Southern Miss Game Report Card

StatTiger

I have 0% confidence we have the offensive coaches (OC, OL, RB) to improve this offense.  The handwriting is on the wall.  If we cannot run the ball on USM and Ark we will not run the ball on Miss St, UGA, and bammer.  The coaches apparently do not have the ability to shift our offense to a pass first attack with short slants and passes over the middle.  After seeing USM use crossing routes and pseudo pick plays I said USM has a much more advance passing attack versus our passing game.  I think our D keeps us in most games (not UGA and bammer - both blowouts).  We play Miss State close but they beat us at home.  We will fight tough games against UT, TAMU, Ole Miss.  Probably an 7-5 season with not much optimism about the OL and RB for next year.  I think Stidham leaves either way after this year.  Pros or grad transfer.  He knows he needs to be on a passing team that has an OL and pass routes to get open.  Sounds like the sky is falling.  If Gus was a quality HC that cared about AU he would go ahead and start looking for a new OL coach that can coach and recruit and a new RB coach.  But we all know that is not going to happen.  I have seen nothing the last two weeks that show our offense is improving.  Harsh reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

For the first time during the Malzahn offensive era at Auburn, the Tigers were held under 100-yards rushing during two consecutive games.

And the opponents were far from great

• Like 6

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic
56 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Southern Miss completed 30 of 44 passes and the 215-yards surrendered was the fewest passing yards surrendered by an Auburn defense with 30 completions or more.

About  40 or so yards were gifts at the end of the game  when AU let SM backs catch short passes uncontested while the clock ran out.....kind of juiced up the SM stats but other than the D, there was little to be happy with.

Thanks for the analysis. ...always appreciate the work that goes into it...

i am not sure we need to replace our rb coach unless he is not happy. he sure has come up with some great backs while at auburn. i think the oline is the culprit for most of the rb troubles.

I have low expectations for the MSU game. This thing could end up a single digit slug fest with two good front 7's controlling the game and 2 anemic offenses trying to out snooze each other. 

What do you guys think, like 6-3? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I have low expectations for the MSU game. This thing could end up a single digit slug fest with two good front 7's controlling the game and 2 anemic offenses trying to out snooze each other. 

What do you guys think, like 6-3? 

3-2

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

So Asa Martin is this year's Devin Barrett. Where he gets one touch each game, the defense knows it, and is predictably stuffed. ?

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 2

Something has to happen with the O line.  I certainly don’t have the answer and I don’t think our $7M a year coach does either.  It’s sad to watch.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

So Asa Martin is this year's Devin Barrett. Where he gets one touch each game, the defense knows it, and is predictably stuffed. ?

You and I know it......so why wouldn't any opposing coach of even the lowest pedigree know?

"Jarrett Stidham will have to carry the bulk of the offense, and the Auburn coaches will need to scheme to give him and his receivers the best chance for success. "

Do you believe that Gus is smart enough to do this, or too stubborn to even try?

5 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

"Jarrett Stidham will have to carry the bulk of the offense, and the Auburn coaches will need to scheme to give him and his receivers the best chance for success. "

Do you believe that Gus is smart enough to do this, or too stubborn to even try?

They are trying. More passes on 1st down than ever under Malzahn and more pass selections than runs during the first half. Southern Miss game marked the first time the offense had more pass attempts during the first-half then run plays. Ryan Davis has been the most targeted receiver every game until the USM game. Four players were targeted more than Davis yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

So is this something time can fix?

I do believe they are trying to adjust the offense based on the current circumstances but only time will tell if the adjustments are positive. Those that believe there have not been adjustments are not truly watching the games. Again, I am not saying the adjustments are the correct "fix" but it's not business as usual. IMO, there is only so much you will profit from throwing within 5-yards of the LOS 55-65 percent of the time and rarely targeting the intermediate routes. Against good defenses you will end up with games where the pass offense is 15 of 22 passes for 130-140 yards. Add the recent 100-130 yards rushing and you have 230-270 yards of offense by the end of the game. How many points can we hope for with that kind of yardage production? Even if you don't turn the ball over, you likely have 10-20 points max.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

Too stubborn to try.  Been saying that for five years. 

23 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Too stubborn to try.  Been saying that for five years. 

Still operating on the premise that Gus is calling the plays?   

Check Statiger's comments a few hours ago.....offense does not look the same and once again I am of the view that our QB is much of the problem.

I'm wondering how many "pass plays" end up with a ball not being thrown to whoever was the primary or secondary receiver.   Seems to me that too many of our passing attempts do nothing....busted plays with an attempt to run,  balls dumped out of bounds and a few sacks too.... ..must be close to a fourth of our plays?  ?  

