Southern Miss Postgame Thread

tbone1430

Jarrett Stidham in 3 games as a starter at Baylor against Kansas state , Ranked Oklahoma and Oklahoma State

6 TDS - 2 interceptions 

934 yards passing 

62.9 % completion rate.

as a true freshman.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well he did very well in he Baylor system as a true freshman. There is no way you can possibly deny that. 

Seemed to in the few games he played.   Don't know if it is the system or the coaching or what but Baylor and Wash State are not doing that well now and teams have figured how to defense them. 

That question of yours raises the issue that arose some years ago about a number of QBs...  Was it their skill, or was it the system they played in?   and it was deemed to be a slam to suggest that any QB was good because of the system he was in...which got applied to Cam for example and all those guys out west with 4000+ yards per season but who could not make it to the NFL.   

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Seemed to in the few games he played.   Don't know if it is the system or the coaching or what but Baylor and Wash State are not doing that well now and teams have figured how to defense them. 

That question of yours raises the issue that arose some years ago about a number of QBs...  Was it their skill, or was it the system they played in?   and it was deemed to be a slam to suggest that any QB was good because of the system he was in...which got applied to Cam for example and all those guys out west with 4000+ yards per season but who could not make it to the NFL.   

It’s the system. We know it’s the system. That has never been a question. Just like our system pretty much compromises the SWs of the world.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Baylor was doing very well when Art Briles was the coach. They aren’t doing so well now after he got canned. So that’s that. Washington State historically doesn’t do well, so that’s not new.

Edit: Washington State is actually 4-1.

Just lost to see USC by a FG

there QB numbers is actually very good. You can look that up. Lol this is why I like to research.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Baylor was doing very well when Art Briles was the coach. They aren’t doing so well now after he got canned. So that’s that. Washington State historically doesn’t do well, so that’s not new.

True...both schools have their issues these days....but can't recall that either.   Not sure that him playing at either of those schools or in either of those systems would be a good NFL prep?     Somehow the guy has to be bigger than a system to take the next step though maybe that is an issue for another day.   

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

In fact Washington state leads the pac 12 in passing offense haha..well. Next point.

Yep....can't deny that....and interesting their QB is from Brandon Ms and at his third school....but doing well in that system throwing the ball  more than 50 times a game....but 500 yards offense this past week and 28points.  though 90 yards were on one play to win the game.....

I just thought maybe JS would be more suited to a pocket passing offense. If our O line was solid I think he would be fine at AU. He has some issues of his own though I think and I’m not sure anyone on our staff is a great QB coach so he may have been better off somewhere else. 

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True...both schools have their issues these days....but can't recall that either.   Not sure that him playing at either of those schools or in either of those systems would be a good NFL prep?     Somehow the guy has to be bigger than a system to take the next step though maybe that is an issue for another day.   

Now we are arguing about NFL? This system at Auburn does not make QBs ready for the NFL. Nor should it. The goal for college football is to be successful to get you a look at the NFL level. After that it is up to you. And please do not dare say Gus system was the reason for Cam Newtons success at the next level. As a die hard Carolina Panther fan, I am going to tell you it did not. Can couldn’t even read a defense when he came into the NFL. Mike Shula, who is a god awful OC, is a great QB coach and should be credited with that. Also, Coach Chud did an absolutely wonderful job transitioning him into the NFL by making it easy on him and utilizing his strengths his rookie season. Unfortunately, he left for an head coaching Job the next season which really sucked.

The same applies to Alabama and their RBs. They are skilled but they also have the best dang linemen in the nation, so, there numbers are going to look great. For example, Jacksonville fans absolutely love Corey Grant much more than TJ yeldon. 

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

Now we are arguing about NFL? This system at Auburn does not make QBs ready for the NFL. Nor should it. The goal for college football is to be successful to get you a look at the NFL level. After that it is up to you. 

Agree 100% but seems that a lot of complaints about our QB coaching …which is on Chip by the way, is that it does not prepare JS for the NFL....which as you say, is not Chip's job. 

Likely the "pirate" does not think his job is to produce  NFL QBs in deference to the O that he likes to run and I expect very few college coaches try to run a pre-NFL offense as a means of attracting HS  QBs. 

