Redshirt Candidates

Zeek

https://auburn.247sports.com/LongFormArticle/A-comprehensive-look-at-where-Auburn-players-stand-as-redshirt-candidates-122544281/#122544281_1

Where Auburn players stand as redshirt candidates
By BRANDON MARCELLO 11 hours ago

AUBURN, Alabama — The new redshirt rule across college football have provided coaches some breathing room this season.

It has also caused a few headaches, as starters and key backups have packed their bags and left teams across the country. It's happened at Auburn, as many know, where two starters left the program last week (tight end Jalen Harris and receiver Nate Craig-Myers).

What the new redshirt rule allows is for a player (who hasn't redshirted already) to maintain an additional year of eligibility if they play in four games or less.
Now that Auburn has hit the four-game mark on the schedule, let's break down how many games players have appeared in (and started) during the Tigers' 3-1 start.

The following participation numbers were gathered from box scores, and are not official.

With these numbers in hand, Auburn Undercover breaks down the top redshirt candidates who have already played this season -- or are still sitting on the bench.

Key
X: Start
Y: Appearance
*: No longer on roster

FOUR GAMES

QB Jarrett Stidham XXXX
RB Kam Martin XYXX
HB Chandler Cox XXXX
WR Anthony Schwartz XYYY
LT Prince Tega Wanogho XXXX
LG Marquel Harrell XXXX
RG Mike Horton XXXX
RT Jack Driscoll XXXX
Buck Nick Coe XXXX
DT Dontavius Russell XXXX
DT Derrick Brown XXXX
DE Marlon Davidson XXXX
LB Darrell Williams XXXX
LB Deshaun Davis XXXX
DB Jeremiah Dinson XXXX
S Daniel Thomas XXXX
CB Jamel Dean XXXY
DB Javaris Davis XXXX
DB Jordyn Peters XYYY
Buck Big Kat Bryant YYYY
LB K.J. Britt YYYY
CB Noah Igbinoghene YXXX
S Jamien Sherwood YYYY
H/K Ian Shannon YYYY
LB Montavious Atkinson YYYX
LB T.D. Moultry YYYY
RT Austin Troxell YYYY
DT Andrew Williams YYYY
TE Sal Cannella YYYY
OL Tucker Brown YXYY
P Arryn Siposs XXXY
Spencer Nigh YYYY
WR Seth Williams YYXY
S Smoke Monday YYYY
WR Ryan Davis YYXX
RB Shaun Shivers YXYY
K Anders Carlson XXXX
RB JaTarvious Whitlow YYYY
DS Bill Taylor XXXX
DE Richard Jibunor YYYY

Redshirt candidate: DE Richard Jibunor

Richard Jibunor has had a heck of a debut as a pass rusher, recording two sacks to tie Smoke Monday and Big Kat Bryant (all true freshmen) for the team lead in sacks with two apiece. Still, with as much depth as the Tigers have on the defensive line, it might be wise to sit Jubinor for the remainder of the season after playing the first four games. Either decision is a good one, but if they can give him an additional year of eligibility, that's all the better (unless coaches believe he could be a three-year player).

THREE GAMES

WR Darius Slayton XYX
WR Shedrick Jackson XYY
CB Devan Barrett YYY
LB Zakoby McClain YYY
TE John Samuel Shenker YYY
OT Bailey Sharp YYY
DT Tyrone Truesdell YYY
C Kaleb Kim XXX
RB Asa Martin YYY
LB Chandler Wooten YYY
WR Nate Craig-Myers XXX*
TE Jalen Harris YYY*

Redshirt candidates: LB Zakoby McClain, RB Asa Martin

Freshman linebacker Zakoby McClain has one tackle and should probably sit after playing in one more game this season. Running back Asa Martin could be a special player at some point, but he has a fumble and only 13 yards rushing on two carries. He had a great 33-yard catch last week, but at this point it might be best to sit him and give him a redshirt season.

TWO GAMES

RG Nick Brahms XY
CB Roger McCreary YY
LB Josh Marsh YY
S Christian Tutt YY
DT Coynis Miller YY
WR Marquis McClain YY
DT Daquan Newkirk YY
DT Gary Walker YY
WR Will Hastings YY
WR Eli Stove XY
QB Malik Willis YY
WR Matthew Hill YY
HB Harold Joiner YY

Redshirt candidates: CB Roger McCreary, LB Josh Marsh, DT Coynis Miller, WR Will Hastings, WR Eli Stove, QB Malik Willis, WR Matthew Hill, HB Harold Joiner

Cornerback Roger McCreary already has his feet wet with some nice experience, and barring injury issues, he should be able to play in a couple more games and redshirt.

Freshman Josh Marsh is on crutches this week with his left knee wrapped, and while he was a high possibility to redshirt before the undisclosed injury, it's almost set in stone now.

Defensive tackle Coynis Miller has one tackle as a true freshman.

One of the more interesting decisions could involve both Will Hastings and Eli Stove. Neither player has recorded a stat despite being thrown on the field in Week 2, the week before the LSU game, after recovering from anterior cruciate ligament surgery in March. Gus Malzahn didn't rule out the possibility of redshirting them this season as they can still play in two more games before exhausting this season of eligibility. The thinking here at Auburn Undercover is that coaches want them 100 percent for the big games on the schedule, which could include the road trip to Mississippi State next week.

And, yes, Malik Willis is on this list. If injuries do not pop up and Jarrett Stidham remains healthy, it's possible the Tigers redshirt the true sophomore this season, though that appears unlikely.

