Southern Miss Postgame Thread

tbone1430

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bashing anyone or anything, but things look bleak on the offensive side of the ball. 

But this IS a team sport and as a team, we are good in 2 of 3 of the field. Defense and special teams look fine. We just need to be able find a pulse on offense. 

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

We’re 4-1 with the only loss to the #5 team regardless of where we finish.  That is hardly any result that would even be in discussion for making coaching changes.

Told you.

Excellent post glad you agree with me.  Sorry most on this board can’t see the raw numbers.  A win is a win.   Did you think this team was going to win a national championship this year??  If so, why?   Because year 6 and $49m?

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Excellent post glad you agree with me.  Sorry most on this board can’t see the raw numbers.  A win is a win.   Did you think this team was going to win a national championship this year??  If so, why?   Because year 6 and $49m?

I thought a top 5 defense and an offense loaded with receiver talent and a stud QB returning could make up for their sins from last year. Thought Grimes could make the OL more serviceable even though I knew he was/is a bad recruiter.

It was foolish to think we might adjust our offense to our strengths though... offseasons can really make one a blind optimist.

24 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

FWIW Jay Jacobs is no longer Gus's boss.  Greene seems to  be the anti Jacobs.   He has told Gus that if he wants a football only facility he needs to win.  Right now Gus is 4-1 for the season, but the difficulty is going to  ramp up.  I do not see this team doing  better than 7-5. Unlike Jacobs I am expecting Greene tohave a VERY thorough end of season review with Gus(probably the first  Gus has ever had).  Will be interesting to see.

Once again, can't stress this enough, what incentive does Gus have to make improvements? You saw how he looked like he had taken a Xanax cocktail in postgame. He's guaranteed $49 million. No matter how bad it gets this season his seat isn't getting hot at all. I shudder to think what will happen to our recruiting by the time we're through with that buyout.

If nothing else, I can only hope that this season serves as a lesson to Greene: unless they're potentially going somewhere else OR if we absolutely need him, DO NOT give a coach a huge buyout!

EDIT: As 24 says below, though, it IS absolute BS that they were able to OPENLY relocate Tua's family. The rules simply don't apply to them.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Everyone needs to lay off  KM he has more fortitude and grit than any other player on our offense. Tell you something else people always saying KM can’t be an everydown RB should look again at Whitlow he gets injured often.

Kmart ran his ass off tonight...kudos

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

No one is saying how great anything is. Just being real.  Everyone looked at the schedule.  Looked at the youth.  Hoped Stidham would be a stud and still predicated 10-2 or 9-3.  Is the offense poor?  Yep.  It’ll improve.  How quickly I have no idea and now both tackles are banged up after both guards have been banged up and a 2 game starter at center.  Regardless of year 6, 12, or 1... tough schedule and inexperience isn’t a good match.  

Thanks for injecting some common sense to the board!

We simply don’t have three dozen well paid five stars on the team, to go along with four dozen four stars driving new Dodge Chargers, plus the #1 rated, duel threat QB that thanked the University for moving his family from Hawaii to West Vance, (Amazing how said university moved the entire family, provided a place for them to live, found them jobs etc. and did it all legally) and a favorable schedule. So because of that, we’re just not going to compete for a national championship every year.

Once more people realize this, they won’t be as upset about the situation on the planes.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I thought a top 5 defense and an offense loaded with receiver talent and a stud QB returning could make up for their sins from last year. Thought Grimes could make the OL more serviceable even though I knew he was/is a bad recruiter.

It was foolish to think we might adjust our offense to our strengths though... offseasons can really make one a blind optimist.

Just think we are 1 blown secondary coverage bust vs LSU and 2 pass interference calls away from 5-0...  

12 minutes ago, corchjay said:

No one is saying how great anything is. Just being real.  Everyone looked at the schedule.  Looked at the youth.  Hoped Stidham would be a stud and still predicated 10-2 or 9-3.  Is the offense poor?  Yep.  It’ll improve.  How quickly I have no idea and now both tackles are banged up after both guards have been banged up and a 2 game starter at center.  Regardless of year 6, 12, or 1... tough schedule and inexperience isn’t a good match.  

Coach, I respect you and your perspectives on here. I disagree with your outlook. I do believe in year six we should not be fighting some of the same problems and if there are deficiencies its on Gus ultimately.  But I don’t want to go back and forth on this with you because we’re not gonna change each other’s minds and I do value your opinions.

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

We simply don’t have three dozen well paid five stars on the team, to go along with four dozen four stars driving new Dodge Chargers, plus the #1 rated, duel threat QB that thanked the University for moving his family from Hawaii to West Vance, (Amazing how said university moved the entire family, provided a place for them to live, found them jobs etc. and did it all legally) and a favorable schedule. So because of that, we’re just not going to compete for a national championship every year.

Once more people realize this, they won’t be as upset about the situation on the planes.