I’m gonna sit down Saturday night, grab a burger, grab a drink and watch Auburn with an open mind and take off my Anti-Gus glasses and just see what he can do with all of the problems and angst on offense. If we look like we improve I will be fair to him. 20 points is probably enough to win this game and that shouldn’t be unreasonable to attain.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I’m gonna sit down Saturday night, grab a burger, grab a drink and watch Auburn with an open mind and take off my Anti-Gus glasses and just see what he can do with all of the problems and angst on offense. If we look like we improve I will be fair to him. 20 points is probably enough to win this game and that shouldn’t be unreasonable to attain.

Not me.  If they don't get 21 points there's still a problem.  :beer2:

12 hours ago, hooverwareagle1 said:

I have 0% confidence we have the offensive coaches (OC, OL, RB) to improve this offense.  The handwriting is on the wall.  If we cannot run the ball on USM and Ark we will not run the ball on Miss St, UGA, and bammer.  The coaches apparently do not have the ability to shift our offense to a pass first attack with short slants and passes over the middle.  After seeing USM use crossing routes and pseudo pick plays I said USM has a much more advance passing attack versus our passing game.  I think our D keeps us in most games (not UGA and bammer - both blowouts).  We play Miss State close but they beat us at home.  We will fight tough games against UT, TAMU, Ole Miss.  Probably an 7-5 season with not much optimism about the OL and RB for next year.  I think Stidham leaves either way after this year.  Pros or grad transfer.  He knows he needs to be on a passing team that has an OL and pass routes to get open.  Sounds like the sky is falling.  If Gus was a quality HC that cared about AU he would go ahead and start looking for a new OL coach that can coach and recruit and a new RB coach.  But we all know that is not going to happen.  I have seen nothing the last two weeks that show our offense is improving.  Harsh reality.

It seems like we need major overhauls in one aspect of the game or another every other year.  :no:

7 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

That's sort of a distinction without a difference. ;)

Edited by homersapien

I'm all for the occasional pass on first down, but unless we can somewhat confidently pick up at least 4 yards on first down we will always be playing behind the chains.  If you have 2nd and 6 (or better), you can be afford to be unpredictable with play choices. 

Look at the Bama and UGA.  They can pretty much depend on picking up 4 or more on first down.  They play downhill while we've been playing uphill. (Not to mention our penalties.)  Good teams create 3rd and short's while we seem to create 3rd and long's.  

A minimum of 4 yds on first down is "no-brainer" football and it's exactly what Gus wants.  That's why he always mentions improving the running game at the end of every game.  But this year, we don't seem to have the elements for a good running game. (I have no idea why - other than the obvious assumptions.)

Without a running game we'd have to have an insanely good passing game (Air Gus?) to have a chance in this conference, plus the OL play to let it work. I doubt we'd try that even if it were remotely feasible, which I don't think it is.   

Thanks to our defense, we'll have close games until we get to the heavyweights, but there's only so much you can ask of even a good defense and there's no way we'll have a chance against really good teams with a completely ineffective offense.  

Without an adequate running game we are toast.  Gus knows that and unless he finds enough tweaks to make it happen, this could get real ugly.

This message was presented by the Society of the Obvious

Edited by homersapien

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Still operating on the premise that Gus is calling the plays?   

Check Statiger's comments a few hours ago.....offense does not look the same and once again I am of the view that our QB is much of the problem.

I'm wondering how many "pass plays" end up with a ball not being thrown to whoever was the primary or secondary receiver.   Seems to me that too many of our passing attempts do nothing....busted plays with an attempt to run,  balls dumped out of bounds and a few sacks too.... ..must be close to a fourth of our plays?  ?  

I do still think Gus dictates plays for situations.  I would like to see the play card that Chip has to call plays from. The offense looks different because we don't have a read option QB.  Also looks different because we are using different formations and much less pre snap motions.  IMO, many of our plays are the same plays we have run for 10 years under Gus. 

You are correct about our pass plays. But, I don't put it all on Stidham. Our WR have run the same routes for 10 years. Our OLine does not give Stidham time for the slow developing routes to develop.  The QB has his head on a swivel not knowing where the pressures will come from.  When he does have time he hits his target. 

As much as I hate Saben you have to admit he wins games. As a defensive minded coach they pretty much run his defense every year. But he constantly tweeks it as folks figure it out. When Gus brought in the hurry up he went to smaller and faster LBs and DBs. Good coaches understand that you have to constantly improve. He has no problem bringing in outside ideas. I fact he hires all kind of assistants to do nothing more than watch film of his team and point out tendencies that other coaches might see. You have to be able to Honestly look at your faults and tendencies and make changes. Like the old saying you can’t fix the problem until you are able to admit it is a problem. Gus’s biggest problem is he is always trying to feed his ego. No matter the result it has to be someone else’s fault. If he doesn’t get over it he will never be a really good coach.

• Like 1