Southern Miss Postgame Thread

tbone1430

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I haven’t brought up the playoffs one time. You did by saying we almost got there and I am going to say almost doesn’t count lol. You can try to justify that in any manner you want, but almost only helps you in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Well I think that is silly and so do you. Titles are the sport's ultimate barometer.

We have more titles and have been closer to national titles since Gus' arrival than Florida, Oklahoma, Penn State, Michigan, LSU, Miami, Texas, Okie State, USC, Nebraska, VT, and most of the nation's bluebloods.

The only reason we feel otherwise is that our archrival is in the middle of the greatest run in college football history, and our secondary rival MIGHT build a dynasty due to a total lack of competition.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DAG said:

I am not living for the past. I am living for now. Again, therein lies the difference between me and you. Whatever Auburn history was, doesn’t mean I have to accept it because it is what Auburn has done. Such a crap way of thinking. 

I’ve enjoyed the back and forth.  But time for me to check out for the evening.  I’m exhausted from trying to block defensive lineman from my couch today lol.  

Much respect @DAG one of my favorite posters on here probably because we are polar opposites as you say.  

History is history here’s to the future we agree on that

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Well I think that is silly and so do you. Titles are the sport's ultimate barometer.

We have more titles and have been closer to national titles since Gus' arrival than Florida, Oklahoma, Penn State, Michigan, LSU, Miami, Texas, Okie State, USC, Nebraska, VT, and most of the nation's bluebloods.

The only reason we feel otherwise is that our archrival is in the middle of the greatest run in college football history, and our secondary rival MIGHT build a dynasty due to a total lack of competition.

Nope I don’t give a crap about Bama. I don’t know why you guys always bring them up. Again, we going to have to agree to disagree. You keep talking about almost. I don’t think in almost. Let me know when you find where they keep the almost tally in the sports world.

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

WHAT IS AUBURN FOOTBALL HISTORY  FOR $500 Alex

This right here is what frustrates me.  Auburn in its history has been a slightly above average program with short periods of brilliance sprinkled around short periods of mediocrity.  At some point, either we accept that as our fate and be happy with 8-4’s most of the time with the occasional brilliant season like 93, 04, 10, 13 etc...or, Auburn decides it wants to pursue better for its football program.  

For most of its dreadful life Auburn basketball has been below average.  We took a shot with BP and it was and still maybe a big risk for us to hire him...but look at the potential payoff now.  I believe we legitimately have a team capable of a Final Four run if things go well on the injury front...If we had accepted that Auburn basketball is what it is and didn’t step out and take a gamble on BP we would be in the same position as always more than likely...

I’m not suggesting we go out and hire some controversial coach for football like Art Briles or anything. What I’m saying is at some point we have to decide if we want more than what we’ve always been and then decide how to get there. People say well who would you hire? I honestly don’t know. But just because you don’t know doesn’t mean you don’t try. It took bama a while to get to Saban but they kept trying and didn’t settle for mediocre Mike Shula.  Clemson had no idea what Dabo was gonna do when they hired him and look what he’s done. Clemson is traditionally a good comparison to AU. You’re telling me that what Dabo has done at Clemson couldn’t be duplicated by the right guy at Auburn? I for one am not asking for a bama type run. It’s not realistic. But there is no excuse for our program to have gone this damn long without back to back 10 win seasons and it looks like we will fall short of that once again. I’m not even advocating for firing Gus but it has to be recognized and accepted that he has some serious problems on the side of the ball he is supposed to be the expert at.  I hope he proves me wrong but whether its two years or four years from now Gus will be gone and we will not have made a playoff and most likely will have had more four loss or more seasons with head scratching losses and weird offensive gameplans and decisions.  6 years is long enough to see a pattern and its easy to see Gus’s. He’s good for a couple of bone headed losses every year that offset the good wins...

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I’ve enjoyed the back and forth.  But time for me to check out for the evening.  I’m exhausted from trying to block defensive lineman from my couch today lol.  

Much respect @DAG one of my favorite posters on here probably because we are polar opposites as you say.  

