Southern Miss Postgame Thread

tbone1430

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Stuff like this shows so much bias it takes away from any kind of point you want to make. The offense sucks because of Gus, but the defense is great with no credit to Gus. Yeesh.

Please tell me you're not that ignorant....please. Gus has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the defense. That is Steele's baby and those kids play for him. Period. Gus is ALL up in the offense. It's pretty evident if you've ever watched a Chip Lindsey offense operating. Our O is not a CL offense. It may show flashes here and there with certain plays, but the underlying construct has a Gus stamp all over it. Teams have and are keying on that and exploiting it. Gus has ruined every QB he's had at Auburn minus 2. But....they had other worldly, phenomenal ATHLETIC abilities that enabled them to mask the incompetence of play calling by their HC.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly believe Stidham is one of the worst scrambling quarterbacks of all time. Has no idea when to step up or when to bail. No awareness of when he’s about to get nailed. Once he leaves the pocket his eyes go down and he’s no longer looking for a receiver but he also doesn’t commit to running for any yards....

20 minutes ago, WarEagle123 said:

Before you guys grill me for this. Think about this

we will either be 7-2 or 8-1 going into Georgia.  I know the offense is BAD. But the defense is that good. And look at who we play between now and UGA. next week we play ms state. They haven’t looked good either. That game is a toss up. Ole miss and Tennessee are bad and we should win those. I’m not sold on a&m either. We should win that. 

All of this is because our d. I’d be surprised if any of those teams score big points on us. 

I’m not real sure we don’t roll into UGA as a 3 or 4 loss team. The teams we play in between aren’t great, but we’re not either (offensively). We’ll learn an awful lot in Starkville Sat. 

46 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think anybody disagrees too much really. Just some don't want people to be too vocal about it, maybe?

I think the ones that don't are just using the good things Gus has done here to drown out the shitshow we're witnessing. It's like living in an alternative reality. 

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

Yep to bad we already have coaches that give up 12 point 4th qtr leads... amirite

A 98 yard drive by OSU that took only two minutes and then with game on the line and two minutes to play, ...fourth and 4, calls an off tackle run that is smothered in the backfield.

JF is really catching the heat today...(which of course started immediately after the game)    

JMO but I don't care for either coach...but neither hurt their standings ...but PSU probably out of the playoff picture now.

43 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We’re all hurt right now and everyone handles it differently. For some people it’s bashing other Auburn men and women. Others it’s bashing coaches. Some focus on specific players. Then there’s the few who always have to compare to and bring up the Turds.

I think it’s fair to say we’re not winning the SEC and definitely not making it to the playoffs. That puts a lot of people in a “f” it mode.

The 4 team playoff was introduced 4 years ago, in part due to an Auburn team that got hosed, and we’re all likely upset that we haven’t been a part of it yet. Last year still feels like it wasn’t the correct timeline and that some awful butterfly effect magically caused us to lose the LSU, Georgia, and UCF games. After beating Georgia and Alabama back to back it just felt like the correct path should have been another defeat of Georgia and a playoff berth. So I still think last year is weighing on some of us.

Now, and my final point, for those of us looking to next year, it doesn’t look much better. We’re going to lose JS and be very uncertain about our next starter. We lose 3 awesome linebackers and at least 2 defensive lineman. Secondary is to be determined who we’ll lose. RB is still uncertain and bad guard play hasn’t helped. We don’t have a Michael Dyer level freshman coming through the tunnel in this recruiting class either barring a total meltdown of LSPoo

I agree. And I think this year's performance was supposed to be next year's. So now of course thinking about next year performance will cause you to lose sleep at night

Yes that 4th down call was mind boggling.  Took a timeout before it too. Sound familiar? Haha. 

Seriously don't know why you take the ball out of McSorely's hands there. Weren't they in range of a long FG try?  So they did not have a good kicker? 

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree. And I think this year's performance was supposed to be next year's. So now of course thinking about next year performance will cause you to lose sleep at night

It’s going to be bad...if we don’t get KB it will get ugly. I don’t know how people think Bo Nix, a true freshman, will come straight in and fix this. It won’t happen. I watched Dabo today and somehow he kept his team in it against a Syracuse team who smelled blood. What do you think would happen to us if JS went down against someone like Miss state?

