost got Deliveranced by some dudes on 4-wheelers, bat caves, cottonmouths, hitchhiking... it was an adventure. But yeah man, one of the most beautiful places I've been. Oh yeah, we also got drunk in a VFW in Heber Springs with a one-legged trick waterskiier. 

My folks met in Fayetteville. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

One of my favorite trips ever was floating about 45 mi of the Buffalo. Stopped for lunch in Gilbert. Almost drowned, pretty sure we almost got Deliveranced by some dudes on 4-wheelers, bat caves, cottonmouths, hitchhiking... it was an adventure. But yeah man, one of the most beautiful places I've been. Oh yeah, we also got drunk in a VFW in Heber Springs with a one-legged trick waterskiier. 

Rowl tide!

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

Wait I am confused. What STARTER at Alabama has flopped besides Blake Barnett? and he ended up getting replaced by Jalen Hurts, who was pretty efficient. The difference is Alabama now has a true dual threat QB and not just a game manager type. 

David Cornwell, Alec Morris, Phillip Ely, Blake Sims, Phillip Sims, Star Jackson, AJ Mccarron, Nick Fanuzzi, Jacob Coker, Cooper Blakeman, Blake Barnett. 

Most if not all of these were 4 and 5 star QB's. McCarron was better than a game manager, Jalen hurt was Nick Marshall but not as good a passer  and then you have Tua most of these others were never developed or left bama. My point is that the player themselves are a big part of their development their temperament, the time they spend looking at film, their intangible feel for the game.  

At Alabama they have been so dominant on D, great RB's and Dominant O-Line their QB's could be game managers and win but how many of them did they develop into anything beyond game managers. 

We have had two great QB's recently Cam and Nick some fans say they were natural talents and the coaches did nothing to develop them others point out how they got better as the year went on.  Is that on the coaches or the players. Hurts as much as he won it was more about the team that he was on then what a great QB he was. I am not knocking Hurts I wish he had come to Auburn. A great QB he is not but a great leader he is and you can win with a great leader.

Tua has it all a great arm which a lot of QB's have, touch which fewer QB's have, but on top of that he has a natural feel for the game which is what helps him to read defenses quickly and make decisions quickly. Coaches might have helped him but most of that feel is on him.  I like Stidham and I think we could put him in a better Offense but the more I watch him the more I don't think he has that intangible feel for the game.  That is not something coaches can teach.

38 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Northwest Arkansas is actually really nice and one of the fastest growing areas of the country, unlike the rest of Arkansas lol.

We do have arguably the #1 WR recruiting class coming in (depending who you ask it's us or OU) for 2019 so that will help but the OL will still be a major problem. Definitely think he'd beat out Storey, much better fit for this system IMO. Be a nice stopgap to get the younger QBs more seasoning to start in 2020 and beyond.

I didn't realize his cousin is Martavis Bryant until a couple of days ago.

North west Arkansas is awesome.There is a lot to do there . There is billions in industry there . Jb hunt, Tyson, Central States, Walmart . It’s an impressive area 

Obviously I want Bryant at AU . For his abilities that makes sense 

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't think Bryant is the answer. One as the season has progressed I have changed my view on Stidham. I don't see him leaving for NFL. We talk about our coaches developing QB's but we never put any of the onus on the QB himself.  Over the years bama has brought in one great HS QB after another and they have flopped and yet Tua comes in and as a freshman in biggest game plays lights out and then matches it this year. Same coaches who couldn't develop the other great HS QB's at bama all of a sudden are geniuses when Tua shows up.. You can talk it and talk it but the player has to do it. Every coach worth his salt works on footwork, checking through your passing tree, not locking in on one receiver.  The coach is not on the field the QB is.

I agree with you that the player has to do it. And stats don't tell the whole story. But note JS’s stat trail from his freshman year at Baylor, to his first year at AU, to his second year. Their is an interesting trend that should be considered. At the very least, I don’t think it should be completely ignored. 

CE25A0D5-01B5-4025-8B01-889F7538A41C.jpeg

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

David Cornwell, Alec Morris, Phillip Ely, Blake Sims, Phillip Sims, Star Jackson, AJ Mccarron, Nick Fanuzzi, Jacob Coker, Cooper Blakeman, Blake Barnett. 

Most if not all of these were 4 and 5 star QB's. McCarron was better than a game manager, Jalen hurt was Nick Marshall but not as good a passer  and then you have Tua most of these others were never developed or left bama. My point is that the player themselves are a big part of their development their temperament, the time they spend looking at film, their intangible feel for the game.  

