Former West Virginia player sues NCAA

augolf1716

I'm putting this in rivals so it gets more views. The suit was initiated in 2014. Not many people know about this lawsuit but its coming up to the same judge who made the judgement on the Ed O'Bannon case. This may only effect football and men and womens basketball but the judge can change anything. Basicially what it is the Power 5 conference could offer want ever they want to to cover a scholly for example the SEC could offer double the money for a scholly compared to the Big 12 if they wanted to. 

If this happens lord look out for the wild wild west. 

https://www.si.com/college-football/campus-union/2014/03/05/ncaa-lawsuit-shawne-alston-antitrust

The NCAA is already dealing with the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit and the Northwestern football players' movement to unionize. Now, another issue has been dropped on the pile.

Former West Virginia running back Shawne Alston, who played from 2009-12, has filed a proposed class-action lawsuit alleging that the NCAA "violated antitrust laws by agreeing to cap the value of athletic scholarshipsbelow the actual cost of attending school and 'far below' what the free market would produce," according to Jon Solomon of AL.com. The NCAA, SEC, ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and Big Ten are named as defendants.

Via Solomon:

Alston's suit seeks an injunction that enjoins the NCAA and the five major conferences from maintaining the present NCAA bylaw limiting financial aid to the currently-defined grant-in-aid value. The suit also seeks damages for the difference between the grants-in-aid awarded and the cost of attendance.

The suit alleges the NCAA first imposed a collusive cap on grants-in-aid in 1956 and then again by removing a cost of attendance stipend in 1973.

"Ever since, the NCAA has periodically been 'working' on the issue, with no significant changes to the capped grant-in-aid limitations," the suit states. "Despite the NCAA's public comments concerning the needs of college athletes, the collusive cap on grants-in-aid remains in place."

Alston is represented by the law firm Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro, which has been involved in various other cases pertaining to the NCAA. The former Mountaineers back, who previously filed a lawsuit alleging "blatant and unlawful" use of name and likeness against EA Sports, said he had to take out a loan to overcome the difference between the actual cost of attendance and what was provided him by his scholarship.

If this is successful, and the concussion lawsuits grow in value, the days of college football are numbered....or at least the days of scholarship football. 

And the next step or an extension of this lawsuit perhaps is that if  "market value" concept flies, then players on the same team may find the value of their scholarships established according to their contribution to the team's success. 

I do wonder where the thought that a football scholarship is supposed to cover all the costs of attending college came from.   There are a gillion different scholarships out there for students and they typically have a defined benefit...which I think is the case with a football scholarship.

But nothing ventured, nothing gained and in this legal climate all you need is one sympathetic judge and the game could be over. :dunno:

Don't see how this could not have an impact on the other sports where you have multiple players splitting a scholarship.

Already starting to price your fans out of the stadium. You have multiple schools like Texas aTm, Michigan and Clemson where students have started standing up to being charged on their tuition or ticket prices to help athletic programs. I know a percentage of you AU tuition goes to the athletic department ($750 if I remember right, there is a fee section that breaks it all down on a bill).

This article is from 2017, but it states that since 2010 pretty much only 23 schools work in the black.

Even with the schools’ additional spending on athletes’ cost of attendance and their additional meals and snacks, the total of 23 “self-sufficient” programs has remained basically unchanged since 2010.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2017/07/06/colleges-spending-more-their-athletes-because-they-can/449433001/

Auburn uses government and student money to subsidize athletics, eventually the increasing costs there are going to result in people turning away from the programs. Then these athletes will get nothing as their programs get cut.

2 hours ago, rexbo said:

$750 of tuition goes to Athletics?!?  When I attended total in-state tuition per quarter was about $900...

Tuition for 2018-2019 is $5638 in state.

I remember looking at mine and seeing that $750 number, now other things might of been included but it did state that portion of the bill was for athletics. It was not tickets either. Yes, gone are the $25 dollar tickets for a full home season for students also.

http://www.auburn.edu/admissions/tuition/costofattendance.html

On 9/27/2018 at 4:11 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

Don't see how this could not have an impact on the other sports where you have multiple players splitting a scholarship.

So are we gonna go into negative values for scholarships in non-revenue producing sports?:-\

33 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

So are we gonna go into negative values for scholarships in non-revenue producing sports?:-\

Remember these words...Title IX  

Nothing significant happens in college sports that is not impacted by Title IX. 

41 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I am confused. What does this really do for the Student Athlete?  Full scholarship athletes get Tutuon, books, fees, room/board and/ or $850 a month. 

They want more of course.   Some folks have convinced them they deserved a bigger share of the pie I guess.

53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

They want more of course.   Some folks have convinced them they deserved a bigger share of the pie I guess.

A football player shouldn't have to take out a loan while the Athletics program rakes in millions

24 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

A football player shouldn't have to take out a loan while the Athletics program rakes in millions

Athletic programs are not raking in millions...most are being subsidized by the rest of the college students attending a school.....     .https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/07/ncaa-finances-subsidies/2142443/

This kinda old but nothing has changed.......sports are not self-supporting except at a very few schools.    

So football players should get free money from their fellow students who are probably taking out loans to pay their own college expenses ? 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Athletic programs are not raking in millions...most are being subsidized by the rest of the college students attending a school.....     .https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/07/ncaa-finances-subsidies/2142443/

This kinda old but nothing has changed.......sports are not self-supporting except at a very few schools.    

So football players should get free money from their fellow students who are probably taking out loans to pay their own college expenses ? 

I'll repeat it. A football player and this individual should not have to take a loan while ON scholarship.

