bigbird

Yes, my nephew is one tough little fella. He had to be put to sleep everyday while he took his radiation. His port came out as well and had to have surgery to put it back in. The Dr’s at St Jude said 2 years ago they would not have been able to help him. Thank God for the ongoing research. They are making strides every day.

I have two daughters too, 72. This my prayer as well. To see them grow up and be happy.

I feel certain you will get to “Ring that Bell”. 

• Love 2

Late to the party but glad to hear the good news @AUsince72!  Thinkin' about ya.

Edited by abw0004
  • Love 1

On 1/7/2019 at 6:26 PM, AUsince72 said:

If there's a silver lining to being stage 4 it's that there will be no surgery.  The surgery was planned to prevent it's spread.... Too late.  Under the circumstances that's good for me.  I will (probably) have to deal with maintenance chemo the rest of my life and there will always be the spectre of it coming back but we are beating it back today and will certainly work to prevent it in the future.

Thank you for your support.  It's meant SO much!!

War Eagle!

Praise God 72!!  Stage 4 cancer of any kind is a bitch, but it looks like you are kicking its butt!!  I have been battling stage 4 throat/tonsil cancer since 2017.  I have been blessed with clear scans.  However; "recovery" has been much more difficult for me to deal with both physically and mentally than treatment was.  Keep fighting and love on your family every moment that you can.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, aumrb86 said:

Praise God 72!!  Stage 4 cancer of any kind is a bitch, but it looks like you are kicking its butt!!  I have been battling stage 4 throat/tonsil cancer since 2017.  I have been blessed with clear scans.  However; "recovery" has been much more difficult for me to deal with both physically and mentally than treatment was.  Keep fighting and love on your family every moment that you can.

Yes absolutely, praise the Lord!!

I'm so glad to hear your scans are clear 😁😁😁, God bless you!

You are right too.... The treatment/recovery is almost worse than the disease.  I'm getting more and more side effects every treatment and even starting to need to walk with a cane due to fatigue and neuropathy.  It's a bitch for sure!

But it's a good fight and when I think of my wife and two young girls (who just turned 10 today!!!!), it's a fight that's well worth it.

God bless & War Eagle!!!

• Like 4

On 1/19/2019 at 6:28 PM, AUsince72 said:

Yes absolutely, praise the Lord!!

I'm so glad to hear your scans are clear 😁😁😁, God bless you!

You are right too.... The treatment/recovery is almost worse than the disease.  I'm getting more and more side effects every treatment and even starting to need to walk with a cane due to fatigue and neuropathy.  It's a bitch for sure!

But it's a good fight and when I think of my wife and two young girls (who just turned 10 today!!!!), it's a fight that's well worth it.

God bless & War Eagle!!!

The recovery is brutal.  God Bless you...the neuropathy and other side effects pass over time...things you don't know going into all those treatments....happy birthday to your girls !!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't seen you on in a little bit, just wanted you to know we are still praying for you, and expecting a miracle for you & your family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the recent posts and PM's.  I'm still alive and kicking!

We have had some great scans but also some other developments that kind of spin our heads a bit so obviously I have not been posting as much.

With the good news of my liver & lymph nodes being clear I've also been told that the hard chemo, that's been working do well on the cancer, he has been damaging my bone marrow and my blood platelets have taken a bit of a nosedive.

Therefore, I'm off of the hard chemo for now, while taking the much milder maintenance chemo, but surgery is back on the table.  I've got an appointment with a surgeon at Moffitt (who I'm NOT a fan of....the center, not the surgeon) but it's scary to think of how that meeting might go.  In researching him, he might be able to remove the rest of the tumor in not such a radical way, as they originally said they would (forcing me to need a colostomy bag) but then...we won't know until we see him.  If the surgery is still a "no" then we just have to wait for my platelets to (hopefully) rebuild and then get back on the hard core again.  If not then..... Well, God is in control!!

Also, I'm having bad neuropathy that's beginning to get painful in my fingers and makes my feet numb so I use a cane often and my wife's afraid for me to drive.  I have a Neurologist visit upcoming as well....yay 🙄

The biggest change, is now I'm transitioning to Long Term Disability which I won't really go into here but we will be seeking a financial advisor moving forward along with figuring out how to pay for Cobra, etc.

So, big changes as you can see....

But, as always, we are faithful as The Lord has paved a path for us through this entire process and we know He will continue to do so.  We are SO blessed 🙏 so I will not complain 😁!!

On a side note, if anyone has any good national financial advisor advice please feel free to PM me.  Thank you!

Again, to you all, my AUFamily, thanks for the prayers and well wishes and support.  I love you all!

War Eagle and God bless!!

Nathan

• Like 7

Thanks for the update 72.....was thinking about you earlier today while chatting with my wife about this forum.   I was concerned that I had not seen any activity (or did not remember it) from you lately and was hoping that was not a bad sign. I know your family appreciates how hard you are fighting this battle...for them as well as for yourself.   Prayers for peace and comfort.

Edited by AU64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the updates. Please continue to do so whenever possible so we will know what to pray for you and your family!! You are a walking, typing testimony! I look forward to the day you tepe "all is well"!

• Love 1

A thought, for those fortunate enough to be in a position to do so.

Many of us have seen friends and family celebrate their birthdays on social media by asking their connections to support a cause in their behalf. Consider 72's GoFundMe for your birthday this year. And somebody remind me of this post in late May, please!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2