bigbird

Yes, my nephew is one tough little fella. He had to be put to sleep everyday while he took his radiation. His port came out as well and had to have surgery to put it back in. The Dr’s at St Jude said 2 years ago they would not have been able to help him. Thank God for the ongoing research. They are making strides every day.

I have two daughters too, 72. This my prayer as well. To see them grow up and be happy.

I feel certain you will get to “Ring that Bell”. 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/7/2019 at 6:26 PM, AUsince72 said:

If there's a silver lining to being stage 4 it's that there will be no surgery.  The surgery was planned to prevent it's spread.... Too late.  Under the circumstances that's good for me.  I will (probably) have to deal with maintenance chemo the rest of my life and there will always be the spectre of it coming back but we are beating it back today and will certainly work to prevent it in the future.

Thank you for your support.  It's meant SO much!!

War Eagle!

Praise God 72!!  Stage 4 cancer of any kind is a bitch, but it looks like you are kicking its butt!!  I have been battling stage 4 throat/tonsil cancer since 2017.  I have been blessed with clear scans.  However; "recovery" has been much more difficult for me to deal with both physically and mentally than treatment was.  Keep fighting and love on your family every moment that you can.

3 hours ago, aumrb86 said:

Praise God 72!!  Stage 4 cancer of any kind is a bitch, but it looks like you are kicking its butt!!  I have been battling stage 4 throat/tonsil cancer since 2017.  I have been blessed with clear scans.  However; "recovery" has been much more difficult for me to deal with both physically and mentally than treatment was.  Keep fighting and love on your family every moment that you can.

Yes absolutely, praise the Lord!!

I'm so glad to hear your scans are clear 😁😁😁, God bless you!

You are right too.... The treatment/recovery is almost worse than the disease.  I'm getting more and more side effects every treatment and even starting to need to walk with a cane due to fatigue and neuropathy.  It's a bitch for sure!

But it's a good fight and when I think of my wife and two young girls (who just turned 10 today!!!!), it's a fight that's well worth it.

God bless & War Eagle!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 6:28 PM, AUsince72 said:

Yes absolutely, praise the Lord!!

I'm so glad to hear your scans are clear 😁😁😁, God bless you!

You are right too.... The treatment/recovery is almost worse than the disease.  I'm getting more and more side effects every treatment and even starting to need to walk with a cane due to fatigue and neuropathy.  It's a bitch for sure!

But it's a good fight and when I think of my wife and two young girls (who just turned 10 today!!!!), it's a fight that's well worth it.

God bless & War Eagle!!!

The recovery is brutal.  God Bless you...the neuropathy and other side effects pass over time...things you don't know going into all those treatments....happy birthday to your girls !!!!

Haven't seen you on in a little bit, just wanted you to know we are still praying for you, and expecting a miracle for you & your family.

Thank you all for the recent posts and PM's.  I'm still alive and kicking!

We have had some great scans but also some other developments that kind of spin our heads a bit so obviously I have not been posting as much.

With the good news of my liver & lymph nodes being clear I've also been told that the hard chemo, that's been working do well on the cancer, he has been damaging my bone marrow and my blood platelets have taken a bit of a nosedive.

Therefore, I'm off of the hard chemo for now, while taking the much milder maintenance chemo, but surgery is back on the table.  I've got an appointment with a surgeon at Moffitt (who I'm NOT a fan of....the center, not the surgeon) but it's scary to think of how that meeting might go.  In researching him, he might be able to remove the rest of the tumor in not such a radical way, as they originally said they would (forcing me to need a colostomy bag) but then...we won't know until we see him.  If the surgery is still a "no" then we just have to wait for my platelets to (hopefully) rebuild and then get back on the hard core again.  If not then..... Well, God is in control!!

Also, I'm having bad neuropathy that's beginning to get painful in my fingers and makes my feet numb so I use a cane often and my wife's afraid for me to drive.  I have a Neurologist visit upcoming as well....yay 🙄

The biggest change, is now I'm transitioning to Long Term Disability which I won't really go into here but we will be seeking a financial advisor moving forward along with figuring out how to pay for Cobra, etc.

So, big changes as you can see....

But, as always, we are faithful as The Lord has paved a path for us through this entire process and we know He will continue to do so.  We are SO blessed 🙏 so I will not complain 😁!!

On a side note, if anyone has any good national financial advisor advice please feel free to PM me.  Thank you!

Again, to you all, my AUFamily, thanks for the prayers and well wishes and support.  I love you all!

War Eagle and God bless!!

Nathan

Thanks for the update 72.....was thinking about you earlier today while chatting with my wife about this forum.   I was concerned that I had not seen any activity (or did not remember it) from you lately and was hoping that was not a bad sign. I know your family appreciates how hard you are fighting this battle...for them as well as for yourself.   Prayers for peace and comfort.

Thanks for the updates. Please continue to do so whenever possible so we will know what to pray for you and your family!! You are a walking, typing testimony! I look forward to the day you tepe "all is well"!

A thought, for those fortunate enough to be in a position to do so.

Many of us have seen friends and family celebrate their birthdays on social media by asking their connections to support a cause in their behalf. Consider 72's GoFundMe for your birthday this year. And somebody remind me of this post in late May, please!

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

How’s it going @AUsince72? Prayers for you continue.   

Hi 3rd Gen.  Thank you for asking.  Sorry I'm not posting much but I lurk a bit when I can.

Life is a whirlwind at the moment.  As my blood platelets are still too low for the hard core chemo, the maintenance chemo is ongoing.  Sorta a "holding pattern" at the moment....