History is history here’s to the future we agree on that

Likewise. Very fun debate.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Nope I don’t give a crap about Bama. I don’t know why you guys always bring them up. Again, we going to have to agree to disagree. You keep talking about almost. I don’t think in almost. Let me know when you find where they keep the almost tally in the sports world.

EA15B2D7-D5FD-463D-A448-B09F9ECAD5B6.jpeg

Just now, OnthePlains said:

This right here is what frustrates me.  Auburn in its history has been a slightly above average program with short periods of brilliance sprinkled around short periods of mediocrity.  At some point, either we accept that as our fate and be happy with 8-4’s most of the time with the occasional brilliant season like 93, 04, 10, 13 etc...or, Auburn decides it wants to pursue better for its football program.  

For most of its dreadful life Auburn basketball has been below average.  We took a shot with BP and it was and still maybe a big risk for us to hire him...but look at the potential payoff now.  I believe we legitimately have a team capable of a Final Four run if things go well on the injury front...If we had accepted that Auburn basketball is what it is and didn’t step out and take a gamble on BP we would be in the same position as always more than likely...

I’m not suggesting we go out and hire some controversial coach for football like Art Briles or anything. What I’m saying is at some point we have to decide if we want more than what we’ve always been and then decide how to get there. People say well who would you hire? I honestly don’t know. But just because you don’t know doesn’t mean you don’t try. It took bama a while to get to Saban but they kept trying and didn’t settle for mediocre Mike Shula.  Clemson had no idea what Dabo was gonna do when they hired him and look what he’s done. Clemson is traditionally a good comparison to AU. You’re telling me that what Dabo has done at Clemson couldn’t be duplicated by the right guy at Auburn? I for one am not asking for a bama type run. It’s not realistic. But there is no excuse for our program to have gone this damn long without back to back 10 win seasons and it looks like we will fall short of that once again. I’m not even advocating for firing Gus but it has to be recognized and accepted that he has some serious problems on the side of the ball he is supposed to be the expert at.  I hope he proves me wrong but whether its two years or four years from now Gus will be gone and we will not have made a playoff and most likely will have had more four loss or more seasons with head scratching losses and weird offensive gameplans and decisions.  6 years is long enough to see a pattern and its easy to see Gus’s. He’s good for a couple of bone headed losses every year that offset the good wins...

You know if we accept 8-4..alright but we don’t need to be paying someone 49 mil for it. It’s unfortunate Gus has to face an uphill battle against the likes of the SEC west but he gets paid big money now to figure it out. I mean if we can only depend on him to win games he should win then why do we need to make him one of the highest paid coaches?

Last year, I wasn’t tripping over the loss in the SEC championship game. It sucked but UGA was a damn good team and beating them twice would be freaking hard . What bother me was losing to a team like UCF afterwards. Stuff like that aggravates me. I am not expecting Gus to make the playoffs every year although I do expect him, at the very least,  be able to deliver a conference title once every 4 years or so ( Thinking during that span he would have the team he needs to get over the hump).

However, I do want us to be consistent against our foes. You can have a let down game here and there. Every team and coach has that, but to have multiple head scratchers year after year gets really old. Particularly when it is on the side of the ball, you pride yourself in.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

They are brought up because context is everything. Auburn has achieved an incredible amount at the height of  Alabama's unparalled college football dynasty, a team with which they battle for pivotal recruits and division titles. And we have done it all with a rookie head coach.

To discount what Gus has achieved and what he has almost achieved, without looking at the context of competition and his youth, is mind boggling. 

22 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

WikiHow: Head Football Coach.

1. The head football coach is tasked with the overall performance of a team, including the game's three phases: offense, defense, and special teams!

2. Each phase is important, and the head football coach must recruit players to help every phase perform well. 

3. The head football coach also must hire competent employees who specialize in these phases. If one of the phases fails, it is the head coach's responsibility to hire and fire employees to improve the phase!

Gus Malzahn is the head football coach at Auburn University, and ergo, the totality of the team's performance is attributed to him! The more you know! ?‍??‍??‍??‍?

I’m going to say this real slow.