I understand the frustration that everyone has but calling for firings and insulting each other and all that is just weird to me.   We have to get better on offense and I to hoped JS would be better this year and be a leader and put the team on his back early and hoped we could have had a shot at the end of the season.   Not saying we don’t now but doesn’t look good.  But this wasn’t and still isn’t a championship team 

23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I’m just not mentally ready  for the 50 point butt whooping we’re going to catch AT Alabama and AT Georgia. I really can’t take another bowl game choke job either.

Things look bleak. 

Better get ready for that butt whooping in tuscaloser man.

Just now, AU-24 said:

What a p****-*** response.

Kids go to play for Saban because he's a REAL coach who gets results and pushes players.  I wouldn't play for Malzahn for any amount of money.  This is where you want to go after this clown-show of a performance? We are an embarrassment and all you can bring up is Alabama.  Pathetic.  Why the **** would Saban need to cheat to get players to go play for him? You might want to ask yourself how we have a roster stocked full of 4+ star receivers despite the fact that our HC can't even formulate an offense wherein a QB who was pegged as a Top 15 pick just weeks ago gets the ball in their hands.

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

We will be 8-4 or 7-5 team and this is typical for a Gus team and every four or five years we will have a very competitive team. If people want him fired the most effective way is to quit buying season tickets but that in turn just hurts the players. As much as I want him gone just don't see the university pulling that trigger for a few more years.

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Coach, I respect you and your perspectives on here. I disagree with your outlook. I do believe in year six we should not be fighting some of the same problems and if there are deficiencies its on Gus ultimately.  But I don’t want to go back and forth on this with you because we’re not gonna change each other’s minds and I do value your opinions.

Thanks.  We’re cool I’ve taken no offense to anything you’ve said all have valid opinions that most of as adults with disagree on.  I see one thing you see another.  At the end of the day we gotta get better that’s something we all agree on.  If we do maybe theirs a shot at the end of the year.  That’s about all I really ask for most years a chance late going against our 2 main rivals with a chance at some sort of championship 

One little tidbit from the game...

"The offense went three-and-out five times, and was lucky to be leading 14-3 at halftime. Not only did starting running back Boobee Whitlow injury his shoulder, but Auburn's offense had more penalty yards (63) than rushing yards (43)." SMH

2 minutes ago, Tigercj said:

We will be 8-4 or 7-5 team and this is typical for a Gus team and every four or five years we will have a very competitive team. If people want him fired the most effective way is to quit buying season tickets but that in turn just hurts the players. As much as I want him gone just don't see the university pulling that trigger for a few more years.

Where do our 4 more loses come from?  The team that scored 6 against that UF defense tonight or got run out of the stadium in Kentucky?  Ole miss?  Liberty?  

5 minutes ago, metafour said:

Kids go to play for Saban because he's a REAL coach who gets results and pushes players.  I wouldn't play for Malzahn for any amount of money.  This is where you want to go after this clown-show of a performance? We are an embarrassment and all you can bring up is Alabama.  Pathetic.  Why the **** would Saban need to cheat to get players to go play for him? You might want to ask yourself how we have a roster stocked full of 4+ star receivers despite the fact that our HC can't even formulate an offense wherein a QB who was pegged as a Top 15 pick just weeks ago gets the ball in their hands.

If Auburn and Alabama both offered me a scholarship tomorrow I’d choose Alabama and it really wouldn’t be that hard of a decision. 

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

It’s still a massive honor to play for AU regardless of what you think.  Saban cheats with the best of them.  And maybe that QB should get the ball to those 4 star WRs 

10 minutes ago, metafour said:

I’ll also throw this bone out there there’s about 40-50 4 star WRs every year they ain’t that hard to come by anymore 

Just now, corchjay said:

It’s still a massive honor to play for AU regardless of what you think.  Saban cheats with the best of them.  And maybe that QB should get the ball to those 4 star WRs 

You aren't even worth responding to.

Malzahn isn't the guy and he won't last here.  The fact that you can even keep this charade up is sickening.  

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I understand the frustration that everyone has but calling for firings and insulting each other and all that is just weird to me.   We have to get better on offense and I to hoped JS would be better this year and be a leader and put the team on his back early and hoped we could have had a shot at the end of the season.   Not saying we don’t now but doesn’t look good.  But this wasn’t and still isn’t a championship team 

How do we go backwords since the Washington and LSU games? Is the O-line simply too banged up?

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Where do our 4 more loses come from?  The team that scored 6 against that UF defense tonight or got run out of the stadium in Kentucky?  Ole miss?  Liberty?  

Either Texas am or miss st are the possible other loss. The only thing that may prevent that is our defense. I do not see this offensive line getting better this year maybe next year but we have to recruit and coach better than we have over the past few years.

22 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

What does Bama have to do with us playing Southern Mississippi? Holy crap

Just now, Tigercj said:

Either Texas am or miss st are the possible other loss. The only thing that may prevent that is our defense. I do not see this offensive line getting better this year maybe next year but we have to recruit and coach better than we have over the past few years.

The OL can’t get much worse.  Only way to go is up so we got that going for us.  

I don’t see either of those teams beating us.  They could sure.  Heck USM could have tonight if we frick up some things

Archived