And we can blame Gus or his OC or someone but I can't recall when AU last had a 5* HS quarterback recruit....some good 4* kids and even some 3* guys like Willis and White who we were hoping to see play.....or JFIII and some "athletes" like Joey who were more highly rated based on their "athlete" status.   Could be wrong but I doubt all those 5* QBs come to bama because they expect exceptional QB coaching?...could be I guess......, but bama has lost a lot of those guys and they have played musical chairs with OCs for quite a while.  But,  they always have kept it simple for their QBs and not depended on them to win games for the team. .

For better or worse, AU usually depends on the QB to be a guy who can win a ball game when all else seems to be going wrong. JMO

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree 100% but seems that a lot of complaints about our QB coaching …which is on Chip by the way, is that it does not prepare JS for the NFL....which as you say, is not Chip's job. 

Likely the "pirate" does not think his job is to produce  NFL QBs in deference to the O that he likes to run and I expect very few college coaches try to run a pre-NFL offense as a means of attracting HS  QBs. 

And we can blame Gus or his OC or someone but I can't recall when AU last had a 5* HS quarterback recruit....some good 4* kids and even some 3* guys like Willis and White who we were hoping to see play.....or JFIII and some "athletes" like Joey who were more highly rated based on their "athlete" status.   Could be wrong but I doubt all those 5* QBs come to bama because they expect exceptional QB coaching?...could be I guess......, but bama has lost a lot of those guys and they have played musical chairs with OCs for quite a while.  But,  they always have kept it simple for their QBs and not depended on them to win games for the team. .

For better or worse, AU usually depends on the QB to be a guy who can win a ball game when all else seems to be going wrong. JMO

No it’s not chip job to prepare him for the NFL. But it is Chips job to make sure he is getting the very best out of him at AU. If JS is incapable of doing that for whatever reason then it should be dealt with appropriately.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

No it’s not chip job to prepare him for the NFL. But it is Chips job to make sure he is getting the very best out of him at AU. If JS is incapable of doing that for whatever reason then it should be dealt with appropriately.

Looking for a little more passion from the O...from coaches on down...

5 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

AU agreed to new deal with Gus on Dec 3. 2017.  Greene was hired on Jan 18, 2018.  JJ had long been persona non grata and wasn’t negotiating anything other than his departure. 

I am not sure what narrative you are pushing, but it sure does appear you are trying to discredit Greene.  Is there a reason why you are doing that?  Curious minds would like to know why. 

You’re wrong again. I’m not trying to discredit Green, I’m one of the few that’s willing to give Gus a shot at this.  I am simply saying, people love Green and hate Gus and the current contract Gus is under, to include the buyout, was negotiated (and signed) by Green!

I’m also not saying the O shouldn’t of played better two days ago. I am simply saying when you already have a young inexperienced O line, plus young and inexperienced running back’s, then you lose your starting running back, and you also lose both your starting O tackles, it’s gonna look ugly at times.

Not referring all of the following to you in general, but to the Gus haters on this board:

The good play calls were called by Chip, the bad play were called by Gus. We don’t like Gus and we like Green so Green had nothing to do with Gus’s contract. We like Muschamp and Kevin Steele, so Gus had nothing to do with bringing either one of them to Auburn. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

You’re wrong again. I’m not trying to discredit Green, I’m one of the few that’s willing to give Gus a shot at this.  I am simply saying, people love Green and hate Gus and the current contract Gus is under, to include the buyout, was negotiated (and signed) by Green!

I’m also not saying the O shouldn’t of played better two days ago. I am simply saying when you already have a young inexperienced O line, plus young and inexperienced running back’s, then you lose your starting running back, and you also lose both your starting O tackles, it’s gonna look ugly at times.

Not referring all of the following to you in general, but to the Gus haters on this board:

The good play calls were called by Chip, the bad play were called by Gus. We don’t like Gus and we like Green so Green had nothing to do with Gus’s contract. We like Muschamp and Kevin Steele, so Gus had nothing to do with bringing either one of them to Auburn. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

This will be my last attempt to present the facts to you, although I am reasonably certain you will continue to ignore them because they clearly show your biased narrative. 

Here is a link to a PDF of the current amended contract. You will note that Greene is not a signatory to the contract.  Leath signed the contract and it was recommended by JJ.  Greene was hired on Jan 18, 2018 and was not in an official capacity until JJ stepped aside.  Leath negotiated the contract.  The contract was signed on Jan 26, 2018.  

https://www.scribd.com/document/370894790/Gus-Malzahn-Contract-Revision-2018

FWIW, I couldn’t care less that you don’t like Greene, and your reason for not liking him could be the same reason why Henry Ford fired Lee Iacocca (I will save you the trouble of researching that...Ford just did not like him).  That said, I suspect you have a different reason for not liking Greene. 