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I honestly believe Stidham is one of the worst scrambling quarterbacks of all time. Has no idea when to step up or when to bail. No awareness of when he’s about to get nailed. Once he leaves the pocket his eyes go down and he’s no longer looking for a receiver but he also doesn’t commit to running for any yards....

I’ve seen Stidham save multiple plays when he’s been forced out of the pocket and made a last second throw on the run.  Most have been for crucial conversions so I’d give him a little bit of credit.

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Well I think that is silly and so do you. Titles are the sport's ultimate barometer.

We have more titles and have been closer to national titles since Gus' arrival than Florida, Oklahoma, Penn State, Michigan, LSU, Miami, Texas, Okie State, USC, Nebraska, VT, and most of the nation's bluebloods.

The only reason we feel otherwise is that our archrival is in the middle of the greatest run in college football history, and our secondary rival MIGHT build a dynasty due to a total lack of competition.

UGA without question IS building in the East what the Turds have in the West. And it isn't because of lack of competition, it's because Kirby learned all the tricks of the trade from little Nicky and knows where the bodies are buried. This is going to allow him to continue building Bama 2.0 in the East. 

So we better figure out how to handle this better or we will be in real trouble in a couple of years. 

7 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

This right here is what frustrates me.  Auburn in its history has been a slightly above average program with short periods of brilliance sprinkled around short periods of mediocrity.  

All time, Auburn is a top 15 team. That's hardly a "slightly above average program." 

There are PLENTY teams that would take our "slightly above average programs" history and change it with their own. Like all but 14 other squads are below us all time. But sure... We are a "slightly above average program." 

7 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

Maybe to a small extent but personally,  I don't think there's a lot there to ruin.

This shows your lack of football knowledge. JS is one of the most talented QBs we have ever had at Auburn. He is regressing under the clowns coaching him. 

I do believe JS would look SIGNIFICANTLY different in an actual Chip Lindsey Air Raid offense, rather than this.... Um.... Offense we run. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

We’re all hurt right now and everyone handles it differently. For some people it’s bashing other Auburn men and women. Others it’s bashing coaches. Some focus on specific players. Then there’s the few who always have to compare to and bring up the Turds.

I think it’s fair to say we’re not winning the SEC and definitely not making it to the playoffs. That puts a lot of people in a “f” it mode.

The 4 team playoff was introduced 4 years ago, in part due to an Auburn team that got hosed, and we’re all likely upset that we haven’t been a part of it yet. Last year still feels like it wasn’t the correct timeline and that some awful butterfly effect magically caused us to lose the LSU, Georgia, and UCF games. After beating Georgia and Alabama back to back it just felt like the correct path should have been another defeat of Georgia and a playoff berth. So I still think last year is weighing on some of us.

Now, and my final point, for those of us looking to next year, it doesn’t look much better. We’re going to lose JS and be very uncertain about our next starter. We lose 3 awesome linebackers and at least 2 defensive lineman. Secondary is to be determined who we’ll lose. RB is still uncertain and bad guard play hasn’t helped. We don’t have a Michael Dyer level freshman coming through the tunnel in this recruiting class either barring a total meltdown of LSPoo

And there isn't any real help coming in on the OL either unless we can somehow snag Webb, and even then Brahms isn't really the issue. Maybe he could slide over to guard? But either way, there aren't any top tier tackles being brought in this class either. 

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

UGA without question IS building in the East what the Turds have in the West. And it isn't because of lack of competition, it's because Kirby learned all the tricks of the trade from little Nicky and knows where the bodies are buried. This is going to allow him to continue building Bama 2.0 in the East. 

So we better figure out how to handle this better or we will be in real trouble in a couple of years. 

All time, Auburn is a top 15 team. That's hardly a "slightly above average program." 

There are PLENTY teams that would take our "slightly above average programs" history and change it with their own. Like all but 14 other squads are below us all time. But sure... We are a "slightly above average program." 

This shows your lack of football knowledge. JS is one of the most talented QBs we have ever had at Auburn. He is regressing under the clowns coaching him. 

I do believe JS would look SIGNIFICANTLY different in an actual Chip Lindsey Air Raid offense, rather than this.... Um.... Offense we run. 