1. The offense is terrible, and Gus is either incapable or unwilling to fix it. 

2. The defense is good. Good for him. It’s good because he doesn’t touch it. The defense cannot continue to score more points than our opponents do on offense. I still want to know what you personally believe he deserves credit for on the defensive side of the ball. My guess is you have no idea, other than what I said, which is why you turned to the internet for help. 

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

They are brought up because context is everything. Auburn has achieved an incredible amount at the height of  Alabama's unparalled college football dynasty, a team with which they battle for pivotal recruits and division titles. And we have done it all with a rookie head coach.

To discount what Gus has achieved and what he has almost achieved, without looking at the context of competition and his youth, is mind boggling. 

Never discounted a single thing. I am not going to give him credit for almost beating someone though even if you do . I give him all the credit in the world for his victories such as against UGA and Bama. I also will critique him when he faces defeat like he did against LSU and  UCF. If that doesn’t sit right with you then you can disagree to agree like I have already chosen to do. That goes for any team I support. I am a huge fan of the spurs and panthers. In 2013, the spurs almost beat Miami. Okay? They didn’t. My panthers almost won a Super Bowl? Okay. Why don’t you go ask Cam how did he feel after the game about almost winning.

8 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I’m going to say this real slow.

1. The offense is terrible, and Gus is either incapable or unwilling to fix it. 

2. The defense is good. Good for him. It’s good because he doesn’t touch it. The defense cannot continue to score more points than our opponents do on offense. I still want to know what you personally believe he deserves credit for on the defensive side of the ball. My guess is you have no idea, other than what I said, which is why you turned to the internet for help. 

Yep...there was actually a point in the game where we had more punt yardage than offense....let that sink in...

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

You know if we accept 8-4..alright but we don’t need to be paying someone 49 mil for it. It’s unfortunate Gus has to face an uphill battle against the likes of the SEC west but he gets paid big money now to figure it out. I mean if we can only depend on him to win games he should win then why do we need to make him one of the highest paid coaches?

Last year, I wasn’t tripping over the loss in the SEC championship game. It sucked but UGA was a damn good team and beating them twice would be freaking hard . What bother me was losing to a team like UCF afterwards. Stuff like that aggravates me. I am not expecting Gus to make the playoffs every year although I do expect him, at the very least,  be able to deliver a conference title once every 4 years or so ( Thinking during that span he would have the team he needs to get over the hump).

However, I do want us to be consistent against our foes. You can have a let down game here and there. Every team and coach has that, but to have multiple head scratchers year after year gets really old. Particularly when it is on the side of the ball, you pride yourself in.

Well said.

I mean auburn can be terrible historically with stints of brilliance, but they’re making far too much money and getting enough skill position talent to where they shouldn’t be this abysmal when they’re needed. You can’t be okay with losing the same way every year (or struggling) because of history 

Just now, DAG said:

Never discounted a single thing. I am not going to give him credit for almost beating someone though even if you do . I give him all the credit in the world for his victories such as against UGA and Bama. I also will critique him when he faces defeat like he did against LSU and  UCF. If that doesn’t sit right with you then you can disagree to agree like I have already chosen to do.

Never did I say he doesn't deserve grief for losses like UCF and LSU. I am simply stating to want Gus gone is insane. His resume through 5 years shows he could be Auburn's winningest coach ever and bring us more titles than we have ever had. I'm basing that on what he has done AND what he has almost done. He is young and the competition will never be tougher than it is right now. I think we have a potential hall of famer if we stick with him.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Never did I say he doesn't deserve grief for losses like UCF and LSU. I am simply stating to want Gus gone is insane. His resume through 5 years shows he could be Auburn's winningest coach ever and bring us more titles than we have ever had. I'm basing that on what he has done AND what he has almost done. He is young and the competition will never be tougher than it is right now. I think we have a potential hall of famer if we stick with him.

I never said anything about wanting him gone. If anything I’ve only said I wanted consistency in the good way. You need to direct that to the people who are saying he should be fired. My only disagreement with you was speaking on the highs that he had but not mentioning the lows. 

59 minutes ago, corchjay said:

If Bama plays like they have been playing no team will stay within 20 of them.  