At Alabama they have been so dominant on D, great RB's and Dominant O-Line their QB's could be game managers and win but how many of them did they develop into anything beyond game managers. 

We have had two great QB's recently Cam and Nick some fans say they were natural talents and the coaches did nothing to develop them others point out how they got better as the year went on.  Is that on the coaches or the players. Hurts as much as he won it was more about the team that he was on then what a great QB he was. I am not knocking Hurts I wish he had come to Auburn. A great QB he is not but a great leader he is and you can win with a great leader.

Tua has it all a great arm which a lot of QB's have, touch which fewer QB's have, but on top of that he has a natural feel for the game which is what helps him to read defenses quickly and make decisions quickly. Coaches might have helped him but most of that feel is on him.  I like Stidham and I think we could put him in a better Offense but the more I watch him the more I don't think he has that intangible feel for the game.  That is not something coaches can teach.

I don’t necessarily agree with your list as some of those players you named have had some quality play nor can I say I agree with your assessment at Bama. However, I do agree with that you say about players have to improve as well. Its not all on the coaches.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Wait I am confused. What STARTER at Alabama has flopped besides Blake Barnett? and he ended up getting replaced by Jalen Hurts, who was pretty efficient. The difference is Alabama now has a true dual threat QB and not just a game manager type. 

Cornwell comes to mind...back in Juco I think...and there have been a number of others.....but I'm not gonna look them up but go back a couple years and look at the guys they signed who are no longer there. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Cornwell comes to mind...back in Juco I think...and there have been a number of others.....but I'm not gonna look them up but go back a couple years and look at the guys they signed who are no longer there. 

I am not saying you will have players who don’t live up to their potential. I am asking what player who has remained the starter at Alabama flopped? I have yet to seen it. Maybe John Parker Wilson? But no other player at the QB position  I can think of during the Saban era  has stayed as the starter and not produced. That’s what I am trying to differentiate here. Blake Barnett flopped and didn’t live up to his potential at Bama, so Bama utilized a true freshman, who ends up being efficient enough in his skill set to allow them to be successful. That is not the same thing that is occurring at Auburn. If JS is not stepping up then whom is our second option? I mean we got 4 star Cord Sandberg, right? We got 4 star Joey Gatewood, Correct?

It’s not like we have chopped liver back there. MW is a 3 star and would be a stretch. So I can’t agree with this idea that guys aren’t being developed over there. The numbers don’t necessarily speak to that. Like there is no way you can say Blake Sims is a flop based on his starting numbers over there. 

And another thing that I find funny as just a fan of the game. I remember how a good majority of people were saying how hyped up he was coming into the season and how he wasn’t going to be that good. Now he is lighting it up and so quickly the people’s tune change...

so back to Bryant Kelly. Do I think he is the answer to our offense? Yes. Do I think this would be the best place for Bryant Kelly? Probably not unless he uses his innate athletic ability to give himself a look.

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am not saying you will have players who don’t live up to their potential. I am asking what player who has remained the starter at Alabama flopped? I have yet to seen it. Maybe John Parker Wilson? But no other player at the QB position  I can think of during the Saban era  has stayed as the starter and not produced. That’s what I am trying to differentiate here. Blake Barnett flopped and didn’t live up to his potential at Bama, so Bama utilized a true freshman, who ends up being efficient enough in his skill set to allow them to be successful. That is not the same thing that is occurring at Auburn. If JS is not stepping up then whom is our second option? I mean we got 4 star Cord Sandberg, right? We got 4 star Joey Gatewood, Correct?

It’s not like we have chopped liver back there. MW is a 3 star and would be a stretch. So I can’t agree with this idea that guys aren’t being developed over there. The numbers don’t necessarily speak to that. Like there is no way you can say Blake Sims is a flop based on his starting numbers over there. 

Just saying that the success rate on QBs everywhere is pretty questionable.   Bama had several top QBs and yet brought a guy in from FSU who ended up with the job a  few years ago.   

JMO but when a highly regarded QB fails to bloom I don't blame the coaches....I looked at the 2015 top  high school QBs and most are not at their original schools and the others have not reached anything near stardom....other than Rosen who did not hang around UCLA to wait on Chip....and pretty much the same thing from  2016.   Top prospects ending up transferring right away.  .