And there isn't any real help coming in on the OL either unless we can somehow snag Webb, and even then Brahms isn't really the issue. Maybe he could slide over to guard? But either way, there aren't any top tier tackles being brought in this class either. 

Yeah man I didn’t mean any disrespect or anything I was just trying to make a point. We’re not a “blueblood” program like ND or USC or what have you. The slightly above average wasn’t meant to be a put down of Auburn. I’m quite proud of Auburn history and of being the scrappy underdog to the moronic empire across the state.  I just think we could be more with the right guy in place. 

People that say JS is one of the most talented qbs EVER at Auburn crack me up......Where???? When did you see this? His high school film? In practice?

He's one of the most nervous....I'll give him that. That I can see. That has been shown

9 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Yeah man I didn’t mean any disrespect or anything I was just trying to make a point. We’re not a “blueblood” program like ND or USC or what have you. The slightly above average wasn’t meant to be a put down of Auburn. I’m quite proud of Auburn history and of being the scrappy underdog to the moronic empire across the state.  I just think we could be more with the right guy in place. 

I 100% agree. And I apologize for my misunderstanding. On days like these, you never can be sure about motives. I was just pointing out that we are an all time top 15 team. 

I'm no Gus lover... Like AT ALL... and I certainly wouldn't stand between him and the axe falling on him. Truth be told I'd probably help swing it... Simply because I am tired of the inconsistencies from his side of the ball... But sometimes people just can't really take a look at things subjectively. 

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

People that say JS is one of the most talented qbs EVER at Auburn crack me up......Where???? When did you see this? His high school film? In practice?

He's one of the most nervous....I'll give him that. That I can see. That has been shown

I think in the right system he could be a good QB...but he’s in the WRONG system for a developing QB...

Auburn has always been a underdog team and will always be one. Alabama and Georgia will always get the cream of the crop in recruiting. So everyone chill out. We fight with one arm tied behind are back and we have a chance every game. Winning a nc isn't easy.

6 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

Auburn has always been a underdog team and will always be one. Alabama and Georgia will always get the cream of the crop in recruiting. So everyone chill out. We fight with one arm tied behind are back and we have a chance every game. Winning a nc isn't easy.

Is that you Tubbs?  How’s the duck hunting?

7 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

Winning a nc? Winning a nc?  You’re talking about winning a nc? 

We will settle for a competent offensive performance at this juncture. I came into this year hoping for a second straight ten win season...is that too much to ask? 

A NC? Lol...I think most of us realize that ain’t happening anytime soon....

2 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Winning a nc? Winning a nc?  You’re talking about winning a nc? 

We will settle for a competent offensive performance at this juncture. I came into this year hoping for a second straight ten win season...is that too much to ask? 

A NC? Lol...I think most of us realize that ain’t happening anytime soon....

You said that last year too. We are 4-1. And lost in last second to a top 5 team. We have a schedule that is impossible. We have been recruiting well on defensive side but are offensive recruiting has been less then stellar. To many duds in key positions. 

6 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

You said that last year too. We are 4-1. And lost in last second to a top 5 team. We have a schedule that is impossible. We have been recruiting well on defensive side but are offensive recruiting has been less then stellar. To many duds in key positions. 

Yeah man ok sounds good. Sorry I’m busy over here with these unicorns and flying pigs.

Well I know it wasn't good last night but I only could listen on radio. Never came back on dish. It must have been even worse in person. For the record I am sick of Gus football too. need to go after stoops. 

3 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Just got to keep recruiting those offensive linemen. Said that every year. He’ll bring back Jeff Grimes. You still get your “Grimes” but he can recruit and coach.

Isn't he like the OC at BYU? It would sure be a difficult pull. And I'm not sure his offensive scheme would mix with that of Gus. But we sure need someone who can bring in OL talent and coach them up. 

8 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Isn't he like the OC at BYU? It would sure be a difficult pull. And I'm not sure his offensive scheme would mix with that of Gus. But we sure need someone who can bring in OL talent and coach them up. 

Haven’t kept up with him. Last I saw he was oline coach at LSU. Quick check he is at BYU. 

If Gus is a offensive guru how come newton and Marshall were his only good offensive years.. every year it's a constant offensive struggle. I am starting to believe he is only a offensive guru in high school or Sun belt school.

Archived