Also, due to me still having major side effects and the uncertainty, we are now working hard to secure our finances as I can no longer work for my company (part of the process of Long Term Disability) so we're having to see financial advisors, SSDI, Cobra Insurance, etc.  Maybe TMI sorry, but our world is a bit upside down right now.  

On top of that, my wife is just getting over the flu and I am in the midst of......the Shingles!  This is so fun 😂🤣.  They wouldn't even take my blood nor let me in the chemo room last week...but I should be fine by Monday.

Anyway, as you can see, we have a lot on our plate and I still have to see a neurologist as my neuropathy is so bad I'm walking with a cane and my wife won't let me drive.  My fingers hurt and I can hardly feel my toes at all...  Plus I'm still supposed to see a surgeon at Moffitt to see if that's back on the table.  But again, Moffitt claims they don't have my info even though our Dr's office has proven they sent it 3 times.  I don't care that Moffitt is so highly thought of, in our experience they stink.

But enough sounding negative.  Just struggling with the Shingles pain and neuropathy and I'm a bit grumpy.  BUT, The Lord is in control and no matter what obstacles have been put in our path, He has guided us through each.  It's been amazing!!!  I just have to keep Him always in my mind 🙏🙏🙏.

Thanks again for your concern and prayers.  I appreciate more than you'll ever know!

God bless!!

Nathan

Hang in there, buddy! I cannot imagine what you are going through, but I care.  May God cover you in His healing powers. Specifically, May He give you relief from pain and discomfort and strength to fight the battle. 

On 2/22/2019 at 10:14 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

Hang in there, buddy! I cannot imagine what you are going through, but I care.  May God cover you in His healing powers. Specifically, May He give you relief from pain and discomfort and strength to fight the battle. 

Amen! We all care about you 72! Thanks for the updates so we all know what to pray for!!

72; My wife lost her battle with cancer Saturday, but we continue to lift you up in our prayers and look forward to days when your cancer is cured. I know you are in Florida but I would highly recommend U.A.B in Birmingham (between them & God they kept my wife alive 20 years with cancer). If you need any doctors names or numbers let me know. Keep the faith and continue to fight and you will survive. Will also pray for your wife & children because I am sure they are worried about there husband/father.

You always stay in my thoughts 72! With my recent checkup, due to my treatment they say I have developed an early case of polycythemia. My dad has it, his is a secondary type. Almost anybody with sleep apnea has the secondary type to some degree and it’s really no big deal. Did a Jak 2 test to make sure I don’t have the Vera version which is more serious as it is a type of blood cancer, and would mean I would have to get blood pulled off once a month, and take a pill, some are chemo pills, depends on how your body reacts for the rest of my life. Don’t have the results yet, but fingers crossed. Still fighting with you everyday brother ❤️

@maverick, my brother passed away last year from complications of PCV.  He could have lived much longer, but wasn’t willing to give up his cigarettes and alcohol.  He was a sweetheart, but very stubborn.  I pray you don’t have it, but if you do, live cleanly and you will live longer.  Prayers for you, too!

1 hour ago, AUMASTERS said:

72; My wife lost her battle with cancer Saturday, but we continue to lift you up in our prayers and look forward to days when your cancer is cured. I know you are in Florida but I would highly recommend U.A.B in Birmingham (between them & God they kept my wife alive 20 years with cancer). If you need any doctors names or numbers let me know. Keep the faith and continue to fight and you will survive. Will also pray for your wife & children because I am sure they are worried about there husband/father.

I'm so sorry for you and your family.  We know she is no longer suffering and in the arms of Jesus now but the ones left behind are hit so hard.  You are truly in my prayers and I pray God lifts you up and eases your pain.  God bless!!! 

Thanks for your continued prayers and support.  No matter how many obstacles keep jumping in our way, The Lord continues to open the doors for us to move forward.

Thank you for the suggestion, I have heard UAB has a good cancer group.  So far mine's been great, here in Sarasota, but this summer (God willing) we're moving to Knoxville, TN and understand they have some very good cancer groups there.  I'm hoping they can work with my current Dr and together, keep me going another 20 years as well.  All I ask is to be able to watch my girls grow up and I will be blessed.

God bless you!!

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

You always stay in my thoughts 72! With my recent checkup, due to my treatment they say I have developed an early case of polycythemia. My dad has it, his is a secondary type. Almost anybody with sleep apnea has the secondary type to some degree and it’s really no big deal. Did a Jak 2 test to make sure I don’t have the Vera version which is more serious as it is a type of blood cancer, and would mean I would have to get blood pulled off once a month, and take a pill, some are chemo pills, depends on how your body reacts for the rest of my life. Don’t have the results yet, but fingers crossed. Still fighting with you everyday brother ❤️

Brother Mav, I pray you get good results!  Thank you for always being there for support s you are also always in my thoughts and prayers too.  Good luck and God bless!!!

29 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

@maverick, my brother passed away last year from complications of PCV.  He could have lived much longer, but wasn’t willing to give up his cigarettes and alcohol.  He was a sweetheart, but very stubborn.  I pray you don’t have it, but if you do, live cleanly and you will live longer.  Prayers for you, too!

My oncologist seems to be optimistic, it doesn’t seem to be hereditary, it seems to be solely based a result of my treatment, but my levels are easily 7 points higher than my father who has secondary

28 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Brother Mav, I pray you get good results!  Thank you for always being there for support s you are also always in my thoughts and prayers too.  Good luck and God bless!!!

I would post in this thread more often, I lose track with it being pinned sometimes

My thoughts are still with you. My brother defeated cancer last year after a battle. IT CAN BE DONE! There is always hope.

Archived