Southern Miss Postgame Thread

tbone1430

1 hour ago, CR said:

He's hand picked every offensive coach. Gus is the problem not the fix.

I have actually been pondering this recently.  Was Gus only successful as an OC because someone else was hiring the rest of his offensive staff?  That and inheriting QBs.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Yep to bad we already have coaches that give up 12 point 4th qtr leads... amirite

Should have loaned Penn a State our defense 

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

The worst part is that at 7-5, we're not *technically* not justified in wanting to fire him. Part of me almost wanted us to lose tonight, because maybe, just maybe, the door for urgent action would be opened.

Gus will be at AU a minimum of 5 years unless there is some scandal that comes up in the organization.  People looking for change has a long long wait

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Gus will be at AU a minimum of 5 years unless there is some scandal that comes up in the organization.  People looking for change has a long long wait

Leath effectively placed us on probation. In the meantime, there will be no urgency on anyone in the program to make any sort of change.

This. If we had someone like Urban we could probably find skeletons if we wanted him gone. Unfortunately Gus is probably the most squeaky clean vanilla coach in all of college football.

If I had to pick one coach who isn’t going to have a #MeToo moment it would be Gus

Seriously dude.  I was already in a bad enough mood. Why you gotta go and make it even worse?  ;)

AG62hUh.gif

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Leath effectively placed us on probation. In the meantime, there will be no urgency on anyone in the program to make any sort of change.

We’re 4-1 with the only loss to the #5 team regardless of where we finish.  That is hardly any result that would even be in discussion for making coaching changes.  One thing Gus has not shied away from is cutting loose problems that need to be fixed.  If something needs to be changed at the end of the season then he will make a change. I still see 9-3 as our record at the end...

Just now, corchjay said:

We’re 4-1 with the only loss to the #5 team regardless of where we finish.  That is hardly any result that would even be in discussion for making coaching changes.  One thing Gus has not shied away from is cutting loose problems that need to be fixed.  If something needs to be changed at the end of the season then he will make a change. I still see 9-3 as our record at the end...

May I have some of what you're smoking?

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We’re 4-1 with the only loss to the #5 team regardless of where we finish

Part of that is due to having played 3 pretty bad teams, and we struggled against 2 of those offensively.  I think 8-4 is about the best case I can make, and that is a stretch. 

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Looks a lot like AU/LSU to me

Actually that is what is the most puzzling aspect of this, WHERE is that team that played that game and Washington. Even tho we lost, no one was upset about the way we played.

Sure the chill of my breath from an ice cold Dr Pepper.  I’d share one with you.  Who’s gonna beat us?  

Hard to say Moo States DL will tear us apart. Georgia and Bama should absolutely murder us. Texas A& M depends on which team shows up to play as both have been randomly good and bad.

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Kudos to anyone who stayed to watch that entire Auburn game. You are true fans. We did not go this week because we had to go to a wedding thing. Didn't think we would have any trouble with this one. Any big bodied people left on our team that could be trained in one week to play offensive line???? Do we have anyone left???

We were there the entire painful time.We were there the entire painful time.

FWIW Jay Jacobs is no longer Gus's boss.  Greene seems to  be the anti Jacobs.   He has told Gus that if he wants a football only facility he needs to win.  Right now Gus is 4-1 for the season, but the difficulty is going to  ramp up.  I do not see this team doing  better than 7-5. Unlike Jacobs I am expecting Greene tohave a VERY thorough end of season review with Gus(probably the first  Gus has ever had).  Will be interesting to see.

Just now, Zeek said:

Hard to say Moo States DL will tear us apart. Georgia and Bama should absolutely murder us. Texas A& M depends on which team shows up to play as both have been randomly good and bad.

I agree. I think it is more likely UGA, Bama and A&M make up 3 more losses, with the potential of dropping another close one along the way to one of 3 other pretty lackluster teams in UT, MSU and OM. 

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Part of that is due to having played 3 pretty bad teams, and we struggled against 2 of those offensively.  I think 8-4 is about the best case I can make, and that is a stretch. 

I actually see 8-4 at worst. Our D will give us a shot in every game except bama. But my thing is we are in year 6 and we have this mess of an offense and of course the Gus crowd will yell about how great 8-4 or 9-3 is...smh.

I’m just not mentally ready  for the 50 point butt whooping we’re going to catch AT Alabama and AT Georgia. I really can’t take another bowl game choke job either.

Things look bleak. 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

I actually see 8-4 at worst. Our D will give us a shot in every game except bama. But my thing is we are in year 6 and we have this mess of an offense and of course the Gus crowd will yell about how great 8-4 or 9-3 is...smh.

See there’s that negativity again, buddy. We should just be thankful AU provides us with a football team to root for. 

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I’ll give you Bama for sure how they are playing.  I’ll say UGA probably a 6 pt favorite at this point.  We will be favored against Ms st and aTm.  Anything can happen in some games a dropped pass a muffed punt a fumble at either goal line.  

5 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

No one is saying how great anything is. Just being real.  Everyone looked at the schedule.  Looked at the youth.  Hoped Stidham would be a stud and still predicated 10-2 or 9-3.  Is the offense poor?  Yep.  It’ll improve.  How quickly I have no idea and now both tackles are banged up after both guards have been banged up and a 2 game starter at center.  Regardless of year 6, 12, or 1... tough schedule and inexperience isn’t a good match.  

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

And to pre-empt Mikey, AU64, CORCHj, fiftey, belle, Doc, etc...yeah we are a 1 loss team in the AP top Ten (until the new rankings come out...lol).  Just to save you some typing time.

We’re 4-1 with the only loss to the #5 team regardless of where we finish.  That is hardly any result that would even be in discussion for making coaching changes.

Told you.

Archived