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Jarrett Stidham in 3 games as a starter at Baylor against Kansas state , Ranked Oklahoma and Oklahoma State

6 TDS - 2 interceptions 

934 yards passing 

62.9 % completion rate.

as a true freshman.

True but that was before his injury. Was the injury such mentally that now he is watching the runs instead of the field ?

4 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

This will be my last attempt to present the facts to you, although I am reasonably certain you will continue to ignore them because they clearly show your biased narrative. 

Here is a link to a PDF of the current amended contract. You will note that Greene is not a signatory to the contract.  Leath signed the contract and it was recommended by JJ.  Greene was hired on Jan 18, 2018 and was not in an official capacity until JJ stepped aside.  Leath negotiated the contract.  The contract was signed on Jan 26, 2018.  

https://www.scribd.com/document/370894790/Gus-Malzahn-Contract-Revision-2018

FWIW, I couldn’t care less that you don’t like Greene, and your reason for not liking him could be the same reason why Henry Ford fired Lee Iacocca (I will save you the trouble of researching that...Ford just did not like him).  That said, I suspect you have a different reason for not liking Greene. 

I’ll try for the last time as well! Your problem is: you hate Gus so bad, and you love AD Green so much, you simply can’t fathom Green, giving Gus a long, lucrative contract and a huge buyout. Don’t get me wrong... many an Auburn money man, to include “Jay, Jay is a friend, money man” agreed to it, or it wouldn’t have happened. Nonetheless it was Green that worked the deal!

I don’t know how much inside information you think you have, or you do actually have, but I assure you “Jay Jacobs” (as you continue to bring up Leath) had little to do with Gus on his current contract or current buy-out.  Do you actually think the millionaire and billionaire boosters (who finally wanted Jacobs gone about three or four years to late) were going to let Jacobs work this deal on his way out the door?

Our current “AD Green” was the middle-man (middle between boosters, admin and Sexton) who had allot to do with it. Again, I never said I didn’t like Green. I simply said it kills me that you Gus haters, that despise Gus so much and love Green so much, when it’s Green that got Gus the contract and the buyout. 

Who do you think got coach Flow her current contract? Are you blaming that on the School Pres as well?

Believe me, on this one, I know what I’m talking about, if I didn’t, I would be the first to tell you. 

4 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

True but that was before his injury. Was the injury such mentally that now he is watching the runs instead of the field ?

I don’t think so. I think this offense requires him to think plus he is facing much more tougher defenses. The Baylor offense is much more simplified . JS said this straight out of his mouth. Something to the extent of how he could teach someone the Baylor offense within an hour. He was hardly reading anything and it allowed him to catch the snap and get the ball out.

I also think him sitting out a year and playing  toss with a bunch of high schoolers truly hurt him. He essentially had to relearn the game speeed in his first year at Auburn.

8 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I’ll try for the last time as well! Your problem is: you hate Gus so bad, and you love AD Green so much, you simply can’t fathom Green, giving Gus a long, lucrative contract and a huge buyout. Don’t get me wrong... many an Auburn money man, to include “Jay, Jay is a friend, money man” agreed to it, or it wouldn’t have happened. Nonetheless it was Green that worked the deal!

I don’t know how much inside information you think you have, or you do actually have, but I assure you “Jay Jacobs” (as you continue to bring up Leath) had little to do with Gus on his current contract or current buy-out.  Do you actually think the millionaire and billionaire boosters (who finally wanted Jacobs gone about three or four years to late) were going to let Jacobs work this deal on his way out the door?

Our current “AD Green” was the middle-man (middle between boosters, admin and Sexton) who had allot to do with it. Again, I never said I didn’t like Green. I simply said it kills me that you Gus haters, that despise Gus so much and love Green so much, when it’s Green that got Gus the contract and the buyout. 

Who do you think got coach Flow her current contract? Are you blaming that on the School Pres as well?

Believe me, on this one, I know what I’m talking about, if I didn’t, I would be the first to tell you. 

Just one other thought on the matter......I find it hard to believe that Greene did not have input with the decision to extend the contract and that it was not discussed in depth before he was actually hired.    Can't think that anyone in authority would make such a serious move without knowing that their incoming AD was good with it....I mean, it would be foolish to saddle Greene with a coach and contract that he did not find acceptable.   JMO    Lots of fingers in the pie that is Gus"s  contract.  

Archived