However I do think they are suspect at linebacker but getting better.  They are having minor problems running the football effectively at times.   But hell no one plays perfect games.   Just get me to the game at 10-1 and I’ll be happy with the chance of winning the west but we got a long haul to get to that point

Georgia’s defense looks inconsistent and they really have wavered in their trust of Fromm several times, and I think we can take advantage of one of those things, but I just don’t know what chance we have to block their front 7. Our receiver talent blows Missouri’s out the water and they loooked like a better team at times. Our front is better which annihilated UGA at times (whenever they weren’t allowing like 20 yard runs ) 

the pieces are there, I just don’t think we have the IQ to take advantage. This could be one of the more frustrating Deep South games in a while 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

I never said anything about wanting him gone. If anything I’ve only said I wanted consistency in the good way. You need to direct that to the people who are saying he should be fired. My only disagreement with you was speaking on the highs that he had but not mentioning the lows. 

Wait. So what was the point of your original reply to me? I was saying that our team wasn't terrible and using a 1 point loss to a Top 5 team as evidence. What is your point?

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Subtract Chip from this thought process and I agree......

Maybe to a small extent but personally,  I don't think there's a lot there to ruin.

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Wait. So what was the point of your original reply to me? I was saying that our team wasn't terrible and using a 1 point loss to a Top 5 team as evidence. What is your point?

I actually agreed with you about that if you read my original post. I don’t think our team is terrible at all. My only disagreement was about the almost thing(we’ve discussed this) and your point about Gus beating two #1s ( we discussed this as well as you are okay with pointing out both achievements and losses). So basically we actually agree. Just debating about nothing.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I actually agreed with you about that if you read my original post. I don’t think our team is terrible at all. My only disagreement was about the almost thing(we’ve discussed this) and your point about Gus beating two #1s ( we discussed this as well as you are okay with pointing out both achievements and losses). So basically we actually agree. Just debating about nothing.

That's what I'm saying. We don't actually disagree. 

This is how I feel about watching Auburn games this season. ZERO FUN SIR lol. MAKE FOOTBALL FUN AGAIN AT AU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, cctiger said:

Well he kind of gets paid to just do play-by-play and say mostly good things. Almost sure that Mike Kolen got fired back in the day for criticizing Barfield's coaching when he was doing the job Stan is doing now.

I don't recall Kolen getting fired...Jim Fyffe took over because the broadcast rights changed.

Before you guys grill me for this. Think about this

we will either be 7-2 or 8-1 going into Georgia.  I know the offense is BAD. But the defense is that good. And look at who we play between now and UGA. next week we play ms state. They haven’t looked good either. That game is a toss up. Ole miss and Tennessee are bad and we should win those. I’m not sold on a&m either. We should win that. 

All of this is because our d. I’d be surprised if any of those teams score big points on us. 

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think anybody disagrees too much really. Just some don't want people to be too vocal about it, maybe?

We’re all hurt right now and everyone handles it differently. For some people it’s bashing other Auburn men and women. Others it’s bashing coaches. Some focus on specific players. Then there’s the few who always have to compare to and bring up the Turds.

I think it’s fair to say we’re not winning the SEC and definitely not making it to the playoffs. That puts a lot of people in a “f” it mode.

The 4 team playoff was introduced 4 years ago, in part due to an Auburn team that got hosed, and we’re all likely upset that we haven’t been a part of it yet. Last year still feels like it wasn’t the correct timeline and that some awful butterfly effect magically caused us to lose the LSU, Georgia, and UCF games. After beating Georgia and Alabama back to back it just felt like the correct path should have been another defeat of Georgia and a playoff berth. So I still think last year is weighing on some of us.

Now, and my final point, for those of us looking to next year, it doesn’t look much better. We’re going to lose JS and be very uncertain about our next starter. We lose 3 awesome linebackers and at least 2 defensive lineman. Secondary is to be determined who we’ll lose. RB is still uncertain and bad guard play hasn’t helped. We don’t have a Michael Dyer level freshman coming through the tunnel in this recruiting class either barring a total meltdown of LSPoo

Archived