Clemson Grad Transfer QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)

Auburn2Eugene

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, WDE427 said:

How much eligibility does he have left? My problem is if he does come then he will leap above everybody else because that’s the style Malzahn is looking for. If he “has been waiting his turn” why did a freshman come in and take his job. What about everybody else who has been waiting? Nobody knows how good anyone else on the team is because they don’t play. If I was a quarterback deciding to come out of high school I would probably have second thoughts because what happens when you get there and some other quarterback transfers. I will say this if he does come and starts(which he probably will) we do good for one or two years and then we spend another 3-4 years trying to find that quarterback again. Why do we have a coach that only wants his offensive philosophy and not willing to change nothing, just keep waiting for that one quarterback to come through. That’s just my opinion 

Because that freshman is better than probably 90 percent of QBs in the nation save for Tua, Will Grier and Kyler. He is also better than JS. Yes that’s how I feel.

My 2 cents:

1. Never have been impressed with KB 

2. Don't think Willis is the answer next year unless he really improves during the off season.

3,  Saw Cord play in HS and he could end up being the starter next year.  He is pretty good.

4. Joey - Untested.  Would like to see him get some time this year...maybe Liberty (haven't seen him in person)

5.  Nix  - believe he will sign and could have the talent to start next year (haven't seen him in person)

Personally don't want to have KB come in as I think it will be a disruption and the QB talent by next year will be equivalent if not better.

JS will be gone...or at least he should...

If Jarrett leaves I , for the first time ever, think KB would be assured by Gus to be the opening game starter. I haven’t seen enough of Joey, Malik or Cord to know how they would do. But I do think Bo has the “It” factor that would make him win the job if JS leaves and KB doesn’t come. I doubt Bo would beat KB out. Simply because he has the running ability to create a game plan around. 

4 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

My 2 cents:

1. Never have been impressed with KB 

2. Don't think Willis is the answer next year unless he really improves during the off season.

3,  Saw Cord play in HS and he could end up being the starter next year.  He is pretty good.

4. Joey - Untested.  Would like to see him get some time this year...maybe Liberty (haven't seen him in person)

5.  Nix  - believe he will sign and could have the talent to start next year (haven't seen him in person)

Personally don't want to have KB come in as I think it will be a disruption and the QB talent by next year will be equivalent if not better.

JS will be gone...or at least he should...

No disrespect but you saw cord Sandberg play several years ago in high school. He has never played 1 full quarter of college football. Nobody has a clue on how he currently stands right now in this offense, particularly his development.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

No disrespect but you saw cord Sandberg play several years ago in high school. He has never played 1 full quarter of college football. Nobody has a clue on how he currently stands right now in this offense, particularly his development.

I get what you are putting down.  And no offense taken.  However, he has the talent (or at least he did).  I think his maturity will be a benefit.  I would still like to see JG get some game reps along with Cord.  Let's hope that we jump on A&M early and big so that we can get some of those guys some playing time.

KB is probably covering all his bases by visiting but I highly doubt he would end up at AU with the absolute dumpster fire we have on offense at the moment.  He seems like a smart kid and has to realize our offense would not benefit him in getting ready for the NFL as it is currently constituted and would he want to help break in a new OC who will still be under Gus’s thumb?  

Assuming Gus stays I think its a Willis, Cord, Nix battle next year.  I would be shocked if JS stays. 

Some general thoughts...

There’s been a whole lot of baseless assumption making about our young quarterbacks. There’s no evidence that Gatewood will change positions. People are assuming he’s struggling because one person claimed to have a source that said so. Willis has played minimal reps most of which were in garbage time, so there’s it’s kind of pointless to make assumptions about  how good he will be.

That said, Bryant’s in game experience would give him a huge leg up over any of our current backups, especially if he enrolled in spring.

I think this completely depends on what happens with JS, another person a lot of people are making way too many assumptions about. He has a lot of things NFL scouts claim to like, but he’s clearly not ready for the NFL. He is still throwing inconsistently like an underclassmen and often making bad decisions. If I were an NFL team, I wouldn’t draft him but would consider him in free agency.   The only player we really lose next year on offense is Ryan Smith. So, if he comes back, he’ll have another opportunity to show what he can do And improve his draft stock. If he leaves, he has to hope free agency gets him on a team. If I was Stidham, I’d come back, work heavily on decision making in the off-season, and hope to showcase what I can do next year. But it is hard to tell with players sometimes. Stidham could be impatient and want to go to the NFL now. 