I'm not saying they should get a pay check or get paid millions. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Former West Virginia player sues NCAA
5 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

I'll repeat it. A football player and this individual should not have to take a loan while ON scholarship.

I'm not saying they should get a pay check or get paid millions. 

That’s is what confuses me, what is it a “football” player has to take out a loan for and how is it a “football” has to take out a loan but we do not hear other sports screaming for more money. So my question again is, what is it that “football” players have to take loans out for?

8 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

I agree. They have no time for an outside job to earn the extra money they need to just live.  They should be paid a portion of the money they help earn for their schools. 

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I agree. They have no time for an outside job to earn the extra money they need to just live.  They should be paid a portion of the money they help earn for their schools. 

And neither does girls soccer, or softball, or baseball, etc etc and they don't even get full scholarships.

If Auburn athletics is bringing in so much money then why are students footing over $4 million dollars of the bill

Auburn 2016-17 fiscal year

Revenues

Ticket sales: $32.9 million
Student fees: $4.4 million
Direct institutional support: $1.7 million
Away games: $58,000
Contributions: $35.3 million
In-kind contributions: $124,201
Media rights: $40.9 million
NCAA: $3.6 million
SEC distribution (non-media and non-bowl): $9 million
Concessions: $1.9 million
Royalties/licensing/advertisements: $8.8 million
Endowment and Investments: $1.4 million
Other: $7.1 million
Transfer to institution: -$2.5 million
Bowl revenue: $2.8 million

Total operating revenue: $147,511,034

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-athletics-reports-record-revenue-for-2017-fiscal-year-114231660/

Take the Wellness Kitchen, they developed that for the athletes and not the general population. They forced students to pay for meal plans regardless of whether they were on/off campus living ($350 required off campus). Then took the money the students didn't use to build that. Last I remember dinner for a regular student was $20bucks a pop there.

Would have loved to have all the perks that they get when I was a Division 1 athlete.

11 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

And neither does girls soccer, or softball, or baseball, etc etc and they don't even get full scholarships.

If Auburn athletics is bringing in so much money then why are students footing over $4 million dollars of the bill

Auburn 2016-17 fiscal year

Revenues

Ticket sales: $32.9 million
Student fees: $4.4 million
Direct institutional support: $1.7 million
Away games: $58,000
Contributions: $35.3 million
In-kind contributions: $124,201
Media rights: $40.9 million
NCAA: $3.6 million
SEC distribution (non-media and non-bowl): $9 million
Concessions: $1.9 million
Royalties/licensing/advertisements: $8.8 million
Endowment and Investments: $1.4 million
Other: $7.1 million
Transfer to institution: -$2.5 million
Bowl revenue: $2.8 million

Total operating revenue: $147,511,034

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-athletics-reports-record-revenue-for-2017-fiscal-year-114231660/

Take the Wellness Kitchen, they developed that for the athletes and not the general population. They forced students to pay for meal plans regardless of whether they were on/off campus living ($350 required off campus). Then took the money the students didn't use to build that. Last I remember dinner for a regular student was $20bucks a pop there.

Would have loved to have all the perks that they get when I was a Division 1 athlete.

Please quote me where I said ONLY football players and no other athletes deserve extra money to help with living expenses.........

The subject of this thread is a lawsuit filed by a  FOOTBALL PLAYER so that's the subject I was addressing.  

6 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Please quote me where I said ONLY football players and no other athletes deserve extra money to help with living expenses.........

The subject of this thread is a lawsuit filed by a  FOOTBALL PLAYER so that's the subject I was addressing.  

Understandable...but unless there is some big change in NCAA policy football players are gonna be held to the same scholarship standards as other athletes at a school.....and why not?     And how about basketball players at schools where their efforts finance a good part of the school's athletic program?    This is more than just a slippery slope, it's Teflon coated. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Understandable...but unless there is some big change in NCAA policy football players are gonna be held to the same scholarship standards as other athletes at a school.....and why not?     And how about basketball players at schools where their efforts finance a good part of the school's athletic program?    This is more than just a slippery slope, it's Teflon coated. 

Apparently football and basketball players have been getting stipends since August of 2015.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/money/2015/09/04/news/companies/extra-cash-college-athletes/index.html

A few quotes -

“For the first time, the NCAA this year (2015) is allowing schools to give cash stipends to cover the cost of things like late-night snacks, student fees, laundry money and movies.”

“Scholarships cover the core expenses of college such as tuition and room and board. The new stipends are supposed to close the gap between scholarship money and what it actually costs to attend school.”

“The stipends are going to football and basketball players. But they are also available to athletes in the "non revenue" sports such as soccer, lacrosse, baseball and volleyball.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/uga-stipend-ranks-ninth-sec/pNgiItpmBTTz6E35EogR6L/amp.html

SEC Stipends - Auburn is 2nd with $5,586 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I don't disagree. But that was not the point of my post....

On 9/30/2018 at 12:30 PM, Tigerbelle said:

I was following the line of quotes which only mentioned football players.

The OP discussed other sports and the complaint is about athletic scholarships not covering costs, so to me that includes every sport as it did not identify it as football related only in the article.

On 9/29/2018 at 7:18 PM, AlaskanFAN said:

That’s is what confuses me, what is it a “football” player has to take out a loan for and how is it a “football” has to take out a loan but we do not hear other sports screaming for more money. So my question again is, what is it that “football” players have to take loans out for?

Did we ever get an answer on this?  Couldn't be for fishing trips, Dodge Chargers, or tailored suits, so what's left?

Archived