If you don't see receiver Matthew Hill or H-Back Harold Joiner on the field this week, we expect them to redshirt.

ONE GAME

DB Malcolm Askew Y
QB Devin Adams Y
CB Traivon Leonard Y
QB Cord Sandberg Y
Sam Sherrod Y
DL Caleb Johnson Y
RB Cedric Chambers Y
DL Craig Carter Y
LB Michael Harris Y
RB Malik Miller Y
RB C.J. Tolbert Y
LB Robert Muschamp Y
DB Devin Guice Y
OG Tashawn Manning Y
DT Jaunta'vius Johnson Y
OL Peyton Nance Y
PR Griffin King Y
DT Alec Jackson Y
DB Jayvaughn Myers Y*

Redshirt candidates: CB Traivon Leonard, QB Cord Sandberg, DL Caleb Johnson, RB Malik Miller, OG Tashawn Manning

These players are the perfect potential redshirt candidates, though it's possible Malik Miller and Tashawn Manning are not redshirted this season. Manning, especially, could see more than four games of action this season.

Quarterback Cord Sandberg appeared in the Alabama State game, but unless something crazy happens, he should be a 25-year-old redshirt freshman in the spring as the Tigers look to potentially replace Jarrett Stidham at quarterback.

Running back Malik Miller has had a rough career. He played in three games as a freshman, but injured his knee. He returned in 2017 but barely saw action, though he did recover a blocked punt for a touchdown. He is now the fourth man at best on the depth chart at running back. It's believed he is already a redshirt player, so he's probably not a candidate.

NO APPEARANCES
QB Joey Gatewood
WR Kolbi Fuqua
OL Jalil Irvin
OL Kameron Stutts
OT Prince Micheal Sammons

Quarterback Joey Gatewood has yet to play as a true freshman, and we doubt he plays in more than two games this season, so expect him to redshirt. Receiver Kolbi Fuqua appears set for a redshirt season barring injuries on the depth chart. Offensive linemen Jalil Irvin and Kameron Stutts will sit out the season as they continue to develop under position coach J.B. Grimes.

Prince Micheal Sammons has already redshirted as a freshman, so he's not a candidate to redshirt and will need to make some big leaps forward in the spring to be in the rotation along the offensive line next season as a junior.

Well put together piece by BMarc

I'm always fascinated with who gets the RS and who doesn't

Read an article yesterday saying that Hastings and Stove redshirting is certainly a possibility still. Hastings made reference to the mental part of getting past the injury which is understandable. Stove took a hit to his knee in the LSU game that may have gotten in his head too. I never had an injury like that but I don't doubt the mental aspect is a huge one. Playing tentatively can get you hurt again. 

18 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Read an article yesterday saying that Hastings and Stove redshirting is certainly a possibility still. Hastings made reference to the mental part of getting past the injury which is understandable. Stove took a hit to his knee in the LSU game that may have gotten in his head too. I never had an injury like that but I don't doubt the mental aspect is a huge one. Playing tentatively can get you hurt again. 

Tore my labrum and bicep completely my last year wrestling in college. It took at least a year after the surgery until I could shoot in on someone and not hesitate or fear my arm popping out of place again. It's very much a "falling off the horse" thing and it can be hard to get back on properly. You can't compete at the SEC level if you're not 100% ready to get back on the horse...they can smell your fear!

Metaphor aside, I do think it would be wise for both of them to consider it and come back next year ready to go off. They both need a full season of work if they want to do anything past college. 

2 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Kameron Stutts did appear late in the Alabama State game.  He is definitely redshirting.  He told me that himself.

Thanks for the information!

Gatewood definitely should and maybe even Cord

15 hours ago, Zeek said:

Gatewood definitely should and maybe even Cord

I'd say both are likely unless JS or MW get injured. In that scenario, I think Cord loses his.

7 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I'd say both are likely unless JS or MW get injured. In that scenario, I think Cord loses his.

Yep, Cord should loose his RS.  Why would you RS a 20 something that won’t be around for 5 years?  It would be nice to have some game experienced QBs going into Spring ball.

I'm all for repping Sandberg behind Stidham unless Willis turns it around big time. And it's totally possible that QB2 can redshirt. It's not like our offense is on auto pilot where Stidham can afford to take snaps off yet and we don't have many breather games that will involve big leads early on the schedule. 

I'm equally in favor of redshirting Gatewood. 

Who knows. Maybe we'll get to a point where the postseason becomes the deciding factor. As in, maybe we have a bunch of guys who have played in only 3 or 4 games by the time the IB is over, but we still have something to play for that would be worth burning their redshirts for. 

I'm thinking that with the unintended consequence of more transfers due to the RS rule, that redshirting may become less frequent than in the past. Barring injuries, "all hands on deck" may be needed to compete. Unless, of course, a player simply isn't ready or capable of playing at the college level. What the new rule does do is give coaches time to make their decision and adds some flexibility.

What say y'all?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I'm thinking that with the unintended consequence of more transfers due to the RS rule, that redshirting may become less frequent than in the past. Barring injuries, "all hands on deck" may be needed to compete. Unless, of course, a player simply isn't ready or capable of playing at the college level. What the new rule does do is give coaches time to make their decision and adds some flexibility.

What say y'all?

The more you redshirt freshmen the less kids who can use the rule later to transfer. Not saying it’s the morally correct thing to do but it might be a strategy some consider.

Archived