Ultimately, I think we miss out on Bryant because it’s not clear at this point if Stidham returns or not.

I think whether or not Gus is here next year will have an effect on Kelly; to what degree I am not sure of.  I honestly think that if Gus loses the rest of the SEC games on our slate, he is gone. If we bring in a big time offensive minded HC, we will be in good shape all the way around recruiting wise.  I would love to get Jeff Brohm,  Major Applewhite, Lane Kiffin, and maybe Matt Campbell & Bill Clark. Brohm is my first choice in that he has NFL experience. I like John Grass at Jax State. Brian Harsin from Boise State is another interesting coach. If Gus comes back for 2019, I think it will be with Kendall Briles as his OC. 

I think our next coach will be one with a great offensive mind. I am not opposed to a defensive minded coach whatsoever. I do not see Chip coming back for 2019. I think Gus will be told he must hire a stellar OC with a proven track record running a HUNH offense. Yes, Kendall has some baggage, but I think he has redeemed himself with the job he is doing at Houston. Time will tell this story no doubt.

Sorry it took me so long to bring the thread back over fellas. I work nights now so was sleeping when the news came out.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I know he must sign before Jarrett declares but intermediate sources should be able to work the intentions out. 

Not true. He’s a grad transfer. Davis Webb signed with Cal in May 2016 and started in 2016.

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

This is why you don't listen to idiots that have no clue what they are talking about.  Bryant was in town the day after an insider said the staff wasn't interested.  LOL so connected. 

Taking a shot at WDE or potentially myself was completely uncalled for Corch. You're better than that. Not sure where WDE got his info but mine came from Ben Wolk the same day as we posted. One of the better recruiting reporters in the industry. It was a miss. It happens.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Nope can’t be true! This guy is a lower tier status.

More like he's a jack wagon because he cost us a legit shot at Deshaun Watson way back when.

50 minutes ago, Auskip said:

I'm glad Cam and Nick didn't take your advice.

KB is a decent dual threat, but I'm sorry, he couldn't carry the jocks of either of those two.

48 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Some general thoughts...

There’s been a whole lot of baseless assumption making about our young quarterbacks. There’s no evidence that Gatewood will change positions. People are assuming he’s struggling because one person claimed to have a source that said so. Willis has played minimal reps most of which were in garbage time, so there’s it’s kind of pointless to make assumptions about  how good he will be.

That said, Bryant’s in game experience would give him a huge leg up over any of our current backups, especially if he enrolled in spring.

I think this completely depends on what happens with JS, another person a lot of people are making way too many assumptions about. He has a lot of things NFL scouts claim to like, but he’s clearly not ready for the NFL. He is still throwing inconsistently like an underclassmen and often making bad decisions. If I were an NFL team, I wouldn’t draft him but would consider him in free agency.   The only player we really lose next year on offense is Ryan Smith. So, if he comes back, he’ll have another opportunity to show what he can do And improve his draft stock. If he leaves, he has to hope free agency gets him on a team. If I was Stidham, I’d come back, work heavily on decision making in the off-season, and hope to showcase what I can do next year. But it is hard to tell with players sometimes. Stidham could be impatient and want to go to the NFL now. 

Ultimately, I think we miss out on Bryant because it’s not clear at this point if Stidham returns or not.

I tend to agree with you about Stidham, but I’ve seen several “experts” who still project him as a third or fourth round pick. I don’t really get it, but I’m not an “expert.”

56 minutes ago, Auskip said:

I'm glad Cam and Nick didn't take your advice.

2 freakish talents, 1 of whom was a generational type talent. I've never coached an offense but I'm pretty sure I could have called winning plays with them

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Taking a shot at WDE or potentially myself was completely uncalled for Corch. You're better than that. Not sure where WDE got his info but mine came from Ben Wolk the same day as we posted. One of the better recruiting reporters in the industry. It was a miss. It happens.

Not intended towards you at all E

21 minutes ago, hqsi99 said:

I tend to agree with you about Stidham, but I’ve seen several “experts” who still project him as a third or fourth round pick. I don’t really get it, but I’m not an “expert.”

JS is likely gone regardless of where his draft stock is or ends up FWIW.

Archived