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings?view=rn300&sort=rank&class=2015

8 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We talk about our coaches developing QB's but we never put any of the onus on the QB himself.

Looking at history (since past performance is still the best indicator of future performance) we have so far seen:

Neil Caudle
Kodi Burns
Barrett Trotter
Chris Todd
Robert Cooper
Clint Moseley
Kiehl Frazier
Zeke Pike*
Jonathan Wallace
Jeremy Johnson
Jason Smith*
Sean White
Tyler Queen
Woody Barrett*
John Franklin III
Jarrett Stidham
Malik Willis
Joey Gatewood

Not all recruited by Gus, but all coached at some point by Gus.  To be fair, maybe Zeke Pike only for a spring? and can't remember how much Jason Smith got at QB, but I think some. Not sure how long Woody Barrett was here either.

So, 15 -18 QB's under his coaching (I left out the two phenoms of course).  How many of them got better with Gus?  I'll leave it for you to decide if that's on coaching or players.

Side note, it was extremely depressing to look through the past recruiting classes and see the ones that didn't pan out.

19 hours ago, McLoofus said:

? Deliveranced.........posts like these make my day......thanks loof?

8 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

? Deliveranced.........posts like these make my day......thanks loof?

Definitely something we look back and laugh about... now. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Definitely something we look back and laugh about... now. 

Has all the makings of a great movie........just like Deliverance your story has treacherous waters and male bondage errrr ...bonding?.........Lord forgive me I kid Loof..........earlier this week I paid bammer a compliment ......really just being honest......and had to wash me mouth out with soap.....now I must go to confession ?

11 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Has all the makings of a great movie........just like Deliverance your story has treacherous waters and male bondage errrr ...bonding?.........Lord forgive me I kid Loof..........earlier this week I paid bammer a compliment ......really just being honest......and had to wash me mouth out with soap.....now I must go to confession ?

That's why we're better than them, Kev-O :)

5* bondage joke! Loved it!

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

Kelly Bryant would be a MONSTER in a Gus Offense!!!!  

Count this as me signing the petition!

+1 here. if we got him, fatten up Whitlow a bit, and get a coupe of big boys to open some holes it would be like 2013 all over again, except better

17 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Looking at history (since past performance is still the best indicator of future performance) we have so far seen:

Neil Caudle
Kodi Burns
Barrett Trotter
Chris Todd
Robert Cooper
Clint Moseley
Kiehl Frazier
Zeke Pike*
Jonathan Wallace
Jeremy Johnson
Jason Smith*
Sean White
Tyler Queen
Woody Barrett*
John Franklin III
Jarrett Stidham
Malik Willis
Joey Gatewood

Good Lord that's a scary list! 

From that list, minus Stidham, give me SW all day and Chris Todd as his back up.  Otherwise, I see a bunch of WRs, TEs, and DBs.

21 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Neil Caudle
Kodi Burns
Barrett Trotter
Chris Todd
Robert Cooper
Clint Moseley
Kiehl Frazier
Zeke Pike*
Jonathan Wallace
Jeremy Johnson
Jason Smith*
Sean White
Tyler Queen
Woody Barrett*
John Franklin III
Jarrett Stidham
Malik Willis
Joey Gatewood

Not all recruited by Gus, but all coached at some point by Gus.  To be fair, maybe Zeke Pike only for a spring? and can't remember how much Jason Smith got at QB, but I think some. Not sure how long Woody Barrett was here either.

So, 15 -18 QB's under his coaching (I left out the two phenoms of course).  How many of them got better with Gus?  I'll leave it for you to decide if that's on coaching or players.

Side note, it was extremely depressing to look through the past recruiting classes and see the ones that didn't pan out.

You know I really hated reading that...........like they always say, "Truth Hurts"?

Only reason we are still top 10 is case a 2 loss bammer team needs to leap frog to the NC game............Sorry I need to stop........cant remember being this upset over a season not even half over.........and I am 40 plus years a fan.

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

Good Lord that's a scary list! 

From that list, minus Stidham, give me SW all day and Chris Todd as his back up.  Otherwise, I see a bunch of WRs, TEs, and DBs.

Neil Caudle is still one of the all time greats...at holder.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Neil Caudle is still one of the all time greats...at holder.

And Sean White is still one of the all-time puff...puff...passers

1 minute ago, mustache eagle said:

National Championship quality

He's on a lot of memorabilia.

Last guy to hold the ball in his hands in the National Championship if I'm not mistaken!

neilcaud.jpg

Archived